HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 3:20 PM

Should be taller.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It is similar to the Lexington, another Kassner-Goodspeed project.

In spite of the criticisms I do think it will be good for the area since it is much better than a decades-old empty lot. Increasing the population density in the core is very important.
I do agree with you re: empty lots & increasing downtown population, but why does it seem whenever there is an average/subpar development proposal, it is justified by the need for increased density at all costs no matter what kind of building goes up? Do we just have to accept that we are in Halifax and that these buildings are the norm? I think we can do better.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 7:43 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It's not a justification. It's just important to have a sense of perspective.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 10:10 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

So the sign is up already. Rarely do signs go up unless there is a really good chance of being built. Has this already been approved?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2011, 12:04 AM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUB View Post
I do agree with you re: empty lots & increasing downtown population, but why does it seem whenever there is an average/subpar development proposal, it is justified by the need for increased density at all costs no matter what kind of building goes up? Do we just have to accept that we are in Halifax and that these buildings are the norm? I think we can do better.
I would sooner see a lot stay empty than populate it with a permanent eyesore. This mediocre development phase in Halifax has been lasting far too long.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2011, 2:15 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Buildings like this aren't any more permanent in Halifax than empty lots. Some lots have been around for 60 years or longer. My guess is that this one is one of those.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2011, 2:17 AM
Honored Member

I like the general shape. What should be done to make the exterior more acceptable?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2011, 2:41 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I like the general shape. What should be done to make the exterior more acceptable?
The X stitching needs to go. Also if the brick lines could run vertical instead of horizontal that might help too. It looks like cakes stacked on each other in the rendering.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2011, 4:15 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
So the sign is up already. Rarely do signs go up unless there is a really good chance of being built. Has this already been approved?
Well, the sign for the previous proposal on this site (Almathea or whatever) was up for ages and yet it is still an vacant lot.

I liked the old design.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2011, 3:30 PM

Condos ‘gateway to downtown’

44-unit complex would overlook Halifax Commons

By BRUCE ERSKINE

Business Reporter

Halifax developer Danny Chedrawe may be excused for beating his own drum about a new condominium project his company is building across from Citadel Hill.

“There’s nothing like it in Halifax," the president of Westwood Developments Ltd ., said Wednesday in an interview.

Westwood plans to begin construction of the Drum, as it has been dubbed, in June, pending final municipal approval.

The six-storey, 44-unit, flatiron-style building, which gets its moniker from a cylinder at one end, will sit on a wedge of land near Centennial Pool bounded by Rainnie Drive, North Park Street and Cog­swell Street.

“It’s the gateway to the downtown," said Chedrawe.

The stone and brick development, which overlooks the Halifax Commons, is in keep­ing with the history of the location, he said. “It’s a unique property, a rare opportuni­ty to own land by Citadel Hill.

“We’ve never built anything like this.

We’re quite excited."

Westwood has another project in the preliminary stages that is planned for the site of Cruikshank’s Funeral Home on Robie Street. Chedrawe’s company bought the site late last year from the property’s former Texas owners.

“It’s a great site for a residential devel­opment," said Chedrawe. Westwood plans to build condominiums that cost in the range of $250,000 to $500,000 on the 18,000-square-foot site, also overlooking the Commons.

“It’s prime real estate. There’s good de­mand."

Westwood will hold public meetings to gauge public opinion about the devel­opment in March and April before sub­mitting a proposal to municipal planners in May.

But Chedrawe said he envisions a six- to 12-storey development that won’t be as tall as the adjacent 17-storey Welsford apart­ment building.

“We have no plans to go to the height of the Welsford."

Chedrawe expects the approval process for the funeral home development will take a year and that construction could begin in the summer of 2012.

The 22,000-square-foot Gladstone North apartment complex Westwood is building at Almon and Gladstone streets is under construction and scheduled to be finished in September.

The company also has two major com­mercial projects under development in the Spring Garden Road area.

They include a 25,000-square-foot glass building at the corner of Spring Garden Road and Birmingham Street that will house a TD Canada Trust branch and a hotel-condominium-retail complex front­ing Spring Garden Road and bordered by Brunswick, Queen and Doyle streets.

(berskine@herald.ca)

Old Posted Feb 17, 2011, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It's not a justification. It's just important to have a sense of perspective.
Thanks for the perspective

Old Posted Feb 17, 2011, 10:25 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Improvements can be made by eliminating the features that make it a poor design:

- x-out brick design must go
- layered brick design must go....have a look at the ugliest building in HRM, Churchill Apts. a tin layer cake
http://maps.google.ca/maps?ie=UTF8&h...56.08,,0,-17.5
- turf the bland slider windows
- open area unter Rotunda is very stark c/w stark concrete wall
- poured concrete pillars are tacky and will look like they belong in an u/g parking garage
- precast trim on lower level would work better on a surburban strip mall....although I wouldn't wish it on them
- the thoughtless mix of styles and textures are confusing to look at and should be stopped by HxD design review committee

Last edited by Empire; Feb 19, 2011 at 3:17 AM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Well, the sign for the previous proposal on this site (Almathea or whatever) was up for ages and yet it is still an vacant lot.

I liked the old design.
It doesn't take much to put a sign up, but following the business for a while it become obvious which builders/developers know how to deliver. I'm not sure what Almathea has built, but Westwood is getting things done. (Although with their past work I would expect better quality for this project).

From the buyer's point of view too, for pre-sales I would feel much safer pre buying from Westwood or Fares than most other groups. Like that new one on Barrington, a no-name builder....questionable.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 4:46 PM

That is one breathtakingly hideous building. How does this kind of utter trash keep getting built in Halifax? Total embarrassment. Especially for such a prime location.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 7:05 PM

Is it too much to hope for something a bit more like this? (he Gooderham building in Toronto, one of my favourites)

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 7:06 PM

Oops, here's the link for the Gooderham:

http://wvs.topleftpixel.com/photos/2...uilding_pc.jpg

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 7:15 PM

Im also going to have to agree that the old design was way better. The brick used, the old trim along the roof top and the corner retail looking structure are reminiscent of something built in the 1920's or 30's. Beautiful and timeless,(edit: just like that gooderham building above) especially with large tree's near by.

The new design is more modern. But I don't believe it will hold up over the years like the old one. Its not really nice looking to begin with.

Also, the X designs really do make it look like a drum. Very tacky, but thats my personal opinion.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav View Post
Im also going to have to agree that the old design was way better. The brick used, the old trim along the roof top and the corner retail looking structure are reminiscent of something built in the 1920's or 30's. Beautiful and timeless,(edit: just like that gooderham building above) especially with large tree's near by.

The new design is more modern. But I don't believe it will hold up over the years like the old one. Its not really nice looking to begin with.

Also, the X designs really do make it look like a drum. Very tacky, but thats my personal opinion.
I can't think of any circular building that looks good off the top of my head. Maybe circles just look bad. Can anyone thing of any attractive circle buildings?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2011, 5:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav View Post

Agreed - this is a total disappointment for a site that is located on such a prominant site. This is an entry for goodness sake - this requires good quality design. I wonder if because he has so many projects going, he just doesn't have the $ to go good quality in this situation? Or if it's a matter that the other projects he has going are such a financial drain that he needs something simple and quick? I think someone else earlier might have asked that?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2011, 1:48 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Agreed - this is a total disappointment for a site that is located on such a prominant site. This is an entry for goodness sake - this requires good quality design. I wonder if because he has so many projects going, he just doesn't have the $ to go good quality in this situation? Or if it's a matter that the other projects he has going are such a financial drain that he needs something simple and quick? I think someone else earlier might have asked that?
I think it is because he does doesn't know what good design is?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth