HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

View Poll Results: Which DSLR do you think is right for Matty?
Canon XS! 0 0%
Canon XSi! 4 36.36%
Nikon D60! 4 36.36%
Other! (Please specify) 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jul 2, 2009, 1:14 AM

Starter DSLR -- Help me choose?

So, my trusty Canon S3 has served me well -- but it's time to get my first DSLR!

However, I AM on a budget. 550 to 600 is my ideal range, for body and kit lens. I simply can't afford much more than that.

I've more or less narrowed it down to the Canon xs (or xsi, but I think it's not worth the extra ~150), or the Nikon D60. But honestly, I can't decide. Ergonomically, I think I like the Canon better. But to be honest, not having owned a DSLR before, I'm a little inundated.

I'm interested in architectural and street photography, noise at higher ISOs is something I def. want at a minimum (I have friends who perform/play music and it would be nice to be able to take good, quality shots in low light conditions), people and portrait photography.

Any advice?

LINKS:

Canon XS:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...XS_a_k_a_.html

The Canon XSi:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Si_a_k_a_.html

Nikon D60:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html

He has a Flickr!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40336730@N08/

Old Posted Jul 2, 2009, 1:25 AM
arf

If it is fitting in your hands more comfortably go with the Canon. Using a camera that just feels wrong is not something I would suggest. Both Canon and Nikon have some very decent lens options for down the road. Try and scrounge up a bit of extra budget for a better than crappy build-quality kit lens to start. Maybe Canon's are better for that but the build of my skimp Nikon kit lens leaves a lot to be desired.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 2, 2009, 1:32 AM

^ I was thinking the same thing, but it's not as though the Nikon and the Canon are worlds apart in terms of feel. I find the Canon just a bit better than the Nikon.

A lens upgrade is possible, but not right away. A month or two. From some of the reviews I've read, the build of the starter lens for the Canon seems to be OK.

He has a Flickr!

Old Posted Jul 2, 2009, 1:56 AM
International

XS + Tamro 17-50mm f/2.8

Old Posted Jul 2, 2009, 3:16 AM

Canon and Nikon are definitely the best for beginners, I'll tell you that, so you got the right companies.

But, I was in the same shoes as you 3 months ago, looking for my first dSLR.

What did I end up choosing? The Nikon D40. Depending where you are, you may only be able to get the D40x.

Regardless...here's why

-It's cheap. Really, you can't get a dSLR for 499 dollars, except this one.

-It gives you most of the things you want in a dSLR, at a fraction of the cost. Really, something like the D80 won't give you that much more than the D40.

-It's still as stylish as the Nikon D90 or the Canon Mark II (?).

-It's smaller. You're used to the point and shoots, which are smaller, this is a good inbetweener, I guess. Not as big as the other cams, but bigger than pns's, so yeah. And it's easier to carry around.

-It is very helpful, with the small things. I know what f stops, shutter speeds, and the mechanics of it all are and how they happen to work now, but not starting out. There is a little graphic in the lcd where it will show you how the lens is, like the aperture and shutter speed. It really gives you a visual.

-It's easy for beginners, but still gives you that professional edge when you get better.

The only thing I'd recomend is look at other lenses. Of course start with the kit lens, but it, like pretty much any kit, is lowER quality, so definitely look into primes, telephotos, fish eyes, wide angles, macros, etc.

Hope that i had helped you, and if you have any questions I'll try to answer them !

Old Posted Jul 2, 2009, 3:32 AM

^ agreed, especially if you're considering the D60. I don't know that there's much difference between the two, except that the D40 is cheaper.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2009, 3:44 AM
Watchin em grow

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
^ agreed, especially if you're considering the D60. I don't know that there's much difference between the two, except that the D40 is cheaper.
The d60 has a dust removal system, is 10.2 compared to 6 MP and has a few other features. It also goe to iso100 where the d40 only goes to 200. But the d40 has better flash synchro speed.

A good recommendation is to get the d40 body and pair it with the AF-S 18-55 DX VR lens that comes with the d60 as it has the vibration reduction.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2009, 3:47 AM
Watchin em grow

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
There are some differences. They were already explained, but not that significant. I have a D40, and my next upgrade...if I stay with Nikon wouldn't even be a D60, D80, D90, or D300. When you start really seeing a lot of differences is with the full frames. So that'd be the D700, D3, and D3x...but by the time I'm done with the D40 there will probably be something else...maybe cheaper.

People always rave over high megapixels, but 10 or 12 mp's do not necessarily equal high quality. It's moreso what you do with what you got, the only time megapixels become an issue is if you're blowing up an image to a really enormous size.

Like alps says...to the original poster...if you're looking into the d60...save a few hundred and go for the d40 or d40x.

People sometimes look down on it cause it's the bottom of the SLR market I guess...but I think people who are interested in photography (not those who just go out and get a d40 to be using auto the full way) and get a d40 instead of going for the d90 are smart, as you're really getting a bang for your buck. And you can still produce the same high quality results as the D300. But don't stick with the kit lens, look at a 18-250mm or a prime lens, you'll probably get even higher quality photos. I've heard people use the d40 up until they go into the professional business...and the only reason why they ditched it is because they needed to be able to make their pictures big. I think the key is instead of giving into your temptations of going for a new more expensive SLR, to keep the d40...and push for higher quality photos...really give the camera a work out...you'll learn more and get better rather than just relying on the 'latest model'.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 9:37 PM
International

If you're serious about photography, go for a used D80 or 40D. Seriously, you're going to grow out of the entry-level cameras sooner or later.

And why do people keep recommending the d40? That camera is a friggin toy. At least the prosumer/advanced amateur cameras feel and respond like a real camera. The d40 doesn't even focus with some lenses, not to mention that by now the d40 is, uh, rather obsolete. And it only goes to iso200? You must be kidding, right?!

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 10:07 PM

^Wow...

That's rather insulting.

ISO 200 does just fine, I don't think there's much difference between 100 and 200, or at least I had not noticed.

The d40 is to help people comfortable enter the SLR market, and for some people who want to get into professional photography, that's all they can afford.

It can't even focus with some lenses? That's a little dramatic. All AF-S lenses by Nikon focus perfectly fine, the AF ones work too, but only in Manual. Personally I could care less, as I just use manual all the time anyways. And actually the AF-S ones are the newer ones out there, unlike the D90, etc. which use a AF.

The d40 is a pretty decent little camera actually. You yourself noted the improve in quality of my photos. You can still produce the same amazing photos that you would with a D40x, D50, D60, D70, D80, D90, and similar. It's also a lot easier to learn for beginners, but you can still easily go to more complicated things.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2009, 12:53 AM
Skyriser

I still carry around my 300D which is hackably upgradable to a 10D. ISO 100 - 3200 and mirror prefire. You can get it on ebay for $250.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2009, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonenthusiast View Post
^Wow...

That's rather insulting.

ISO 200 does just fine, I don't think there's much difference between 100 and 200, or at least I had not noticed.

The d40 is to help people comfortable enter the SLR market, and for some people who want to get into professional photography, that's all they can afford.

It can't even focus with some lenses? That's a little dramatic. All AF-S lenses by Nikon focus perfectly fine, the AF ones work too, but only in Manual. Personally I could care less, as I just use manual all the time anyways. And actually the AF-S ones are the newer ones out there, unlike the D90, etc. which use a AF.

The d40 is a pretty decent little camera actually. You yourself noted the improve in quality of my photos. You can still produce the same amazing photos that you would with a D40x, D50, D60, D70, D80, D90, and similar. It's also a lot easier to learn for beginners, but you can still easily go to more complicated things.
^ Honestly, I just don't want to buy the d40. It's the same camera my friend has been using for a while now, and I feel like I'd be buying something that's old (as in, I've been exposed to this for a while) and isn't total break from the camera I'm currently using. What was the point of all the waiting and saving if I went out to buy something I really feel that I don't want? I want to hold something in my hands that is an improvement over anything I've used so far. Superficial, probably. But I'm not going after another camera because it's "the latest thing" or because I think MP mean everything.

Though the prospect of having some extra money for a wide angle prime lens sounds nice.

In the last day or so I've been leaning towards the d60. Maybe I should give more thought to the d40, but I'm really wary of it.

Thanks for all of your advice, guys.

He has a Flickr!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2009, 8:51 PM

^That's fine. That comment was directed at Kingofthehill moreso.

I don't think I ever saw a bad review of the d40...so definitely look into it. The d40 was a big change from what I'm used to, but now I can probably get the same quality as the dude with the d60 or d90. But seriously the d60 is nice...I tried it...good luck with figuring everything out .

Old Posted Jul 4, 2009, 10:30 PM

Yeah, I'm leaning more towards the d60 again. I wouldn't save that much, and if I can afford a slightly better camera, why not? But I'm not 100% set on the d60 and will consider the d40 (until I've got one of them in my hands, which will be Monday!).

Thanks guys!

He has a Flickr!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2009, 10:34 PM

Definitely do a lot of research on reviews...they helped me a lot. Make sure you look around at a lot of stores to see maybe one has 50 dollars or 10 dollars off or something. And you could use the money you would have to get a d90 to get a telephoto, fixed lens, or save up for something else!

Old Posted Jul 5, 2009, 12:00 AM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

You do notice a difference between ISO 100 and 200, I'm quite surprised there's even a D-SLR out there that doesn't do ISO 100. I'd say go with the D60 if you're going Nikon.

Also if you're getting an entry level, I don't see the point in buying an obsolete camera that you likely cannot find in new, in-box condition.

Flickr®

Old Posted Jul 5, 2009, 12:06 AM

^the d40 is still for sale in a bunch of places. the d40x is still around too. besides just because something isn't for sale doesn't mean it's no good. take for example the d80.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2009, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

I'm not saying it's no good. I'm saying you're better off spending your money on a better product than saving a few bucks to get an inferior one when it comes to entry level dSLRs.

As an example, right now I'm trying to see if there's a Canon 5D (Mark I) available for a good price given that the 5D Mark II's are out and well outside what I want to pay. This would be a good upgrade, but if you're doing an entry level DSLR, what's the point?

Flickr®

Old Posted Jul 5, 2009, 4:06 AM
Red October standing by

you really do need to go with what feels right with you. play with it at the store. go through all the settings. read up reviews and tests.

isn't nikon supposed to be a lot better than cannon as far as lense compatibility?

-

-fflint

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography