HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arquitect View Post
I would really like to see it along Rio Salado, that way it could also be easily accessible by the RS street car line (if it were to become a reality). I personaly would love something on Ash and University, since it is walking distance from me.

I think that area you mention will be the first to be developed. The Frats have already began to be demolished, so I could really see ASU pushing for the development to be phased from the south side first (closest to campus) to the lake edge last. For right now, there are no concrete plans about anything that will go in the ecoDistrict. And there won't really be anything until February, when ASU picks who will design and develop the area. Although, they have released some guidelines to what they would like to see, which basicaly seems to create a very dense, pedestrian and bike friendly community, which has a ton of mix-use, and has cutting-edge sustainability components. This Power Point actualy shows what ASU is looking for:

http://higherlogicdownload.s3.amazon...esentation.pdf
Thanks for the link, I am much more confident in the vision than I was before. This project is going to be huge!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 11:34 PM

New Block 12 project plan expands ASU Tempe campus northward

Quote:
The ASU Office of the University Architect recently released preliminary concepts for the 130,000-square-foot Block 12 project, which is slated for a LEED silver designation or above from the U.S. Green Building Council.

ASU’s new mixed-use Block 12 project expands the Tempe campus beyond University Drive and includes enhancements to the surrounding areas. The proposed five-story complex carefully was planned to maximize pedestrian activity on the ground level and to tie into the existing campus urban fabric.

The Block 12 project plan encompasses ground-level eateries; a 200-seat auditorium for “Experience ASU” tours that will double as a classroom when not in use for tours; several general classrooms that can support 40, 80 and 120 students; as well as a new home for the Del Webb School of Construction.

The development site is bound on the east at College Avenue, Seventh Street on the south, Forest Avenue on the west and Sixth Street on its northern edge. As campus expansion moves northward, ASU planning officials emphasized the importance of “weaving” the design into the core of the campus.

“I believe that Block 12 will engage students with its modern, urban-campus feel,” said Ed Soltero, assistant vice president and university architect at ASU. “The design’s aesthetic beauty enhances the community’s overall experience at a campus entrance, and green materials incorporated into the project further ASU’s commitment to sustainability.”

The Office of the University Architect incorporated sustainable concepts into all aspects of Block 12. Some “green” features under review for implementation include:

• a ventilated façade to reduce exterior surface temperatures

• opportunities for building integrated photovoltaic/solar-thermal technologies

• natural ventilation of atrium spaces

• solar hot water heating for domestic and/or building heat

• LED lighting in some or all areas

• water harvesting for storage and reuse

Additional energy saving initiatives under review for incorporation also exceed requirements beyond those required by the LEED rating system. For instance, small urban plazas on the structure’s perimeter create cooling microenvironments that help to reduce building temperatures and serve as small areas of respite for students and visitors.

Boosting the design’s visual appeal, the palette of materials being considered include a rich terra-cotta rain screen or brick masonry on the lower levels. Upper-level features could encompass an elegant composition of various shades of anodized aluminum panels. The metal skin on the upper levels could act as a solar shading device. A perforated aluminum “skirt” that extends beyond the building’s face at the ground level will provide shade to visitors entering the facility.

Block 12 currently is in the schematic design phase and is scheduled to break ground sometime in January 2013. June 2014 is the target completion date.

“As the complex design continues, the Office of the University Architect clearly sees this project as a significant opportunity to physically exemplify the unification of ASU’s educational mission with its unique campus setting,” Soltero said.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post

I guess they are taking the W6 model which is really working well as it is 95% full

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 10:29 PM

Something that really hasn't been said about this project is that this is just the first phase of this "northward expansion". The plan is to develop the entire block of Forrest to College from 7th to 6th streets. Block 12 is the first of three buildings that are going to be built. Unfortunately, there is no date scheduled for the begining of construction of the next two phases, nor a clear plan of what programs will be housed in those buildings.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 6:56 AM

SRC Expansion

There's a crane at the site for the SRC expansion. Here are some pics:

Construction seems to be chugging along, too. Renovations are scheduled to be completed by August 2013, and I didn't realize Wendell Burnett was the designer. That's kinda cool.
http://wendellburnettearchitects.com...ublic/asu-src/

Also, interesting that the current proposals for Block 12 is only phase 1. I wonder what they have planned for additional phases.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 9:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Arch Student View Post
There's a crane at the site for the SRC expansion. Here are some pics:

Construction seems to be chugging along, too. Renovations are scheduled to be completed by August 2013, and I didn't realize Wendell Burnett was the designer. That's kinda cool.
http://wendellburnettearchitects.com...ublic/asu-src/

Also, interesting that the current proposals for Block 12 is only phase 1. I wonder what they have planned for additional phases.
Awesome images!

Unfortunately, the SRC design was not done by Wendell. He did the schematic design, in a similar way the RSP did the schematics for Block 12. ASU often needs an actual design in order to ask for funding, or get buildings approved. The final SRC design is actually being done by Studio MA. They are also a really good architecture firm in town. Although, I must admit, I would have loved to see Wendell take over this project. He is a master when it comes to materials and making beautiful clean buildings. And unlike many architects, he can do something great with a really tight budget (The Palo Verde Library and Community Center in Maryvale are a great example). Hopefuly he can be involved in a major project for ASU in the future.

As for Block 12, who knows. It will be very interesting. As of now, Gensler and Architekton are only designing the first phase. It would be interesting to see who they pick for the others. What I do know, is that being a little more a part of urban Tempe than the campus, the first phase wants to have a pretty lively street presence. Not only with the proposed bookstore, but there will also be space for a restaurant. If all phases try to create this lively environment, it could greatly enhance downtown Tempe.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 1:55 AM

Well, I suppose Tempe can't get it right 100% of the time. While Argo will help spread some urbanity west of Mill on Rio Salado, a new master planned development is being proposed for Priest and Rio Salado, filled with low-rise office buildings situated in a completely suburban manner- no connection to either the street or river bank.

I've seen the plan and IIRC, the development spans a large portion of the north side of Rio Salado from Hardy to Priest, and actually continues west of Priest. There were only 4-5 buildings in total, but perhaps there is a phased approach. The final product will be quite similar to the Cotton Center.

Anyway, kind of a shame even though it will be an improvement over the blight that is there now. That area may not be anything special, but a development like this seems incredibly shortsighted. With smaller scale projects like Argo extending westward, the potential for a streetcar route passing by in the future, and so on, it would've been nice for a long stretch of property like this to have been developed in a way that was more thoughtful, sustainable or urban- whether through mixed uses rather than all office, great density through greater height or less setback, interaction with the street to promote walking and pedestrian activity, etc.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 2:08 AM

^ Actually, got the plan a bit backwards. Most of the development is west of Priest, with a few buildings on the east side.

The buildings are all 1-2 stories. =\

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 4:59 AM

Quote:
As for Block 12, who knows. It will be very interesting. As of now, Gensler and Architekton are only designing the first phase. It would be interesting to see who they pick for the others. What I do know, is that being a little more a part of urban Tempe than the campus, the first phase wants to have a pretty lively street presence. Not only with the proposed bookstore, but there will also be space for a restaurant. If all phases try to create this lively environment, it could greatly enhance downtown Tempe.
Still wondering what they'll do with Harrington Birchett House.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
^ Actually, got the plan a bit backwards. Most of the development is west of Priest, with a few buildings on the east side.

The buildings are all 1-2 stories. =\
That is really a shame, and a big missed opportunity. Tempe doesn't have a lot of open land, and that area could have something a lot more prominent. Its easy access to the freeway and direct connection to the airport would make it ideal for a bigger business center. I know that heights of buildings really become an issue the closer you get to the airport, but a dense 3 to 4 story complex would definately still be ok.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 5:58 AM

Yes, I certainly wasn't expected high rises in that area, but 4-6 stories with a mix of office, retail and hotel with the opportunity to engage the street and/or the river/paths/etc. would have been much more ideal. Just seems like a waste of the chance to build with the future in mind and put the infrastructure in place to support an extension of downtown Tempe (or, at least an extension of the urban ideals that exist downtown) beyond Mill.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 12:41 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
Yes, I certainly wasn't expected high rises in that area, but 4-6 stories with a mix of office, retail and hotel with the opportunity to engage the street and/or the river/paths/etc. would have been much more ideal. Just seems like a waste of the chance to build with the future in mind and put the infrastructure in place to support an extension of downtown Tempe (or, at least an extension of the urban ideals that exist downtown) beyond Mill.
It sounds like this project on the north side of Rio Salado will mirror the current buildings on the south side. They're all low-rise, set-back office buildings in a suburban style.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
It sounds like this project on the north side of Rio Salado will mirror the current buildings on the south side. They're all low-rise, set-back office buildings in a suburban style.
Yeah, I really don't see Tempe being very dense past the TCA. It is pretty evident that they are trying to densify along the Lake, downtown, and the Apache corridor. It is not a necesaraly terrible move for this development to take place, but I would love to actualy see more non-ASU related development around downtown. I think that for Tempe to be truly urban and succesful, they have to bring in more diversity to their downtown, and reduce their dependance on ASU. It is an amzing asset, and it makes Tempe what it is, but there could also be other players involved.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBass View Post
Still wondering what they'll do with Harrington Birchett House.
I hope they keep it and incorporate it into what the are doing.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 2:16 AM

Quote:
I hope they keep it and incorporate it into what the are doing.
Yeah speaking of that parcel glad they finally got the Wednesday Food Truck Block Party going on. Looked like a strong showing for the first go around. Not liking the locations picked for Aramark's Fàn Boy Truck. The location by Best Hall and Irish Hall nearly makes it impossible for the Polytechnic shuttle to have clearance.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 4:18 AM

http://www.asu.edu/purchasing/bids/pdfs/091301.pdf

Hello all,
Not sure if this has been posted already - but it looks like ASU is planning to create an "Athletic district" around the stadium.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 3:58 AM

USG approves bill to begin plans for allocating money to potential Tempe pavilion

Quote:
The Tempe campus Undergraduate Student Government endorsed building a multi-use indoor pavilion on the Tempe campus at its biweekly meeting Tuesday night.

Senate Bill 33 addressed possible uses for the $9 million left over after ASU invested in building the recreation complexes on the Downtown, Polytechnic and West campuses.

The ASU Facilities Board originally planned to use the money for a field on the Tempe campus.

USG President Mark Naufel said most students would rather see the extra money go toward a facility that benefits students from all campuses.

He said the bill’s passage will persuade the Facilities Board to reallocate the money toward the pavilion.

Representatives of the Downtown, Polytechnic and West campuses are in support of establishing a pavilion but disagree with the distribution of the funds, according to Rhian Stotts, president of the Graduate and Professional Student Association. She has worked with the organization since 2009, when conversations about the Facilities Fee began, and voted on the fee in 2010.

Stotts said the facilities board recognized the idea of a pavilion as one of the original priorities.

The pavilion will be used for events and performances that require an indoor venue, Naufel said.

Members of the Programming and Activities Board discussed upcoming Homecoming events at each campus. There will also be Panhellenic events each day to participate at Devils on Mill Avenue.

USG approved an appointment of Peter Mardian to the ASU Supreme Court in Senate Bill 32.
Indoor Pavilion? When we have Neeb Hall, Murdock Hall, Schwada Building, Old Main, Coor Hall, PE West and East, Discovery Hall, second floor of the MU and new bookstore on Block 12. Yeah we totally lack places to host indoor events...

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 6:40 AM

What is going in on the parking lot next to W6? I saw a zoning sign for a 6 story building.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
What is going in on the parking lot next to W6? I saw a zoning sign for a 6 story building.
That is terrific news! I know they were marketing the residential zoning of the lot, so hopefully it will be a mixed use structure with retail on the ground floor and apartments or condos up top. Condos would be preferable; any additional bodies downtown is great, but we already lost Centerpoint to rentals, and I think downtown Tempe will be much more successful longterm once they are able to add more young professionals or urban-oriented boomers to the mix. It's clear that rentals will always bring ASU students in, which is certainly fine, but they have much less disposable income to pour into the local economy and there is always the risk of them heading back home during summer.

Seeing as the Ash and University lot seems to be a lost cause, this seems to be the ideal location for the elusive grocery store - smack in the center of West Sixth, Hayden Square, Orchid Lofts and the potential apartments on top, and in walking distance of Hayden Ferry Lakeside, all of the residential down Rio Salado and the neighborhoods to the west.

I know I've posted this before, but these would be ideal:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/joebehr/6924482171/
http://www.city-data.com/businesses/...eattle-wa.html

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
I researched a the proposal a bit, and I am a bit disappointed. The project proposed for the area will be called Hanover on Mill Ave, and it is being developed by the hanover company (hanoverco.com). The building will not be mixed-use. So, not only will it not have a grocery store (the current site for the project, hanoverco.com/capital-markets/hanover-mill-avenue, actualy show the whole foods on university and ash as a nearby amenity), but it will not add any retail or office space whatsoever. I am also concerned that they are asking to increase their building lot coverege, but also asking to reduce the minimum landscape coverege. This is not so much a big deal, but the building will take up all of the parking lot north of W6 and will only be a 6 stories tall. Their proposed parking is supposed to be 9 stories, with two of them being underground. This leads me to believe that the parking structure will be pretty prominent. I have a feeling that it will end up being like some of the developments north of Tempe Town Lake east of Rural.

I really want to see development in the area. Especialy if it means getting rid of some of those massive parking lots surrounding downtown. But I feel like this project is not right for that space. First, the lack of mix-use is concerning. It would be an ideal place to have retail on 5th street, connecting to the future development along Ash and Farmer once the street car is built. Second, the hight seems too conservative. 6 stories is great, but it is right next to the tallest buildings in the city. I'm not saying we need another 30+ story tower there, but something taller (maybe 15 to 20 floors)would make Tempe's skyline a lot more attractive, and not just like like scattered towers. I feel a project similar to The Hub on College would be ideal for this site.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest