HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
I think it will keep going as long as the economy holds, slow down on the next recession and then gain momentum again. Tempe is landlocked and really nowhere it can build except up. The only problem is, Tempe won't get any towers over the height of W6 for a long time if ever. But I am perfectly fine with that as long as Tempe keeps adding another dozen or so towers around 250'.
I've never really thought about how Tempe is landlocked, but now that you mention that, it is very true with Scottsdale to the north, Mesa to the east, PHX to the west and Chandler to the south.

RE height: I'm still, to this day, baffled at how low the planes fly near Tempe as well as DTPHX with all the buildings. It seems most flight paths line up mainly over Tempe Town Lake and as far south as University Dr (in terms of most flights I've observed) so I would assume if we were to see something taller than 300' it would be somewhere on Apache, no further east than McClintock is my guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Yeah it's pretty great. Union, Mirabella and Oliv make a big difference. It used to be that West 6th stuck out and was sort of a skyline unto itself. Now like you say Tempe has its own mini-skyline, with Westin and 100 Mill about to add to it and several others potentially adding as well.

In the next 2-5 years, of the buildings either in the early stages of construction or not yet under construction, the ones I think could add to a "skyline" are 100 Mill, Westin, Omni and 707 Forest. Depending on how much the city builds and the angle, other skyline projects might include The Pier and Skyview. There are lots of other shorter projects--e.g. the 6th/College hotel, Hilo, Farmer Arts, Novus projects, Apache student housing projects, etc.--that I don't think will really add to a "skyline."

I doubt anything that is not currently proposed could be adding to the skyline in 2 years, but on a 5 year timeline, you could potentially see tall projects at the 3rd/Ash parking lot, the Newman center, the First Congregational Church, NEC of Rio Salado/Ash (by Tempe Beach Park), various places in the Novus Corridor, various sites on the south side of the lake, a latter phase building in the Watermark development, etc.

I am not going to pretend to be able to prognosticate economic fluctuations that obviously will affect development. But on current trends of (1) employers wanting to be in Tempe to be near the lake, airport and university, (2) renewed interest in urban (or urban-ish) living, (3) massive domestic migration to Phoenix-metro, (4) a city council generally supportive of increased urbanization/density (at least in the core), and (5) ASU aggressively building out the Novus corridor as a means of generating revenue, signs point to a lot of those projects being built and the skyline continuing to grow.
Tempe really is on fire with the aspect of selling itself with the 5 key points you mentioned. If they get the streetcar down to Tempe Marketplace and around the Novus corridor they're building, there truly will be no reason to have a car if you're within a reasonable distance of the streetcar. Now if someone could tell Scottsdale to get with it and get lightrail going up Rural - Scottsdale Rd... then you really wouldn't need to to drive much living in Tempe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
They should level A Mountain so those towers can be seen. It would also open up room for more towers. In all honesty, it prevents what has been a Tempe skyline with what has been built on the north side of it.

The Newman Center had a partnership to build a religious-oriented student housing tower. I wouldn't be surprised if that renewed either this cycle or the next.

W6 will forever be the tallest building in Tempe, the height limit is 300' to parapet which was devised after it.

And yes, Tempe has no choice to go but up--their budget depends on it. The state-shared revenue formula sends more money to cities that are growing more. This is the exact opposite of California where cities have no financial incentive to build housing and results in the high cost of living there--not enough supply.
I'm assuming leveling A mountain is a banter lol but I don't know... I feel like A mountain is a part of the skyline even though everything is oddly built around it, it just adds that extra oomph to the area. Although I do agree the skyline would be more dense looking with Marina Heights being able to blend seamlessly into the canyon forming on University.

RE Height again: I also don't mind the height limit as I can easily see Tempe having sort of that Vancouver effect with skyscrapers just willy nilly everywhere; an urban forest of similar heights from the lake all the way across and that to me looks cooler than a progressing skyline of midrises and clear business district with taller to tallest buildings.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 8:19 PM
Skyriser

San José, Vegas, and San Diego are all height-restricted by their nearby airports. San José is the shortest at 250' and many buildings reach it, and they just raised limits for the Google expansion which will create quite the odd effect. I wonder if Tempe will do the same as the skyline expands east.

Last edited by combusean; Oct 15, 2019 at 8:41 PM.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 9:21 PM
Modulator

Quote:
San José, Vegas, and San Diego are all height-restricted by their nearby airports. San José is the shortest at 250' and many buildings reach it, and they just raised limits for the Google expansion which will create quite the odd effect. I wonder if Tempe will do the same as the skyline expands east.
Just move the airports!

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 9:30 PM
Skyriser

^ That airport located where it is core to the success of Phoenix's economy. An executive can fly out, visit their Phoenix/Tempe office, and fly back in a day. It's why a lot of Bay Area companies have their backoffices in the Phoenix area.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 9:45 PM
Modulator

Quote:
^ That airport located where it is core to the success of Phoenix's economy. An executive can fly out, visit their Phoenix/Tempe office, and fly back in a day. It's why a lot of Bay Area companies have their backoffices in the Phoenix area.
My comment was meant to be a joke

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 10:03 PM
Skyriser

I see that now!

Moving the airport to Casa Grande was seriously debated back in the day however. I can't help but wonder what Phoenix and Casa Grande would look like had they done that.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 10:14 PM
Modulator

Quote:
I see that now!

Moving the airport to Casa Grande was seriously debated back in the day however. I can't help but wonder what Phoenix and Casa Grande would look like had they done that.
Yea, that would not have been pretty. That was Sal that was pushing for that, wasn't it?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 10:51 PM
Skyriser

Someone posted drawings from a plan in the 1980s on this forum years ago but I doubt it's still up.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Someone posted drawings from a plan in the 1980s on this forum years ago but I doubt it's still up.
You got me curious about some of the earlier postings on this forum so I went to the first page and you’ve been posting since 2006. You probably have many stories to tell.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 6:23 PM

After the recession, valley office construction moved east, report says

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 6:24 PM
Skyriser

The airport was proposed for Coolidge, not Casa Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB1 View Post
You got me curious about some of the earlier postings on this forum so I went to the first page and you’ve been posting since 2006. You probably have many stories to tell.
My join date is December 2004, so coming up on 15 years I've been here.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 8:07 PM

In development news...the high rise package is available to view on the Tempe site for the high rise on Forest and 7th...yes same design as just posted earlier. It's nice but reminds me of the Collective/ OLIV too much, well see how it looks once built.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 8:09 PM

Also it appears that the lowrise Centerpoint Office buildings that house Chase is going to be re-cladded, not sure if any renderings are out yet?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 8:58 PM

New renderings out for the Apollo Tempe project. Looks very nice, that rooftop amenity deck looks to be the best in the city so far.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 9:59 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RE View Post
Heck yea!

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 7:44 PM

Oliv Tempe

I’m not sure if this has been posted already, but here are additional renderings of Oliv Tempe on the architects website:
https://www.antunovich.com/projects/...use/oliv-tempe

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 3:09 PM

777 Novus Tops Out.

https://www.orionprop.com/topfive/ph...ding-tops-off/

Ryan Cos. US and University Realty have topped off 777 Tower at Novus, a 160,000-square-foot office building under construction on the Arizona State University campus in Tempe, Ariz. The developers completed the building structure, concrete work and dry utilities, while the metal panel installation and interior lobby works are scheduled to begin next month. The development broke ground in May and is slated for completion in June 2020.

Located at the southwest intersection of S. Rural Road and Sixth Street, the 2.8-acre site is part of the Novus Innovation Corridor, the 330-acre multi-phased development underway in the heart of Greater Phoenix. The six-story building will sit less than 1 mile west of downtown Tempe, across the street from the Cornerstone Shopping Mall. The property is also close to the Rural Road light rail station, Red Mountain Freeway and State Route 101, with Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport roughly 6 miles west.

Designed by local architect DAVIS, 777 Tower at Novus is the first of three office buildings planned for Novus Innovation Corridor. The L-shaped facility will feature penthouse office spaces, about 8,000 square feet of retail on the first floor and more than 800 parking spots. The buildings will be connected through a central plaza for events. Tenants will be within walking distance of numerous dining options and sports venues, as well as other amenities that will be created inside the Innovation Corridor.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 2:38 AM

X seems to move quickly! There weren’t really any renderings are PR until a few months before construction in Phoenix. I’m pretty certain Tempe is getting one... and quickly!

Any update on 100 Mill? At 18-stories I would absolutely love to see that go up so close to the Lake/Park.

What about The Pier? Is it above ground yet?

Will be interesting to see if the street car fuels any additional development in Tempe.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
X seems to move quickly! There weren’t really any renderings are PR until a few months before construction in Phoenix. I’m pretty certain Tempe is getting one... and quickly!

Any update on 100 Mill? At 18-stories I would absolutely love to see that go up so close to the Lake/Park.

What about The Pier? Is it above ground yet?

Will be interesting to see if the street car fuels any additional development in Tempe.
I haven’t seen the Pier above ground from the 202. Maybe it looks above ground when you are right in front of it.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB1 View Post
I haven’t seen the Pier above ground from the 202. Maybe it looks above ground when you are right in front of it.
Yeah, the elevator core and the tippy tops of the columns are above ground, but only just.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest