HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtucsonboy77 View Post
Geico to build new corporate office in Tucson, add 700 jobs

http://tucson.com/business/article_2...hare&id=201408

I saw that the actual site of the building will be in the center of The Bridges development...AZ Daily Star should have shared a map/layout of that.
AZPM had a map with their report.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post
I thought I'd pop in to give some news on a new hotel:

More: https://azbigmedia.com/caliber-plans...ention-center/
Thanks for the head's up.

This video by Rio Nuevo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g_4...ature=youtu.be mentions this hotel, as well as a possible second hotel at the TCC with up to 500 rooms.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 2:43 AM

The 'residential' wing of The Bridges needs to be turned into a condo (mid or high rise) or commercial development.

10 years from now was the estimate by Lennar/KB Home to build houses at that spot.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 4:42 PM

The webcam is up for the renovation of the lower east side of Arizona Stadium. Not sure how much we'll be able to see given the confined space, but the scope of the project is pretty broad based on information Steve Kozachik provided in his Ward 6 newsletter this week. They'll be repurposing all of the old dorm rooms on that side of the stadium into concessions, amenities, and a student lounge. They'll also be cutting new walkways into the stadium bowl that access the lounge.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 1:11 AM

Project updates posted on ADOT's website:

Turning the corner on Pima County projects in 2018
Ina Road, Ajo Way interchange projects move toward completion

TUCSON ‒ Removing the bridge that once carried westbound Interstate 10 traffic over Ina Road was the first step in what will be a busy 2018 in the Tucson area for the Arizona Department of Transportation.

Tucson will see the completion of the first phase of renovations at Ajo Way and Interstate 19, the near completion of a new interchange at I-10 and Ina Road and a project to ease congestion at I-10 interchanges serving fast-growing areas east of downtown Tucson.

Ajo Way Interchange RenderingAt Ajo Way (State Route 86), ADOT has created a single-point urban interchange, the third in the Tucson area with a single set of traffic signals controlling all traffic movements. After the first phase of the project is complete this spring, ADOT will prepare for the 18-month second phase of work, which will widen Ajo Way and I-19, create a new Ajo Way bridge over the Santa Cruz River and construct a new Michigan Avenue pedestrian bridge over I-19.

The first phase of the Ajo Way project cost about $40 million, and the second phase is estimated to cost $27 million.

On the last weekend in January, westbound I-10 traffic at Ina Road in Marana will begin sharing the new pavement that now carries eastbound traffic, with a concrete barrier separating the directions of travel. The move will allow construction crews to build the eastern half of the Ina Road bridge and complete the remaining work to widen both I-10 and Ina Road. The project, which also includes a second new bridge carrying Ina Road over the Santa Cruz River, is on schedule for completion in early 2019.

ADOT is overseeing the $128 million Ina Road project, which is funded by the Federal Highway Administration, the Pima Association of Governments and the Regional Transportation Authority. The town of Marana is contributing $7.9 million toward the cost of the new bridges over the Santa Cruz River west of I-10.

East of downtown Tucson, ADOT will continue making improvements to several interchanges to improve traffic flow. In 2017, ADOT added a traffic signal and a right turn bay at the end of the Houghton Road eastbound exit ramp. Beginning this spring, crews will start adding traffic signals at the eastbound 10 exits for Wilmot, Rita and Kolb roads, with the work scheduled for completion before the end of the year. At Rita Road, crews will add a right turn lane on the eastbound exit and a second merging lane for the westbound on-ramp.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 3:45 PM

Keep forgetting to post this, but fencing is up around the Hub 3 site, so I assume we'll see demolition begin soon. They recently leased space for their leasing office on 4th Avenue.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 4:13 AM

Tucson.com (the AZ Daily Star) is reporting, “The Rio Nuevo board is expected to green light a redevelopment deal Tuesday, Jan. 23, that will turn a downtown parking lot into one of the tallest buildings in Tucson.

The taxing district board is expected to vote on opening formal discussions with an out-of-town developer to build a 300-foot tall tower on the county-owned property on East Broadway between Sixth and Scott avenues.“

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
Keep forgetting to post this, but fencing is up around the Hub 3 site, so I assume we'll see demolition begin soon. They recently leased space for their leasing office on 4th Avenue.
TIBO had an update on HUB III today as well:
http://tiboaz.biz/2018/01/22/student...-construction/

They also had several renders from Antunovich Associates, the architects. Here's one.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
Tucson.com (the AZ Daily Star) is reporting, “The Rio Nuevo board is expected to green light a redevelopment deal Tuesday, Jan. 23, that will turn a downtown parking lot into one of the tallest buildings in Tucson.

The taxing district board is expected to vote on opening formal discussions with an out-of-town developer to build a 300-foot tall tower on the county-owned property on East Broadway between Sixth and Scott avenues.“
Here’s the article link: New project could bring one of tallest buildings to Tucson's downtown skyline

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheBurbs View Post
TIBO had an update on HUB III today as well:
http://tiboaz.biz/2018/01/22/student...-construction/

They also had several renders from Antunovich Associates, the architects. Here's one.
There's a full collection of renderings back on page 325, FYI.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
"Out of town developer" has me both excited and nervous. If this works out, that factor alone (not even considering the height) would be a huge game changer for downtown.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 6:02 PM

^ this would be HUGE. as soon as someone gets some inside info on this, PLEASE post! i'd love to see a new tallest in Tucson but, damn, can't be disappointed in anything over 10 floors going up in the Ol' Pueblo! Plus, it will hide the "bathroom tile" building from the southern view lol.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 8:37 PM

Wow! 300'. Not bad, Tucson!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 9:36 PM

Per Joe Ferguson on Twitter, the out-of-town developer is JE Dunn, which is also working on the Arizona Stadium renovation. They're partnering with Ron Schwabe/Peach Properties, which owns the north side of the block fronting Congress. This is JE Dunn's commercial portfolio: https://www.jedunn.com/expertise-wor...vironments/all.

EDIT - I guess the important part of the story is that the RN board unanimously voted to negotiate with JE Dunn/Schwabe to develop the property.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
EDIT - I guess the important part of the story is that the RN board unanimously voted to negotiate with JE Dunn/Schwabe to develop the property.
Isn't Peach also the developer on the Ronstadt proposal? Do they have the capacity and ability to raise capital for both projects?

EDIT: Never mind, I read that wrong. I see that Dunn is partnering with Peach

Last edited by crzyabe; Jan 23, 2018 at 10:33 PM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 11:02 PM

New concept.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 11:32 PM

EDIT - Official project name is "75 Broadway." http://tucson.com/news/local/rio-nue...campaign=share

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 12:56 AM

Quote:
"Out of town developer" has me both excited and nervous. If this works out, that factor alone (not even considering the height) would be a huge game changer for downtown.
Completely agree. After the initial excitement of a building that is above 8 stories downtown - and the second tallest building in Tucson - the thing that caught my eye was out of town developer. That tells me that it's not just locals that think it's a good idea to invest in Tucson, and that maybe we've hit that critical mass people talk about - of employment, of residence, of buzz - in downtown that will continue to sustain and attract new development.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 6:48 AM

That's cool! So now we have three proposals for downtown Tucson projects each over $100 million. Ronstadt transit center, Arena site, and 75 Broadway. Could all these projects be built in the same timeframe? Crazy if they all do.

Its certainly going to be a traffic nightmare considering downtown links is going to begin soon and construction on a few new hotels in the heart of downtown
as well. But I'm all for it! This is what is going to make our city stronger, more competitive, and attractive. Keep rollin!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 9:15 AM

Good looking building we've got here. I am a fan of the little mall they've got themselves going as well. Great addition to the city. It's not as iconic of a design as I'd say 1 S. Church or even the Bank of America towers are but since it's not the city's tallest I don't think that's a huge issue. We need some solid looking towers like this to start giving us a real 'city' feel. Not every tower in San Diego is even half as decent as this one yet the sheer amount of towers they have is impressive. We need that awe factor. Not only do we have amazing landscapes but we are capable of building amazing things too.

https://www.kgun9.com/news/local-new...owntown-tucson

Hopefully there are enough tenants to get this baby to 300 feet!

Also a huge fan of the September 2020 opening. It's probably ambitious but even an early 2021 opening would be nice. Gotta start construction before all the NIMBY's jump on board. It'll probably start long before the Ronstadt and Arena Site, if those ever come to fruition. In the unlikely event that all three are built, it's hard to imagine what could stop the momentum in the city. It won't be a world class downtown but it's going to stand strong to say the least.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest