HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Manulife Place in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Edmonton Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Aug 23, 2009, 3:00 AM

EDMONTON | Manulife Place | 146 M / 479 FT | 36 FL | 1983

Thought I would show Edmonton's tallest building, Manulife Place. It's at 146 m which is almost the tallest a building can go in the downtown (max is 150 m / ~500ft) currently due to a small airfield (it used to be Edmonton's main airport, but for the past few decades Edm Int'l has been the main airport) about 15 blocks north of the downtown. Why so close to the city? Well when it was built, it was on the outskirts of town and people never dreamed of skyscrapers in Edmonton. And the airport was built on former HBC reserve lands, meaning pre-WWII the city had to grow around it, so the city's old neighbourhoods aren't directly north of the dt, a few neighbourhoods then the airport are. But a couple months ago, the council decided for a staged closure for the airport and in 5-15 yrs depending, the height restrictions will be lifted.

Anyways here is a little about Manulife Place from Wikipedia:

Quote:
Manulife Place is a highrise office building and shopping centre in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. It was completed in 1983 to the design by Clifford Lawrie Bolton Ritchie Architects. It is located at the corner of 102 Avenue and 101 Street.

The two level shopping concourse houses luxury Holt Renfrew's Edmonton store as well as many upscale shops. It connects by skywalk bridge to Edmonton City Centre and Commerce Place. The shopping centre features 22 stores and 3 restaurants. Its namesake is Manulife Financial.

Manulife Place is well known around Edmonton for its annual "Manulife Night" which offers customers 10% of every purchase back in "Manulife dollars" which can be used at any store in the complex.

At 146 meters (479 ft) tall, with 36 floors, it is the tallest building in Edmonton,[1] But with the completion of Station Lands tower expected to be completed in 2012 it will become the tallest building in Edmonton at 149 meters (489 ft).
Quote:
The location of Manulife Place was formerly the home of the King Edward Hotel which stood on the site from 1904 to 1982, before being destroyed by fire.
And pictures:

Credit: raptortheangel

Credit: wburris

Manulife is behind it's "sister" Commerce Place:

Credit: wburris

Old Posted Aug 23, 2009, 3:13 AM
I am a typical

http://www.cosmoloan.com/loans/ten-s...-industry.html
"EVERY BODY GETS A CORNER OFFICE!!!"

You know, the cut off for a building to be a skyscraper is generally 150m. This kinda means Edmonton doesn't have skyscrapers. We make some exceptions if the building is isolated but since Edmonton has so many highrises we can't even bend the rules and let it in. It's a nice building though, good geometry and the glazing doesn't look shitty like so many other buildings from the era.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2009, 3:26 AM

^What do you mean? The section is Buildings/Architecture and I never saw any 'height restrictions' for threads, I even think I saw a shorter building. It's not a skyscraper section.

Or were you just meaning in generally it technically isn't a 'skyscraper'?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2009, 4:33 AM
I am a typical

Just generally.

It is very close, though.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2010, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Just generally.

It is very close, though.
If thats not considered a skyscraper then I don't know what is. Aside from this website, where does it define that a skyscraper have to be 150m to be considered one? Enjoy this site very much. 1ST POST. ..Actually there is a couple sites that say 150m as well. Oops..put a flagpole above and that solves that.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture