HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 11:24 PM
Only Mostly Dead

By "location of this new one" I meant the SF one they are building. I said creeping because it's been a long time coming and they first built in SSF, now in the southern part of the city itself. Something about that just felt like creeping to me. It was a dopey post.

And thanks for the info on City College. I added it to the thread on the new campus.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Oct 24, 2009, 1:18 AM

I feel like CityPlace would have been a better place for Target, but of course that doesn't appear to be starting construction anytime soon, so I guess sooner is better than later.

I liked the tenants being bandied about for the Metreon and thought they'd be very appropriate for that location, bridging the museum district with the mid-to-high-end shopping district.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2009, 1:25 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboy View Post
I liked the tenants being bandied about for the Metreon and thought they'd be very appropriate for that location, bridging the museum district with the mid-to-high-end shopping district.
Yeah, but Tavern On The Green, the biggest one (they were going to take the whole top floor) went bankrupt after NYC declined to renew their lease on Central Park.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2009, 1:40 AM

I'm still just trying to figure out how they're going to do it. The second floor can't be much more than 50-60,000 square feet. That's half or less than the size of one of their typical stores. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2009, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
Yeah, but Tavern On The Green, the biggest one (they were going to take the whole top floor) went bankrupt after NYC declined to renew their lease on Central Park.
I was thinking more of the Pop Art Museum and the Museum of Craft and Design, as well as the smaller eating establishments. Heck, Tavern on the Green had said they were still very much planning to come to the Metreon even if they were forced to shut down the original location...not that I believe them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
I'm still just trying to figure out how they're going to do it. The second floor can't be much more than 50-60,000 square feet. That's half or less than the size of one of their typical stores. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
The article posted by BT says that the second floor is about 70,000 sf. Targets are usually 95,000+ sf. They do have some multi-level stores that have allowed them to squeeze into small urban footprints, but it doesn't seem like that would be possible at the Metreon. They've got the theaters above them and the first floor really needs to be essentially entirely devoted to the restaurant concept if that's going to work.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2009, 5:19 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Tavern on the Green had said they were still very much planning to come to the Metreon even if they were forced to shut down the original location...not that I believe them.
That would be pretty unlikely--they may not even own the rights to the name any more: http://www.reuters.com/article/domes...59M43Y20091023

Old Posted Oct 29, 2009, 4:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Rendering Reveal: More Affordable Housing for Mission St.
Wednesday, October 28, 2009, by Andy J. Wang

Tenderloin Neighborhood Development's planning another development outside of its hood with a 13-story, 100-unit building in SoMa that'll fill in an empty parking lot and house the low-incomers. About 20 percent of the units will be allocated for the homeless, while the rest is for very low-income families. The building at 1036 Mission is designed by Solomon E.T.C., who's also doing the large, market-rate Central Freeway project at 401 Grove St. Clearly, the economic downturn has spiked a good number of market-rate projects, but the nonprofit developments continue unabated— there's another TNDC development in the works just down the street at 1400 Mission, while the family housing project at 1390 Mission has just about wrapped up. Oh, let's not forget the "affordable upscale" going in at 1415 Mission, too.

Source: http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2009/1...on_st.php#more

Old Posted Oct 29, 2009, 4:51 PM
Only Mostly Dead

That is hideous. Like one of the commenters at CurbedSF said, it looks like a jail. I'd love to see another surface lot bite the dust (especially in that stretch of Mission, which is littered with vacant lots) and getting people off the streets is a good thing. But geez...

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Oct 29, 2009, 6:51 PM
BANNED

To the contrary, I think it looks very Miami Beach Deco--which I like. Of course it probably should be pink or turquoise.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2009, 8:24 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Maybe I'll share that impression on the finished building. I like the look you describe. I'm just not seeing it in this rendering.

Remember 1844 Market? I had forgotten about it, but according to CurbedSF, construction is moving along, including installation of the tower crane:

Quote:

ConstructionWatch: Zen Rentals Next to LGBT Center Get Going
Thursday, October 29, 2009, by Andy J. Wang

Hard to believe, but the very large, very vacant site at 1844 Market St, next to the LGBT Center, has actually been stirring for a few months now: dirt movers, a crane, the works! This, after snail's pace progress on the empty lot finally halted at one point and went toward a strange "ramshackle cabana" installment, as we reported in July of last year. A quick refresher: developer BayRock Residential and Christiani Johnson Architects are bringing an eight-story, 113-rental-unit building to the site, complete with ground-floor retail and "Zen Garden, roof deck with city views and lush courtyards." This past spring, the SF Business Times reported that BayRock was eager as hell to unload their failed Trader Joe's condo project on Van Ness and Sutter— having chopped their asking price for the site from $18 million to a paltry $8 million.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 3:21 AM

i think it could better achieve some of that art deco look that they appear to be going for if they removed those excessive horizontal shades on the windows. i think that is the most prison-inspiring aspect of the design.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 5:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewK View Post
i think it could better achieve some of that art deco look that they appear to be going for if they removed those excessive horizontal shades on the windows. i think that is the most prison-inspiring aspect of the design.
But then, where would the pigeons sit?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 6:49 PM

good call. guess the slats stay.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 7:06 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

I've been riding by 1844 Market a lot, and it is definitely moving forward.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2009, 4:32 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
I was thinking more of the Pop Art Museum and the Museum of Craft and Design, as well as the smaller eating establishments. The article posted by BT says that the second floor is about 70,000 sf. Targets are usually 95,000+ sf. They do have some multi-level stores that have allowed them to squeeze into small urban footprints, but it doesn't seem like that would be possible at the Metreon. They've got the theaters above them and the first floor really needs to be essentially entirely devoted to the restaurant concept if that's going to work.
I agree with you--while I very much want to see Target in San Francisco (and preferably one on mid-Market), I think that the Metreon is an extremely inappropriate place for them.

A second SF store at Geary and Masonic would be a real bonus too.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2009, 4:36 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
That is hideous. Like one of the commenters at CurbedSF said, it looks like a jail. I'd love to see another surface lot bite the dust (especially in that stretch of Mission, which is littered with vacant lots) and getting people off the streets is a good thing. But geez...
It looks a lot better than some of the other projects we've been stuck with...

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 11:17 AM

1036 Mission

Interesting. I don't associate the shades above the windows with a prison. Being that the apartments will be south facing I see it as a way to shade from the sun and keep the units cooler - a green building. Also, they will help prevent a downdraft.

Considering the other hideous low income buildings that have been built this design has some hope of being better.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2009, 5:43 PM
BANNED

In light of the new posting guidelines, this may be unsatisfying but it's worth clicking though on the link for lots of renderings and good news:

Quote:
CityPlace: 7 Juicy Stories of "Value" Retail for 2012
Thursday, November 5, 2009, by Andy J. Wang

It's coming! CityPlace, the five-story mall brought to Mid-Market by Urban Realty, which is also the landlord for Ross just up the street. The draft environmental impact report went up yesterday, describing in full detail the project, which will be located at 947 Market St. CityPlace will require the demolition of three currently vacant buildings, and will actually have seven levels of retail, including a mezzanine and basement level, plus two underground parking levels. Urban Realty's also considering a frontage on the building's backside facing Stevenson St, with an area reserved for small stands, like newsstands or flower kiosks. The building design, by Gensler, is shooting for LEED Gold . . . .
http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2009/1..._2012.php#more
Curbed further says construction is due to START next spring (2010) with COMPLETION in 2012.

Hard to believe but wonderful if true.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2009, 7:21 PM
Only Mostly Dead

I'll second that. I was checking it out earlier. Definitely worth heading over to check out the plans.

If they are going to start in Spring, the EIR review/approval process would last about 5-6 months. Does that seem possible? What do you think about adding that much retail space? Think the market can absorb that much more supply? This is supposed to be lower-end retail I think. If so, maybe that's a non-issue.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2009, 11:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
What do you think about adding that much retail space? Think the market can absorb that much more supply? This is supposed to be lower-end retail I think. If so, maybe that's a non-issue.
If they actually do sign up some "lower end" stores of the sort that San Francisco has very few of, yes--I not only think the market can absorb it but I think the place could be crowded because there's so little of that already in SF. I'm thinking places like Steinmart, maybe a "dollar store" (Family Dollar, Dollar General), TJ Maxx, Shoe Pavillion (which recently closed down the street), BevMo, possibly even Kohl's and/or Target (if they don't do to the Metreon). Or . . . {{{{drumroll}}}} W_l-M__t ( http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/411869ca-b...44feab49a.html ). Don't say that name out loud PLEASE.

By the way, while I'm thinking of controversy, 2 floors of underground parking on SF's main transit route? As contrarian as I am when it comes to SF's hate of the private motor vehicle, even my eyebrows raised at that one. Anybody here think they can get away with really building it with that garage in there? Don't get me wrong--I'm hoping they can because I want the place to be a success and revitalize Mid-Market (even without billboards)--but what I want is rarely the way things go in SF.

But think of it: Chain stores AND parking. Wow.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations