HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Dec 27, 2020, 5:37 AM

I guess I'm the only one that don't mind these Soviet style buildings. The giant glass walls of Toronto and Vancouver aren't architectural marvels either. At least our concrete buildings are more energy efficient.

The Loblaws and Walmart at Blair would be pretty easy to get to.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-modal View Post
Its closer to a 500m+ walk. One of the big problems with Lees Station is they put the TPSS in the way of where you would add a northeastern entrance to the station, which makes it a longer walking distance for people coming from the east/north. It doesn't make much of a difference now, but it will make it much more difficult to integrate any sort of pedestrian bridge across the 417 to/from the north.

I thought the area you mark as a TPSS was a city wastewater pumping facility. It doesn't look like new build:

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4165...7i16384!8i8192

As others have mentioned, the pathway along the tracks seems like the best way to access the station, though the connections at both ends are crap and the south end requires a massive detour to find an accessible route. A direct access to the platform would be nice.

Looking at this map reminds me of how disappointing it is that the Lees avenue bridge was replaced as-is, instead of a design that would straighten out the screwy street network in this area. I would have preferred a new bridge be built straight south from Chapel street, with Hurdman coming up to meet it where Lees and Chapel currently meet. Without Robinson going under it, this bridge would be shorter, straight, and could be built traditionally instead of requiring rapid replacement. Oh well.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 2:07 AM

You're right, that's not a TPSS. The nearest is between Lees and uOttawa stations.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 4:02 PM

Seems this horrendous proposal will be residential, not student housing.

This to me is the equivalent of the slab towers of the 70s. The cheapest, most basic, utilitarian crap you can build. I certainly hope that the rents (or prices) reflect the absolute garbage this truly is. If that's the case it may be worth it, but I'm sure they will charge the same as, say, the far better proposal near Cyrville Station.

Quote:
Montreal developer files five-building plan for former Iranian Cultural Centre site in Sandy Hill

OBJ Staff
January 29, 2021

Montreal developer Place Dor​ée Real Estate Holdings has filed a proposal to build about 1,600 residential units on the site of the former Iranian Cultural Centre in Sandy Hill.

A Montreal company wants to build more than 1,600 residential units as part of a five-tower development at the former site of the Iranian Cultural Centre in Sandy Hill.

Place Dor​ée Real Estate Holdings has filed an application with the city for a plan that would see four highrises of 30 storeys each as well as a nine-storey building at 2 Robinson Ave.

Located near the intersection of Nicholas Street and the Queensway, the wedge-shaped, 5.7-acre plot of land used to be the home of the Iranian Cultural Centre. The facility closed in 2012 after the federal government under then-prime minister Stephen Harper expelled Iranian diplomats from Canada.

Squatters later occupied the boarded-up building, which was damaged by two fires and eventually torn down.

Now, Place Dor​ée is seeking to redevelop the property with two pairs of 30-storey buildings on the south side of the site, each connected by a six-storey mixed-use podium. The four highrises would contain a total of 1,380 suites, while an L-shaped nine-storey building at the north end of the property would feature 243 units.

The proposal also calls for 934 underground parking spaces, 823 of which would be reserved for residents. The developer is also planning to create a half-acre public park on the southwest corner of the site along Lees Avenue.

The application doesn’t specify whether the units would be rental apartments or condos.

However, the property is located less than half a kilometre from the University of Ottawa’s main campus, and development plans for other nearby properties have proposed rental projects aimed at students.

In its application, Place Dor​ée notes that the university’s master plan includes a potential student housing highrise next door at 1 Robinson Ave. that could accommodate up to 1,180 units with more than 4,000 beds as well as ground-floor commercial and retail space.

The builder is requesting an amendment to the current secondary plan, which limits buildings to 20 storeys on the southern portion of the site and six storeys on the north side. The current zoning rules would also need to be amended to accommodate various changes to setback requirements and a slight reduction in the minimum separation between towers.

Noting that the property is within 400 metres of the Lees LRT station, the application says the plan offers “a significant opportunity for redevelopment of an underutilized property” near the downtown core.

“Providing high-density residential uses, the development will promote the use of transit and increase housing options,” the builder adds. “The proposed development has been designed in a manner that will further support increased pedestrian and cycling infrastructure in the area.”

Place Dor​ée did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
https://obj.ca/index.php/article/rea...anian-cultural

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 7:09 PM

I attended an Active Transportation zoom meeting last night and city staff mentioned that they are working to create a connection from this development to the MUP along the O-Train Line 1 corridor.

Presumably somewhere around here:

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 7:54 PM

Good to hear. Lots of ped/cyclist improvements needed in this area. Anything helps.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 8:03 PM

Unpopular opinion here, I like the design as a whole. The quarter circle base is a nice idea and the middle entrance through the two towers has a dramatic effect. I get the RLA hate for cookie cutter design but I think its more interesting then 4 brown brick buildings with tiny windows.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 7:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald's Racoon View Post
Unpopular opinion here, I like the design as a whole. The quarter circle base is a nice idea and the middle entrance through the two towers has a dramatic effect. I get the RLA hate for cookie cutter design but I think its more interesting then 4 brown brick buildings with tiny windows.
Who let this guy in with an opinion like that?

I agree, it could be far worse. If that "active frontage" ends up being some basic retail (corner store, small grocer, pharmacy) and a coffee shop, restaurant or fast food joint, it will help make this proposal worthwhile. Have some official entrances for commercial and resudential on the inside and outside of the courtyard, and it may not be too bad.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Who let this guy in with an opinion like that?

I agree, it could be far worse. If that "active frontage" ends up being some basic retail (corner store, small grocer, pharmacy) and a coffee shop, restaurant or fast food joint, it will help make this proposal worthwhile. Have some official entrances for commercial and resudential on the inside and outside of the courtyard, and it may not be too bad.
Agreed, any sort of commercial space will make the area more livable and add a lot to the surrounding neighborhoods. And maybe we wont need that ramp at 36 Robinson

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 12:21 AM

Montreal builder revamps plan for multi-tower project at former Iranian Cultural Centre site in Sandy Hill
Robinson Avenue proposal
BY: David Sali. OBJ

PUBLISHED:
Jul 7, 2021 5:10pm EDT

A Montreal developer has rejigged its plan to build a multi-tower residential project at a prominent site in Sandy Hill, reducing the proposed number of buildings from five to four while adding new amenity spaces and significantly altering the overall design.

Place Dor​ée Real Estate Holdings’ original application filed with the city in January called for four highrises of 30 storeys each as well as a nine-storey building at 2 Robinson Ave.

Located near the intersection of Nicholas Street and the Queensway, the wedge-shaped, 5.7-acre plot of land used to be the home of the Iranian Cultural Centre. The facility closed in 2012 after the federal government under then-prime minister Stephen Harper expelled Iranian diplomats from Canada.

Squatters later occupied the boarded-up building, which was damaged by two fires and eventually torn down.

In revised planning documents submitted last month, Place Dor​ée says it’s now looking to build two 28-storey towers and a pair of 32-storey highrises on the site in a new configuration that leaves more room for green space and other amenities.

The developer did not immediately respond to requests for comment on Wednesday. In an email update to constituents, city planner Andrew McCreight said the revised plan was submitted “in response to comments” from residents.

Fewer residential units
The L-shaped nine-storey building that was proposed for the north end of the property in the original concept has been scrapped. Instead, much of that space will now be dedicated to amenity areas, according to an architecture package submitted with the application.

The total number of residential units in the updated proposal has been cut from 1,625 to 1,463. The new-look plan includes slightly more parking, proposing 953 spaces, most of them underground, as opposed to 934 spots in the previous version.

Meanwhile, the developer appears to have made efforts to improve the flow of pedestrian traffic on the site, putting a little more breathing room between buildings. In addition, the revised plan now includes a public amphitheatre located just east of the northernmost tower.

The three highrises on the south end of the site would feature a total of 27,000 square feet of ground-floor commercial space fronting on to Lees Avenue and a half-acre park that is planned for the southeast corner of the property.

Amphitheatre
The revised plan for 2 Robinson Ave. includes a public amphitheatre.
The application doesn’t specify whether the units would be rental apartments or condos.

However, the property is located less than half a kilometre from the University of Ottawa’s main campus, and development plans for other nearby properties have proposed rental projects aimed at students.

Place Dor​ée notes that the university’s master plan includes a potential student housing highrise across the road at 1 Robinson Ave. that could accommodate up to 1,180 units with more than 4,000 beds as well as ground-floor commercial and retail space.

The builder is requesting an amendment to the current secondary plan, which limits buildings to 20 storeys on the southern portion of the site and six storeys on the north side. Place Dor​ée is also seeking minor zoning changes, including permission to allow stacked bicycle parking.

Noting that the property is within 400 metres of the Lees LRT station, the application says the plan offers “a significant opportunity for redevelopment of an underutilized property” near the downtown core.

“By providing high-density residential uses and opportunity for commercial development, the development will promote the use of public transit, active transportation, and increase housing and supportive commercial options in the area,” the consultant’s report filed on behalf of Place Dor​ée says.

https://www.obj.ca/article/montreal-...tre-site-sandy

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 12:47 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

The proposal for the subject property would see development of four (4) residential and mixed-use buildings with a total of 1,463 residential units, 2,508.3m² of commercial space, and 953 vehicle parking spaces. Below is a description of the proposed development.
  • Building A is located at the southwest corner of the site and consists of one 28 storey residential tower atop a one-storey and six-storey U-shaped mixed-use podium. The podium will contain at-grade commercial fronting onto Lees Avenue. Underground vehicle parking is accessed via the central space from the east of the building. This building is proposed to contain 377 residential units.
  • Buildings B and C (“B&C”) are located at the southeast corner of the site, and consist of two 32 storey residential towers, connected by a one-storey and six-storey mixed-use podium. Underground parking is accessed to the west of the building. Ground floor commercial space fronts onto Lees Avenue and the dedicated parkland to the east. These buildings are proposed to contain a total of 735 residential units.
  • Building D is located at the northern portion of the site and consists of one 28 storey residential building atop a six-storey podium, proposed to contain 351 units. Underground parking is accessed to the west of the building.

Commercial use will be located at-grade in Buildings A and B&C, with frontage along Lees Avenue and the dedicated park space in the eastern portion of the site. The remainder of the buildings will contain residential units, with mechanical penthouses atop each building. A combination of common amenity areas and private balconies are proposed for each building, including common amenity spaces located at-grade in all buildings. A 2,295 square metre public park is proposed at the southeast corner of the site with frontage along both Lees Avenue and Chapel Crescent. Additional landscaped areas along Lees Avenue, within central courtyards, and to the north of the property are provided.

Vehicular access is provided off Lees Avenue at the existing intersection of Lees Avenue and Robinson Avenue, which will be improved to a four-way intersection with traffic signals to accommodate the proposed development. This allows for vehicle access to a central area which contains pick-up, drop-off, and loading areas, with some surface visitor parking. Underground parking is accessed via three locations: to the east of Building A, to the west of Buildings B&C, and at the southwest corner of Building D. A total of 953 vehicle parking spaces will be provided for the site, of which 833 spaces will be provided for residents and 120 spaces will be provided for visitors. Building A will contain 309 vehicle parking spaces, Buildings B&C will contain 294 vehicle parking spaces, and Building D will contain 326 vehicle parking spaces.

A total of 1,495 bicycle parking spaces are proposed for the site, with 1,483 for residential use and 12 provided for commercial uses. Building A will contain 383 bicycle parking spaces, Buildings B&C will contain 789 bicycle parking spaces, and Building D will contain 334 bicycle parking spaces. Of those provided, 1,463 will be located internally while 32 will be located externally.

Architect: Still rla Architecture

Development application:
https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...0-0028/details

Siteplan:

Renderings:

Selected Floorplans:

Last edited by rocketphish; Jul 8, 2021 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Added more imagery

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 1:00 AM

It looks like the new plans are already posted on Dev apps, looks like the "removed" 6 story building was just worked into the towers as larger podiums. Supermarche? could that be a supermarket, that Robinson village so desperately wants...

NVM, Waterloo warrior beat me to it, lol, Thank you btw https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...0-0028/details

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 1:33 AM

Far better massing, still incredibly underwhelming architecture.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 2:01 AM

Why does this city get so many mediocre proposals? I'd love to be excited by a mixed use development in this city at least once in my life.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 12:02 PM

They eyesore is going to repeatedly cause a pileup on the 417... we can do better...

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 12:56 PM

I prefer the layout, variation and height and design (at least the towers, maybe not the podium). Still not great, but I can live with this. Good to see significant retail, including (maybe) a much needed supermarket.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 6:27 PM

I think I preferred the previous layout, it was more symmetrical and dramatic. The new balconies are nicer now but the colours are a little boring. Hoping they give it one more update before finalizing.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 2:06 PM

Approved by planning.

Fleury directions passed by committee:

1. Add signalized intersection at Lees and Robinson.
2. Consideration to establish a pedestrian crossing across Lees north of the development site to connect with MUP along Confederation Line.
3. During site plan, review and consider missing links (cycling and ped).

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 2:41 PM

Although I'm not a fan of the boring Ottawachitecture, I am actually excited about ANYTHING to distract the eye from the horrid old apartments at Lees. They are a pretty nasty sight as you arrive downtown from the East.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2022, 1:36 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

This building can also be titled as approved.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa