HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 10:12 PM

^ It looks like there is plenty of room to expand within the facility's existing footprint. That was smart thinking when they designed the place.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 11:53 PM

The picture of the plant and land it occupies makes me think of simcity.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 7:56 PM

Upgrades to the Burnaby Incinerator:

Quote:
Burnaby incinerator to get $7.6M in upgrades
By Michael Mui, 24 Hours Vancouver
Tuesday, June 23, 2015 4:53:02 PDT PM

Staff at Metro Vancouver are working on $7.6 million in upgrades to the Burnaby waste-to-energy incinerator to give the facility a cleaner burn and allow operators to recover non-ferrous metals like aluminum and copper from trash.
http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/2015/06/23...6m-in-upgrades

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 2:59 PM

Media Advisory - Port Moody, British Columbia

Port Moody, British Columbia, July 23, 2015 – Members of the media are invited to attend an important infrastructure funding announcement. Participating government representatives include the Honourable James Moore, Minister of Industry, Minister Responsible for British Columbia and Member of Parliament for Port Moody–Westwood–Port Coquitlam; Linda Reimer Member of the Legislative Assembly for Port Moody–Coquitlam; and Mike Clay, Mayor of Port Moody.

Date:
Friday, July 24, 2015

Time:
3:00 p.m. (PDT)

100 Newport Drive
Port Moody, British Columbia

http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=1006029

I heard a rumour they are going to drill a transit tunnel all the way from Port Moody up to Burquitlam. To be completed before 2017.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 3:03 PM

Murray-Clarke Connector finally?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 3:05 PM

Murray-Clarke Connector finally??

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
lol.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 3:27 PM

Money for votes.

Hopefully it won't be like the BC Liberals with their multiple announcements of the same thing.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 3:37 PM

Yea that's politics! The point is to get votes!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Money for votes.

Hopefully it won't be like the BC Liberals with their multiple announcements of the same thing.
Interesting that MLA Reimer will participate whereas the is no Provincial representation at other funding announcements. Actually, it isn't very "interesting" or mysterious at all.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle25626108/

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
I'm more inclined to expect something like new shelving units in the Civic Library...

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olden Retreiver View Post

Port Moody, British Columbia, July 23, 2015 – Members of the media are invited to attend an important infrastructure funding announcement. Participating government representatives include the Honourable James Moore, Minister of Industry, Minister Responsible for British Columbia and Member of Parliament for Port Moody–Westwood–Port Coquitlam; Linda Reimer Member of the Legislative Assembly for Port Moody–Coquitlam; and Mike Clay, Mayor of Port Moody.

Date:
Friday, July 24, 2015

Time:

100 Newport Drive

I heard a rumour they are going to drill a transit tunnel all the way from Port Moody up to Burquitlam. To be completed before 2017.

Umm http://www.thenownews.com/news/tunne...eted-1.2009844

Was yesterday, so I don't know. The timing fits though.

Since it's in Port Moody, I don't know what else. It says Infrastructure, and I don't see any "transportation" people in the list.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisai View Post
Umm http://www.thenownews.com/news/tunne...eted-1.2009844

Was yesterday, so I don't know. The timing fits though.

Since it's in Port Moody, I don't know what else. It says Infrastructure, and I don't see any "transportation" people in the list.
They don't have funding announcements after the project has been completed. And they wouldn't have an announcement in Port Moody for a project that links Coquitlam and Surrey. And the funding announcement says "Friday, July 24" whereas that water tunnel story was from yesterday.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 5:49 PM

Talking about infrastructure, I have been wondering how are they going to secure that our watersheds will not run out when one million more people (40% increase) will be moving in the region in the next 30 years? I know that there has been that huge project to re-route water between North Shore stations, but it doesn't really address the problem with having just three watersheds.

I think Alouette Lake in Maple Ridge is the only possible non-recreational large lake that could become region's fourth watershed. Has there been any plans towards this?

One begins to think about this kind of things during a summer like this. How would water ever last with 1M more people when even this year it will be a close call.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Talking about infrastructure, I have been wondering how are they going to secure that our watersheds will not run out when one million more people (40% increase) will be moving in the region in the next 30 years? I know that there has been that huge project to re-route water between North Shore stations, but it doesn't really address the problem with having just three watersheds.

I think Alouette Lake in Maple Ridge is the only possible non-recreational large lake that could become region's fourth watershed. Has there been any plans towards this?

One begins to think about this kind of things during a summer like this. How would water ever last with 1M more people when even this year it will be a close call.
Alouette Lake is a recreational lake. It has numerous campsites along its shores, it's open for fishing and boating, and it has Golden Ears Provincial Park running up its west side. I don't see how they could turn that into a watershed.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post

2 points:

The Coquitlam Reservoir can supply a lot more water. But BC Hydro will have to be $$$$ compensated.

Per capita water consumption has been declining for years (if not decades) and will continue to decline. Very few of those 1 million new residents will have 5000 square foot irrigated lawns.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 10:47 PM

Quote:

Date:
Friday, July 24, 2015

Time:

100 Newport Drive

Port Moody Gets Funding for Remediation of the Barnet Highway Landfill Site

http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?...84&nid=1006399

Old Posted Jul 25, 2015, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
Alouette Lake is a recreational lake. It has numerous campsites along its shores, it's open for fishing and boating, and it has Golden Ears Provincial Park running up its west side. I don't see how they could turn that into a watershed.
Didn't know that, but considering its location, I think it would be quite easy to block off from such use. With Pitt Lake and Harrison Lake such is not possible and all other lakes in the area are too small.

Quote:
The Coquitlam Reservoir can supply a lot more water. But BC Hydro will have to be $$$$ compensated.
Interesting. Where do you base this information? The problem is also not being able to hold more water, but there ain't much extrawater on a summer like this. Sure, they could try storing more water from winter season but on a lousy winter like we just had, it might not be enough.

Quote:
Per capita water consumption has been declining for years (if not decades) and will continue to decline. Very few of those 1 million new residents will have 5000 square foot irrigated lawns.
Good point. It is interesting how the recent lawn watering restrictions brought the daily consumption from 1.7B liters to 1.2B liters. Seems that a lot of water is spent on unnecessary things like that.

But even then 1M more people will put a lot of stress on all our infrastructure, water system included. I hope cities are prepared to invest in crucial infrastructure like this.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2015, 5:14 AM

It was in several news media the past couple weeks that Metro Van could buy a volume of Coquitlam water from Hydro for $600k -plus this summer, possibly to avoid going to Stage 4 restrictions.

The Coquitlam reservoir is the "jewel in the crown" of watersheds:
http://www.theprovince.com/story.html?id=11220369

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 2:11 AM

Quote:
It was in several news media the past couple weeks that Metro Van could buy a volume of Coquitlam water from Hydro for $600k -plus this summer, possibly to avoid going to Stage 4 restrictions.

The Coquitlam reservoir is the "jewel in the crown" of watersheds:
http://www.theprovince.com/story.html?id=11220369
Thanks for this, as I had missed that story. I knew that Coquitlam Lake is huge, but didn't realize BC Hydro is using so much of the water for generating electricity. Seems that there is no problem with water in the foreseeable future, but BC Hydro will need to start decreasing their chunk of that water.

Interesting data in that article.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 7:18 PM

Any informed opinions here on whether BC Hydro's distribution infrastructure in the Lower Mainland is "fragile" or "robust"?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure