HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 12:21 PM

I agree.

This latest rendering is pure meh.

$600MM and this is the best they can do? It looks like 80s crap you'd see on 202 or in central Florida.

Completely uninspired.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
I agree.

This latest rendering is pure meh.

$600MM and this is the best they can do? It looks like 80s crap you'd see on 202 or in central Florida.

Completely uninspired.
Yeah, I hear ya. The old renderings looked so much better. Who knows why they changed it?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2015, 11:22 PM

Last edited by ajaxean; Jan 15, 2019 at 2:16 PM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaxean View Post
I hope Penn finds a way to revert back to the old plans or scraps these uninspired new plans. When you're playing with that much money, it would seems almost criminal to have such a mediocre outcome.
They're not going to revert back the old plans, such as they were. I'm pretty sure that those models to which you're referring were just some preliminary concepts, and did not represent final plans of any kind. But even if they did, Penn has since hired international "starchitect" Lord Norman Foster--designer of CITC, the new Apple headquarters, the "Gherkin" in London, etc.--to design this complex, and these newer renderings are presumably from his firm. I assume that these are also fairly preliminary and conceptual, so that we'll hopefully see some significant improvement in whatever the final plans turn out to be.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 2:07 AM

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 5:03 PM

When does demolition begin?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christof View Post
I've been hearing by the end of Sept that we should see some good demo going on. I know my meetings in the "Bridge" conference room have been moved over to HUP and even the table that was in there is now in a new conference room at HUP (probably space opened up by staff moving into Perelman South Expansion/Tower). It's a big shuffle game.

Since they actually moved that huge table, I'm starting to believe it's actually coming down quite soon!

Cheers,
G.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 1:59 PM

The Perelman Center is a horrific Frankenstein of a building (probably THE ugliest in the city) that sets the bar so low for Penn, than anything that exceeds it will be considered a success. Maybe it was intentional.

p.s., Lord Foster means nothing to me. Wasn't Perelman designed by a starchitect, too?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
The Perelman Center is a horrific Frankenstein of a building (probably THE ugliest in the city) that sets the bar so low for Penn, than anything that exceeds it will be considered a success. Maybe it was intentional.

p.s., Lord Foster means nothing to me. Wasn't Perelman designed by a starchitect, too?
Originally Rafael Vinoly (designer of the Kimmel Center), but I'm not sure how much he's been involved in all of the subsequent "tinkering," as it might be called euphemistically.

In fact, I sometimes wonder if any architect has been involved.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 5:44 AM

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 12:42 PM
More of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaxean View Post
You can look it up, Vinoly's firm has actually been the architect on every Perelman Center expansion. It's entirely his monstrosity, although Penn is clearly also to blame for having no actual campus plan and having administrators who can't think past next Thursday. Inside too, the Perelman Center is one of the most absurdly confusing buildings you could imagine. I swear I am not exaggerating, I have seen patients angrily yelling at family members and nearly in tears because they were so hopelessly confused by the building's layout. It's almost impressive how Penn Medicine manages to get everything so wrong often, especially when they have such a good example of beautiful campus development across the street at CHOP.
Finally, I was reading this whole thread waiting for someone to point out that Perelman's interior concept (traffic flow, way-finding, and CRIMINALLY INADEQUATE elevator layout and inventory) are EXPONENTIALLY WORSE than the exterior architecture.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 12:53 PM
More of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Good suggestion. Changed it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan
Just a suggestion, summers, but it might be better to title this thread "Penn Medicine Towers," and not just "Penn Towers," to distinguish it from general Penn campus construction.

'New Patient Pavilion' is the nomenclature used by both Lord Norman Foster during his Louis Kahn award talk and on the PennConnects interactive map. Although I would think the word new would be dropped at some point, leaving it perhaps Penn Patient Pavilion?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Scale View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan
Just a suggestion, summers, but it might be better to title this thread "Penn Medicine Towers," and not just "Penn Towers," to distinguish it from general Penn campus construction.

'New Patient Pavilion' is the nomenclature used by both Lord Norman Foster during his Louis Kahn award talk and on the PennConnects interactive map. Although I would think the word new would be dropped at some point, leaving it perhaps Penn Patient Pavilion?
They'll probably slap a name on it of whoever sponsors it, like Smilow and Colket. I'll label this as the "New Patient Pavilion" for now however.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 10:37 PM
Hello

Penn sure has a knack for picking and building BAD buildings.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2015, 6:00 PM

The Penn Tower garage is blocked off and getting prepped for demo finally.

Cheers,
G.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2015, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Scale View Post
Good catch:

New Patient Pavilion

Old Posted Sep 5, 2015, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christof View Post
Demo is being set up now. Minor items are being removed. Expect major demo if garage to resume after pope weekend. It will be interested how they time it as the removal of debris will be restricted during both rush hour times.

When they get to the main tower they will be demo the middle first and use it as a cone to keep dust to a min.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2015, 1:14 AM

Old Posted Sep 13, 2015, 3:51 AM

Damn...not wasting any time!

Old Posted Sep 13, 2015, 7:24 PM

They have been doing work around the clock. Expect garage demo to continue quickly.

Penn Tower is going to be used as a staging ground and lodging for employees during Pope weekend.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive