HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
The Trax line needs to be embed in concrete. also i love all the highrises that could pop up along north temple. what a gateway this will be to our city.
What is being envisioned by city planners and leaders? I would be hesitant to embrace anything that is above mid-rise buildings on North Temple. What streets around the country would people like NT to gain its inspiration from?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 1:38 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeST View Post
What is being envisioned by city planners and leaders? I would be hesitant to embrace anything that is above mid-rise buildings on North Temple. What streets around the country would people like NT to gain its inspiration from?
There aren't any high-rises planned. There is a rendering that shows some along north temple for what they "envision," but that's about it.

And I can't find it... so if anybody wants to help out.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 3:29 AM

Someone posted them as a link on the last page, here are the renderings:

Please pay careful attention to how completely stupid it looks to have ballast track in the middle of the city:

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 1:08 PM

!!UDOT moves forward on Mountain View Corridor!!

http://deseretnews.com/article/70529...-corridor.html

With permission from the Legislature to bond for $500 million when ground is broken for the Mountain View Corridor in western Salt Lake County, the Utah Department of Transportation is preparing to ensure construction starts next year.

Currently, UDOT is purchasing land for the road, which will run between Redwood Road north of Camp Williams to I-80, roughly between 5000 West and 5800 West. Most of the land is private and not occupied...

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 1:21 PM

FrontRunner stop gets lots of discussion

http://deseretnews.com/article/70529...esistance.html

Some environmentalists are determined to stop the Utah Transit Authority from considering a FrontRunner commuter rail stop in southern Salt Lake County on what they consider sensitive Jordan River ecology and the site of a 3,000-year-old Native American settlement, even though Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr. signed a bill last week that could pave the way for the station...

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 1:33 PM

SLC Council considers aesthetics of North Temple TRAX line - Rock vs. concrete » West-siders don't want cheaper design than other routes.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_11979349

West-siders worry Salt Lake City will sell them short by saving money with what they consider an ugly rock bed for the North Temple TRAX line rather than the concrete-imbedded tracks found along other city light-rail routes.

Officials are divided over what's better: to spend millions on that concrete down the center of the street or to steer it instead toward roadside improvements meant to spruce up the city portal as a "Grand Boulevard." ...

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 2:55 PM

I was playing around with the photo stitching tool in Windows Live Photo Gallery and some photos I took from my mobile phone while waiting for the train on my way home last night. For pictures taken from a 2 megapixel phone and software that is free, the results weren't as bad as I'd though they might be, though the TRAX train was leaving as I took the individual photos, so it looks a little weird:

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 3:25 PM

Ark, I hadn't visited the general transportation thread for a while, over on the SkyscaperPage Forum. Who the heck is this character "Drew Chamberlain"...???? You and a few others had some excellent, and even comical responses. I just don't get the one dimensional world that some people seem to live in.

If any of you guys want to be stuptified or just have a good laugh, and maybe take a minute to put in your two bits, go over to this page:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=150074&page=7

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Ark, I hadn't visited the general transportation thread for a while, over on the SkyscaperPage Forum. Who the heck is this character "Drew Chamberlain"...???? You and a few others had some excellent, and even comical responses. I just don't get the one dimensional world that some people seem to live in.

If any of you guys want to be stuptified or just have a good laugh, and maybe take a minute to put in your two bits, go over to this page:

This joker has been a staple of the local newspapers readers forum. I have met people just like him, who are so invested in their opinion and there opposition to mass transit, that they are impervious to changing their position. I appreciate a new point of view, even if radically different than most of those in this forum, but trying to convince him is pointless.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 3:55 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I think one of my favorite comments from somebody like this guy was in relation to the University Trax line up 400 S. This individual made a big fuss about tax money being spent on this Trax line and how Trax would never have the ability to pay for itself. I wish I could have talked to the person and ask him or her how exactly 400 S as a street, which was built with tax money as well, goes about paying for itself. Does 400 S the street have a side job that pays for itself? At least Trax recoups a portion of the money that was used to build it, while 400 S doesn't recoup anything.

Some people are so narrow minded and stubborn.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 8:22 PM
Closed account

With the airpot TRAX line under construction, I was wondering if the upgrades to the airport were going to start soon? I've been hearing about it for a long time now and haven't seen much done. This map (http://www.rideuta.com/images/airport1.jpg) has it ending just outside of the long-term parking lot, which would mean you have to shuttle (or walk) to the terminals. I'd think having a station go right up to the terminal would be the better choice.

(I also didn't realize it until now, but I just had my 1st birthday on this forum on the 12th)

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 9:05 PM

Quote:

Heh, all I know is that I'll be sure to stray away from "Liberty Auto" if I'm ever in the used car market... just don't have the guts

Maybe it's just because I'm quite a bit younger, but I don't know.. talking to some guy who I've never met before, but who obviously seems like a cooc, over the phone about his opinions (wait.. isn't that why he keeps giving out his phone number?) just seems strange.

Maybe I'd feel more compelled to spread self-absorbed propaganda if I were actually in the used car business, but as someone who is a car driver, fanatic, and avid enthusiast (I seriously considered and may still pursue a career in auto design), I have nothing against public transport. I only care about what is most logically beneficial for the society... you can't expect the American dream to revolve around yourself.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 9:36 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroFanatic View Post
With the airpot TRAX line under construction, I was wondering if the upgrades to the airport were going to start soon? I've been hearing about it for a long time now and haven't seen much done. This map (http://www.rideuta.com/images/airport1.jpg) has it ending just outside of the long-term parking lot, which would mean you have to shuttle (or walk) to the terminals. I'd think having a station go right up to the terminal would be the better choice.

(I also didn't realize it until now, but I just had my 1st birthday on this forum on the 12th)
Post #1526, just a few posts up shows that the alignment shown in your map will be the final alignment with the new terminal but it looks as if there will be an interim alignment until the new airport is finished.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
Post #1526, just a few posts up shows that the alignment shown in your map will be the final alignment with the new terminal but it looks as if there will be an interim alignment until the new airport is finished.
That image is old. The line terminates at the south side of Terminal 1 near the Jet Blue ticket counter. it is indicated as an option in the tribune image, but it is in fact the route. Also, the route in the 215 area is also finalized and is currently under construction. I would imagine that when, and if, the airport is modified, the line would simply be extended to the new terminal or to some sort of people mover.

This kind of thing is why I can't stand the tribune. They do virtually no research. I was contacted by a reporter once, who left me a voicemail when I was out of town. While gone, and without ever talking to the reporter, I was quoted. Nice work.

Last edited by cololi; Mar 24, 2009 at 10:30 PM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 11:37 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
I think one of my favorite comments from somebody like this guy was in relation to the University Trax line up 400 S. This individual made a big fuss about tax money being spent on this Trax line and how Trax would never have the ability to pay for itself. I wish I could have talked to the person and ask him or her how exactly 400 S as a street, which was built with tax money as well, goes about paying for itself. Does 400 S the street have a side job that pays for itself? At least Trax recoups a portion of the money that was used to build it, while 400 S doesn't recoup anything.

Some people are so narrow minded and stubborn.
Future Mayor, I think he is referring to the fact that roads are paid for by the gas tax and therefore it is a user tax and in that way pays for itself. That is the argument on the other side of the mass transit debate. People feel that each system should pay for itself, which TRAX could never do. It is looked at as waste of money because it is being subsidized by sales tax, which has nothing to do with how much someone uses a train or bus.

The problem with the argument is twofold.

1. Cars are heavily subsidized. We subsidize them through the tax code and regulatory code. The gas tax would have to be raised dramatically (federal and state) in order to actually "pay" for the roads. Further, we sunk billions into the interstate road system that was never repaid by a gas tax or any other user fee. This amounts to a huge jump start and advantage to the automobile. We also give advantages to the car through the regulatory code by requiring things like minimum amounts of parking stalls etc.

2. As a city gets bigger and more crowded, freeway systems get much more expensive to build and expand, so if a mass transit system is targeted and efficiently installed it should be viewed as part of one transit system that at least helps lower peak demand on the whole system.

I doubt Drew would be in favor of raising the gas tax dramatically or putting in some sort of congestion pricing model. I also doubt he would like the idea of charging drivers for the luxury of emitting things like sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxide into the air. Oh Drew, you knuckle head!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 3:09 AM
BANNED

Quote:

With permission from the Legislature to bond for $500 million when ground is broken for the Mountain View Corridor in western Salt Lake County, the Utah Department of Transportation is preparing to ensure construction starts next year.

Currently, UDOT is purchasing land for the road, which will run between Redwood Road north of Camp Williams to I-80, roughly between 5000 West and 5800 West. Most of the land is private and not occupied...

$500 million?!

I think UTA is getting the short end of the stick! These new TRAX tracks should be imbedded in concrete.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 4:31 AM

Different kind of train coming to TRAX
There is a story on KSL.com about the new Siemens light rail cars that UTA has on order. The story reads as if written to middle school students, and the commentary is so childish that I wanted to beat my head against the wall, but its KSL, so that's what you get. Anyway, nice to at least see a rendering of the new trains in UTA's colors:

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 4:52 AM

Quote:

Yay!!!!!

As much as I love and fully, whole-heartedly support mass transit, I do support this freeway. Living out here is very difficult as far as driving goes. There is no way to get to SLC without going through hecka lights. I can go through about 15 lights and get on the Redwood entrance to the 215, or I can take Bangetter north and go through about the same number of lights. Either way, it sucks. Getting a freeway out here will cut commute times to SLC easily in half!

Btw, I have noticed a large dirt mound off of New Bingham by 90th South. I understand that there will be an overpass and on/off ramps here. Do you think this massive dirt mound will soon support this overpass? The way it has been shaped perfectly suggests that it will soon hold up a freeway overpass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeST View Post
This joker has been a staple of the local newspapers readers forum. I have met people just like him, who are so invested in their opinion and there opposition to mass transit, that they are impervious to changing their position. I appreciate a new point of view, even if radically different than most of those in this forum, but trying to convince him is pointless.
Well, heck, I find a differing point of view refreshing. However, that view must be valid and be supported by logic/facts. He is flat out lying - distorting at best. Then he points out stupid little details to support his opinion - "there are no foot prints in the snow on that platform!" Well, the sad truth is, he is right - only because there is no snow to have prints in it on the platform to begin with! Oh well, just let him vent is frustrations. You have to feel sorry for the guy, his entire career field is dissolving beneath him. It's sinking beneath the iron-might of the rail. He deserves our pity.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
Different kind of train coming to TRAX
There is a story on KSL.com about the new Siemens light rail cars that UTA has on order. The story reads as if written to middle school students, and the commentary is so childish that I wanted to beat my head against the wall, but its KSL, so that's what you get. Anyway, nice to at least see a rendering of the new trains in UTA's colors:

Omg, I didn't notice that before, but I see what you mean:

"The seating arrangement will change too. No more facing each other or facing one way. All of the seats will be along the sides on both sides of the train. "

Then you won't be tempted to play with Sally's hair....

I just hope the inside doesn't look like that! I don't like the red seats it shows in the story - I hope they keep them blue.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 5:06 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_logic View Post
Yay!!!!!

As much as I love and fully, whole-heartedly support mass transit, I do support this freeway. Living out here is very difficult as far as driving goes. There is no way to get to SLC without going through hecka lights. I can go through about 15 lights and get on the Redwood entrance to the 215, or I can take Bangetter north and go through about the same number of lights. Either way, it sucks.
Why do you live out there then? Why not move downtown?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West