HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jul 9, 2011, 2:10 AM
City of Blinding Lights

Kristen and I had a date day today. We were deciding between Il Centro for pizza or Holy Smoke (we haven't been to either place). Given that it is Stampede I went for Holy Smoke. MAN THAT PLACE IS AWESOME!

We both had the pulled pork sandwiches along with 4 Pork Bones (ribs) coleslaw and potato salad. Along with that we each had a Trad. Our total came to $30. A deal if you ask me given the quality of the food.

I reckon that there are three things that hit you when you go to Holy Smoke. One is just how small the space is, second how warm and smoky the room is and lastly you wonder why you have never been before. The service was fast and very friendly. They could tell that we were noobs so they walked us through the choices and even made suggestions as to which of the 15 sauces would go best with the pulled pork.

I LOVE ribs. I especially love ribs with a dry rub a la Holy Smoke. However when I tasted these ribs they were so smokey that it was almost bitter. At first I was thrown off, but then I understood that this was the essence of southern BBQ. We both were astonished that we had never had this type of cooking before. All of our food was awesome. The sides (coleslaw and potato salad) weren't filler, they were very tasty. The slaw had a nice light dressing on it and it was fresh and crisp.

I could totally see Holy Smoke being VERY successful with a food truck. It just seems to make sense.

Additionally on Fridays from 2pm-8pm the beer is $3-$3.50. DEAL!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2011, 3:20 AM
IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
I bought it at a bison shop in Inglewood, so it better have been Bison, it tasted like Bison.

I think the difference is Bison is leaner than Beef, so it's less juicy. I usually let my steak (Beef or Bison) soak in some dark beer (usually Trad) for about an hour before I grill it, and every time I flip it, I soak the side that was on the grill in the beer for a few seconds just to make sure it's really nice and juicy. I usually sear each side for about a minute on high heat so that the juices stay in, then I cook another 3 or 4 minutes each side.
I have not tried the "Trad Bison Steak" before - will have to (with Guinness).

Another thing, especially if you're into well done, is to wrap your Bison in bacon. It's my favorite way of doing a roast, especially if you are marinating it first.

As far as beef is concerned the only one true beef is Alberta beef, grain finished. That being said, beef is a bit of a religion in these and some other parts of the world

Corn finished beef has a more yellow fat that tastes somewhat sour to my tastes, although I have a hard time describing it too. I've never had a really tender corn finished steak, although my experience is limited on those. Grass fed steaks tend to be tougher, but more flavorful than grain finished. I tend to use a marinade on them.

I wish there were more places offering Bison and game animals. I would love to have an ostrich steak again someday - they came and went in a hurry a few years back. Definitely not like chicken!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2011, 6:05 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
I'm living a Pop-Tart free life, but deep fried sounds enticing.
LIFE?!?! You've never partaken in the delicious sin that is Pop-Tarts?

Dude, they're so cool, they're hot - in fact, so hot, they're cool!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2011, 5:20 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post

*LIKE*

So I had some drinks yesterday at Joey Tomatoes Eau Claire yesterday. I haven't been there in quite some time now. It used to be my regular hangout post Flames games. I noticed yesterday that they have finally gotten around to renoing the interior. It actually looks quite chic. they have even added a patio bar which really speeds up drink service on the patio and in the dining room. Any idea where this renovation was done?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2011, 5:43 PM

do they still call it "Joey Tomatoes" in Alberta? in BC they dropped the "tomatoes" from the name years ago. Now they just call it Joey Insert location here ie. Joey Burrard, Joey Burnaby

Old Posted Jul 9, 2011, 6:03 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

innersoul- I had the best pulled pork sammie I've ever had on Thursday and it was, believe it or not, at a coffeehouse. Insomnia. They serve it on folded flatbread which does a good job of not falling apart. Melts in your mouth. A "whole" is massive and is all of $6.50. One of the best deals I've encountered in this city. Insomnia is open Saturdays all summer from 9-2 btw. They're in the Burns Bldg on the corner of Stephen Ave and Macleod- exterior entrance, NOT baraka or the shawarma place (the latter is great, the former is absolutely horrible).

Couple of Stephen Ave trucks/carts of note: First, "burger planet" or whatever it's called=huge disappointment. They have "bbq" and "taco" FLAVOURED burgers meaning they're pre-seasoned. Who pre-"seasons" burgers? Ah yes, M&M Meat Shops. The patties are clearly from M&M and it shows. Perfectly fucked up great-smelling burgers. Avoid.

But there's gloriousness too, namely in a Belgian waffle (or "wafel" in Flemish) cart called "Wanna Wafel." They sell only one thing, a "Liege" wafel which is raised, finished on an iron and it has a sweet (but not too sweet) somewhat chewy crust embedded with beet sugar and a fluffy interior. It's AMAZING. $4 and you don't have to fly to Belgium.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2011, 6:22 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
do they still call it "Joey Tomatoes" in Alberta? in BC they dropped the "tomatoes" from the name years ago. Now they just call it Joey Insert location here ie. Joey Burrard, Joey Burnaby
Yeah you are right Joey's Reatuarants. Getting away from the cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
innersoul- I had the best pulled pork sammie I've ever had on Thursday and it was, believe it or not, at a coffeehouse. Insomnia. They serve it on folded flatbread which does a good job of not falling apart. Melts in your mouth. A "whole" is massive and is all of $6.50. One of the best deals I've encountered in this city. Insomnia is open Saturdays all summer from 9-2 btw. They're in the Burns Bldg on the corner of Stephen Ave and Macleod- exterior entrance, NOT baraka or the shawarma place (the latter is great, the former is absolutely horrible).

Couple of Stephen Ave trucks/carts of note: First, "burger planet" or whatever it's called=huge disappointment. They have "bbq" and "taco" FLAVOURED burgers meaning they're pre-seasoned. Who pre-"seasons" burgers? Ah yes, M&M Meat Shops. The patties are clearly from M&M and it shows. Perfectly fucked up great-smelling burgers. Avoid.

But there's gloriousness too, namely in a Belgian waffle (or "wafel" in Flemish) cart called "Wanna Wafel." They sell only one thing, a "Liege" wafel which is raised, finished on an iron and it has a sweet (but not too sweet) somewhat chewy crust embedded with beet sugar and a fluffy interior. It's AMAZING. $4 and you don't have to fly to Belgium.
I will certainly have to try Insomnia. Sounds like a good deal...and if you like it, it must be good

Wanna Wafel, I believe they have a cart in the harbourfront in Victoria. I will either hit that up here in the next week or when I am in Vic in the coming weeks!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2011, 6:24 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post

I made the statement not to sound virtuous but more of surprise that I have eaten my way through the world of junk food but somehow missed out on Pop-Tarts!

Pop-Tart fun fact of the day: the U.S. "bombed" Afghanistan in 2001 with 2.4 million Pop-Tarts.
No wonder it all went to shit over there!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2011, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
*LIKE*

So I had some drinks yesterday at Joey Tomatoes Eau Claire yesterday. I haven't been there in quite some time now. It used to be my regular hangout post Flames games. I noticed yesterday that they have finally gotten around to renoing the interior. It actually looks quite chic. they have even added a patio bar which really speeds up drink service on the patio and in the dining room. Any idea where this renovation was done?
I haven't seen the results of the reno but I was in Eau Claire in the middle of May and they were closed with a sign indicating they'd be open in late June. So, it's only been a couple weeks I'd think.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2011, 4:41 AM

Future Alley Burger food truck

Photo by kitchenscraps at http://yfrog.com/kld24hcj

Old Posted Jul 11, 2011, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferreth View Post
I have not tried the "Trad Bison Steak" before - will have to (with Guinness).

Another thing, especially if you're into well done, is to wrap your Bison in bacon. It's my favorite way of doing a roast, especially if you are marinating it first.

As far as beef is concerned the only one true beef is Alberta beef, grain finished. That being said, beef is a bit of a religion in these and some other parts of the world

Corn finished beef has a more yellow fat that tastes somewhat sour to my tastes, although I have a hard time describing it too. I've never had a really tender corn finished steak, although my experience is limited on those. Grass fed steaks tend to be tougher, but more flavorful than grain finished. I tend to use a marinade on them.

I wish there were more places offering Bison and game animals. I would love to have an ostrich steak again someday - they came and went in a hurry a few years back. Definitely not like chicken!
I like darker beers to marinade or soak my steak in, I find they give a much better flavour. Never tried Bison wrapped in bacon before, can't see that being anything other that awesome! might have to try it some time. Though, I try very hard to not cook any steak past medium rare, Beef or Bison.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2011, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Sounds like a place I'll have to check out, I love pulled pork! my gf actually makes a killer pulled pork, once again we cook the pork roast in a dark beer (Trad or Rickards Dark), then pull the pork and add some Bullseye BBQ sauce (guinness flavour) delish!!

Old Posted Jul 11, 2011, 2:52 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Sounds like a place I'll have to check out, I love pulled pork! my gf actually makes a killer pulled pork, once again we cook the pork roast in a dark beer (Trad or Rickards Dark), then pull the pork and add some Bullseye BBQ sauce (guinness flavour) delish!!
so you pull the pork while it is roasting or after?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2011, 4:18 PM

Quote:
so you pull the pork while it is roasting or after?
Cook it in beer and spices for like 6 hours, drain the juice, pull the pork, add the BBQ sauce, mix well, and eat!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2011, 8:11 PM

stampede taco in a bag - don't believe the hype

Old Posted Jul 18, 2011, 9:40 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by linx View Post
stampede taco in a bag - don't believe the hype
I was interested based on the name, but then I saw the guy making one - it's literally a small bag of Doritos sliced open on the side, and some taco fixings thrown in. I'm not one to poo-poo the overpriced nature of Stampede food, but THAT is definitely not worth the price.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2011, 12:14 AM
Hare Expert

Certainly a fun idea, though. (Not an $8 idea like they think it is) It inspired me once to pour the free pseudo-chili at 7-Eleven into a bag of Doritos. Wasn't bad. Very messy, though.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2011, 3:17 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

"Taco in a bag" is supposed to be made with fritos. Stupid Canadians.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2011, 3:40 AM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
"Taco in a bag" is supposed to be made with fritos. Stupid Canadians.
why do you always have to play the shame and blame game?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2011, 4:22 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
why do you always have to play the shame and blame game?
Jesus, it was obviously an attempt at humour.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation