HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 5:45 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestrabbi View Post
As A taxpayer whereever we livwe we have the right to oppose this political buyout. It is ashame that Mobile is caught in the middle. I read that this deal cost 35,000 american jobs so Mobile ( and only Mobile ) could gain 2,000. Yes as a taxpayer we have the right to speak up and hope that our democrat congress will stand up and not only vote to retain everyone of these jobs but realize that the E U is not our greatest friend.
yeah man, no disrespect, but you should check with some more reliable sources for your information
take this one for example http://www.americasnewtanker.com/

Northrop Grumman's KC-45A tanker will create or support 48,000 new direct and indirect American jobs with 230 U.S. suppliers in 49 states.

No U.S. workers will lose their jobs and no current U.S. jobs are being sent to Europe.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 6:12 PM

Shepherd Centre

When I lived in Birmingham there was talk of a building that would rival anything in Atlanta or Charlotte. According to the plans and pictures this would have been and double high rise, one building over seventy floors and the other was to be about thirty floors. My question is why was this building not built, I know that in the northern area of Bham downtown there is a limit to how high a building can be. If the vacancy rate of prime office space in Downtown Bham is less than 10% why do we not see more building of quality highrises. Then there is the question as to why the RSA with their billions, why have they not built in Downtown Bham. They could alone help finance the much needed expansion of the Convention Complex, dome or not, expansion is needed. I do love this city , and have heard many times how visitors to the city are greatly impressed when they actually visit.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 6:19 PM
Closed account

I just wanted to make this known, it was too funny!!

midwestrabbi
Registered User Join Date: Jan 2008

Re: Do research

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyncrystal
Please do research before you start posting your material. You have no idea what is going on in Alabama apparently, they whole state is dominating a lot of business everywhere, and Mobile is a big part of that. Please, please stop!

midwestrabbi
I do my research and I know that much of what we ( you and I ) read is opinion. I do not and will not defend myself to a child

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyncrystal View Post
I just wanted to make this known, it was too funny!!

midwestrabbi
Registered User Join Date: Jan 2008

Re: Do research

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyncrystal
Please do research before you start posting your material. You have no idea what is going on in Alabama apparently, they whole state is dominating a lot of business everywhere, and Mobile is a big part of that. Please, please stop!

midwestrabbi
I do my research and I know that much of what we ( you and I ) read is opinion. I do not and will not defend myself to a child
HAHAHA!!! wow that is great stuff

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 6:31 PM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

just to show at the end of the day argument like this is silly. We should be defending our big 4 against other states not our own that is crazy !

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 6:33 PM
Closed account

Whats going on with Nordstroms?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 6:52 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Whats going on with Nordstroms?
From my understanding - The Galleria is gearing up for a major renovation inside and out to ready for Nordstrom. I've heard the old Macy's is coming down completely and there is going to be an open-air aspect to the project and Nordstrom is going to anchor. I think I heard construction is set to begin after this holiday season - Winter '09. That's a lot of time for plans to change.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 7:02 PM
Closed account

Cool, so the mall still has a Macy's, right?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 7:03 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Cool, so the mall still has a Macy's, right?
It does. They converted the Rich's to Macy's a couple of year's ago.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 7:12 PM
Closed account

I love Riverchase. I moved to Baton Rouge a few years back and had no clue that Jim Wilson designed the Mall of Louisiana. Both malls are alike. Still wish that they would have put MLA in Mobile to give the state more nice retail centers. Anyway, good news for you guys; I am proud for you.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 7:45 PM
Closed account

Hey! Happy 500th Post Dystopsis! I'm still a baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dystopos View Post
Birmingham's leadership could do a much better job of working with the state and region on economic development projects. Mobile and Huntsville took the initiative to get the state involved in their own projects. Our legislative delegation and municipal leaders would rather whine about the batting order than step up to the plate.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 7:58 PM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallman02 View Post
From my understanding - The Galleria is gearing up for a major renovation inside and out to ready for Nordstrom. I've heard the old Macy's is coming down completely and there is going to be an open-air aspect to the project and Nordstrom is going to anchor. I think I heard construction is set to begin after this holiday season - Winter '09. That's a lot of time for plans to change.

I have heard a lot of good stuff about Nordstrom and have never heard of it unil i was browning a B-ham thread on Unbanplanet. Is this store realy better than a Macy`s ? If so how come ?

I wish they would let the Mall of Louisiana in Mobile also bu they let it go to Baton Rouge. I do`nt know why the stste of Alabam allow things to be tooken from us by others states. I was talking to some B-ham students up here the other day nad they told me Six Flags over Georgis was planned for B-ham first and I told them it funny how Jazz land in N.O and the Mall of Louisiana was planned in Mobile aslo but no body knows what happend. We can`t let stuff like that slip through our(Alabama) fingers. Aalabam is on a roll and we have to be aggresive and firm. Well any way glad to se the Ham getting that fancy store !

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 8:03 PM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

Quote:
When I lived in Birmingham there was talk of a building that would rival anything in Atlanta or Charlotte. According to the plans and pictures this would have been and double high rise, one building over seventy floors and the other was to be about thirty floors. My question is why was this building not built, I know that in the northern area of Bham downtown there is a limit to how high a building can be. If the vacancy rate of prime office space in Downtown Bham is less than 10% why do we not see more building of quality highrises. Then there is the question as to why the RSA with their billions, why have they not built in Downtown Bham. They could alone help finance the much needed expansion of the Convention Complex, dome or not, expansion is needed. I do love this city , and have heard many times how visitors to the city are greatly impressed when they actually visit.

If i`m not mistakin I believe Huntsville and B-ham both have height restrictions for some reason. In my opinion I beleve the reason why Huntsville has it`s hight restriction is because of the mountains. I believe they want to keep ther mountain view bank ground that just my opinion. B-ham is on restriction because of the air port I believe may be another B-ham forumer may clear it up better, but i think it is based on the mountains in B-ham also just like H-ville thats my opinion.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port_of_Bama View Post
If i`m not mistakin I believe Huntsville and B-ham both have height restrictions for some reason. In my opinion I beleve the reason why Huntsville has it`s hight restriction is because of the mountains. I believe they want to keep ther mountain view bank ground that just my opinion. B-ham is on restriction because of the air port I believe may be another B-ham forumer may clear it up better, but i think it is based on the mountains in B-ham also just like H-ville thats my opinion.
Huntsville's heights restrictions are due to the historic districts that surround the CBD. If I'm not mistaken, area north of 565 aren't under the restriction. And the research park is also not under the restriction.

And also if I'm not mistaken, the Birmingham height restriction is because of the airport, but I don't think the Southside is under the restriction, which was where the Sheperd Centre was proposed to be built.
Huntsville-Decautr CSA: 526,302

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 6:40 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
When I lived in Birmingham there was talk of a building that would rival anything in Atlanta or Charlotte. According to the plans and pictures this would have been and double high rise, one building over seventy floors and the other was to be about thirty floors. My question is why was this building not built
Dystopos has an article about that proposal (Shepherd Centre) on his bhamwiki site:

http://bhamwiki.com/wiki/index.php?t...hepherd_Centre

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 8:21 PM
surely you're not serious

I am sorry to derail this thread one more time, but I would like to invite midwestrabbi over to the Mobile Development Thread to discuss this ridiculous sentiment about the Port City. You are very welcome to say what you said on this thread about Mobile on the other thread where you will be taken to task on the proper venue. The sheer inability of you to both comprehend and formulate a rebuttal must be rectified. Besides, I doubt you would actually like being proven wrong on a public forum as noted by your cop out: "I do not and will not defend myself to a child"

Surprise me over there with some logic and maybe some insightful debate can happen that might persuade you to open your eyes.

Birmingham rocks. Mobile sways. Denver shivers.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 8:37 PM
---

Quote:
Just remind the naysayers that NO mayor of Bham has ever served any prison time and No Mayor of Bham has ever been indicted. Birmingham will always to the Greatest City in Alabama. Birmingham had to overcome much adversity to become what it is today. The only prosperity that I see on the gulf coast starts on the eastern shore and extends past Pensacola.
Obviously you arent objective and I doubt Birmingham people agree with you. In order for Birmingham to really grow they still need the rest of the state and vice-versa. The state booms when the each city is successful and we need for it to be that way.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrical Porpoise View Post
Obviously you arent objective and I doubt Birmingham people agree with you. In order for Birmingham to really grow they still need the rest of the state and vice-versa. The state booms when the each city is successful and we need for it to be that way.
Seems that nobody wanted to respond to what I said earlier:

Quote:
to that, the naysayers will say that other cities didn't have the legal warchest of funds to protect their Mayors like Birmingham had(which, Birmingham has always had an excess of funds to protect their own). Not even a hand full of fellow cities in this state outside of the Big 4 are able to use their power and finances to protect their own.
If every other city in Alabama had Donald Watkins at their disposal, they too could get away with anything they wanted. Donald Watkins won 37 of 38 lawsuits he handled representing the City of Birmingham during the 1980s and 1990s. That's a hell of a record and Birmingham residents should be most proud of. If lawyers representing the City of Hoover came even close to that track record, then they too would never have had a Mayor that was convicted and sent to jail.

Donald Watkins, its time you come home from Miami.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 1:14 AM
Witty comment fail

you didn't accidentally respond to the wrong post, did you?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoraudio View Post
you didn't accidentally respond to the wrong post, did you?
There are a couple of times I wish Huntsville could have a Watkins in our back pocket. We did have Bud Cramer bringing home the $$$ but with him retiring, I'm not sure what we're gonna do. At least Montgomery and Mobile get the Bronner treatment.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast