HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 5:30 PM
SD/OC

Very impressive project.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 3:58 PM
Nashville born and raised

For what it's worth, the odds makers are making Nashville the favorite....

Quote:
Online shop Bovada has released odds on which city will be chosen for Amazon HQ2, with Nashville coming in as the +800 favorite. Washington, D.C. (+1000), Atlanta (+1200), Austin (+1400), Dallas (+1400), Philadelphia (+1400), Indianapolis (+1500), Los Angeles (+1500), Montgomery County, Maryland (+1500) and Pittsburgh (+1500) round out the top 10.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
For what it's worth, the odds makers are making Nashville the favorite....

What kind of information do the odds makers use?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville View Post
What kind of information do the odds makers use?
They generally try to gauge the opinions of the betters so they can set odds that distributes the money evenly. Their clientele must feel inclined to place money on Nashville for some reason. I saw another post somewhere else that had the odds for Nashville considerably less favorable.

In the end, the only list that matters is Amazon's final choice.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 3:48 AM

I am not sure what services Amazon is looking to provide with it's second headquarters, but if it is less logistical and more music, medical and ancillary services, then Nashville would be almost perfect.

A few details that are already taken care of....

Checking all the boxes:

Yes, about the transit...

And about the airport: Flights;

Seattle: Alaska and Delta
New York: American (JFK and LGA), Delta (JFK and LGA), Southwest (LGA), United (EWR)
San Francisco: Alaska (SFO), Southwest (OAK), United (SFO)
Washington: American (DCA), Southwest (BWI and DCA), United (IAD)

BNA is a larger airport than several others in the top 20; Austin, Columbus, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, and Raleigh all have smaller airports than BNA. Nashville will have a direct flight to London, five days a week, starting soon.

One shovel ready development that will meet all Amazon requirements for a campus.

And another location suggestion from the Chamber of Commerce; NOT AN OFFICIAL RENDERING!!

Again I would submit that if the HQ2 is to manage and grow ancillary business interests other than the distribution network, then Nashville is as serious a candidate as any.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 3:09 PM

Amazon in River North

IMO River North is a pipedream of a pipedream. A far better bet for the city would be the vast car dealerships on both sides of Broadway and including Lake Palmer all the way over to Church Street. About 10 city square blocks of prominent real estate vastly underdeveloped.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 10:25 PM

In other news, Vanderbilt University has announced details regarding it's latest expansion. From the TENNESSEAN...

Quote:
Vanderbilt University will announces that it will continue with renovations that will reshape the West End side of its campus with new residence halls. Officials estimate the renovation could cost an estimated $600 million......

.....The view of Vanderbilt University from West End Avenue will soon receive a facelift — at a cost of an estimated $600 million.
The brown brick Carmichael Towers will be demolished. In their place, new living space will be built that university officials believe will better reflect the school's character.

"The towers are so ugly. There are many jokes that they were built by the Soviet Union," said Chancellor Nicholas Zeppos. "When people drive down West End, they say 'wow, there is Vanderbilt.' But it is troubling."
There will be four new 'campuses within campuses' built along the West End Avenue side of the University, indeed announcing to motorists and visitors on Nashville's busiest street that there is a Vanderbilt and it is impressive. At $600,000 million dollars, Vanderbilt is claiming that this will be Nashville's biggest capital project to-date.

The project will join the completed (two years ago) Kissam Academic Building on West End at 21st.

And the under construction E. Bronson Ingram building.

These two will be joined by the three part recently proposed project at the western part of the West End Avenue frontage.

...as built on this schedule...

This is a massive project for Nashville's primary university and the City's Midtown district, increasing urban density significantly. It looks like construction may begin soon as fencing is up and demolition on smaller buildings has begun. I wouldn't expect the demolition of Carmichael Towers to begin until the school year has ended.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 5:58 PM

The Vanderbilt build-out will start at 25th and West End later this year and then move east toward Carmichael towers. The university will continue to use the towers after construction begins on the first phase. When the first complex is completed, it will provide housing lost to demolition of the two western towers (3&4). That's why there's a greater lag period between Phases 1 & 2. Then construction on Phase 2 will start (three years from now) and be complete in 2022. At some point during the construction of that complex, demolition of the two eastern towers (1&2) will occur and construction of the third complex will begin a year after Phase 2 starts (four years from now).

At the same time, the university will proceed with a complete revision of the street grid where Greek Row exists now. Plans call for a park where Kensington and portions of 24th are today. Student and Faculty parking will be drastically altered during this period but a new parking lot near Blakemore will be expanded with ultimate plans for two large parking structures. Everything is supposed to be completed 6 years from now.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texcitement View Post
The Vanderbilt build-out will start at 25th and West End later this year and then move east toward Carmichael towers. The university will continue to use the towers after construction begins on the first phase. When the first complex is completed, it will provide housing lost to demolition of the two western towers (3&4). That's why there's a greater lag period between Phases 1 & 2. Then construction on Phase 2 will start (three years from now) and be complete in 2022. At some point during the construction of that complex, demolition of the two eastern towers (1&2) will occur and construction of the third complex will begin a year after Phase 2 starts (four years from now).

At the same time, the university will proceed with a complete revision of the street grid where Greek Row exists now. Plans call for a park where Kensington and portions of 24th are today. Student and Faculty parking will be drastically altered during this period but a new parking lot near Blakemore will be expanded with ultimate plans for two large parking structures. Everything is supposed to be completed 6 years from now.
Thanks Tex. Good information. Vanderbilt was recently recognized as having one of the ten most beautiful 'urban' campuses in America and it's about to get better. These structures are going to impact the city's urban environment with it's density along West End and it's eye catching architecture.

I'll take this kind of development over a 50 story skyscraper anytime.

Seriously.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 1:48 AM

Construction on the massive dual brand, Embassy Suites/Hilton Curio Hotel development looks to begin soon. The lot has been cleared of equipment used to construct the newly opened Cambria Suites next door and barricades and fencing has been erected. I'm labeling it as preliminary site prep. There is no official announcement, however.

Anyway, here are some views of the beautiful project going up across from the Music City (Convention) Center.

This is going to be a grand and impressive development.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 3:11 PM

Update on Music City Center hotel development..

A few minor glitches on the card, but you get the picture. It's like trying to play whack-a-mole keeping up with Nashville development!

Stay tuned.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 5:06 PM

You missed one MidTenn. The Hyatt House on the 5th site just east of the Olmstead in the lower right corner of your photo is also now under construction.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronakim View Post
You missed one MidTenn. The Hyatt House on the 5th site just east of the Olmstead in the lower right corner of your photo is also now under construction.
Thanks!! Playing 'whack-a-mole' with all the new development.....
for example.....I just found this....

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 7:22 PM

What"s going on here?

Another site has popped up with construction fencing recently. I haven't seen anything proposed though. It is the grass triangle diagonally across from the Greyhound terminal at 5th & Lefayette. It is not Stanza which is a block to the east at 4th Avenue. Anybody know about it?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 11:22 PM

Could be the 6th Avenue South Apartments...

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 3:14 PM

Nope, though the fencing has been up for several months. The site I am curious about is a block up on 5th right next door to the old church offices of Tuck Hinton. It has been a vacant grass lot for some years and has a Metro bus stop on Lafayette. It has been recently used as parking for wrecked vehicles for a collision shop but is now fenced off.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 11:50 PM

Southwest Value Partners has released construction details for a 32 story office building in the Proposed Nashville Yards Development. They have tentatively scheduled a January, 2021 opening per the Nashville Post. The building will be located on the north side of Church Street. Nashville Yards is a 15 acre, billion dollar, mixed use development on the west side of downtown.

Some graphical details

I believe this one may challenge the 500 foot level. Maybe the Philips Corporation from the Netherlands (who have said they want their name on a tall building in Nashville) or Hankook Tire Company (who want something more prominent in Nashville than Bridgestone's building) are possible tenants. I have no firsthand information on that, though.

Office buildings are starting to top the list of projects in Nashville lately. A 26 story office is rising in the 5th+Broad project, a 32 story building will start soon in SoBro and a details regarding a 15 story building in Midtown was just revealed yesterday.

I was going to make a joke about avoiding the NUUK bumpdown. Too late.

Last edited by MidTenn1; Jan 26, 2018 at 12:27 AM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post

Office buildings are starting to top the list of projects in Nashville lately. A 26 story office is rising in the 5th+Broad project, a 32 story building will start soon in SoBro and a details regarding a 15 story building in Midtown was just revealed yesterday.

I was going to make a joke about avoiding the NUUK bumpdown. Too late.
This announcement is good news. I'm really hoping the Nashville Yards development will take off sooner rather than later and I'd love to see a tower on the north side of Church St. I would have preferred an announcement with a break ground date as opposed to a completion date. The reason being is too much can happen in a market that could turn the tide. I hope that will not be the case for Nashville. But I suspect given a 2021 opening date, this project could change based on what is built between now and the end of 2019 and the demand at that time. That's assuming it will take approximately one and half to two years to build.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post
This announcement is good news. I'm really hoping the Nashville Yards development will take off sooner rather than later and I'd love to see a tower on the north side of Church St. I would have preferred an announcement with a break ground date as opposed to a completion date. The reason being is too much can happen in a market that could turn the tide. I hope that will not be the case for Nashville. But I suspect given a 2021 opening date, this project could change based on what is built between now and the end of 2019 and the demand at that time. That's assuming it will take approximately one and half to two years to build.
This one was a surprise as it was always shown as a future project. I thought the three mid-rise buildings would be built first. But maybe they found a large tenant, or the tenant found them, and pushed the project forward.

As I stated earlier, the Dutch corporation, Philips, has a strong presence in Nashville and has stated they want to put their name on a building in a prominent location. Philips began as a lighting products company, but has now developed as a large health care products provider which will fit into Nashville's large health care industry very well.

The South Korean, Hankook Tire Company is locating their North America headquarters in Nashville. It is rumored they want to be in a more prominent location and building than the Japanese Bridgestone Tire Company, now located in a majestic 30 story building in Nashville's SoBro district. So maybe one of those two is behind the sudden change in priorities. Nashville is starting to acquire a nice collection of major corporate headquarters now.

The Church Street canyon with the Nashville Yards building in the distance (my photo shopped rendition).

And an updated (my crude photo shop, again) shot of the 'near' future skyline as we understand it will be.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 1:05 AM

A final rendering of a portion of the development of city-owned property in SoBro next to the river has been released today. This particular portion of the project will be developed by the Hensler Company out of Nashville along with the Stiles Company from Florida will be called Peabody Union.

Construction will begin after Metro Development & Housing Agency builds a large parking garage.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations