HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I suppose there's irony there (in "affordable" folks drinking $4.50 cups of coffee).
The Philz at 1110 Ocean Avenue is also in a "deeply-affordable" building.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 3:11 PM

^^Does anybody know if at these projects where the affordable component is a separate but adjacent structure whether there is a single HOA/management or whether the market rate building and the affordable building each have their own? This is one aspect of the whole "affordable housing" program I've never understood. The market rate portion of the combined buildings and ownership substantially outnumbers the affordable portion and so it has always seemed to me the market rate owners might do things (renting retail spaces to very high end retailers is a trivial example) and incur costs for additional amenities or maintenance that might be a financial burden to affordable owners. On the other hand, if the buildings are managed separately then over the years a striking disparity may develop between the services in and even the maintenance of the buildings which could be emphasized by the fact they are next door to each other.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 8:21 AM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfishhead View Post
... The hotel at 3rd and Townsend has a crane up....
fwiw, here is the view over the fence

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 3:38 PM

Hotel Via by the ballpark appears just a few weeks away from opening. They're taking reservations for July and the rooftop bar is supposed to open later this month.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 5:12 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Are those terracotta or metal panels? The look great either way.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 7:49 PM

Very nice mid rise! Id love a few of those down here

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 10:34 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Are those terracotta or metal panels? The look great either way.
They're no doubt some sort of anodized aluminum. Yes, they do look good - this building turned out quite nicely.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
They're no doubt some sort of anodized aluminum. Yes, they do look good - this building turned out quite nicely.
"No doubt"? I assumed they were some sort of glazed lick-a-brick. Very similar looking to the monstrously ugly new Hampton Inn on Mission.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 7:09 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
"No doubt"? I assumed they were some sort of glazed lick-a-brick. Very similar looking to the monstrously ugly new Hampton Inn on Mission.
After seeing the building numerous times from around and while in the ballpark, I really think the color is ugly, not going well with its surroundings.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
After seeing the building numerous times from around and while in the ballpark, I really think the color is ugly, not going well with its surroundings.
also agree that the overall form and materials look good, and am glad to have the space activated, but the color ... well, it is across the street from the Giants - the only 'surroundings' it harmonizes with.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 10:42 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
also agree that the overall form and materials look good, and am glad to have the space activated, but the color ... well, it is across the street from the Giants - the only 'surroundings' it harmonizes with.
I couldn't agree more, except if that's the case, it should have been bright orange.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 9:44 AM

sidewalks opening on west side of Indiana in Dogpatch

the Exchange is really starting to mess up this view of the skyline. see, this is why Mission Bay shouldn't have been zoned so high (sarcasm!).

sidewalks on west (Tennessee St) side of AbacaSF (Third and 23rd) are going in... they appear ample (as well they might be - Tennessee St is quite wide itself)

the corner with 23rd St

the 23rd St side now that scaffolding is down

Bluxome Alley side of office building on Brannan and almost Fourth

not sure I was aware this one had started

passageway next to MTC building

the gas station next to Jasper is still just fenced off

Moscone

I didn't realize how much of the existing Moscone they were going to have to redo in this expansion

south side of Market between Sixth and Seventh. three shrouds

and a night shot of that one on Van Ness over by Jerry's building

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
south side of Market between Sixth and Seventh. three shrouds

There is one new infill building going up here--center shroud in the photo--but what's really interesting are several renovations of really beautiful older buildings including the one behind the far left shroud. I just hope they get going soon on the new projects on the north side of Market and also finish up the renovations on the corners at 7th St--far right shroud in the photo--and at McAllister (both hotels of one sort or another). When all this is done, Market St. could become the gem it should be (although something will need to be done about the scary street people--this has always seemed to me to be the scariest place in San Francisco to walk or sit outside at one of the new sidewalk dining spots; worse even than the Tenderloin whose scariness seems to me to be over-rated).

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 7:02 PM

Quote:
There is one new infill building going up here--center shroud in the photo--but what's really interesting are several renovations of really beautiful older buildings including the one behind the far left shroud. I just hope they get going soon on the new projects on the north side of Market and also finish up the renovations on the corners at 7th St--far right shroud in the photo--and at McAllister (both hotels of one sort or another). When all this is done, Market St. could become the gem it should be (although something will need to be done about the scary street people--this has always seemed to me to be the scariest place in San Francisco to walk or sit outside at one of the new sidewalk dining spots; worse even than the Tenderloin whose scariness seems to me to be over-rated).
VERY exciting what's happening on this block!

Although regarding the "scary people", don't forget this is SF so the Mayor and Supes will do absolutely nothing. The best we can hope for is that the scariness will be minimized by two factors:

1) They will get pushed further out to a less populated part of the city.
2) They will remain but the scariness will be diluted due to increased foot traffic and an improving ratio of other folks to street people.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 7:56 PM

^^My issue with the "scary" folk is personal. About 3 weeks ago I was sitting in the Subway near 9th St having a drink and reading a newspaper when one of them "went off" on me and chased me to the back of the store throwing a soda bottle at me with no provocation at all. And this has happened in this area before--not out on the sidewalk but inside businesses. It really needs to be controlled. I don't know why they are so concentrated on this section of Market vs farther downtown or farther out, but increased beat patrols by cops and other measures would sure help and if the area gets more and more "market rate" residents I'm hoping they demand help from their Supe (allas, the unfortunate Jane Kim I think) and/or the SFPD.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BushMan View Post
1) They will get pushed further out to a less populated part of the city.
two stabbings in the Excelsior/Mission Terrace in 24 hours

http://hoodline.com/2017/06/3-stabbi...-san-francisco

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 6:51 AM

Schlage Lock

went down to take a better look at the Schlage Lock site since I had noticed some digging from the train recently. and... essentially all I can tell from the closer look is that they have been digging. looking south from sort of above the Caltrain tunnel

from farther to the right of the previous photo

looking east

looking back north toward where the first couple pics were taken

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 7:06 AM

also happened by the housing going up to replace the Alice Griffith projects in the Hunters Point area. (the building in the foreground of the first pic I don't think is part of it.)

here you can see the existing housing on the left and the new stuff still needing some finishing touches

one more section is not as far along

from above, you can see the existing housing on the left in mid-distance, and the new buildings to its right. (Hunters Point ex-Naval-Shipyard in the distance, and beyond it barely visible is the new housing of The Shipyard development)

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 7:19 AM

some good skyline views from Bayview Park (I think that's what that hill above where Candlestick Park used to be is called?)

btw, some decent-looking (in my opinion) housing has gone up along Jamestown St on the north side of that hill:

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 4:07 PM

Quote:
I suppose there's irony there (in "affordable" folks drinking $4.50 cups of coffee).
Did you know, you can bring in any size stainless steel water bottle, like a hydro flask, and they will refill it to the best of their capabilities for the size of a small? I have a 64oz hydro flask and they usually fill it to ~32oz (normal price is $3.50 for 8oz and $4.50 for 12oz I believe).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations