HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Nov 30, 2009, 7:31 PM

Quote:
or sharing single-room hotels
How exactly do they intend to police this ? I don't really see a problem with it...

Quote:
"Someone can make a lot of money selling advertising for five days during the Games," said Coun. Geoff Meggs.

"We want to make sure they won't profit."
Because God forbid someone try to profit on the back of the Olympics?

Quote:
Twenty rickshaws would also be allowed on pedestrian corridors as an "additional sustainable transportation option," complementing 60 pedicabs.
Sustainable until the poor guys knee gives out from carting tubby tourists around.

Quote:
"What we're concerned about is the ability of people to hold signs and chant," he said. "The Olympics are like any other day in Vancouver."
Because God forbid somebody try to use free speech?

I don't know, this is one where I'll semi-agree with the protesters that they are taking the police state a bit far.

What will they do when someone hangs a large anti-Olympic banner off of the balcony of their own condo? Burst in, jail them, and remove the banner?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2009, 8:37 PM
testify

my friends and i are looking at hosting a bunch of dance parties and gallery events during these two weeks, and there's some worry that the city will bust them all up for whatever reason. i just hope you don't have people getting fined for otherwise legitimate postering or handing out bills or whatever, and i especially hope that they don't try to shut down one-off events to 'protect the value' of these corporate folks' investments (considering there's nearly no risk of client overlap).

Old Posted Nov 30, 2009, 8:40 PM

I don't think you're allowed to be handing out things. This is why those people won't be allowed to badger you with their newspaper at every second corner.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining