HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jan 17, 2010, 5:25 AM
Cat Enthusiast

BTW, the UA Board of Trustees approved the deal between the University/State/Bryce.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 10:14 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Sidewalk along University Boulevard is pretty much finished. They're currently just cleaning things up, finishing up sod, and installing a light fixture or two. Next up is the median project for the actually roadway.

Some new street lights are being installed along University Boulevard just west of the Strip.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 4:48 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Tuscaloosa News reports today that if the Board of Trustees approve it, the University will tear down the giant smokestack behind BB Comer Hall. It has been offline for 6 years and likely wouldn't see any use in the future.

I personally would like to see it stay, cause it's really something you can see from many parts of the campus. They paper quote people, saying it's an eyesore, but, I don't really consider it one. Either way, this move would be a cost saving measure and I'd be surprised if the trustees don't approve it.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 7:43 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Today, the UA Board of Trustees approved the destruction of the smoke stack, renovation of the Softball stadium (locker rooms, lobby, etc..), as well as a new parking lot across Campus Drive from the UA Softball Stadium.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2010, 4:14 PM

Link to rendering of Third Phase of UA Science and Engineering Complex

http://www.dadot.com/project/under_c...complex_0.aspx

If anyone has photos of the construction, please share them. Thanks.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2010, 6:34 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Awesome! I hadn't seen any renderings before. Right now, there really isn't anything being CONSTRUCTED. At the moment it's all just preparing the land for the building. Though, when I actually start seeing something rise up from the ground, I'll be sure to post it.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2010, 5:08 AM

Clearer Renderings

http://www.whitakerandrawson.com/gal...t_id=2&p_ref=1

Two of the three renderings at this link are of Phase 3 of the SE Complex. These renderings are much clearer than the one in the other post.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2010, 8:06 AM
Cat Enthusiast

I really like them. I'm glad that they're going to tear out the old parts of Hackberry and Campus Dr and replace it with greenspace. It's about time we had a more northern Quad on campus.

Thanx for posting those!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 7:26 PM
West Mobile

Have any pics of the construction on the stadium?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 10:35 PM
---

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEMO View Post
Have any pics of the construction on the stadium?
Webcam

Old Posted Apr 2, 2010, 3:38 PM

Sketch up of new Science and Engineering Complex at University of Alabama

Old Posted Apr 2, 2010, 10:24 PM

the above link contains about eight images which show features not seen in past renderings

Old Posted Apr 7, 2010, 9:54 PM
Cat Enthusiast

A few things to report.

The Board of Trustees will decide soon, or they might have today..., about the expansion of the basketball practice facility. Basically, it'll just make the CAVE larger, give some viewing areas, and make it more easily accessible from the Coliseum.

Also, they approved tearing down graduate and married couple housing on campus. Lots of buildings at the corner of Marr's Spring Rd whatever that road is that is right before University Boulevard (8 buildings, I think), and two apartment complexes between Burke and Moody Music. One parcel of land is supposed to be used for a new catholic sanctuary.

I'm also wondering if the condo tower that is set to be built next to Bryant-Denny is waiting for the new Jewish center to be built further to the East. Either way, it is almost complete, so maybe we'll see some action on the construction site soon.

Also, that new building along The Strip, closer to downtown, is progressing quite fast. It looks like it should fit in well, but you can never be sure.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2010, 10:37 PM

Is this going to be built right next to Reese Phifer Hall?

scroll down and click on link to University of Alabama

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...FMH48AbOr9m3Dw

Will be the new building for the Center for Creative Media at UA

Anyone have anymore info about this upcoming project?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2010, 2:06 AM
Cat Enthusiast

I have actually never heard of it. This is the first I've heard. Either way, if it's built, it'll be a nice addition along University. I'm assuming that they would just demolish the current Crimson White building.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2010, 3:56 PM

I saw a similar Creative Media rendering a few years ago, so I'm guessing it's one of those plans (like the performing arts complex that was once proposed to the east of the Moody music building) that was considered at one point, but shelved.

Last edited by DruidCity; Apr 25, 2010 at 2:39 PM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2010, 1:56 PM

I'm not sure if "shelved" is the right word. There were a number of projects that UA put on hold due to the recent huge downturn in state funding. Hard to believe that these projects were shelved if they moved to the design phase. Delayed is probably a more accurate word.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2010, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta68 View Post
I'm not sure if "shelved" is the right word. There were a number of projects that UA put on hold due to the recent huge downturn in state funding. Hard to believe that these projects were shelved if they moved to the design phase. Delayed is probably a more accurate word.
Considering the quality of that rendering...I doubt the Center for Creative Media at UA ever even made it to the design phase, that's a fairly conceptual drawing. I don't think that building would fit with the recently completed Campus Master Plan either...
"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably themselves will not be realized. Make big plans. Aim high in hope and work. Remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will not die."

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 2:29 AM

Maybe you are right that the building for the Center for Creative Media was shelved. Perhaps the expansion of Bryant Denny, and the creation of the plaza took up room needed for this proposed addition to Reese Phifer.

However, the Campus Master Plan still shows a new building just east of the Moody Music Building, along Univ. Blvd. It is about the size of the Music Building, and is shaped in a similar way, so this might be evidence that the Performing Arts Center has only been delayed.

I know UA still has plans to create a plaza between Gorgas and Clark, Manly, and the other Hall, but has had to postpone it due to budget cuts.

If you look at the Master Plan, there are many other new buildings intended for the future.

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 6:45 PM

Does anybody know why they are tearing apart Stadium Drive in front of Alston Hall? I know they will be taking down the graduate dorm/apartments there, but didn't know they were planning on taking apart the road as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast