HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 3:33 AM
not a NIMBY

Laurier Lounge has added an almost 4 seasons solarium between Stanley House and 7th Street. Looks like a nice place to dine and view the lights of downtown and maybe the stars at night.

picture source - Laurier Lounge on Facebook
Laurier Lounge by LUMIN8, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 4:08 AM
City of Blinding Lights

That's awesome! LOVE Laurier Lounge!

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
Vera's Burger Shack is expanding and looking for franchisees in Alberta.
http://www.verasburgershack.com/franchise-info
I hope someone with an entrepreneurial spirit sees this and opens a location or several in Calgary and I promise I will be a loyal customer which will save me a 960 km drive each way or a flight to YVR where they have a location.
"You Can't Beat Vera's Meat"®
The Burger's Priest is also trying to push into Alberta (opening up an Edmonton location in January), would be pretty sweet if they could also get one up in Calgary.
Today, our town lost what remains of its fragile civility, drowned in a sea of low fat pudding. We are a town of lowbrows, no-brows and ignorami. We have eight malls but no symphony. Thirty-two bars but no alternative theater. Thirteen stores that begin with "Le Sex." I write this letter not to nag or whine but to prod. We can better ourselves!
-Lisa Simpson

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 8:37 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt04ku View Post
The Burger's Priest is also trying to push into Alberta (opening up an Edmonton location in January), would be pretty sweet if they could also get one up in Calgary.
Edmonton?? EDMONTON?? The fuck?

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 8:44 PM
Aviary Masticator

Quote:
Laurier Lounge has added an almost 4 seasons solarium between Stanley House and 7th Street. Looks like a nice place to dine and view the lights of downtown and maybe the stars at night.

That looks awesome!

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 9:02 PM
not a NIMBY

Something is finally going into the so-called Aberdeen Market space beside Candela @ 1915 4 St SW. Anyone know what?

http://taurusgroup.com/pdf/Brochure_AberdeenMarket.pdf

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 10:02 PM
City Maker

Has anyone been to Barcelona Tavern? Even though it wasn't very well rated on UrbanSpoon, I stopped by on Saturday and was pleasantly surprised.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 12:00 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riise View Post
Has anyone been to Barcelona Tavern? Even though it wasn't very well rated on UrbanSpoon, I stopped by on Saturday and was pleasantly surprised.
You have, so tell us about it!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 12:55 AM
BANNED

I liked the chicken parm sandwich I had at Barcelona, did a good job with the interior too.

New juice bar just opened in Kensington called Wild & Raw.

Another one opening just off 17th av and 8 st sw called Freshii, east of Best Buy.

I thought I saw another 1 or 2 newer ones in the north eastern section of The Beltline. Looks like these are becoming more popular.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 1:21 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

I went to a Freshii in Vancouver- it was terrible (noodle bowl, really bad) but I might've not ordered the right thing. Having said that, brown rice is crime against taste and they only have brown rice there, so.... maybe not my new favourite place. I'll try the juices though.

Wild and Raw looks way more interesting. Kombucha FTW.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 9:04 AM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
I went to a Freshii in Vancouver- it was terrible (noodle bowl, really bad) but I might've not ordered the right thing. .
When I lived in Philly I went to Freshii with a groupon and it was fucking horrible. Same thing though, had a noodle bowl. The only takeaway was there was a woman in there at the same time who pronounced muesli "muss-lee" with a wicked Philly accent, which I now do all the time to annoy my wife.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 3:31 PM
YIMBY

To the coffee aficionados here, I'm looking for a decent coffee bean that won't break the bank. I've been drinking Fratello and Phil & Sebastian over the past year or two, but due to changes in our life, I need to find a coffee that's a bit lighter on the pocket book.

Where is the best place to find a decent coffee bean with a roast date? Are the local companies the only ones who bother?

I should mention I generally prefer the Costa Rican coffees from the Fratello and P&S

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 4:13 PM

Are you just making drip? For my everyday usage I like this stuff:
http://www.levelground.com/products/tanzania/
You can get, I think a 900g bag from Costco for around $15.00. Its not overly roasted, it's not Costa Rican but it shouldn't be to far off your tastes. They do have a roasted date on the bags. It comes from BC. You can get smaller bags of the stuff at I think Planet Organic, from spud.ca etc if you want to try a smaller quantity, but the price is almost the same as the big Costco bag.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 4:27 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Are you just making drip? For my everyday usage I like this stuff:
http://www.levelground.com/products/tanzania/
You can get, I think a 900g bag from Costco for around $15.00. Its not overly roasted, it's not Costa Rican but it shouldn't be to far off your tastes. They do have a roasted date on the bags. It comes from BC. You can get smaller bags of the stuff at I think Planet Organic, from spud.ca etc if you want to try a smaller quantity, but the price is almost the same as the big Costco bag.
Yeah, drip. Might have to see if I can find a friend with a Costco membership....

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 6:04 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
To the coffee aficionados here, I'm looking for a decent coffee bean that won't break the bank. I've been drinking Fratello and Phil & Sebastian over the past year or two, but due to changes in our life, I need to find a coffee that's a bit lighter on the pocket book.

Where is the best place to find a decent coffee bean with a roast date? Are the local companies the only ones who bother?

I should mention I generally prefer the Costa Rican coffees from the Fratello and P&S
Fratello's Godfather blend is decent value so you might consider a blend instead of single origin- it makes superb brewed coffee, superb.

I'd suggest you get to know Mountain View Roasterie. http://mountainviewroasterie.ca/ They sell good roast-dated single origins and you can get them delivered or off the shelf at various markets around town- I know they're at Community Natural Foods and at very good prices.

All good roasters provide roast dates- so Fratello, Rosso, P&S, Baya Rica, Sierra las Minas in Calgary. I was also at Orange Works in North Hill Mall and they sell beans from a roaster called Chinook Coffee Roasters, in Calgary, that are roast dated and as I recall pretty inexpensive. But it's not at all a local thing- every quality roaster in the world does this.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 6:13 PM
Editor

I was just going to post this. The pics look great...definitely a place I'll be checking out.

Quote:

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 7:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
I went to a Freshii in Vancouver- it was terrible (noodle bowl, really bad) but I might've not ordered the right thing. Having said that, brown rice is crime against taste and they only have brown rice there, so.... maybe not my new favourite place. I'll try the juices though.

Wild and Raw looks way more interesting. Kombucha FTW.
The local shops and restos are always better than the chains here.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 4:29 AM
not a NIMBY

I noticed that the Redwater in Bow Valley Square has become the Township Bar & Grill - Township 24. They have another location in Grande Prairie which is called Township 71.
I don't get the name or the numbers - don't know if there is some meaning behind them or is it just random? No explanation on their website.

http://www.townshipbarandgrill.com

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 5:39 AM

Well it doesn't seem to be the address numbers like the Local's. Seems odd.
Today, our town lost what remains of its fragile civility, drowned in a sea of low fat pudding. We are a town of lowbrows, no-brows and ignorami. We have eight malls but no symphony. Thirty-two bars but no alternative theater. Thirteen stores that begin with "Le Sex." I write this letter not to nag or whine but to prod. We can better ourselves!
-Lisa Simpson

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 5:54 AM

Quote:
I noticed that the Redwater in Bow Valley Square has become the Township Bar & Grill - Township 24. They have another location in Grande Prairie which is called Township 71.
I don't get the name or the numbers - don't know if there is some meaning behind them or is it just random? No explanation on their website.

http://www.townshipbarandgrill.com
I'd hazard a guess its because their Calgary location is in TWP 24, and the Grand Prairie one is in TWP 71

...yes, I checked, but I was pretty sure that was it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation