HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 5:03 AM
Everywhere all at once

My god, I didn't realize any new tower projects were that far out of the ground! The Tysons urban experiment is inspiring and I think it will demonstrate how we can engineer urban areas for the future.

Keep those updates rollin'!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
Hopefully the Tesla will be my next car. I visit their Tyson's store every time I walk into Tyson's I. The last time I was there, this past Wednesday, the vehicle in the background was black.
Not to get too far off topic but I've seen a few of the Tesla Model-S cars around here in DC and it is a very impressive car. I prefer to bike but I certainly hope it is my next car as well.

Regarding the Silver line, I was thinking it would be fantastic if both Phase I of the Silver line and the H Street streetcar opened on the same day later this year.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 3:06 PM
life is good

I was out visiting with some folks who live near the Vienna Metro station this past weekend. They will be even closer to one of the Silver Line stops and are now getting super excited. I can't wait for it to open! Agreed about the street car too, that is a block from my house. Great time for transit in the dc area!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
Hopefully the Tesla will be my next car. I visit their Tyson's store every time I walk into Tyson's I. The last time I was there, this past Wednesday, the vehicle in the background was black.
Next time you're over here, check out the Tesla parking and charging stations in the garage across from the Nordstrom's entrance. It's on the first floor, below the bus shelters on Fashion BLVD. It seems like they cycle the white and black cars every few days. Every now and then you'll see something different

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 4:10 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
Not to get too far off topic but I've seen a few of the Tesla Model-S cars around here in DC and it is a very impressive car. I prefer to bike but I certainly hope it is my next car as well.

Regarding the Silver line, I was thinking it would be fantastic if both Phase I of the Silver line and the H Street streetcar opened on the same day later this year.
Thanks for the info zbaums. I guess I will have to make another visit to Tyson's I. I want that 2-seater blue Tesla.

It has been my understanding Phase I of the Silver Line will be open to the general public sometime within January 2014.

-sb

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 2:57 PM

Ahead of hearing, JBG's Tysons West described as 'complete neighborhood'

Ahead of hearing, JBG's Tysons West described as 'complete neighborhood'

By Michael Neibauer
Washington Business Journal
7/23/2013

"Tysons West, a 16-acre redevelopment of prime Metro-accessible real estate from The JBG Cos., is the latest Tysons rezoning to get the thumbs-up from Fairfax County's planning staff.

Located a block from the Spring Hill Metro Station, the western-most Tysons Metrorail stop, the project from JBG and JBG Rosenfeld Retail includes the existing Sheraron Premier Hotel. Also, an urban-format Wal-Mart and 24-hour fitness center, both currently under construction on the site of the former Moore Cadillac dealership, a mid-rise and high rise residential building and a new office tower.

Tysons West, the subject of a scheduled July 31 planning commission hearing and Sept. 24 Board of Supervisors vote, would be the fifth major Tysons rezoning approved in the last year. Another nine cases are still active. Combined, they seek to transform the newly Metro-accessible Tysons into a 24-hour, walkable, transit-oriented urban center..."

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...king+Ground%29

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 4:47 PM

JLB Buys McLean Site, Plans 425-Unit Apartment Project

JLB Buys McLean Site, Plans 425-Unit Apartment Project

July 29, 2013
Urban Turf

Image courtesy of Urban Turf.

"JLB Partners has acquired 1575 Anderson Road (map) in McLean from Cityline Partners for just over $30 million, and plans to move forward with construction of 425 apartments on the site, UrbanTurf has learned.

JLB has plans for two luxury buildings on the site — a 15-story, 224-unit apartment development and a six-story, 201-unit building. JLB tells UrbanTurf that they plan to break ground next summer with delivery 18 months after construction begins.."

http://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blo...partments/7372

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 3:59 PM

Pop-up development may be the bridge to Tysons Corner’s future

Pop-up development may be the bridge to Tysons Corner’s future

Image courtesy of the Washington Post.

By Lori Aratani
Washington Post
7/29/2013

"The past and future of Tysons Corners meet here – at a suburban strip mall on Leesburg Pike.

Metro’s Silver Line is coming to Tysons, and when it does, one of four planned stations will attract as many as 17,000 daily commuters to what today is a rectangular slab of asphalt dotted with a liquor store, a Men’s Wearhouse and an adult boutique.

The expansion of Metro is the first step in a multi-billion-dollar make-over of Tysons Corner; officials hope to transform what is now a sprawling expanse of corporate headquarters, two shopping malls and some of the most grinding rush-hour traffic in Northern Virginia into a livable, walkable model community for the 21st century..."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...71_story.html#

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 5:44 PM

Rosslyn-Ballston Corridor now Rosslyn-to-Tysons, says Ray Ritchey

Rosslyn-Ballston Corridor now Rosslyn-to-Tysons, says Ray Ritchey

By Michael Neibauer
July 31, 2013

"Forget the Rosslyn-Ballston Corridor. It’s now the Rosslyn-Out-To-Tysons Corridor.

From RBC to ROTTC? Maybe we can think of something better.

Metro’s Silver Line, scheduled to open early next year, has changed the dynamic in Northern Virginia. The transit-oriented Arlington office corridor is shifting north and west..."

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...ridor-now.html

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 3:15 PM

21-story residential building planned for Reston Town Center parking lot

Reston Town Center build-out coming with new Boston Properties' proposal

By Michael Neibauer
Sept. 12, 2013

"Boston Properties has submitted plans with Fairfax County to fill out Reston Town Center with a residential high rise and separate office tower in the heart of the urban core.

The two buildings are proposed for the Town Center Blocks 4 and 5, generally bounded by New Dominion Parkway, Reston Parkway, Market Street and Fountain Street. The project, the landowner explains in its filings, fulfills the vision for the Town Center urban core by providing “high-quality residential and office development with ground-floor retail and restaurant uses that complement the existing pedestrian-oriented, mixed-use development.”

Specifically, the development proposal calls for a 21-story multi-family building on the 4.5-acre Block 4, which Boston Properties acquired earlier this year for $27 million from Beacon Capital Partners LLC. The building will feature two towers and a maximum of 549 units, in addition to 25,100 square feet of retail or restaurant uses and an eight-story parking garage..."

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...ut-coming.html

Old Posted Sep 18, 2013, 9:14 PM

Plans for Lake Anne Laid Out For Public (Reston Patch)

The Patch article has several renderings and site plans for this development.

Plans for Lake Anne Laid Out For Public
Residents and business owners get first look at Republic Land Development's vision for Lake Anne Plaza and Crescent Apartments.

Posted by Karen Goff
Reston Patch
September 17, 2013

"Interested residents and business owners came to Reston Community Center at Lake Anne on Monday to get a glimpse of what Republic Land Development has planned for the revitalization of the area.

Representatives showed what the Lake Anne of the future roughly will look like, with new housing, a revamped retail area and other added amenities.

Republic - which has developed projects such as Washington Harbour in Georgetown - was chosen by Fairfax County in July to redevelop the hillside site that currently houses the 16-acre Crescent Apartments...."

http://reston.patch.com/groups/real-...out-for-public

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 7:19 PM

We drove on the Beltway this weekend through Tysons. It's been at least three or four months since I've driven through there and it looks like there is a tremendous amount of activity in Tysons, with the skyline really starting to develop.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2013, 3:26 AM

Reston residential development

I took this photo while biking out to Reston this afternoon. Admittedly, this isn't Tysons but it will be a Silver line-adjacent development (maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of a mile away) on the second phase of the Silver line.

This development is located immediately northeast of the Reston Town Center, off of Reston Parkway and Temporary Road. It also looks like Reston Parkway can use a road diet as development there continues.

According to the Washington Business Journal, this development will have 360 residential units.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 4:26 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
We drove on the Beltway this weekend through Tysons. It's been at least three or four months since I've driven through there and it looks like there is a tremendous amount of activity in Tysons, with the skyline really starting to develop.
While on the Outer Loop this past Saturday the last of the two tower cranes for the Intelsat's HQ structure were being dismantled. I also noticed the tower crane for the residential component has been bumped.

-sb

Last edited by shakman; Dec 10, 2013 at 2:35 AM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbaums View Post
Here's a few photos from last week. . . There are a few shots of the new Tysons Tower with some glass going up, and in one picture you can see a new Silver Line station almost complete. I included some renderings from the Tysons Tower website. Also I threw in a few pictures of my office building, because it's gorgeous, and a panorama I took in the new Tesla showroom in Tysons mall. This place is really building up, and fast.

The building above...a new office building from Macerich Co., adjacent to Tysons Corner Center, will drive up the value of the mall property, which now top $1 billion. Intelsat S.A. will be the anchor tenant.

The Silver Line is really a game changer for the Tyson's Corner area.

Read more here: http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...on-dollar.html

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 8:37 PM

Despite Silver Line delays, developers plot 45 million square feet of development in

Despite Silver Line delays, developers plot 45 million square feet of development in Tysons

By Jonathan O’Connell
December 13, 2013
Washington Post

Image courtesy of the Washington Post.

"The first phase of CityCenterDC in downtown D.C. is nearly complete and at six buildings and 1.3 million square feet, it is nearly the largest mixed-use project ever built in the District.

But CityCenter would be little more than a rounding error in Tysons Corner.

The pipeline of development around the four Tysons Metro stations, according to a recently released report, is 45.3 million square feet, the equivalent of about 35 CityCenters.

Work in Tysons will be spread over many years but with the Silver Line expected to open in early 2014 (when exactly is anyone’s guess), there is already 3.7 million square feet under construction around the four Tysons stations: McLean, Tysons Corner, Greensboro and Spring Hill, according to research from the real estate services firm Cushman & Wakefield..."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...b61_story.html

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 4:19 AM

The sheer volume of pending development in Tysons will equal many cities actual downtown numbers. These will be exciting times for those in commercial development.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PremierAtlanta View Post
The sheer volume of pending development in Tysons will equal many cities actual downtown numbers. These will be exciting times for those in commercial development.
I confirmed today with a representative of Cushman & Wakefield that 1775 Tysons Boulevard will in fact move forward speculatively starting in Q1 2014 with vertical construction of the 18story tower. For those not familiar with the project it was stalled for the past 2 years as Lerner Enterprises looked for a marquee tenant; it is shown below in peach under "Tysons II". Note that that is only 1 parcel of the 3 parcel project. The 2 parcels closer to the metro station (also in peach) are not yet scheduled and include a 20+ story hotel and twin 25+ story residential towers. That part of Tysons will look completely different, and far more urban, once all of those are complete (along side of the Macerich project across Route 123 and Arbor Row)

Also, with the map that was included from the WaPo article

It shows all of Arbor Row as under construction. Actually currently only Block E (by Hanover) is physically constructing. AMT is anticipated to begin construction on their new $100 million joint venture on Block F of Arbor Row in Q4 2014, and Home Properties (despite my prodding) hasn't set an official date for construction of their residential Towers on Block A and B of Arbor Row (though they said informally to me on a phone discussion that they anticipate 2014).

I'll be running a story tomorrow on Lerner's moving forward with 1775 including another new rendering of site amenities that recently became public.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2013, 7:51 PM

LOL at the notion that anything going up around Tysons I or II is even slightly 'urban' -- the new development around both malls is the complete opposite; entirely auto-centric and completely unwalkable. They've kept their plans from before there was an 'urban vision' for Tysons, as well, so it is no surprise they are garbage.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 6:42 PM

Fairfax board adopts new Reston vision, possibly doubling development

This is good to see. If $7B - $8B is being spent to build both phases of the Silver line, Fairfax Co. should ensure that there is significant development around the stations.

Fairfax board adopts new Reston vision, possibly doubling development

By Michael Neibauer
Feb. 11, 2014

"The new vision for Reston that the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors approved Tuesday is very much like the original vision for Reston, just larger.

The board voted 6-2 to adopt the revised Reston Master Plan, an amendment to the 6,700-acre Reston blueprint created by Bob Simon more than 50 years ago. Crafted by a 25-member task force of community leaders and property owners over the last four-plus years, the plan has the potential to more than double the amount of development in Reston over the next 25-30 years.

It allows for the construction of 22,000 new residential units, nearly 9 million square feet of new office space, 2.2 million square feet of new hotel space and 700,000 square feet of additional retail, while reducing industrial space by about 300,000 square feet..."

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...earch&page=all

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations