HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 7:21 PM

So long as this view stays in one piece, I'm happy.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
I believe the Squamish nation will play nicely with the city and I'm equally sure the city will be extremely favourable with them. At the end of the day they will be tieing into metro Vancouvers water and sewer lines and the city's road network so they can't just do as they please. The Squamish nation is quite successful and will play their cards accordingly.
So, I understand jurisdiction of these lands must be complex. But given that they will be using CoV and Municipal services for many things (water, gas, electricity, Fire, Ambulance, Police)...will they also be contributing to the tax base to cover these expenses?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
I believe the Squamish nation will play nicely with the city and I'm equally sure the city will be extremely favourable with them. At the end of the day they will be tieing into metro Vancouvers water and sewer lines and the city's road network so they can't just do as they please. The Squamish nation is quite successful and will play their cards accordingly.
The understanding I was given was that the CoV has a legal requirement to supply those services. While there are apparently other levers to push for compliance, they would not be used.

Also, I know many are talking about view cones affecting the property, but, if I recall correctly, doesn't the city also have a policy requiring buildings in this area to be lower than the bridge decks? Not that it really matters I suppose.

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 10:09 PM

Major housing development planned on Indigenous land in heart of Vancouver

Amy Smart / The Canadian Press
MAY 5, 2019

Dustin Rivers or Khelsilem, stands on the land below and next to the Burrard Street Bridge is pictured where the Squamish Nation is proposing a massive housing project in the city of Vancouver, Wednesday, May 1, 2019. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward

VANCOUVER — Walking along the base of the Burrard Street Bridge that crosses Vancouver's False Creek toward the downtown core, Khelsilem gestures across a gravel lot poised to become one of the largest Indigenous urban developments in Canada.

The Squamish Nation councillor, who also goes by the name Dustin Rivers, is standing on a pinched triangle of reserve land near the city's centre that the First Nation won back in 2002 after decades of legal battles.

The project is in its very early stages but if all goes as planned, the Squamish Nation will build about 3,000 housing units in a project that promises to answer some of the region's urgent housing needs at the same time that it presents a test of reconciliation.

"For a lot of other First Nations across the country, natural resources is the one option they have for growing their economies. Whereas for us, the land has been completely impacted (by the city's growth) and so real estate is really the one thing we can get involved in that will make sense to generate revenue," he said.

https://www.vancourier.com/major-hou...ver-1.23812306

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 12:04 PM

Squamish Nation’s planned development on reserve land in Vancouver doubles in size, includes 11 towers
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...ver/?cmpid=rss

The story is behind a pay wall so I can't read it.

https://twitter.com/globeandmail

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 1:31 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post

Squamish Nation’s planned development on reserve land in Vancouver doubles in size, includes 11 towers

Thanks. I wonder whether this will be a turning point for Vancouver, underscoring how pathetic and irresponsible city planning has been outside the downtown core, especially along rapid transit lines and commercial corridors, forcing the city to grow the fuck up.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 4:23 PM

Looking good! Any streetcar provisions?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...ver/?cmpid=rss

The story is behind a pay wall so I can't read it.

Some takeaways/highlights from the article

Quote:
Mr. Gillespie’s company is just finishing the Vancouver House project across the inlet, which, at 56 storeys, will be the same height as the tallest tower of Senakw.
Quote:
The firm Revery Architecture has designed the towers to echo elements of totem poles and reflect the mountains and sky of the North Shore, Khelsilem said.

Because it is on Indigenous land, the project is relatively free from city constraints.

As a result, planners are looking at providing parking for only 10 per cent of the apartments, far below the usual minimum, and abandoning the city’s preference for towers that sit on podiums of townhouses.
Open this photo in gallery

The project will be marketed to people who don’t own cars or are willing to sell them to live downtown.

Instead, the 11 towers will rise straight up. That will leave 80 per cent of the land available for publicly accessible space, some of which will be parks.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 5:21 PM

Isn't Vancouver House 49 stories? In any event, 11 towers with the tallest one possibly being 56 stories? The shit is going to hit the fan.

Maybe copy paste the story from G&M.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 5:23 PM

Some direct pedestrian & bike connections to Burrard bridge should be part of this with that lack of parking.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 5:23 PM

An interesting example detailing the visualization of density, specifically in this proposal they would be focusing on height ..

https://twitter.com/alfred_twu/statu...95393793572865

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 5:39 PM

Those look pretty high-style for rental units. And who would buy on leased land these days? I guess they think if it worked for the Tsawassen it will for them, but I doubt Westbank's target demographic will be as interested in that set-up.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 6:31 PM

Completely outside the viewcone, separated by a park. Shouldn't be much noise about this one... save the people dumb enough to try and ask the First Nations to consult them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Some direct pedestrian & bike connections to Burrard bridge should be part of this with that lack of parking.
That and either streetcars or a SkyTrain. No cars + no pedestrians & bikes + no transit = 50 storey suburb.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Completely outside the viewcone, separated by a park. Shouldn't be much noise about this one... save the people dumb enough to try and ask the First Nations to consult them....
If they go in with that attitude it will be a great way to set reconciliation back 20 years.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Completely outside the viewcone, separated by a park. Shouldn't be much noise about this one... save the people dumb enough to try and ask the First Nations to consult them.

That and either streetcars or a SkyTrain. No cars + no pedestrians & bikes + no transit = 50 storey suburb.

It will need something for sure. A great anchor for the streetcar I'd think.

The closest Arbutus line station will be too far away (and up hill).

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 6:47 PM

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 6:59 PM

Quote:
There was already a group from Kits Point protesting a few months ago. When they find out the proposal has doubled in size to 11 towers at 56 stories, they are going to shit their Depends.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
There was already a group from Kits Point protesting a few months ago. When they see 11 towers at 56 stories, they are going to shit their Depends.
I am currently heating the popcorn!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 7:01 PM

Yeah, well, I suspect that actual dinosaurs would be more open to change than the Vanier Park retirees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
It will need something for sure. A great anchor for the streetcar I'd think.

The closest Arbutus line station will be too far away (and up hill).
I believe the Transit Fantasy thread has a Hastings Line spur that crosses the mouth of False Creek and connects with Arbutus-Broadway station. A stop here would be good.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 7:08 PM

I sure hope this dies before anyone buys into it. This sounds like the exact same brochure that was sold to New York, Chicago, Detroit etc. Now we call them Projects.
Density is great but everything has to be in balance. We are moving so far out of balance in this city. So where would the school go? Also last FN lands are not part of the Metro District so who is going to deal with the all the services they offer. Basically they are creating a city in a city that will be privately controlled

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver