HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 8:05 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post
I just hope the design isn't another box without any architectural elements to distinguish it from other buildings. I truly hope that we see something uniquely different for Nashville. Please Mainland Cos. Please give us something different.
Surely, given the shape of the lot this won't wind up being a box.... right?

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Hmmm...I can't help but think there is something else he should be focusing on... can't quite think of what that might be though...

It says Trump Hotels not Donald Trump.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 5:55 AM
Nashville born and raised

Soccer stadium planned for Fairgrounds site.

From the Nashville Post...

Quote:
Mayor Megan Barry wants to make The Fairgrounds Nashville the home of the city’s local soccer scene, whatever form it ultimately takes.

The plan is for the soccer venue to house Nashville SC, which will begin play in the United Soccer League in 2018. The USL, a second division league, requires teams to have a soccer specific stadium with a capacity of at least 5,000.

If the city’s bid to land an MLS expansion franchise ultimately is successful, the stadium then could be expanded to accommodate the demands of the country’s top professional soccer league. Nashville is one of 10 cities vying for four expansion spots in the coming year.
An idea of how a MLS stadium might fit on the site...

Mayor Barry wants to upgrade the former NASCAR 5/8 mile auto race track and preserve the existing exhibition buildings while adding recreational soccer fields. The big unknown is how will enough parking be provided.

But, this is good news for the Cities bid for a MLS expansion team as it firms up the plans for a stadium. The application is due by the end of the month. This means there will be no shared stadium with Vandy, however.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Surely, given the shape of the lot this won't wind up being a box.... right?
It's Nashville. Somehow developers find ways to build boxes and stay at or below 30 stories. The latter is already the case with this project. However, as I posted on Urban Planet, I hope that with SOM being used for design that we'll see something unique. Here's a link to some of their projects:

http://www.som.com/projects

There is one design that is not to extreme for Nashville that I'd like to see an alternate version of it proposed. It's the China Merchants Tower.

Just imagine if 505 had this design how much more impressive it would be. Still pretty much a box, but with distinctive architecture that draws attention to it. Anyway, a triangular version of this might be interesting for the SoBro site, even if they did they altered the height of each section.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
Soccer stadium planned for Fairgrounds site.

This might be curtains for the MLS attempt. They said they preferred for the stadiums to be downtown so there would be an atmosphere, buzz, energy, etc. The fairgrounds have none of that.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 3:58 PM

Quote:
I just hope the design isn't another box without any architectural elements to distinguish it from other buildings. I truly hope that we see something uniquely different for Nashville. Please Mainland Cos. Please give us something different.

They're going to build whatever they want or need in order to make a profit for themselves and their investors. Which is what it should be. I mean think about it. If you were developing something that costs 8 to 9 figures at your own financial risk, would you care yet alone cater to what some stranger on a message board wants?

Last edited by cecilism; Jan 27, 2017 at 4:11 PM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilism View Post
They're going to build whatever they want or need in order to make a profit for themselves and their investors. Which is what it should be. I mean think about it. If you were developing something that costs 8 to 9 figures at your own financial risk, would you care yet alone cater to what some stranger on a message board wants?
You don't need to tell me the obvious. No, I do not expect any developer to fulfill the wishes of anyone posting on a message board. I doubt they are even reading what is on this message board. But that doesn't mean that those of us engaging in conversation on this board can't express a sentiment of hope for what we'd like to see in architectural design for Nashville or any other city. If we simply can't express our likes and dislikes here, then there is no purpose to the message board other than to announce projects we've come across.

Now, if I happened to be a developer I actually would care what people think about the product I put out there for them to see. Why? Because an attractive building will draw more attention to my firms abilities and hopefully set me apart from my competition. They would say this developer is interested in building an image for my company not just a place to call an office. I certainly would not want to be the developer that people cringe at every time they read that I'm going to be starting a new project. I would not want to be known for creating nothing but bland designs. If developers didn't care you would not see the exceptional designs that we see around the world. They would all build simple concrete, steel and glass boxes with minimal design elements. But architecture is a way for the developer to share his art, interpretation and expression to the community he/she is helping to building. And, yes they do have to consider their costs. I'm very much aware of that. It is my hope that developers in Nashville will begin to stretch the limits of their designs within the budgets they have.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2017, 7:12 AM

Quote:
This might be curtains for the MLS attempt. They said they preferred for the stadiums to be downtown so there would be an atmosphere, buzz, energy, etc. The fairgrounds have none of that.
I (and others) like our chances, regardless.

The only other serious contending applicants with a proposed downtown stadium are Sacramento and Detroit, and I'll let others judge how much 'atmosphere, buzz and energy' their locations provide. The Wedgewood-Houston -Fairgrounds district is a red hot and fast developing area and Nolensville Road is to be on rail transit line per the proposed Regional Transit Plan. I don't doubt the area will be dotted with condos, apartment blocks, craft breweries and corner pubs not unlike..., well every other neighborhood in Nashville within 5 to 10 years.

For what it's worth, 0nly 7 of the 22 current franchises are within a mile of downtown.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 10:27 PM

New dormitory for Belmont University.

Standard issue for colleges. I've lived in much worse, however.

Belmont's growth has been impressive in the past decade with many beautiful buildings making it the fifth best urban campus in the USA by one ranking a few years ago.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 12:18 AM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
It says Trump Hotels not Donald Trump.
Don't be a sucker, they're one in the same. Needn't fret, it'll all come out in the impeachment hearings.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 4:18 AM
Future God

New Nonstop announced from Nashville to Calgary on Westjet.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 3:38 AM

A view of the SoBro district with the recently completed SoBro Apartments and the rising Bridgestone HQ (to be 30 stories).

The Cumberland River and it's beautiful bridges definitely enhance the aesthetics of the downtown area.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 2:48 AM

The Joseph received MDHA incentives by its commitment to earmarking rooms for conventions at the Music City Center. Look for it to start this summer.

Summer groundbreaking eyed for SoBro boutique hotel

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 8:42 PM

Quote:
I (and others) like our chances, regardless.

The only other serious contending applicants with a proposed downtown stadium are Sacramento and Detroit, and I'll let others judge how much 'atmosphere, buzz and energy' their locations provide. The Wedgewood-Houston -Fairgrounds district is a red hot and fast developing area and Nolensville Road is to be on rail transit line per the proposed Regional Transit Plan. I don't doubt the area will be dotted with condos, apartment blocks, craft breweries and corner pubs not unlike..., well every other neighborhood in Nashville within 5 to 10 years.

For what it's worth, 0nly 7 of the 22 current franchises are within a mile of downtown.
I guess everyone will find out in 2020.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 4:09 PM

From VARIETY...the Hollywood based newsletter focused on the movie industry, news of a new attraction to be built in Nashville and open next year on the East bank of the Cumberland Rive, a block north of Nissan Stadium.

Quote:
Called the August Moon Drive-In, the attraction takes a page from upscale dine-in exhibitors like Alamo Drafthouse as well as from immersive theater events like “Sleep No More.” The $10 million project aims to conjure a summer night in the sixties under a 40,000-square-foot, air-supported dome, complete with simulated starry sky, seating in modified classic cars and food service (with a full bar) focused on artisanal takes on comfort-food standards like burgers and milkshakes.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 11:20 PM

Quote:
If we simply can't express our likes and dislikes here, then there is no purpose to the message board other than to announce projects we've come across.

But architecture is a way for the developer to share his art, interpretation and expression to the community he/she is helping to building. And, yes they do have to consider their costs. I'm very much aware of that. It is my hope that developers in Nashville will begin to stretch the limits of their designs within the budgets they have.
I'm certainly not telling anyone what to post. Nor would I want to. People are free to post what they want no matter how repetitive it is. It's a free country. I just respond to posts that I read.

I don't see what it is you're talking about by the way. SoBro, Pinnacle, AT&T, One Nashville, JW Marriott, L & C, Fifth Third, and Nashville City Center are certainly not boxes.

Oh well. Moving on.

Last edited by cecilism; Feb 8, 2017 at 10:57 PM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 6:45 PM

Alrighty then....take this however you want to!

Disney Family Looking For Investors For 40 Story World One Hotel

The Nashville Business Journal is reporting this story although details have not been available to non-subscribing viewers yet.

Based on reporting on other websites, the project..
  1. will be at the base of the KVB Bridge in SoBro
  2. will have 829 rooms
  3. will have a 10 story guitar icon near the roof which will contain suites
  4. will have a 6 story shopping center
  5. and a virtual indoor Disney World of theaters, water parks, waterfalls and who knows what else.

This looks on the surface like the longest of long shots, but this is Nashville, a mythical place.

Last edited by MidTenn1; Feb 10, 2017 at 1:32 PM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 7:54 PM

Quote:

The Nashville Business Journal is reporting this story although details have not been available to non-subscribing viewers yet.

Based on reporting on other websites, the project..
  1. will be at the base of the KVB Bridge in SoBro
  2. will have 829 rooms
  3. will have a 10 story guitar icon near the roof which will contain suites
  4. will have a 6 story shopping center
  5. and a virtual indoor Disney World of theaters, water parks, waterfalls and who knows what else.

This looks on the surface like the longest of long shots, but this is Nashville, a mythical place.

Hmmmm.... Yeah this is a wait and see announcement. Minus the water parks, the idea actually sounds like the Planet Hollywood Hotel in Vegas which has several shops (like a small mall) and a variety of dinning options (both chain and independent).

I see once again we have an attempt to add a guitar into architectural design, which I'm okay with. Not totally sure with the execution on this design, but give'm credit for creativity. Maybe the guitar shaped building that was proposed a while ago might find its way back on the table after all....

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 10:07 PM
Burming Hammer

Quote:

Nashville’s U.S. representative, Jim Cooper (D), told me a joke he heard from Karl Dean, back when Dean was the city’s mayor. It goes, “What do you call Nashville without the music? Birmingham.”

hey now, pick on someone your own size!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:

What a smack down! And free of charge by a third party paper too. I bet that provoked angry e-mails from a southeasterly direction.

Last edited by cecilism; Feb 9, 2017 at 2:28 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations