HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3681  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 3:42 PM
mumu mumu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
No official word yet but Delta has resurrected a long lost route from AUS. AUS-CVG 6x weekly on a CRJ7 is coming May 1st. This can be found on their website. https://www.delta.com/
CVG is a sad airport. They went from almost 23 million passengers before the Great Recession down to less than 6 million passengers around 2013. There's been modest recovery since. The Delta BK filing and later the Northwest combination, just before the economic downturn, was devastating. Delta combined hub traffic at Detroit instead. They've actually demolished 2 entire terminals, one of which was barely 20 years old. They also built a full size 4th runway around 15 years ago which has gone essentially unused.

It seems that Delta is going to expand use of Raleigh as the secondary connection city for north <-> south traffic (*on the East coast), given that Atlanta is going to have ever increasing capacity constraints in the years to come. Atlanta needs a secondary airport but political resistance is high.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3682  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 5:47 PM
masonh2479's Avatar
masonh2479 masonh2479 is offline
Semper Fidelis (PPL)
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Austin, Texas | Green Bay, Wisconsin
Posts: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumu View Post
CVG is a sad airport. They went from almost 23 million passengers before the Great Recession down to less than 6 million passengers around 2013. There's been modest recovery since. The Delta BK filing and later the Northwest combination, just before the economic downturn, was devastating. Delta combined hub traffic at Detroit instead. They've actually demolished 2 entire terminals, one of which was barely 20 years old. They also built a full size 4th runway around 15 years ago which has gone essentially unused.

It seems that Delta is going to expand use of Raleigh as the secondary connection city for north <-> south traffic (*on the East coast), given that Atlanta is going to have ever increasing capacity constraints in the years to come. Atlanta needs a secondary airport but political resistance is high.
What has happened to CVG is truly sad, but MEM has received far worse treatment from Delta. Any addition by Delta to CVG or MEM is bitter sweet, I'm sure the people there have mixed feelings about Delta.

Hopefully what happened to them will never happen to us.

As for RDU Delta said there will be new routes in 2018, so I guess expansion is a given

AUS-CVG is officially official, confirmed by CVG and Delta.
__________________
“Never tell me the odds!” — Han Solo

https://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=aus

Last edited by masonh2479; Jan 2, 2018 at 7:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3683  
Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 5:43 PM
Tyrone Shoes Tyrone Shoes is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 69
This Just In....November Numbers

AUSTIN, TEXAS – In just 11 months, January - November 2017, Austin-Bergstrom International Airport already has surpassed 2016's record-breaking annual passenger mark of 12.4 million passengers. With one month remaining to count in 2017 the annual passenger mark stands at 12.6 million passengers flying Austin.

November 2017

Passenger Activity: Total passenger traffic for November 2017 was 1,229,791, up 15% compared to November 2016. November 2017 enplanements totaled 615,882, up 14.5%. Southwest Airlines passengers totaled 463,864, up 10.5% compared to November 2016; American Airlines passengers totaled 227,527, up 6%; United Airlines passengers totaled 197,514, up 16.5%; Delta Air Lines passengers totaled 164,839, up 25.5%; JetBlue Airways passengers totaled 46,290, up 6%; Frontier Airlines passengers totaled 42,010, up 78.5%; Alaska Airlines passengers totaled 29,570, up 49%; Allegiant Air passengers totaled 23,754 up 67%; Virgin America passengers totaled 12,910, down 8%; British Airways passengers totaled 10,856, up 7.5%; AeroMexico passengers totaled 3,740, up 178%; Air Canada passengers totaled 3,618, down 2%; Sun Country passengers totaled 1,144; Volaris passengers totaled 1,135, down 45%; and ViaAir passengers totaled 371.

November 2017 air cargo totaled 15,500,991 lbs., up 1% compared to November 2016; International air cargo 2,264,807 lbs., up 40%; Federal Express carried 7.9 million lbs., down 3%; and United Parcel Service carried 3.3 million lbs., up 32%.

Air Services transferred 644,708 lbs. of mail, up 26.5%; and 2,158,139 lbs. of belly freight, up 32%.

Aircraft Operations: General Aviation operations totaled 4,062, down 16.5%. Combined operations (including commercial and military) totaled 16,490 up 1%.

January – November 2017

Passenger Activity: Total passenger traffic for January – November YTD was 12,698,792 up 11%, compared to January – November 2016. January – November 2017 enplanements totaled 6,361,242, up 11.5%. Southwest Airlines passengers totaled 4,724,620, up 8%; American Airlines passengers 2,405,344, up 3%; United Airlines passengers totaled 2,065,757, up 15.5%; Delta Air Lines passengers 1,635,947, up 16%; JetBlue Airways passengers totaled 550,364, up 6%; Frontier Airlines passengers totaled 433,694, up 48%; Alaska Airlines passengers totaled 257,102, up 24.5%; Allegiant Air passengers totaled 243,876 up 55%; Virgin America passengers totaled 143,638, down 9%; British Airways passengers totaled 119,141, down 0.5%; Air Canada passengers totaled 38,464, down 1%; AeroMexico passengers totaled 34,253, up 2,445%; Condor passengers totaled 19,745, up 142.5%; Volaris passengers totaled 13,979, up 82%; Sun Country passengers totaled 6,722; ViaAir passengers totaled 2,878; Texas Sky passengers totaled 604, down 67%.

November YTD (January – November 2017) air cargo totaled 173,447,969 lbs., up 9.5% compared to November 2016. International air cargo totaled 24,528,748 lbs., up 43.5%. Federal Express carried 94.3 million lbs., up 4%; and United Parcel Service carried 31.7 million lbs., up 30%.

Air Services transferred 6,306,902 lbs. of mail, up 49.5%; and 19,835,152 lbs. of belly freight, up 31%.

Aircraft Operations: 2017 General Aviation operations totaled 47,758, down 1% from January – November 2016 YTD. Combined operations (including commercial and military) totaled 183,676 up 4%.
__________________
Good night Austin Texas where ever you are..." Frank Zappa
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3684  
Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 5:51 PM
We vs us We vs us is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 976
Time to hit the gas on that next expansion, y'all . . .
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3685  
Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 5:58 PM
masonh2479's Avatar
masonh2479 masonh2479 is offline
Semper Fidelis (PPL)
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Austin, Texas | Green Bay, Wisconsin
Posts: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Time to hit the gas on that next expansion, y'all . . .
Thanks for the report Tyrone_Shoes, it’s amazing how fast we are still growing! The next expansion can’t come soon enough We vs us, I was at ABIA a few days ago and it felt overcrowded. We’ll have to see what this current expansion can do to alleviate this problem. As for the Jan-Dec totals. I wonder if we’ll hit 14mil!

Here is the chart attached to the information that was posted along with the link to find this information:

http://www.austintexas.gov/news/nove...stin-bergstrom
__________________
“Never tell me the odds!” — Han Solo

https://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=aus
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3686  
Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 6:16 PM
freerover freerover is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Time to hit the gas on that next expansion, y'all . . .
It's possible they are able to move from the current expansion to the next without a lot of downtime. It was a little less than a year between when the council approved the current terminal extension project and when construction started. Let's say the master plan comes out on time this fall and the council votes to approve the next project in Jan/Feb 2019. They could start work at the end of 2019 or early 2020. I believe the terminal extension and admin offices in the new garage opens in 2019.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3687  
Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 6:51 PM
We vs us We vs us is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
The next expansion can’t come soon enough We vs us, I was at ABIA a few days ago and it felt overcrowded.
It's funny -- I travel for my current job about every six weeks or so, and have been doing it now for a couple of years. Even in that short time, ABIA's gotten measurably busier. At high traffic times, the main terminal hallway is really getting tricky to navigate. It's impressive but also kind of wild.

Related: I used to think that it was obvious that any major expansion (ie. additional terminal) would want to be built around the main entrance and exit, and the parking infrastructure in the middle of the main loop of Presidential Blvd. Having seen how badly things get backed up during peak hours already, I can't really imagine potentially doubling that traffic, it would be crazy.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3688  
Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 11:25 PM
lzppjb's Avatar
lzppjb lzppjb is offline
7th Gen Central Texan
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 2,682
I haven't flown since Christmas 2011. I'd be in for a shock if I saw it now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3689  
Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 11:59 PM
drummer drummer is offline
德克萨斯人 y'all
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Asia by way of Texas
Posts: 2,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
It's funny -- I travel for my current job about every six weeks or so, and have been doing it now for a couple of years. Even in that short time, ABIA's gotten measurably busier. At high traffic times, the main terminal hallway is really getting tricky to navigate. It's impressive but also kind of wild.

Related: I used to think that it was obvious that any major expansion (ie. additional terminal) would want to be built around the main entrance and exit, and the parking infrastructure in the middle of the main loop of Presidential Blvd. Having seen how badly things get backed up during peak hours already, I can't really imagine potentially doubling that traffic, it would be crazy.
On your last point, I agree. I haven't flown in and out of Austin regularly for a long time so I can't speak to it, but that's definitely something that they'll need to accommodate.
__________________
人无完人
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3690  
Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 12:01 AM
masonh2479's Avatar
masonh2479 masonh2479 is offline
Semper Fidelis (PPL)
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Austin, Texas | Green Bay, Wisconsin
Posts: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
It's funny -- I travel for my current job about every six weeks or so, and have been doing it now for a couple of years. Even in that short time, ABIA's gotten measurably busier. At high traffic times, the main terminal hallway is really getting tricky to navigate. It's impressive but also kind of wild.

Related: I used to think that it was obvious that any major expansion (ie. additional terminal) would want to be built around the main entrance and exit, and the parking infrastructure in the middle of the main loop of Presidential Blvd. Having seen how badly things get backed up during peak hours already, I can't really imagine potentially doubling that traffic, it would be crazy.
What about the idea of demolishing the south terminal and building a new terminal there. Have parking and a main entrance like the current one for Barbara Jordan, and an underground tram connecting the two terminals. That way people can enter from two points and have access to the entire facility. If there is still a need for the LCC terminal it can be moved to a by the cargo facilities.

Kinda like A-05 or A-06 here: http://www.austintexas.gov/sites/def...Chp5_Part2.pdf

As for Delta's recent addition of CVG, I wonder if this was part of Delta's plan for CVG or Delta's plan for AUS. There are not many non hub and focus city airports in USA in Delta's network that have flights to all of their hubs/focus cities in USA.
__________________
“Never tell me the odds!” — Han Solo

https://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=aus
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3691  
Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 4:31 PM
freerover freerover is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
What about the idea of demolishing the south terminal and building a new terminal there. Have parking and a main entrance like the current one for Barbara Jordan, and an underground tram connecting the two terminals. That way people can enter from two points and have access to the entire facility. If there is still a need for the LCC terminal it can be moved to a by the cargo facilities.

Kinda like A-05 or A-06 here: http://www.austintexas.gov/sites/def...Chp5_Part2.pdf

As for Delta's recent addition of CVG, I wonder if this was part of Delta's plan for CVG or Delta's plan for AUS. There are not many non hub and focus city airports in USA in Delta's network that have flights to all of their hubs/focus cities in USA.

There is no need to demolish the south terminal. There is PLENTY of land available for another terminal in that area. Also, the south terminal not only has a 30+ year lease but it's also been an early success. Allegiant has expanded routes and there is growth potential with Via Air and Sun County.


The examples you are referring were non-preferred options by the previous plan. Although it's possible it changes, I think it's likely that the preferred 2nd autonomous terminal expansion plan stays as the preference as oppose to the kind of annex type expansion in the figures you are posting but I could be wrong.

I think the number of gates on a new terminal would increase and the footprint would shift to accommodate the south terminal but it would be the same basic concept of 2nd independent terminal:


This way there is still car access to the 2nd terminal so you aren't dumping it all on the main terminal. People would enter through 183 or underground tunnels that you can access from the main Airport Entrance.




Poster Austin1971 has suggested that there could be an interim expansion option where piers are added to the existing terminal (as seen in a few of the old expansion proposals) as well as a massive building expansion of the main terminal northward over the existing short term garage. This would mean completely re-buiding the upper/lower decks of Pres Blvd to access the main terminal. The new access levels would be right next to the 2 new garages and what would be the expanded terminal.


My guess is that the order that they are built depends on outside partners like Delta. If Delta says they are willing to pay for a part of a new terminal then I think they do that first. A fresh build will be much much easier than a Northern terminal expansion. That's going to be a nightmare and it would be much easier for people to deal with if there was a 2nd operating terminal.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3692  
Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 6:06 PM
Jdawgboy's Avatar
Jdawgboy Jdawgboy is offline
Representing the ATX!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 4,569
Don't forget that there is a large tunnel from the AFB era that is expected to be used in the future to connect the terminals together. I can't wait to see what they plan to do in the new master plan.
__________________
"GOOD TIMES!!!" Jerri Blank (Strangers With Candy)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3693  
Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 6:17 PM
We vs us We vs us is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Don't forget that there is a large tunnel from the AFB era that is expected to be used in the future to connect the terminals together. I can't wait to see what they plan to do in the new master plan.
I hadn’t heard this. Do you know where it is in relation to everything else?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3694  
Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 6:58 PM
freerover freerover is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Don't forget that there is a large tunnel from the AFB era that is expected to be used in the future to connect the terminals together.
Where did you hear that?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3695  
Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 7:02 PM
masonh2479's Avatar
masonh2479 masonh2479 is offline
Semper Fidelis (PPL)
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Austin, Texas | Green Bay, Wisconsin
Posts: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
There is no need to demolish the south terminal. There is PLENTY of land available for another terminal in that area. Also, the south terminal not only has a 30+ year lease but it's also been an early success. Allegiant has expanded routes and there is growth potential with Via Air and Sun County.


The examples you are referring were non-preferred options by the previous plan. Although it's possible it changes, I think it's likely that the preferred 2nd autonomous terminal expansion plan stays as the preference as oppose to the kind of annex type expansion in the figures you are posting but I could be wrong.

I think the number of gates on a new terminal would increase and the footprint would shift to accommodate the south terminal but it would be the same basic concept of 2nd independent terminal:


This way there is still car access to the 2nd terminal so you aren't dumping it all on the main terminal. People would enter through 183 or underground tunnels that you can access from the main Airport Entrance.




Poster Austin1971 has suggested that there could be an interim expansion option where piers are added to the existing terminal (as seen in a few of the old expansion proposals) as well as a massive building expansion of the main terminal northward over the existing short term garage. This would mean completely re-buiding the upper/lower decks of Pres Blvd to access the main terminal. The new access levels would be right next to the 2 new garages and what would be the expanded terminal.


My guess is that the order that they are built depends on outside partners like Delta. If Delta says they are willing to pay for a part of a new terminal then I think they do that first. A fresh build will be much much easier than a Northern terminal expansion. That's going to be a nightmare and it would be much easier for people to deal with if there was a 2nd operating terminal.
Thank you for your insight, freerover! I could see both of the expansion plans that we brought up working and I am anxious to see what the new master plan details. Regarding the South Terminal, I wonder if there is a plan in the books to expand it somehow if Allegiant and ViaAir keep on expanding. Hopefully it won't become overcrowded like one could say Barbara Jordan is now.

Going back to Barbara Jordan, at least right now, adding on to the existing terminal would only create more congestion unless something drastic were to be done to the entry exit platform. Widening the walkways inside the terminal to fit how wide the new 9 gate extension is supposed to be could work. Some work is being done on the terminal entrances and apparently alongside the new parking garage, there will be improved vehicle access to the airport. "The project, funded at $250 million, includes improvements in addition to the garage. The overall project includes:
  • The new, 6,000 space parking garage
  • New entry plazas to the parking lots, garages and to the Rental Car Facility
  • Enlarging and upgrading the north exit plaza to meet the demands of the expanded parking operations.
  • Upgrades to signs along Presidential Blvd.
  • Aviation administrative building"
This could be the start of what you are detailing, whatever happens, I hope it gets the congestion under control!
__________________
“Never tell me the odds!” — Han Solo

https://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=aus
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3696  
Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 8:01 PM
freerover freerover is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
Regarding the South Terminal, I wonder if there is a plan in the books to expand it somehow if Allegiant and ViaAir keep on expanding. Hopefully it won't become overcrowded like one could say Barbara Jordan is now.
The terminal is run by a private company. I assume they would have to be the ones that would want a possible expansion because they would have to pay for it since they would profit from increased gates. Just keep in mind that the whole point of the south terminal is to keep costs down as much as possible in order to keep gate rent down. I think the next step would be opening it every day of the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
Going back to Barbara Jordan, at least right now, adding on to the existing terminal would only create more congestion unless something drastic were to be done to the entry exit platform. Widening the walkways inside the terminal to fit how wide the new 9 gate extension is supposed to be could work. Some work is being done on the terminal entrances and apparently alongside the new parking garage, there will be improved vehicle access to the airport. "The project, funded at $250 million, includes improvements in addition to the garage. The overall project includes:
  • The new, 6,000 space parking garage
  • New entry plazas to the parking lots, garages and to the Rental Car Facility
  • Enlarging and upgrading the north exit plaza to meet the demands of the expanded parking operations.
  • Upgrades to signs along Presidential Blvd.
  • Aviation administrative building"
This could be the start of what you are detailing, whatever happens, I hope it gets the congestion under control!

So your concerns would be completely addressed in a Northern expansion. The current short term garage (in front of the main terminal) would be demolished and the existing terminal would be expanded over it and the current lower/upper deck of Pres Blvd. You would be able to design a longer and higher capacity upper/lower deck for direct vehicle access as well as add a ton of more space for security/airlines/concourses/baggage etc.

Here is a diagram of how the space could be used. The Green is what is currently being built and the yellow is what would be possible afterward.



What this would do is essentially maximize the potential of the main terminal. It would just be a nightmare of a construction project.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3697  
Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 8:37 PM
masonh2479's Avatar
masonh2479 masonh2479 is offline
Semper Fidelis (PPL)
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Austin, Texas | Green Bay, Wisconsin
Posts: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
The terminal is run by a private company. I assume they would have to be the ones that would want a possible expansion because they would have to pay for it since they would profit from increased gates. Just keep in mind that the whole point of the south terminal is to keep costs down as much as possible in order to keep gate rent down. I think the next step would be opening it every day of the week.




So your concerns would be completely addressed in a Northern expansion. The current short term garage (in front of the main terminal) would be demolished and the existing terminal would be expanded over it and the current lower/upper deck of Pres Blvd. You would be able to design a longer and higher capacity upper/lower deck for direct vehicle access as well as add a ton of more space for security/airlines/concourses/baggage etc.

Here is a diagram of how the space could be used. The Green is what is currently being built and the yellow is what would be possible afterward.



What this would do is essentially maximize the potential of the main terminal. It would just be a nightmare of a construction project.
That would be a construction nightmare for sure, I see how this would end up and think this might as well be the next large construction phase once the east extension is completed. I wonder if a west terminal infill will happen soon, that part of the terminal looks bare.
__________________
“Never tell me the odds!” — Han Solo

https://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=aus
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3698  
Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 12:55 AM
DoubleC's Avatar
DoubleC DoubleC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 256
Orrrrrrrrrrrr they could trash these ideas about waiting until 2019 to jut out piers from the main terminal, consolidating everything around a tiny airport terminal built for a small medium-sized city, already having a bottleneck at the unloading zone like I-35, and get started on that South terminal now ?

Seriously though, I really hope it's all just rumors and the selected concept in the new master plan is something like that selected in the previous master plan; why complicate it with building around existing, active aircraft space?

There's plenty of room South already. They could build small if they don't want a lot of unused space, but in Austin, what is unused space ?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3699  
Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 1:42 AM
Jdawgboy's Avatar
Jdawgboy Jdawgboy is offline
Representing the ATX!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 4,569
The tunnel was mentioned in this thread a few pages back. There was a post about the tunnel in the Airliners.net forum a couple of months back. The Barbra Jordan Terminal is built over the north end with the idea that it would be used by the port in the future.
__________________
"GOOD TIMES!!!" Jerri Blank (Strangers With Candy)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3700  
Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 2:26 AM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
I'm here for no one.
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: My side of the fence
Posts: 6,971
The Statesman has an article about Via Air expanded their ABIA presence and basing flight crews and maintenance workers here.

http://www.mystatesman.com/business/...mQFSsHthhydjJ/
__________________
Austin on Urban Planet:
http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/forum/215-austin/
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:56 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.