HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Why do you want to see some Lawrenceville style development in the heart of downtown?
Right now, another Lawrenceville would be a big improvement. All I'm saying is the natural target audience should be mostly the under-retailed areas to the west and south, people who would appreciate Walmart and an hamburger. If the two respective development groups can make it interesting enough for tourists to come, see, and purchase - so much the better, sort of like the streets of old NY. People who want a gentrified pseudo-experience have lots other options.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
Right now, another Lawrenceville would be a big improvement. All I'm saying is the natural target audience should be mostly the under-retailed areas to the west and south, people who would appreciate Walmart and an hamburger. If the two respective development groups can make it interesting enough for tourists to come, see, and purchase - so much the better, sort of like the streets of old NY. People who want a gentrified pseudo-experience have lots other options.
We must be talking about two different things. Walmart, although my least favorite retailer, would be fine so long as it didn't build a 150,000 sq. ft. big box in the middle of downtown. That would be terrible.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 10:58 PM

What if it were underground. That's a large piece of near-empty retail space.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 1:12 AM

Quote:
What if it were underground. That's a large piece of near-empty retail space.
If it fits into the urban fabric, okay.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbab View Post
The Avery at Underground Atlanta

Avery

Link: http://www.boarddocs.com/ga/investat...18-17%20vr.pdf

The project is seeking incentives from Invest Atlanta at their meeting tomorrow.
Based on the rendering above, assuming the background is correct, it appears they are developing a chunk of the WRS underground project right over the railroad tracks. Since parking can't be built under this building (MARTA and CSX underneath) this shows that at least some of the above-ground parking that WRS proposed went away or moved somewhere else. I hope this does not mean that the WRS/N9 vision is not being watered down. Below is what I interpret this building as seen in the WRS rendering. I don't believe this fills the whole block since the existing underground sculpture that was along central ave is visible in the rendering above.

Just to add to this... I read in the WRS Invest Atlanta docs that WRS is outsourcing all residential and hotel components to outside 3rd party developers. WRS is only handling the retail and some parking components of the project. It looks like we could have a few skyhouses, or worse, some low rise residential depending on how WRS is able to negotiate these residential components.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
Based on the rendering above, assuming the background is correct, it appears they are developing a chunk of the WRS underground project right over the railroad tracks. Since parking can't be built under this building (MARTA and CSX underneath) this shows that at least some of the above-ground parking that WRS proposed went away or moved somewhere else. I hope this does not mean that the WRS/N9 vision is not being watered down. Below is what I interpret this building as seen in the WRS rendering. I don't believe this fills the whole block since the existing underground sculpture that was along central ave is visible in the rendering above.

Just to add to this... I read in the WRS Invest Atlanta docs that WRS is outsourcing all residential and hotel components to outside 3rd party developers. WRS is only handling the retail and some parking components of the project. It looks like we could have a few skyhouses, or worse, some low rise residential depending on how WRS is able to negotiate these residential components.
Good information. Thanks.

I'm not opposed to this as a first phase of the development but I would definitely be disappointed if it ends up being all midrises. I'm glad to see it moving forward.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
As I mentioned before, there is already a Walmart serving the neighborhoods west of Underground.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 4:06 PM

Curbed has a larger rendering of the first apartments. I have to say I'm already a little disappointed. I REALLY hope this is not all EIFS.

And the site

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2017/7/20...very-rendering

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 1:49 AM

Underground neighborhood views from the roof of the county parking garage. Probably not much changes in the next 1.5 years.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta