HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jul 10, 2010, 5:58 PM

I take it this is complete now?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2010, 6:23 PM
Honored Member

I think that it turned out very well. Which is the original building - the left or right side?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2010, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I think that it turned out very well. Which is the original building - the left or right side?
The old section is in the second photo fronting onto Ochterlonely Street.

I'm also quite pleased with how this development turned out.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2010, 11:07 PM

This building turned out great. I think the developer did a great job of keeping the look of the building as it once did.

Before:

After:

Old Posted Jul 12, 2010, 3:42 PM
hi

I love this development overall. I'm a bit disappointed that they painted (stucco'ed?) over the original brick; to me it makes it less distinguishable as a nicely done restoration/addition vs. just a nicely built new building. I think the old brick would've looked great contrasted with new windows/sills etc. Anyway, maybe that's nitpicking.

I recently found out that my mother attended this school as a kid - made this development a little more personal for me, ha.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2010, 4:20 PM

I agree with bluenoser a bit; the stuco could've been left off and I would've been happy.

But this is a great example of using heritage buildings and still seeing development. Not a great example of taller buildings with heritage, but still a good example of heritage intergration.

I think that this project should be touted for using historical resources as an advantage, instead of tearing the building down.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 9:34 AM

I don't think they covered over the bricks purely for aesthetic reasons. I think it was more so to do with insulating the building. If they did it from the inside of the building they would have lost more floor space and covered over some of the old brick they wanted to leave exposed inside of the units.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 10:12 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I'm sure if it were aesthetic they would have kept the exterior brick. Part of it is probably the brick maintenance (repointing) in addition to the insulation, although maybe it would have been worth it for the front part of the building.

Either way, I greatly prefer this to the abandoned brick version.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 10:15 PM

I agree, the old brick would've looked better - so if I were to score this out of 10; I would've given a higher mark for the older brick.

That being said, I still give this at least a 7, if not an 8 out of 10. So if it had retained the original brick, top marks - but still its a reasonable approach and still a good example of heritage integration.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 10:24 PM

This is the school I attended as an elementary school student, and this is the project that first drew me to this forum.

Just bumping this one up to the top, wondering if any forum members ever moved into this building and what their impressions are of it.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
This is the school I attended as an elementary school student, and this is the project that first drew me to this forum.

Just bumping this one up to the top, wondering if any forum members ever moved into this building and what their impressions are of it.
We were in for a visit when it was first opened for rental, we wanted to see how well it had been configured. We were in again some time after to see if they had an MT unit. We liked it but the proposed high rise next door ruins all the good work that took place in restoring the old school. At the rear the proposed building would be as close as 8 feet. Lawen always does a good job and city staff gave him far too much grief during the conversion from school to residential. The view from the street in summer and fall is beautiful and far more attractive than many recent apartment buildings.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
We were in for a visit when it was first opened for rental, we wanted to see how well it had been configured. We were in again some time after to see if they had an MT unit. We liked it but the proposed high rise next door ruins all the good work that took place in restoring the old school. At the rear the proposed building would be as close as 8 feet. Lawen always does a good job and city staff gave him far too much grief during the conversion from school to residential. The view from the street in summer and fall is beautiful and far more attractive than many recent apartment buildings.
Those properties adjacent were sold recently. I am not sure who bought them but I have a feeling the development agreement that was approved has expired.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 4:17 PM

I don't recall that there was anything approved that would put a new building right next to Greenvale. There is a driveway to the West and parking to the South. Anything built should have to have some setback/greenspace. I drive by it everyday, it's lovely. I was inside just before they started the renos, and the rain was falling through the floors, and the walls were moldy and peeling. Like Colin I was in and saw a couple of the units up for rent, some had tall ceilings and expanses of exposed brick. Before the rent I had climbed a ladder into the attic, the flat roof would have been a great spot for a rooftop patio.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
I don't recall that there was anything approved that would put a new building right next to Greenvale.
I was referring to the empty lot at the back. There is a development agreement in place for a 16(?) storey apartment. The original developer sold several lots for $3,000,000 on February 28 2019 including 150 Ochterloney and 94 Queen and the former bowling alley site. The agreement has been extended for a few years.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 7:40 PM

Thanks for the info! Hopefully there will be some setback to anything built around it so that it doesn't get crowded out.

I'm glad it turned out well as that building will always have special memories for me. I agree with the earlier postings that it would have been nice to keep the original brick visible from the outside, but perhaps this was done to enable the outer units to have exposed brick on the inside?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
I was referring to the empty lot at the back. There is a development agreement in place for a 16(?) storey apartment. The original developer sold several lots for $3,000,000 on February 28 2019 including 150 Ochterloney and 94 Queen and the former bowling alley site. The agreement has been extended for a few years.
Thanks for the info. I hope whoever bought it decides to redesign. It was a god awful proposal and with the phase 2 coming for the Sawmill daylighting there is going to be a nice new park right there. Would be a shame if the developer turned their back to it.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Thanks for the info. I hope whoever bought it decides to redesign. It was a god awful proposal and with the phase 2 coming for the Sawmill daylighting there is going to be a nice new park right there. Would be a shame if the developer turned their back to it.
HRM should expropriate the 2 lots adjacent Greenvale and have one large open park space.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth