HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment

Old Posted Oct 27, 2009, 4:33 AM

Bob Rennie's private art museum opens in Chinatown's oldest building

Bob Rennie's private art museum opens in Chinatown's oldest building

Mona Hatoum, at Bob Rennie's new private gallery in Chinatown, with her installation called Hot Spot.
Photograph by: Bill Keay, Vancouver Sun

Bob Rennie's life is hectic at the best of times. But this week, it's in overdrive. Tonight the local real estate titan is unveiling his private art museum to the world - and a lot of the world has come to see it.

"We have 72 people from out of town at the house for dinner tonight," he said Friday afternoon.

"Tomorrow there is a few hundred invited [to the opening]."

He laughs, a bit ruefully.

"It's like a wedding. You can't have everybody to the wedding, 'cause as soon as you invite one cousin you've got to invite the other cousins. Socially it's very straining on me, because my nature is to be inclusive."

It's also hard on Rennie because he wants the focus to be on the art and the artist, not the collector. Which is a stretch, considering he's a local celebrity who has spent upwards of $10 million transforming the oldest building in Chinatown into one of Canada's most dramatic spaces.

But he's found an artist to meet the challenge of opening the stunning space - Mona Hatoum, a Palestinian artist who lives in London.

"I chose Mona Hatoum because the art deals with the sensitivity of identity and place," said Rennie, whose collection focuses on socially-conscious contemporary art.

"It really suited the Downtown Eastside [where the gallery is located]."

One of the key pieces in the display is Hot Spot, a giant globe with continents fashioned from red neon light.

"Hot Spot normally refers to spots of conflict in the world," Hatoum explained over the hub-bub of last-minute construction.

"When I was making this work I was thinking spots of conflict are no longer restricted to specific areas, or specific borders. It feels to me at least that the whole world is caught up in conflict and unrest, as opposed to specific little areas of the world."

It's a striking piece. The globe is a frame, the neon is strung over top, and you can see right through it.

"The actual structure that holds the neon is very delicate, and at the same time has this kind of feeling of high tension, high electricity," said Hatoum.

"It buzzes, when it's quiet you can hear the buzz of the electricity. The globe looks very much like a cage, but these bars are actually corresponding to the meridians and parallels. There's something fragile about it, but at the same time there's an implication of danger, because the red [neon] you think of as red hot."

Rennie loves it.

"[It means] when one of us have a problem we all have a problem," he said.

"If somebody in a household gets cancer, the whole household gets cancer. I think it's very appropriate for the Downtown Eastside. We say that Vancouver has a homeless problem. Well, Vancouver doesn't have a homeless problem, Canada does. It just happens to exist on East Hastings street. So it really fits."

The 53-year-old bought his first piece of art (a Norman Rockwell print) when he was only 17. He's been building a serious collection over the past 30 years, and is well known internationally - he's on the American acquisitions board of the Tate Modern art gallery in London.

"We have a photography collection, a painting collection, an identity collection, and an appropriation collection," said Rennie.

"We have 40 artists that we collect in depth, and about 170 artists in the collection. Our collection is known for taking on major tough works, and then going backwards and acquiring older works, while we move forward slowly with the artists."

The first work displayed in his museum is a neon sign by Britain's Martin Creed reading "Everything is going to be alright." It's installed on the sixth storey roof, so that it can be seen all over the place - including the financially troubled Olympic village in False Creek, where Rennie is selling the condos.

Rennie knows that some would consider that a controversial statement, given the entrenched poverty and social problems around his building. But he really believes it, and wants to be part of positive change in the historic neighbourhood.

"My goal is to have the less fortunate walking down the street with the fortunate, and bring balance to the community," said Rennie.

"You're not going to do it by having all of one, whether it's less fortunate or all fortunate. I think by bringing my offices down there, and bringing the world to look at the museum, it's helping to animate the street."

It's a private gallery, but will be open to the public by scheduled appointments Thursdays. It is definitely worth a look, because the inside is breathtaking.

The gallery is located at the back of the Wing Sang building, which was built in 1889 by Yip Sang, a Chinatown legend who made his fortune hiring the Chinese labourers that built the Canadian Pacific Railway.

The property at 51 East Pender is actually two structures, a three-storey building in front and a six-storey building in back. The front building held Yip Sang's import-export business, the Wing Sang company. Originally two storeys, a third was added in 1901. In 1912, Yip added a six storey building in back, where he housed his large family - four wives and 23 children.

The front building will be Rennie's office, some gallery space and a couple of retail outlets. The back building holds the main gallery, and has been completely transformed. Empty since the 1970s, it was in poor repair, so Rennie gutted it into a four-storey high space.

"It's a fantastic space," said Hatoum, who has a long-time association with Vancouver's Western Front gallery.

"It's really a dream for any artist."

Hatoum's Berlin art dealer Max Hetzler flew in for the opening. There are private galleries like this in Europe, but he said Rennie's gallery ranks with the best.

"It's museum standard," he said. "Beautifully done, great light.

"This size and this vision that Bob has is very unique. I can't think of any comparable private space in Europe. I can tell you there are private galleries, and collectors who have their own space, but the main gallery that Bob built is fantastic. It's amazing."

Rennie clearly loves the building,

"We took the heritage restoration on as a legacy for our family," said Rennie.

"The museum is Bob Rennie and my partner Carey Fouks and my three children."

Mind you, it's an easy building to love, because it includes all sorts of amazing period quirks. His office will be in the old schoolroom for Yip Sang's children, which retains its original blackboard. To the west of the building is a secret alleyway that the Chinese would use back in the old days to access the hidden world between Chinatown's commercial buildings in front and residences in back.

"The slot, the old secret laneway of Chinatown, I think is one of the most important spaces in the city," said Rennie.

"We didn't allow our Chinese population out after sundown in the 1920s. It's wrong, it's wrong, it's wrong. But that memory has to be restored."

The plan is to have three shows per year, showing works from Rennie's collection. After Hatoum, the lineup is Richard Jackson, then Thomas Houseago, Amy Brisson and Kerry James Marshall.

"The only goal [of the museum] is that artists want to show there," said Rennie.

"So we created 20,000 square feet with six different spaces that artists will be challenged by and want to live up to the challenge."

jmackie@vancouversun.com

http://www.vancouversun.com/entertai...201/story.html

Old Posted Oct 27, 2009, 6:11 AM
Dérive-r

I'd love to check that place out. As much as Rennie can rub me the wrong way, I really appreciate that he has given this invaluable 'gift' to the neighbourhood and city as a whole. It's nice to know he loves his city, wants to contribute meaningfully to it, and is passionate about more than just making ridiculous amounts of money.

Last edited by raggedy13; Oct 27, 2009 at 4:35 PM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2009, 4:52 PM

Quote:
The first work displayed in his museum is a neon sign by Britain's Martin Creed reading "Everything is going to be alright." It's installed on the sixth storey roof, so that it can be seen all over the place - including the financially troubled Olympic village in False Creek, where Rennie is selling the condos.
I noticed that neon sign on Friday when I was in Chinatown with a friend... it looks good.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2009, 6:10 PM
victory in near

I read this article over the weekend and a few things popped out at me:

1) this guy must be shitting buckets of money. who can spend all this money on art, spends $10 million transforming a building into a private gallery/museum and then invite people from the around world to come see it?

2) I'm guessing there were no polygamy laws for the chinese way back in 1912.

Last edited by djmk; Oct 28, 2009 at 4:51 AM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2009, 4:38 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

The opening on Saturday was only open to select people, there will be another opening in November. After that one it will be open to the public somewhat. It will be open on Thrusdays you have to call in advance to get your name on the list. I highly recommend it as it's truly a great gallery. Bob gets a lot of flack but he's a great guy and this gallery will become a his legacy.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 5:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
The opening on Saturday was only open to select people, there will be another opening in November. After that one it will be open to the public somewhat. It will be open on Thrusdays you have to call in advance to get your name on the list. I highly recommend it as it's truly a great gallery. Bob gets a lot of flack but he's a great guy and this gallery will become a his legacy.
And here I thought he'd be most proud of selling me my condo.

The gallery looks interesting.

He is following in the footsteps of Minoru Mori, though, he put his art museum on the 53rd floor of his own skyscraper and charges for admission.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 1:50 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Good article in the globe about the building and surrounding area.

At Bob Rennie's big launch party for Chinatown's oldest building late last month, the well-heeled crowd of 800 took in a combination of conceptual art, historical artifact and a whole lot of champagne.

In one room was a giant sculptural globe depicting armed conflict around the world. On a wall upstairs, there was an 1890s chalkboard on which remained the original chalk markings of Chinese school children.

It was as much a launch party for the long-awaited restoration of the 1889 Wing Sang Building at 51 E. Pender as it was for the large art pieces exhibited throughout the four-storey space - just a syringe's throw from the notorious Downtown Eastside. The art is by Palestinian artist Mona Hatoum, who flew in from London to be on hand for the opening of the building that will house Mr. Rennie's private art collection and his real estate offices.

"I don't want to make it about me," says Mr. Rennie, "but good ideas come from people who are dedicated to the plan rather than just economics."

He is referring, of course, to the fact that his five-year reno cost in the neighbourhood of $20-million.

It is Mr. Rennie's edifice complex, his dream building that represents his legacy as a world-class art collector.

As the marketing force behind so many of the city's major condo projects, he is also regarded as a key player in re-shaping downtown Vancouver. But will he re-shape Chinatown?

His restored building and art collection, the third largest private collection in Canada, is regarded by many as a beacon that will lead the tired, almost forgotten neighbourhood into a vibrant new era. According to that vision, pedestrians will be drawn to its streets, retailers will thrive, and residents will live in up-to-code living spaces over their stores and cycle to work. Chinese heritage will be preserved. Canada's biggest artist community will flourish. Density will more than double. And social housing will keep the area from becoming the enclave of the urban elite and upwardly mobile.

"People don't have to make as big a gesture," Mr. Rennie says. "They can do a storefront poetry reading, anything - do it. Don't just complain that somebody else is doing it."
As to whether Mr. Rennie's building, or the influence of Mr. Rennie himself, will help trigger the turnaround is a matter of speculation. Mostly, advocates for the area adopt the view that it's a start.

Prominent architect and long-time Chinatown advocate Joe Wai believes that the restored building is a boon.

"The overall thing is that it is generally good for restoration and revitalization of Chinatown," says Mr. Wai. "Bob Rennie is of course a very successful and high-profile adviser to developers, and well-known for his sales of condos. So it carries a message more than just the building. It carries the signal to the developers that this area merits looking at it because Bob Rennie is there.

"There are a lot of non-Chinese people and developers looking at Chinatown now."

There is worry, too, however, that Chinatown might lose its distinct flavour.

"It's fantastic that Bob is down here," says Carol Lee, a businesswoman who sits on many boards and has been active in revitalizing the area. Ms. Lee, who obtained her MBA from Harvard, located her skin care company in Chinatown, and she represents the area's new generation of professionals.

"We welcome innovation and people's efforts to help revitalize Chinatown, but we must always be mindful of the kind of future we want and be sensitive to the neighbourhood's cultural heritage."

Nobody is disputing that Chinatown needs a major injection of life, especially by way of density. Many of the old buildings that could offer housing above the retail floors are half empty because landlords can't afford to bring them up to code requirements, such as seismic upgrades. As well, the swell of new Chinese immigrants in the 1980s moved the Chinese base to the suburb of Richmond.

As Mr. Rennie says: "Richmond hijacked Chinatown. We've all been waiting to get old Chinatown back. It's not coming back."

The question is how to create density, especially in a neighbourhood known for its many opposing factions. The big worry is preserving heritage while bringing the place back to life.

Mr. Wai notes that there are only about 1,000 people living in Chinatown proper.

"There are not enough people living there," he says. "By 6 o'clock the whole place is very quiet and very scary."

Mr. Wai is for density, but he is against oppressive big towers because they don't create vibrancy. Others see higher buildings as the solution.

"If you want Chinatown to work, you have to have people living there, and you can't do that with two-storey buildings," says former city councillor Jim Green, who was a key player in developing the area's massive Woodward's project, comprised of four towers, including 200 units of social housing.

"That's how you pay for the social housing - in height and density."

Realtor and former park commissioner Allan DeGenova is a long-time adviser to the Chinatown Merchants Association. He says the market is ripe for condo development. He points to new nearby high rise developments such as the V6A, which slashed prices by 25 per cent and immediately found eager buyers.

"There is an opportunity to go in and do live-work studios, or save the façades and get the buildings up to seven or eight stories. But the incentive has to come from city hall or we're going to lose [the neighbourhood].

"The market is there. V6A went to market about two weeks ago and sold out about 80 per cent of the product because the price point was very attractive."

Last spring, the planning department consulted the neighbourhood and the surrounding area about options to densify with mid- or high-rise buildings.

A controversial part of that overall review was the question of whether to allow a tower up to 300 feet high at the Chinese Cultural Centre, next to the Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Gardens.

But after consultations with residents and business people, the idea of developing any towers was rejected, says Ms. Chen, who will present those findings to council before the 2010 Olympics.

"I think this is going to be a very exciting neighbourhood that is high-density," says Ms. Chen. "You can have density without towers."

Ms. Chen praised the Rennie building for fitting into the vision for a "living community."

But she added that Chinatown is already home to Canada's largest artist community. She is currently helping to develop the Hastings Street Renaissance project between Cambie and Gore, comprised of six long-vacant buildings that will house studios and galleries. Other signs of cultural life are emerging, such as a trendy new Chinese restaurant opening on Keefer Street, aimed at a younger crowd. Next door to Rennie's Wing Sang, will be a new restaurant from the owners of Gastown's popular Salt.

"Some people call it urban acupuncture," she says. "I see a lot of positive things happening."

He might help raise the area's profile, but in development terms, Mr. Rennie's building is still a one-off. Developer Robert Fung, known for his high-quality Gastown heritage developments, tried to redevelop some sites in Chinatown but found the major impediments were city policy and dealing with the building's owners.

"It is a landmark project and it's a great start for Chinatown, but it's not going to be the sole reason for things changing," says Mr. Fung. "There's a bunch of city policy that needs to be resolved and Chinatown itself needs to figure out what it wants to be.

"There are so many fractured opinions about what needs to happen. That's been a big challenge to trying to put together a co-ordinated effort to try to change things."

Mr. DeGenova insists that real change pivots on the city offering incentives such as tax breaks so that business people can economically upgrade their buildings.

"It's a good business model that [Bob Rennie] can write off, and he has his gallery to show his pieces, and it's a showpiece and it's great. But for anybody else to build a Bob Rennie building with those numbers? You can't justify that. When you work it backwards per square foot, that's $900 a square foot, and that will never happen."

Mr. Rennie himself knows that his building is a rarity in any neighbourhood, never mind Chinatown.

"I don't expect people to spend what I spent. I can't afford what I spent.

"Nobody will spend $2-million getting $800 a month in rent. Nobody will do that. These benevolent societies can't do that ... that's why the oldest building in Chinatown is owned by a Caucasian. Everybody wants an economic return. But I think that groups will get together and look for a cultural return."

So is he helping to save Chinatown?

"I don't know, but I think that we brought some balance," responds Mr. Rennie. "I would love to say we are bringing energy. Let's wait and see how it's measured."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/real-...rticle1353382/

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 4:44 PM

check out these pics of the rooftop art! this looks like an amazing space. that curved glass wall thing is really cool. rennie outdid himself.. he should be commended.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/conside...7622790756170/

Old Posted Apr 25, 2010, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Painting goes OFF THE WALL

Richard Jackson's paing-based installations reach beyond the boundaries of canvas

By Miro Cernetig, Vancouver SunApril 24, 2010

Bob Rennie made it big marketing real estate, hence his moniker in Vancouver — the Condo King. But at the age of 53, another facet of his life is emerging, one that may eclipse all those condos. He’s turned into a homegrown patron of the arts.

Don’t take my word for it. Listen to the Tate. He’s just been made the United Kingdom art gallery’s chair of its North American acquisitions committee.

“Bob, together with his partner Carey [Fouks], are among the leading contemporary art collectors in Canada,” the American Patrons of Tate announced a few months ago, “and we are thrilled that he has chosen to take on this leadership role.”

Rennie hasn’t talked much about that honour, but it essentially means his taste and curatorial skills have been given the international stamp of approval. He will help one of the world’s great art galleries identify rising artists and significant veterans who are creating cutting-edge contemporary art.

It’s exactly what Rennie was doing the other day in Vancouver, in the museum he has built in Chinatown, at a personal cost in excess of $10 million.

He stood with Richard Jackson, a California artist whose works he’s been collecting for years, in one of the museum’s cavernous galleries. They watched as two men beside them with rifles looked into telescopic sights and took aim at a vast canvas on a wall about 10 metres away.

They were firing paint-dipped lead pellets into a canvas that had a line-drawing reproduction of George Seurat’s Le Grande Jatte. It was pointillism, done with a firearm instead of a brush. It was laborious, slow, noisy and highly precise work. It was also a bit crazy and an attack on art’s conventions.

“That’s 60,000 shots,” said Rennie, as the air rifles methodically went off, sending out the lead pellets that hit a precise spot on the canvas, left a small dot and then ricocheted off to all points in the room.

When will it be finished?

“Oh, it probably will never be finished,” said Jackson, a hunter who dreamed up the idea of using firearms to paint.

As you might surmise, Jackson is not your mom’s and dad’s traditional artist, dutifully painting works to be framed and hung in galleries or the living room. Most of his work is theoretical. He makes meticulous drawings of whimsical concepts he envisions but can only be brought to life when a collector, such as Rennie, buys the concept and offers the space and money to create them.

“Most of my stuff is never made,” says Jackson, estimating that only 10 per cent of his work has come to life. “You need someone like Bob to make that happen.”

The artist paused, choosing his word’s carefully.

“Bob’s crazy, you know.”

Rennie wouldn’t disagree. He started collecting art in 1975, buying a Norman Rockwell print of two children sitting on top of the world for $375. Then he moved into Group of Seven artists and other predictable, and conservative, pieces.

But by the early 1990s, contemporary art became his consuming passion. Along with his partner, Fouks, Rennie has collected more than 1,000 works, sinking much of his personal fortune into what has become one of Canada’s best collections of contemporary art.

That collection, like many in private hands, was largely kept from the public realm. But Rennie and Fouks decided about eight years ago they would find a space to install and show their work. They bought and renovated two buildings in Chinatown, turning part of them into business offices, to run Rennie’s marketing firm, but turned the bulk of the space into a private gallery.

“We wanted a space to present the work,” says Rennie.

In the case of Jackson, however, they also need a place to make — or, as Rennie says — realize some of the collection.

Rennie had bought Jackson’s conceptual drawings over the last five years and placed them in storage. The problem with Jackson’s work is always where to find the space to let them come to being. Now that he has his own gallery, Rennie has solved that conundrum.

He flew Jackson up from California and for almost three weeks the 70-year-old artist has been creating, or realizing, the pieces he wasn’t sure he’d ever get to make. He says they’re working out pretty much as he thought they would.

One of them is called 1250 Stacked Paintings. It consists of 1,250 white canvasses that Jackson stretched in 2006 and stacked on palettes, where they waited for years for a chance “to be realized on site.”

Each day in Rennie’s gallery he paints the canvases and then stacks them one atop each other, creating a wall in the middle of the gallery. He leaves paint spatters on the floor, which is a plywood jigsaw puzzle of the artist’s head. He sees it as all part of the creation, which is in a sense an argument for the art and its making, not simply its exhibition.

What is it and what does it mean? Well, those aren’t really the right questions. It’s the concept of using the canvas and paint in an unconventional way, twisting that utilitarian view we usually take toward art, where the Jackson magic lies. To spend time with him is to realize he’s a man who truly doesn’t make art for money. He takes more pleasure in the conception and execution of the ideas than the final result.

“I hate art,” he says, with another whimsical laugh that leaves you wondering if you’re really getting his meaning. “I don’t have art in my house, I don’t collect it. But I like to make art, I like the process. But once I’ve made it, I don’t really even look at it.”

Rennie, who invests millions collecting such pieces, laughed. “That’s where I come into the picture, Richard.”

Although Rennie’s gallery is private and thus generally open to tours by appointment only, mostly due to the fact he has no public funding, he’s trying to open up his love of collecting and “realizing” art to Vancouverites. Next Friday, he’ll have a dinner at the gallery, where Jackson’s wild work will surround the guests. He’ll have an opening for about 600 people on May 1.

But more importantly, he’s bringing in young artists to meet the veteran. A dozen Emily Carr University students were invited to take classes with Jackson while he prepared his installations. They, were, to say the least, unusual.

“Have you brought your projects?” asked Jackson, as the class filed into the gallery where the air rifles were blasting away at the canvas.

Jackson looked over at me. “I asked them to create something that represents one of their fantasies.”

“Who’s going first?” he asked, turning back to the class.

Tiffin Breen hesitantly stepped forward, holding a bag.

“That’a girl,” said Jackson.

Breen lay a piece of paper on top of a metre-high cardboard cylinder, in which Jackson had shipped his rifles but was now using as an impromptu table. There was a long pause.

“What is it?” asked the artist.

“It’s a wishing well,” said Breen.

A full two minutes passed as Jackson stared at the object, squinting his eyes. Then he began talking about how he’d often wanted his own wishing well, and his neighbours had one in California. By the time he was finished his meandering pense it almost seemed that little piece of paper was indeed a piece of magic. Without saying it, he’d given a lesson on imagination.

“So what’s your fantasy?” Jackson finally inquired.

“For all my wishes to come true,” she said.

“That’s good,” said Jackson, picking up her wishing well, cracking open the cardboard cylinder and dropping it in. “I’m taking that back home to California with me.”

Watching these interactions over the last few days, Rennie was often in his office, delighted by it all. He can peek into his museum through a small window that he had installed in his office, watching Jackson teach the students and finish his conceptions.

Rennie wasn’t the least distressed that his $10-million-plus museum’s white walls were slowly being filled with Jackson’s crazy creations, riotous explosions of acrylic paint, or that those lead bullets were flying all about.

“I’m going to leave those paintings on the wall for good,” he said.

But how will he do that? I asked, if he needs the space for other work.

“Oh, I’m building a new wall in front of them,” said Rennie, as eager as the boy who bought that first Norman Rockwell 35 years earlier.

“This is art history you’re seeing out there. Richard needs a crazy guy who will build a wall over his work and keep it forever. Who knows what we’ll think about all of this in 25 years, or 50 years? They’ll have to buy the building, for this one, though. It’s incredible, isn’t it?”

Yes, actually, it is.

mcernetig@vancouversun.com
Source: http://www.vancouversun.com/travel/P...609/story.html

Last edited by Locked In; Apr 25, 2010 at 5:05 AM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2010, 5:03 AM

http://www.vancouversun.com/travel/P...609/story.html

Apparently the 1960's were a very good time for Mr. Jackson.

Can't say that's really the art I expected Mr. Rennie to collect...

This one is classy

Ohh~ And to know I helped finance it.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2010, 10:34 AM
BANNED

vancouver needs more philanthropists like bob to fully realize the full advancement of the arts and culture here. I only hope that the gallery eventually becomes more accessible.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2010, 12:05 PM
Reason and Freedom

Ah, The Urinating Paint Bears, a timeless classic, a giant among the pantheon of Western art!

With the acquisition of this work, the centre of gravity of the art world has shifted.

Last edited by Prometheus; Apr 26, 2010 at 7:51 PM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2010, 8:53 PM
Vancouver User

FYI y'all. You can visit the Rennie Collection Tuesdays & Thursdays. Just have to book an appointment.

Rennie Collection

I'm going to visit this afternoon.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment