HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 8:18 AM
dazzle me

awesome pics, mojeda!

though i agree that the palmer building almost ruins the first photo - so ugly against all the beautiful architecture there.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
I thought about it briefly. It’s much cheaper than anything else new. But the apartments weren’t that great for me.
If that's the cheap end, it's a sad state of affairs considering a 1 bedroom available on their website is leasing at around $2300.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 2:55 AM

Last edited by cesar90; Nov 23, 2017 at 3:52 AM.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 4:20 AM

Awesome pics!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
If that's the cheap end, it's a sad state of affairs considering a 1 bedroom available on their website is leasing at around $2300.
They were much cheaper than that when I looked. I want to say that 1 BR’s started just above $2,000 or maybe even less and I think that included a parking space. That’s several hundred dollars less than other new places. $2,300 would still be a little cheaper than most, especially if parking is included, but not by much really.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 8:59 PM

Slightly off topic, but when will Google Maps update their satellite image? Most of the satellite image in LA is from October 2013 (note: Dodger Stadium 2013 postseason logo) and other buildings that were under construction that are completed today (Courtyard Marriott & 8th and Hope). I think we had this conversation before, I just want to see an updated DTLA Google Maps satellite view already

Old Posted Nov 26, 2017, 1:47 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I know its a tad bit old, from 2014 but figured I'd share this. Recommend full screen, with sound on, and if connection fast enough, on 4k.

Really shows the vastness and energy of LA. A mega city in itself, and only getting better with the great boom going on.

The urban expansive nature, the geography, the skyscrapers and high rises spread out over numerous nodes, the highways and insane traffic, make the city beautiful in its own respect.

Los Angeles is one of those cities that can make grandiose urban sprawl look great, and work.

Video Link

I think the vastness of the urban sprawl is an asset. As everything is built out pretty much, increased density is guaranteed. I also think the time lapse really captures the dense nature of the city.

Freeze the video at 0:14 and 0:17 to see this.

Also at 3:00 minute to 3:06 mark.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2017, 5:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
The urban expansive nature, the geography, the skyscrapers and high rises spread out over numerous nodes, the highways and insane traffic, make the city beautiful in its own respect.

Los Angeles is one of those cities that can make grandiose urban sprawl look great, and work.

The phrase that fits the nature of LA is....

I wasn't too much into the idea of the city being its own shape & form....different from the pack....back when that seemed to be mainly a euphemism for saying LA was not in great shape.

one major reason being that dtla not too long ago was overly sui generis. It was uniquely too sketchy by the standards of the leading cities of the US & world for 'not comparable' to be a description that should be interpreted positively.

but now....& as is admittedly also happening to the centers of many large & smaller cities throughout the US, but which was never much of an issue to begin with for traditional cities like SF, chicago or NYC over the past 50 yrs....the sui generis of LA is something I can better understand & finally start feeling relieved about.

some of this didn't exist as recently as one yr ago, & definitely over 5 to 15 yrs ago.....

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 26, 2017, 7:24 PM

Amen. I hate it when people compare LA to places like Manhattan. LA will NEVER look like NYC. How can you even compare the two?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2017, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post
Amen. I hate it when people compare LA to places like Manhattan. LA will NEVER look like NYC. How can you even compare the two?
Manhattan is the quintessentially urban area of the US. Plus it’s an area that many are familiar with. It makes sense that it’s the measuring stick that many cities use, not just LA. Plus people like to point out the stark differences.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2017, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Manhattan is the quintessentially urban area of the US. Plus it’s an area that many are familiar with. It makes sense that it’s the measuring stick that many cities use, not just LA. Plus people like to point out the stark differences.
This is very true as someone who had a minor in Community Planning, however I believe that LA will have a bit of a Chicago style look in the future-man this current building boom is awesome!!!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 12:22 AM
ridin4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesar90 View Post
DTLA is boomin with towers!!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I know its a tad bit old, from 2014 but figured I'd share this. Recommend full screen, with sound on, and if connection fast enough, on 4k.

Really shows the vastness and energy of LA. A mega city in itself, and only getting better with the great boom going on.

I think the vastness of the urban sprawl is an asset. As everything is built out pretty much, increased density is guaranteed. I also think the time lapse really captures the dense nature of the city.

Freeze the video at 0:14 and 0:17 to see this.

Also at 3:00 minute to 3:06 mark.
The grim predictions of the 90s by Mike Davis and those who quoted his work as if he were a prophet never really panned out. LA’s urban structure was supposed to be a recipe for violence, decay, etc.. He rarely gets mentioned anymore because the city defied so much of his predictions. LA isn't supposed to "work" because “proper” cities need to abide by east coast conceits, including the idea that LA’s ethnic neighborhoods were segregated ghettos. It would be unimaginable 20 years ago that today we consider our ethnic neighborhoods as one of LA’s greatest assets. And it was never expected for LA to be so culturally dominant, as sprawl was the anti-thesis of creativity.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
The grim predictions of the 90s by Mike Davis and those who quoted his work as if he were a prophet never really panned out. LA’s urban structure was supposed to be a recipe for violence, decay, etc.. He rarely gets mentioned anymore because the city defied so much of his predictions. LA isn't supposed to "work" because “proper” cities need to abide by east coast conceits, including the idea that LA’s ethnic neighborhoods were segregated ghettos. It would be unimaginable 20 years ago that today we consider our ethnic neighborhoods as one of LA’s greatest assets. And it was never expected for LA to be so culturally dominant, as sprawl was the anti-thesis of creativity.
Funny you should say this and that I should read this comment now; I was recently thinking about "City of Quartz," a book that has been recommended to me by a number of different people, but that I have never read, in fact I've intentionally never read it. I've told a number of people over the years that I am from Los Angeles and love it, and love reading books about Los Angeles history. After telling some people this, they would tell me "Then you should read 'City of Quartz.'" I actually don't know too much about the book, but it's always been in my head that it is basically an opinion piece... am I correct? I would rather read objective histories and studies about Los Angeles rather than one person's opinion about a place.

And incidentally, most if not all of the people who have suggested I read "Quartz" were all transplants.

~ Charles Bukowski

Last edited by sopas ej; Nov 27, 2017 at 6:52 PM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 8:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleScott View Post
This is very true as someone who had a minor in Community Planning, however I believe that LA will have a bit of a Chicago style look in the future-man this current building boom is awesome!!!
I can definitely see LA looking like Chicago. Chicago is what Los Angeles would’ve looked like if LA never had a height limit, had a waterfront and built around the LA River.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 2:56 PM

Last edited by cesar90; Nov 28, 2017 at 2:17 AM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 2:19 AM

Genwa Korean BBQ Coming to South Park in Downtown LA

http://brighamyen.com/2017/11/27/gen...k-downtown-la/

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Funny you should say this and that I should read this comment now; I was recently thinking about "City of Quartz," a book that has been recommended to me by a number of different people, but that I have never read, in fact I've intentionally never read it. I've told a number of people over the years that I am from Los Angeles and love it, and love reading books about Los Angeles history. After telling some people this, they would tell me "Then you should read 'City of Quartz.'" I actually don't know too much about the book, but it's always been in my head that it is basically an opinion piece... am I correct? I would rather read objective histories and studies about Los Angeles rather than one person's opinion about a place.

And incidentally, most if not all of the people who have suggested I read "Quartz" were all transplants.
It's well-researched and considered a seminal work on LA, but it's a pessimistic urban theory with a dystopian take on LA that naturally, academics took like duck to water.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 11:50 PM

Opinions?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 11:57 PM

Mimicking the windows from the residential floors. For podium wrapping, not bad actually.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations