HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 3:10 AM
Austinite

Here are a few shots of the Domain construction from this past Friday (7/20):

Parking garage structure. The apartments will wrap around it. Possibly some retail/offices on the ground floor.

Esperanza Crossing

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 6:15 AM

man, I hate the domain....and I don't use that term lightly...I hate it.

ANYTOWN USA -- FOUNDED BY SIMON MALLS INC.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 6:55 AM

At least (some of) it's mixed-use. A lot of people miss the point when they criticize these kinds of projects. What's important is the mixed-use buildings, which will be there a LOT LONGER than any of the current retailers will be.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 2:13 PM
Austinite

Simon's development is pretty much built out at this point (with the exception of the Lone Star Court 'motel') What you see pictured is separate. I'm encouraged thus far.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
At least (some of) it's mixed-use. A lot of people miss the point when they criticize these kinds of projects. What's important is the mixed-use buildings, which will be there a LOT LONGER than any of the current retailers will be.
I agree, they understand mixed-use. Check. But none of it matters due to how incredibly far out it is. It promotes sprawl. The end.

...and it's vanilla and staged. Sorry y'all, I'll say what I feel next time.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 5:30 PM
~Hook'em~

Ahealy you are turning into Spaceman or .... M1EK! What has happened to our old lovable Ahealy?!? I want him back! lol

Regarding the Domain... I don't know anything about it. I rarely go past Seton, and never past Anderson Ln. That is just to far away for me. Like a 45 min ride on my scooter and like almost two hours by bus (or so Google tells me).

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 6:05 PM

Does anyone know what is going up at Burnet and I believe 45th or thereabouts?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
I agree, they understand mixed-use. Check. But none of it matters due to how incredibly far out it is. It promotes sprawl. The end.

...and it's vanilla and staged. Sorry y'all, I'll say what I feel next time.
if austin doesn't go much north of the domain in terms of "sprawl" i think we'd be doing pretty well comparably to other major texas cities (houston, dallas, san antonio). most other major texas cities you'd have to drive out to the middle of no where, very far from the primary downtown area (there is a plano development very similar to the domain that keeps coming to mind). i'm not saying that the location is ideal, or really a good place for an uptown/2nd downtown area, but i think it could be so much worse. if we were going to by dallas standards this thing would be in like georgetown or leander...i think domain's location is a little better than we are we willing to admit-- even though it's still not optimal.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 7:11 PM

*i think i was thinking of the legacy in plano/shops at legacy area

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earousseau View Post
if austin doesn't go much north of the domain in terms of "sprawl" i think we'd be doing pretty well comparably to other major texas cities (houston, dallas, san antonio). most other major texas cities you'd have to drive out to the middle of no where, very far from the primary downtown area (there is a plano development very similar to the domain that keeps coming to mind). i'm not saying that the location is ideal, or really a good place for an uptown/2nd downtown area, but i think it could be so much worse. if we were going to by dallas standards this thing would be in like georgetown or leander...i think domain's location is a little better than we are we willing to admit-- even though it's still not optimal.
You're right, it could be wayyy worse...I will never look at the domain as a "2nd downtown/uptown". To me that just sounds like fluffy developer talk--Someone trying to sell me a mixed-use outdoor mall as the new hip Austin destination....It just feels temporary.

and I'm still the tall building loving ahealy! I just think the Laura Morrison in me comes out with some projects.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 7:30 PM

I agree with Ahealy about the Domain. Sure, it's mixed use but it's still pretty far and its design is pretty bad. For something that's trying to promote a urban mixed use, there seems to be too many parking and the whole design just looks too much like a mall.

It's fun to go there and just walk around and check it out... but it's not that downtown feeling you get. To me, it looks like a film-set of a more modern town and at night it just looks like a ghost town with nobody around. It's a strange design to say the least.

I still personally say it would be awesome if they'd of built it much closer to downtown. Or if anything, they should at the very least make a urban rail that will connect people from downtown to there. I feel like the only people that go there are the rich people that live in the Arboretum and Great Hills area.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
I still personally say it would be awesome if they'd of built it much closer to downtown. Or if anything, they should at the very least make a urban rail that will connect people from downtown to there. I feel like the only people that go there are the rich people that live in the Arboretum and Great Hills area.
done.

http://bit.ly/LJwY2H

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 8:14 PM

Quote:
haha, def not done. and how many of the regular domain shoppers use metro rail?? NONE. Ok, maybe 5 or so.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 8:15 PM

Live Nation to Book Circuit of the Americas

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 8:17 PM

Quote:
haha, def not done. and how many of the regular domain shoppers use metro rail?? NONE. Ok, maybe 5 or so.
i doubt you are going to get a metro rail and urban rail within the same proximity in that area-- i know this just goes back to how impractical this location is. i'm just saying, you want mass transit rails that connect downtown to the domain, well it already exists, maybe not in the form that you want, but it's there.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 8:27 PM

Quote:
i doubt you are going to get a metro rail and urban rail within the same proximity in that area-- i know this just goes back to how impractical this location is. i'm just saying, you want mass transit rails that connect downtown to the domain, well it already exists, maybe not in the form that you want, but it's there.
True true. Which further proves that the domain is just a far outdoor mall in North Austin...not uptown or downtown II.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 8:30 PM

Quote:
also this looks amazing. hope it turns out to even somewhat resemble this.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 8:33 PM

Quote:
also this looks amazing. hope it turns out to even somewhat resemble this.
I think (hope) it will. They don't have very much time to change things around. The tower will be complete for the inaugural November race

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 8:35 PM
~Hook'em~

I just can't fathom or understand a "Downtown" that lacks anything even remotely close to a grid street pattern.

I mean there are some downtowns where calling it a grid is kind of a stretch (Boston, San Antonio, and a few others) but the Domain isn't even close.

Without that most basic of a foundation to start with (a grid) I just can't see it as ever being a downtown.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
I just can't fathom or understand a "Downtown" that lacks anything even remotely close to a grid street pattern.

I mean there are some downtowns where calling it a grid is kind of a stretch (Boston, San Antonio, and a few others) but the Domain isn't even close.

Without that most basic of a foundation to start with (a grid) I just can't see it as ever being a downtown.
i think my absolute biggest beef with the domain is paying that much for being that far out. i mean when you are at the domain and the residential prices are close to comparable/comparable to downtown, what's the point?

on another note... i meant to say this earlier, but i've been reading the austin skyscrapers thread/forum for a couple of years now, and i just want to thank everyone for putting this together and maintaining it. it's been great to learn more about the projects in and around town, and just generally be in the know.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations