HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 5:47 AM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Quimby View Post
Again?

I Love Regina

Think Regina

Branding Regina

Tourism Regina (new marketing- more $$)

Downtown Regina (Banners, events,etc)

Action Regina

Shaping Regina

Vision for Regina

Mayor's Task Force on Regina

I Love Regina... In Bloom

There is 10, some of them are worthwhile, some are very important and some are superfluous.
Are you kidding?

You mentioned Tourism Regina and Regina BID...why don't you mention Whitmore Park Association too?

I love Regina is a campaign to get people in this city to actually think in a positive manner. At one time it was nice to come to this forum to get away from the negativity you find on the streets.

Think Regina is a one day event. Would you have preferred that they call it I Love Regina in Calgary? Would that be more suitable? Again, an event that lasted one day...

Branding Regina hasn't even begun.

I've never even heard of Action Regina and it's actually run by RREDA. Looks to be pretty small scale and out of date.

A search for Vision Regina turns up nothing.

and Regina in bloom...again...are you serious? This is a program to get shops to put flowers outside their stores. That's like trying to associate the city with wiserider.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 5:53 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
Are you kidding?

You mentioned Tourism Regina and Regina BID...why don't you mention Whitmore Park Association too?
Quote:
Because Whitmore Park gets about $3,000

I love Regina is a campaign to get people in this city to actually think in a positive manner.
As silly as that concept is.

Quote:
Think Regina is a one day event. Would you have preferred that they call it I Love Regina in Calgary? Would that be more suitable? Again, an event that lasted one day...
It's not a bad idea but it is another straw on the camel's back.

Quote:
Branding Regina hasn't even begun.
I know and it is already costing $250k a year

Quote:
I've never even heard of Action Regina and it's actually run by RREDA. Looks to be pretty small scale and out of date.
RREDA is financed by the City, partly.

Quote:
A search for Vision Regina turns up nothing.
It's a " Vision for Regina" and here you go.

Quote:
and Regina in bloom...again...are you serious? This is a program to get shops to put flowers outside their stores. That's like trying to associate the city with wiserider.
Like I said CCF, some are good, some are ok and some are stupid. IMHO

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 5:57 AM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
As silly as that concept is.

It's not a bad idea but it is another straw on the camel's back.

I know and it is already costing $250k a year

RREDA is financed by the City, partly.

It's a " Vision for Regina" and here you go.

Like I said CCF, some are good, some are ok and some are stupid. IMHO
Yes, but you are reaaally stretching by even including Regina in bloom. How much money do you think the city spends by encouraging shops to put flowers outside.

Vision for Regina is 12 sentences. How much does that cost?

Would you rather the BID didn't exist?

Or would you just prefer everything goes under the same name?

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 6:02 AM
BANNED

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Vision for Regina is 12 sentences. How much does that cost?
They spent over $100k developing it.

Quote:
Would you rather the BID didn't exist?
No but it could self finance itself greater through their mill rate.

Quote:
Or would you just prefer everything goes under the same name?
Please don't put words in my mouth. I never said that at all. I just think that this money could be spent more efficiently, meaning equal result for less cost.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 6:03 AM
Canadian Urbanite

[QUOTE=Mayor Quimby;2813823]
Quote:

They spent over $100k developing it.

No but it could self finance itself greater through their mill rate.

Please don't put words in my mouth. I never said that at all. I just think that this money could be spent more efficiently, meaning equal result for less cost.
You mention that there are some you agree with and others not so much. Which might those be?

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 6:06 AM

^Quimby - you obviously don't know Calgary...please point out what area of "planning" you think is a wreck. Is it a model for planning? For a city its size, yes. Would you suggest another?

Also, something tells me that you had expectations of what your own outcome was going to be when looking at the campaign literature. The message that was made, is in my post above.

Are you sure you can't get access to that information? That would be too bad. But as far as dropping the cost by 50% for the marketing campaigns, I'd suggest if you aren't in the marketing business, you probably wouldn't be able to make that assessment (especially without knowing the results of the current and past ones).

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 4:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post
^Quimby - you obviously don't know Calgary...please point out what area of "planning" you think is a wreck. Is it a model for planning? For a city its size, yes. Would you suggest another?

Also, something tells me that you had expectations of what your own outcome was going to be when looking at the campaign literature. The message that was made, is in my post above.

Are you sure you can't get access to that information? That would be too bad. But as far as dropping the cost by 50% for the marketing campaigns, I'd suggest if you aren't in the marketing business, you probably wouldn't be able to make that assessment (especially without knowing the results of the current and past ones).
I am glad you take pride in your city and defend it but Calgary is not a model for urban development. It is proof positive of the destruction unfettered expansion can cause. Do some research.

I am sure about getting FOI, tried doesn't exist.

However, I have alot of experience in advertising, selling paid for my university. I do know you can get an equivalent market share by spending less, if you are smart about it.

To your last point, shouldn't that assessment be done prior to starting the campaign ?

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 9:31 PM

I don't really see the point in even mentioning "Vision Regina", its just a single page on the City website which was probably thought up in a 2 hour meeting

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 10:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaGuy View Post
I don't really see the point in even mentioning "Vision Regina", its just a single page on the City website which was probably thought up in a 2 hour meeting
Because it didn't and it cost over $100k, to come up with it. Although, it probably shouldn't have taken even 2 hours, as it is a colossal waste of time.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 10:24 PM

Quote:
I am glad you take pride in your city and defend it but Calgary is not a model for urban development. It is proof positive of the destruction unfettered expansion can cause. Do some research.
Huh? Elaborate please, and again give examples of what part of Calgary's planning - to your knowledge - is poor? And then, as I mentioned, please list another city of similar size (metro area) that is doing better, yet growing even nearly as quick.

Quote:
To your last point, shouldn't that assessment be done prior to starting the campaign ?
Goals and targets should be set. A campaign should be measurable. There are follow-up measures that can be taken to verify the success. Such data such as how many attended the event, number of resumes, job hires, etc from the various companies represented at the event, etc...However, you're saying you know what these campaigns cost, but have no way of finding the results?

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 10:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Because it didn't and it cost over $100k, to come up with it. Although, it probably shouldn't have taken even 2 hours, as it is a colossal waste of time.
Source???

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 10:46 PM

Quote:
I would like to see the source for this claim too, thats a lot of money for a half-baked list of promises.

If thats true, I'll be outraged

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 10:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
Source???
2003 budget

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 11:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Huh? Elaborate please, and again give examples of what part of Calgary's planning - to your knowledge - is poor? And then, as I mentioned, please list another city of similar size (metro area) that is doing better, yet growing even nearly as quick.
Firstly, The #1 goes through downtown and a bypass should have been built when the city had 300k, Secondly, the street infrastructure and expressways are a mess. Thirdly, all the new developments are built so that they are vehicle necessary from no sidewalks, to having to drive a mile to go 100 metres, due to lack of pedestrian connections and winding bays,places,etc. The NW is a perfect example. Fourth, commercial big box stores dropped in willy-nilly, like Country Hills. To compare Calgary to another city its size and growth will take some research but suffice to say, the uncontrolled growth rate is the main culprit.

Quote:
Goals and targets should be set. A campaign should be measurable. There are follow-up measures that can be taken to verify the success. Such data such as how many attended the event, number of resumes, job hires, etc from the various companies represented at the event, etc...However, you're saying you know what these campaigns cost, but have no way of finding the results?
That's what I am saying, the reports from council never discuss more then cost and possible outcomes, no hard data is available.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 11:03 PM
Canadian Urbanite

It's hard for a city like Calgary which is experiencing massive growth rates to properly plan and finance the necessary infrastructure. I'd say they are keeping up the best they can given the time constraints.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 11:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
It's hard for a city like Calgary which is experiencing massive growth rates to properly plan and finance the necessary infrastructure. I'd say they are keeping up the best they can given the time constraints.
Saying someone did the best they could given the circumstances is fine, but not if they can control the circumstances. The city could have slowed growth via many options, they didn't and are paying the price.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 11:12 PM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Saying someone did the best they could given the circumstances is fine, but not if they can control the circumstances. The city could have slowed growth via many options, they didn't and are paying the price.
Slow the growth? Can't really prevent internal migration. If Newfoundland wants to move to Calgary, not much can be done to stop it.

Unless you are referring to the city's built environment. Which again, not much could have been done with such a quick growth in population. People need housing...why would you prevent such a thing?

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 11:16 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
It is true that Calgary is growing at unsustainable levels these days, but this was not always the way. Infact there has been significant periods of time where the city was going nowhere, but still didn't put much planning into the city. The city has large areas from the 80's which have a very simlar makeup of the newer area's of today. Low density as far as the eye can see... subdivisions made up of cookie cutter houses ... and very very few thoroughfares which are lined with density outside the city centre. To be honest the lack of city planning has left Calgary in a huge mess .. for a midsized city of only 1 mllion it has the traffic, and infrastructure problems of a city 5 times its size with mediocre planning. If you look at the city outside the downtown and surrounding innercity neighbourhoods its a barren land of box stores and low quality stucko buildings.

From my vantage point at my office it is obvious there is very little density once you leave the inner city.

Last edited by newflyer; May 4, 2007 at 11:25 PM.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 11:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Slow the growth? Can't really prevent internal migration. If Newfoundland wants to move to Calgary, not much can be done to stop it.

Unless you are referring to the city's built environment. Which again, not much could have been done with such a quick growth in population. People need housing...why would you prevent such a thing?
Because it causes greater issues and costs in the long run. Lots could have been done, increase the cost of permits, slow the approval process, tighten development regulations and zoning. You don't want or need an economy that grows to fast that is almost as bad as one that is in recession,maybe worse.

It may seem counterintuitive to some but Calgary actually should have made it less attractive to live there but now the market will correct with some losing millions.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 11:21 PM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Because it causes greater issues and costs in the long run. Lots could have been done, increase the cost of permits, slow the approval process, tighten development regulations and zoning. You don't want or need an economy that grows to fast that is almost as bad as one that is in recession,maybe worse.

It may seem counterintuitive to some but Calgary actually should have made it less attractive to live there but now the market will correct with some losing millions.
Well I don't really believe that's the best approach. You shouldn't limit the growth of a city. There are some negatives to growth, but there are certainly many positives as well.

It's obvious they should have put more emphasis on planning for the future though. Perhaps that would have helped.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan