HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 4:38 AM
SkyTrain Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Presumably for this...
I have not been that active in this. Can someone please tell me if that concept was ever changed. I still think it's boring.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 5:52 AM

I don't think it was changed.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 10:11 PM

That building their replacing the rotunda with is dull and doesn't fit the space will. At least have something facing howe st.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 1:38 AM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbeaulieu View Post
That building their replacing the rotunda with is dull and doesn't fit the space will. At least have something facing howe st.
Welcome to Vancouver, Dull and doesn't fit.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 1:14 AM

EDIT - the fence could just be to erect a Christmas tree.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 1:26 AM

Hate it, the rotunda as dated as it is has a far stronger sense of place and much more character.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 6:19 AM

Quote:
Correct.

Quote:
CF Pacific Centre Christmas Tree Lighting
Where: CF Pacific Centre rotunda off Georgia and Howe Streets
When: Wednesday, November 22, 2017 from 5:30pm to 7:00pm
Details: A 40-foot tree situated outside the rotunda will serve as the backdrop for a memorable musical performance led by CHOIR CHOIR CHOIR starting at 6:00pm. Free to attend. RSVP to the Facebook event here to receive updates.
https://www.miss604.com/2017/11/down...-lighting.html

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
i haven't seen it, i can't imagine a million dollars goes very far these days.
It doesn't... at all. Hence the lawsuit.

Quote:
It is for a Christmas tree only. Rotunda has been approved by the City but pre-leasing continues with retailers. Construction is not immanent.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Rotunda has been approved by the City but pre-leasing continues with retailers. Construction is not immanent.
But I thought retailers were DYING for prominent mall space downtown?? 😉

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Hate it, the rotunda as dated as it is has a far stronger sense of place and much more character.
In and of its own I don’t mind the design but it feels wrong for that location because it doesn’t utilize the prominence appropriately. That blank wall on Howe really bothers me.

Apple should build one of their new Town Square concepts and preserve some of the public space. If it was two level, I wonder if there’s enough room.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
But I thought retailers were DYING for prominent mall space downtown?? 😉
According to exhaustive market research by Vin Corp. there is demand for at least 6 or 7 new malls in downtown Vancouver but the fascists at city hall are blocking progress. If only Cadillac Fairview had the intimate knowledge of the retailing world that they have over at Vin Corp. they could fill their mall and then some!

Last edited by LeftCoaster; Nov 21, 2017 at 11:49 PM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
In and of its own I don’t mind the design but it feels wrong for that location because it doesn’t utilize the prominence appropriately. That blank wall on Howe really bothers me.
Absolutely agree.

As others have stated - it's a mid-block design plunked on a corner site.

Quote:
According to exhaustive market research by Vid Corp. there is demand for at least 6 or 7 new malls in downtown Vancouver but the fascists at city hall are blocking progress. If only Cadillac Fairview had the intimate knowledge of the retailing world that they have over at Vid Corp. they could fill their mall and then some!
Not Vin Corp.?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Absolutely agree.

Not Vin Corp.?
Haha right you are, fixed. Poor Vid in the Canada section, did nothing wrong.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 12:04 AM

another opportunity lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Quote:

Apple should build one of their new Town Square concepts and preserve some of the public space. If it was two level, I wonder if there’s enough room.
Quote:
Absolutely agree.
Being as new a city as it is, and with no architectural heritage or tradition to fall back on, Vancouver doesn't have a consistent "theme" to work with.
And there are so many people with so many different visions of what it should look like that the "visions" keep banging into each other, creating a conundrum of design.
The rotunda may be dated, bu what's replacing it looks "out of kilter;" does not respect the Howe Street linearity, and looks .... well ... sort of small-town hokey, somehow.
Too bad it's too late to go back to the drawing board and start over on that one. Calling in an architect from Montreal or Chicago might do the trick, but it'll never happen.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 1:30 AM

Why don't you wait until there is a shovel in the ground before falling back to you usual hicksville yokel Vancouver rant?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 1:36 AM
Reason and Freedom

Do you know whether the design is being changed? Because it's almost inconceivable that a prominent corner site would feature a blank wall along one of its steet-facing sides.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 1:41 AM

Quote:
According to exhaustive market research by Vin Corp. there is demand for at least 6 or 7 new malls in downtown Vancouver but the fascists at city hall are blocking progress. If only Cadillac Fairview had the intimate knowledge of the retailing world that they have over at Vin Corp. they could fill their mall and then some!
Since when did I say 6 or 7 new malls? I said one. However, according to LeftCoaster Corp., there is no demand for a new downtown mall, for the corp insists that retailers do better on street level.

Of course there is demand, and that's why CF is taking out the nice plaza and rotunda and replacing it with a crap extension. They can do this because they know they monopolize the market. Contrary to your belief, it is also true that CF is filling their mall and 100% tenanted whereas the street CRUs keep being boarded up.

However, this recent discussion is about how forumers think of the new design of the rotunda replacement, and I find it really unprofessional that you are bringing in the mall thing into this discussion, with the aim of insulting me.

Quote:
Why don't you wait until there is a shovel in the ground before falling back to you usual hicksville yokel Vancouver rant?
It is true that Vancouver's built-form isn't quite there yet, and that's why we have discussions of how we think can better improve the built environment. Otherwise people would've been raving about this city by now. Do keep your Vancouver pride/ego in check. We are here to wish this city to become better, and not simply trolling to insult. I hope you can tell the difference.

By the time the shovel hits the ground, it's too late.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 2:04 AM

Quote:
The Four Seasons plaza is now fenced off for demolition and construction.

Also regarding the Four Seasons:
I noticed they replaced the couches in the lobby recently and added some chairs. Not sure if this was in response to the lawsuit or not, but oddly the couches they put in are actually a major downgrade from the blue ones they had previously. The previous couches were quite high quality, very comfortable and spacious.. The new couches are stiff, uncomfortable and look very cheap, like straight out of a Brick showroom. Very odd choice of replacement.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
It is true that Vancouver's built-form isn't quite there yet, and that's why we have discussions of how we think can better improve the built environment. Otherwise people would've been raving about this city by now. Do keep your Vancouver pride/ego in check. We are here to wish this city to become better, and not simply trolling to insult. I hope you can tell the difference.

By the time the shovel hits the ground, it's too late.
Thank you for the positive reinforcement, Vin. I wanted to reply to Leftcoaster's feedback, but couldn't find the words to do without being called a troll. You said it for me. Thanks.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 4:18 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Leftcoaster is correct, he knows the market as he works in it. There have been a few retailers that have looked for space on and off over the last few years. Certainly not enough to interest anyone in building a new mall though. Those retailers for the most part haven't even been looking for mall space. The retail market is so sketchy right now, there have been numerous big box retailers vacating space over the last half dozen years that its left landlords with a glut of space across their portfolios. Some medium sized retailers are hesitant to sign long term leases due to the uncertainty of brick and mortar retail over the longer term. No one has any desire to plop down over a billion to build a new downtown mall with very questionable prospect of financial payback.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver