HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 5:23 PM

Who said metro Paris was a low-rise empire?

Just found on SSC, hopefully won't cause any copyright issue on here either.

Central Paris is purely ignored, missing on that picture all focusing on the challenging skyline of the high-rise suburb.
Immortal city the world will have to deal with forever. Héhéhé.

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 10:24 AM

In la Défense, Canadian Ivanhoé Cambridge, Inc. sold the Pacific tower to American Tishman Speyer Properties for €215 mi.

The building is from 1992. They yet call it of an "old generation", saying it would be in the need of a renovation that would require some significant work, which would explain the deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tour_Pacific

If they ever changed the facade - for recladding's been in fashion lately over la Défense - hope they would preserve the beautiful glass curtain of it, though.

Old Posted May 24, 2013, 8:08 AM

The new Eqho tower in La Défense

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 11:09 AM

Any updates here...thanks

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 4:55 PM

View on la Défense from Saint-Cloud, by Cyril for SSC.

From left to right, cranes are working on Majunga, D2 and the Melia hotel that doesn't have any thread on here cause it's only 20-story tall or so. Of course we'll bring some updates up here.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 11:12 AM

They were speaking of the 'Lego' trend of contemporary architecture in the Detroit thread, rather on the tone of criticism. Well, I actually find it often satisfying for the affordable housing projects in Paris, especially to upgrade the suburbs in a modern style. Maza brought this example of Évry, a southern suburb of Paris to the French forum.

Thanks to Maza for his Évry updates.

Now you guys may call these plain, I think that kind of simplicity is pretty welcoming and above all far better than the wide concrete bars of the post-war era. I mean the massing and the layout are alright and I like colors. My only concern is time. Hopefully they'll take care of them so they remain clean and decent. The windows are often too narrow for my taste, though. It's because of the severe energy efficiency standards in France. Buildings have to save heat as much as possible. So as far as I understood, it seems that when budgets are rather humble, our architects struggle to provide some generous sized windows nowadays. That's too bad. But these buildings are yet alright in my opinion.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2013, 10:01 AM
Anticonformiste

Tour Alto, 150m à La Défense, dessinée par SRA, 38 étages, 2014-2016.
52 000m².

Old Posted Jun 16, 2013, 11:53 AM

The pedestrian-oriented redevelopment of place de la République (at the intersection of the 3rd, 10th and 11th arrondissements) is done, now fitted with the largest pedestrian area of all major squares in central Paris.
You can see it's newly rearranged as new trees are tiny for now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leparisien.fr

http://www.leparisien.fr/paris-75/en...13-2899589.php

Car addicts won't like it since the area devoted to them seriously decreased over the square. On the other hand, some new cafés and restaurants are expected around.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2013, 6:03 PM
testify

^ glorious. so nice that it's finally done, such a huge change.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 10:11 PM

Renovation of the Blanche tower, formerly Chartis. Once more, you can see they're sometimes in oddities in la Défense.

defense-92.fr

Looking residential of the late 60s, something like that. If you think the former cladding looked better, you might not be lone in that opinion.
The glass looks much thicker than sleek, but I think it could be interesting once completed.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 9:11 PM

Latest news about la Défense, Jean Nouvel has been chosen to design an 80k m² (850k ft²) office tower on that location of Puteaux's territory.

on imageshack.us

I don't think this is a rendering. It just must show the massing and layout of what's planned there. The office building should be roughly 200m (650 ft) tall. There would also be some regular + student housing in a couple of 200 footers. We should get some more accurate renderings within the coming months. Nouvel's firm would be responsible for the design of this whole thing (offices + housing). He's still waiting for an achievement in la Défense. Since he's both French and a Pritzker prize winner, people are like sorry that he couldn't build a tower yet there.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 9:52 PM
TL;DR

The renovation at Republique is awesome. Surprisingly contemporary for a historic square in Haussmannian Paris. Will it seem out of place to Parisians like the Centre Pompidou?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 10:04 PM

I love the Place de la République renovation too. The nice choice of paving is both contemporary and classic in its simplicity. Overall, a much better use of the space. Félicitations!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 10:30 PM

Everybody approves what's been done on République. Many in the city have been fed up with that too large space of the streets taken by cars and want to rebalance their urban environment. So the same kind of rearrangement is expected to come to the Bastille and Nation squares.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muji View Post
I love the Place de la République renovation too. The nice choice of paving is both contemporary and classic in its simplicity. Overall, a much better use of the space. Félicitations!
How is it a better use of space when car traffic is constrained and traffic jams increased (which is bad for the economy, and bad for the air we breathe), just for the sake of a few idle passer-by who had already enough sidewalks to walk on with the old square?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
Car addicts won't like it since the area devoted to them seriously decreased over the square.
"Car addicts" are those who make the metropolis work, whereas the insufferable scarf-wearing, Sartre-reading, cappuccino-sipping bobos à la Bernard Henri-Lévy are those who are turning Paris into a museum and tourist theme park that doesn't attract the European youth anymore.

Your derogative term is also an insult to the millions of middle-class Parisians who have had to flee the central areas due to the insane cost of housing, and are replaced by the insufferable and unproductive bobos who monopolize the "intellectual" and high-paying jobs. The "car addicts" simply need their cars to go to work and put bread on the table, unlike the bobos who can afford the luxury to walk to their nearby central offices.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Everybody approves what's been done on République.
Absolutely UNTRUE. Not everybody approves of Bertrand Delanoë's anti-car, anti-city, pro-boboland policies. His recent decision to close the Left Bank expressway and to severely restrict traffic on the Right Bank expressway (complete with setting up traffic lights, on an expressway, where there are no pedestrians crossing ) is criticized by most people outside of boboland, and makes the life of hundreds of thousands of middle-class Parisians miserable, just for the tranquility of a few super rich people who can afford to live in the heart of the city along the Seine River.
Quote:
So the same kind of rearrangement is expected to come to the Bastille and Nation squares.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 10:55 PM
testify

^ wow, crazy person alert.

i lived near the place de la republique when i was at university in paris and i can tell you both that traffic isn't very heavy around there and that this is the sort of centerpiece that the area needs. it's rare when there's such an obvious solution to a problem, but the renovation of this square was totally obvious, and they did a great job. bastille could use it too, obvious there too.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Brisavoine View Post
Absolutely UNTRUE. Not everybody approves of Bertrand Delanoë's anti-car, anti-city, pro-boboland policies. His recent decision to close the Left Bank expressway and to severely restrict traffic on the Right Bank expressway (complete with setting up traffic lights, on an expressway, where there are no pedestrians crossing ) is criticized by most people outside of boboland, and makes the life of hundreds of thousands of middle-class Parisians miserable, just for the tranquility of a few super rich people who can afford to live in the heart of the city along the Seine River.
We were talking about République. You remember? That Seine river project is something else, more controversial indeed. I don't even think it's basically a bad idea, but they definitely went too fast on it.

Take it easier. That boboland you're describing is a well known reality, but it's incomplete and not even the topic here. You might be too politicized, mm? I'm not, all I know is that square looks better and more friendly now.

And yes, I maintain 'car addicts'. There's still a whole lot of people both in the city proper and in the inner burbs that won't use the subway or the commuter network while they easily could, because they simply scorn it all. You've never seen any of those? That still certainly includes lots of hypocritical bobos as other kinds of scornful douches. Car addicts goes to them.

You don't have to be the annoying dickhead of a Parisian bobo to feel like cars take too much space in a city, tons of random citizens have that feeling. I live a suburb myself. I tell you, cars have been too invasive, everywhere. That's enough.

I might add that many, if not surely most people from the burbs who really need their cars to get to work don't have to daily pass through the inner city, since they work in the suburbs. Almost all those both living and working in the suburbs can't avoid using their cars indeed. Take someone who lives in Yvelines and works somewhere in Essonne for example. There are countless cases of that kind that won't give a damn about traffic jams over central Paris, that's not their everyday problem that the modern transit policies should address in priority today, suburb-to-suburb moves and business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Brisavoine View Post
[...] the insufferable scarf-wearing, Sartre-reading, cappuccino-sipping bobos à la Bernard Henri-Lévy are those who are turning Paris into a museum and tourist theme park that doesn't attract the European youth anymore.
Really, you're a little excessive and stereotyping, huh? Who seriously cares about stuff like Jean-Paul Sartre nowadays? Anyway, that well-off local left wing will need help (and bad kicks) to manage the city properly. If that's what you meant, that's obviously right.
You'd better get ready for Hidalgo, though. lol

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 7:56 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

Some new renders of the Canopée above Forum des Halles mall.

New vidéo

http://travaux.forumdeshalles.com

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 7:58 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

Some pictures of the construction taken by myself.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations