HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post
It's akin to ISIS destroying ancient religious temples and cultural artifacts in the middle east. Just not out of spite and ignorance, rather out of indifference and ignorance.
Not that it is an excuse, because we should be better than that, but how much of that would you say is because of the relative young history of the country? How many generations until something is truly historic? Did people in the late 19th century care about preservation? Or were the buildings just utilitarian until they became historic? Makes you wonder what historic gems would still be around, but disappeared before anyone had the ability to truly capture it.

I'd also say that along with indifference, some of it comes down to priorities. I think everyone would prefer to keep the historic integrity of their communities, if it was zero-sum. But when you have dying mill towns in Appalachia that are never going to recover, have inflated unemployment and vast under-education for an economy that has made generational trades/skill obsolete and are swept up in heroin addictions, it's probably tough to galvanize the communities to save structures that will be historic 70 years after their kids overdose.

Not saying I agree with that mentality, and that is probably one of the reasons neighborhoods fail to begin with, but I understand how it gets to that point.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos