HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
All's well that ends well for the Bombers. That was an enjoyable game.
A couple of points: great game but I got the feeling that some of the fickle Bomber fans would smell blood when it looked like they were gonna blow it. The camera focused on Osh who had a resigned, frustrated grin on his face and I had the feeling, if they lost, that image would be the one that made the headlines.

Brad Sinopoli put the damper on a pretty good game for him by fumbling. He seems to be the guy who that happens to while the good breaks go to his fellow 'bud" Ellingson. But if you get as many balls thrown your way as Sinopoli, chances are they're not all going to be sunshine and roses.

Sinopoli has a big lead in receptions over the second place Brandon Banks to top the league. He is also the top receiving target but may lose that lead with the upcoming games. Andrew Harris had a big game to come back on William Powell. Going head to head against Powell last night, Harris was IIRC about 40 yards behind going into the game. Early on, Powell reeled out a 40 yard run and I figured Harris was toast, but he did what he does best and ran for over 132 yards. Just looking, I was surprised to see Powell had 95. Harris is only three yards off the league lead.

Last edited by elly63; Oct 6, 2018 at 1:51 PM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2018, 1:23 AM

If you are Bombers fan, I am sure Friday's game was really good. But despite it going into OT, half the stadium had already vacated. From the RedBlacks fan base point of view, it was an exasperating game. Give full credit to the Bombers, but most Ottawa fans feel that the RedBlacks underperformed.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2018, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Give full credit to the Bombers, but most Ottawa fans feel that the RedBlacks underperformed.
Gawd almighty, are people that finicky and whiny? Maybe they did underperform for some/much of the game but they were able to perform under pressure when it counted and were just a few yards away from possibly changing the result.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2018, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Gawd almighty, are people that finicky and whiny? Maybe they did underperform for some/much of the game but they were able to perform under pressure when it counted and were just a few yards away from possibly changing the result.
As someone who was in the stadium, it was far from an exciting game except for the last minute and in overtime. Even then, the game was littered with penalties galore.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 1:18 PM

^ Agreed, I was in the stadium as well and it wasn't the best executed game I've witnessed by any means by either team but Ottawa showcased what the CFL game is all about with their play in the final 4 1/2 minutes. Too bad it was followed up with a pile of stinker games on the weekend.

Back to the Ottawa/Winnipeg game. I've been really pleased with the officiating this year, in fact it's been better by 10 fold compared to recent years. Some instances on Friday night were ridiculous especially when the command centre was involved. Taking what felt like a minimum of 5 minutes on challenges when the calls (no matter which way they went) were bloody evident. And then there was a circumstance where the command centre stopped the game after an Ellingson catch and the only reason I can think of why they stopped the play was they needed to take a piss. As for the refs, most calls I agreed with but some of the unnecessary roughness calls seemed a bit unfair for October football especially in OT.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 1:20 PM

Wow, those were some boring games on Monday.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25grapes View Post
Back to the Ottawa/Winnipeg game. I've been really pleased with the officiating this year, in fact it's been better by 10 fold compared to recent years. Some instances on Friday night were ridiculous especially when the command centre was involved. Taking what felt like a minimum of 5 minutes on challenges when the calls (no matter which way they went) were bloody evident. And then there was a circumstance where the command centre stopped the game after an Ellingson catch and the only reason I can think of why they stopped the play was they needed to take a piss. As for the refs, most calls I agreed with but some of the unnecessary roughness calls seemed a bit unfair for October football especially in OT.
The league has really cleaned up the interminable challenges and delays that were plaguing the game for a few years, but you're right, Friday's game felt like a bit of a throwback to 2016. I was watching the game on a 1 hour delay so I just jumped through all of those, but they are a real buzzkill when you're watching in the stadium.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 2:08 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
Agreed. Good grief. You know there's nothing to see when the CFL highlights package is including ten yard catches to pad the highlights.

I listened to the Edmonton / Saskatchewan game while cleaning up the yard and I could have turned on the last five minutes and got all the actual highlights. 1 defensive touchdown and eight field goals from the two teams.

The Riders were a penalty-fest for much of the game.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
In the NFL those would be called titanic defensive struggles.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25grapes View Post
^ Agreed, I was in the stadium as well and it wasn't the best executed game I've witnessed by any means by either team but Ottawa showcased what the CFL game is all about with their play in the final 4 1/2 minutes. Too bad it was followed up with a pile of stinker games on the weekend.

There were comments in our section that the unnecessary roughness call in overtime was based on something you would see in a soccer match. The player reaction was over the top, and was designed to solicit the call, which it did.

Winnipeg deserved to win based on a combination of their great offensive game plan and Ottawa's horrible defensive play.

The latter, the interminable play reviews and all the penalties encouraged a good portion of the crowd to leave early. More than 55 minutes of the game were unwatchable for a clearly partisan home audience.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 3:16 AM

^ Now that you mention it, I thought it kind of looked like the stadium emptied out by the time overtime started... that was a bit of a surprise given that it was a pretty good game. Even when the Bombers were leading it's not like they were blowing out the RBs. It didn't even look all that cold outside...

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Now that you mention it, I thought it kind of looked like the stadium emptied out by the time overtime started... that was a bit of a surprise given that it was a pretty good game. Even when the Bombers were leading it's not like they were blowing out the RBs. It didn't even look all that cold outside...
It was chilly but that wasn't the reason why people left. The comeback in the last few minutes was not expected. The RedBlacks had completely stalled after the first quarter.

For Bomber fans and third party fans, it was probably a pretty good game. For Ottawa fans, it was crap. It has also become too common that the RedBlacks play terribly in front of the home fans. Early in the season, I commented in the Calgary home game, that I would have rather have had a nap than watch the game. Until the last few minutes, this game was not much better. I always stay to the last second, but I found the game very frustrating and it was really tempting to leave at the start of the 4th quarter, once it got to a two score lead.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 1:35 PM

Smile

Ya I've learnt several times never to give up on a CFL game. I took my brother who is not a CFL watcher and he was saying that the game was over down 15 with 5 minutes to go. My reply was based on Ottawa's play then yes the game was over but... this is the CFL and it's never over til the last whistle. I really thought that there was another Ottawa comeback against Winnipeg (remember last year in WPG) but then the soccer game started at TD place in OT.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 1:55 PM

It's starting to be an interesting story developing in BC. Harvey calls out Jennings in a pretty ballsy accusation by attacking his worth ethic. Jennings didn't have the greatest game but won the game anyways, and now I hear that Lulay is starting this week against Calgary. If I didn't think that Jennings time in BC is coming to an end, it certainly is looking that way now.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2018, 2:21 AM
Community Guy

Woo! GO ESKS GO!

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 14, 2018, 2:40 AM

What happened to sask? Lol

Old Posted Oct 14, 2018, 3:04 AM

BC beats Calgary

Old Posted Oct 14, 2018, 5:17 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
BC beats Calgary
Well, not happy with the Stamps loss but at least it keeps the Esks in last.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2018, 5:18 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerstud98 View Post
What happened to sask? Lol
The Riders are crap. Winnipeg finally exposed that today.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2018, 5:23 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
In the NFL those would be called titanic defensive struggles.
Haha - so true

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada