Unapologetic Occidental

BLAND-ford.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 9:32 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
BLAND-ford.

torontodeath.com
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 9:36 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Arggh Ford... I can't believe I left half of what was there on the table.

Last edited by Acajack; Jan 7, 2019 at 9:48 PM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 2:09 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

flikr
Video Link

Eastgate in Hamilton/Stoney Creek is still alive and doing ok, probably because it's the only large mall in the lower east end of the city outside of the big box centres. It has a bunch of cheap clothing and mobile phone stores, but a variety of other stuff too. But it's had to deal with a number of anchor store changes and closures.

First was Woolco becoming a Zellers, then a Walmart which closed when a larger one opened down the road; now that space is configured as a mall wing with a Sportchek, Winners and a few other stores. There's a large Fortinos grocery store roughly where Eatons used to be. HomeSense is where the small Loblaws was. Robinsons became a Bay, then a Sears, and now sits empty... I bet they'll make it mall space.

It's also got a beer store and LCBO on the property, and a Jack Astors and Sunset Grill attached but not connected to the mall itself. If the LRT gets built, the eastern terminal station will be at Eastgate; it already has a transit terminal that serves as the end/transfer point for the B-Line express bus and other connecting routes. There is a long term vision for residential on site too as part of the redevelopment of the major arterial corridors adjacent to the mall.

We'll see how it all goes, but I think it will survive, probably with more change.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 5:03 AM

It's been about five years since I stopped off at Eastgate. Didn't know what to expect. Turns out it was pretty decent.

Hate driving on Centennial though. Tacky commercial street. That is until you pass King and rise up into the Escarpment.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 5:21 PM

RioCan, the owner of Ottawa's Lincoln Fields Shopping Centre, has applied for the mall's demolition. For now, the mall would be replaced by stand alone Metro and Rexall stores (relocating the two main tenants), but they plan on rolling out a high density residential development in the near future.

The mall is just west of the Lincoln Fields Transitway Station, one of the main west-end transfer points of our BRT system, set to be converted to rail as part of the next phase of the Confederation Line expansion.

RioCan has already started redeveloping the retail area around the Gloucester Centre, adjacent to Blair Station, the Stage 1 terminus. That involved demolishing a strip mall for a residential renal tower.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...tion-1.4993325

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 5:28 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
RioCan, the owner of Ottawa's Lincoln Fields Shopping Centre, has applied for the mall's demolition. For now, the mall would be replaced by stand alone Metro and Rexall stores (relocating the two main tenants), but they plan on rolling out a high density residential development in the near future.

The mall is just west of the Lincoln Fields Transitway Station, one of the main west-end transfer points of our BRT system, set to be converted to rail as part of the next phase of the Confederation Line expansion.

RioCan has already started redeveloping the retail area around the Gloucester Centre, adjacent to Blair Station, the Stage 1 terminus. That involved demolishing a strip mall for a residential renal tower.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...tion-1.4993325
Is the Walmart closed at Lincoln Fields?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 5:34 PM

Walmart closed at Lincoln Fields when they opened in the former Zellers/Target location at Bayshore.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...elds-1.3427154

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 5:43 PM
The Vomit Bag.

dead malls become fields of empty parking, but the luckier locations get redeveloped into something better. It is sad, however, for the local residents that may have mobility issues, when they now have to take transit, etc. to access the store variety they used to take for granted. In London, there is a huge community in the form of apartment slabs across the now derelict* Westmount Mall.

*not perhaps in a literal sense (the mall is not decayed, but extremely hollowed out; having lost its anchors and most of the chain stores, it is a shabby collection of vacant storefronts and crap niche retailers selling things that few people want).
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 6:03 PM

Quote:

*not perhaps in a literal sense (the mall is not decayed, but extremely hollowed out; having lost its anchors and most of the chain stores, it is a shabby collection of vacant storefronts and crap niche retailers selling things that few people want).
i.e Bob Marley flags, family crest plaques, ink refill places, those places that put your name on a block of wood for your cottage etc, places selling signs saying 'Porsche parking only', vape shops. Have I missed any segments of the retail landscape.?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 6:29 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
i.e Bob Marley flags, family crest plaques, ink refill places, those places that put your name on a block of wood for your cottage etc, places selling signs saying 'Porsche parking only', vape shops. Have I missed any segments of the retail landscape.?
You got most of them.

Also: sending a fax

family-owned /shitty "dollar stores" (i.e., distressed/discontinued merchandise and expired foods)

Cellphone bling/crap

vending massage-chairs

some messy-looking place selling saris

illegally-downloaded/copied/burned DVDs

maybe some place to get your toes scrubbed and your nails done

the great canadian chew-chew train

ardene

Ontario Lottery centre

unisex barber/salon

some place specializing in quilting or stamping or bed wetting or whatnot

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 6:34 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

maybe some place to get your toes scrubbed and your nails done
Fake eyelashes too!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 7:02 PM
arf

And marked up cell phone covers. And motorized animals the kids can ride.

I swear outside of the lunchtime business rush, the Cornwall Centre is just motorized animals away from being dead.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 8:00 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
And marked up cell phone covers. And motorized animals the kids can ride.

I swear outside of the lunchtime business rush, the Cornwall Centre is just motorized animals away from being dead.
In Regina?
https://globalnews.ca/video/4779198/...s-set-to-close

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 8:02 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
Don't forget the Famous Bari Shopping Mall Crisis: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=204693&page=4

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Don't forget the Famous Bari Shopping Mall Crisis: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=204693&page=4
A classic thread from the good old days. Looking at all the postings on that thread a sure sign a mall is dying or almost dead if it has a store selling those awful wolf howling at the moon sweatshirts. A Hickory Farms booth isn't usually a good sign either.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 8:37 PM
arf

Quote:
Yep. The mall is doing renovations, but the vacancies are starting to outpace the openings. It's the last battleground for malls here. Some will argue that Southland is still putting up a fight, but it's not for long really. H&M was supposed to be a big win, but I haven't seen it stem the weekend malaise at all and just a couple of years ago weekends were still fairly populated.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 10:12 PM

New Horizon Mall

New Horizon Mall between Calgary and Airdrie is a gem. I'm in Calgary every few weeks and there are no vital signs to be found.

Roughly a 95% vacancy rate.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...mall-1.4938044

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 3:39 AM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
New Horizon Mall between Calgary and Airdrie is a gem. I'm in Calgary every few weeks and there are no vital signs to be found.

Roughly a 95% vacancy rate.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...mall-1.4938044
I hope they will solve this issue soon.

The article is dated back to Dec 18, are there any updates?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 6:00 PM
Fake News

I stopped in back in the fall and it looked like this:

Video Link

Not sure how much different it looks today. Even with a tenfold increase in open stores it would still be vacant. The problem is that the mall developers got all their money upfront and now the investors are stuck trying to fill it. I’ve heard that the rent prices they were asking were like Chinook Centre level (our largest and very successful mall). The other problem frankly is the location. Cross Iron Mills is successful because it has big outlet stores that attract people based on prices and perceived value. New Horizons will likely attract bejeweled cellphone case stands, nicknack stores and other useless shit you can find at local dying malls. Why drive all the way out to Balzak for that?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada