HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 10:11 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fvn View Post
This might be a stupid question but do you know how the permits for the crane jump work? Because as I said in my previous post the last crane jump permit from July (I think) said it was "FINAL PHASE". Is a phase more than one jump? Or are the permits only for the tie-ins to the structure (multiple per phase?)?
It's safe to assume that it's more than one jump unless someone can confirm otherwise.

If there are 9 floors left then it really will be 80

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 10:19 PM

^Usually there is a Phase 1 which allows you to stand the crane and a Phase 2 that covers all jumps. There is not typically a separate permit for each individual crane jump. The Phase 2, I guess, would be the final phase but I have not seen it shown that way on a crane permit before. Maybe they did a more phased permit submission than usual for some reason, but I'm not sure why it would be more than 2 phases.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 10:51 PM

When I rode by the site earlier this afternoon it looked like there were some tower crane sections sitting among the construction trailers, if that helps both confirm and dispel some of the concerns.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombardier View Post
^Usually there is a Phase 1 which allows you to stand the crane and a Phase 2 that covers all jumps. There is not typically a separate permit for each individual crane jump. The Phase 2, I guess, would be the final phase but I have not seen it shown that way on a crane permit before. Maybe they did a more phased permit submission than usual for some reason, but I'm not sure why it would be more than 2 phases.
Good to know

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 2:33 PM

I'm no crane expert, but does this look like they have the necessary pieces / machinery for another jump?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
I'm no crane expert, but does this look like they have the necessary pieces / machinery for another jump?
Well, yes, but it needs that machinery to disassemble itself as well, so that doesn't tell us if it will jump again.

Like Ned.B, I rode past the site yesterday and noticed two new crane segments which made me think it might jump one more time, then Bombardier confirmed for us.

Wish I had a zoom lens to photograph the workers all the way up there, must be awesome jumping a crane at that height, against the blue sky

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozy View Post
Well, yes, but it needs that machinery to disassemble itself as well, so that doesn't tell us if it will jump again.
Definitely not coming down (yet). Look at all the forming/safety screens still up there

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 5:29 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

This morning:

Sorry for the shitty picture. Could those be crane sections on top of the garage?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturne View Post
That's funny, I have a friend who lives in that building and snapped this exact pic a few weeks ago. Awesome view for a dorm
Yeah haha, I can't complain.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 7:58 PM
Ω

I was kind of scared about the facade but imo it turned out pretty nice. Although it does look very 70's. At least it looks way better than 432 Park. Does anyone know if the roof gardens are VEed out?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 1:09 AM

That picture by SIGSEGV shows how imposing this building is... I love it

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 4:57 PM
BANNED

Crain jump via @chicago1974 on ig

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 5:03 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ O ye, of little faith.

remember when this happened?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
Looks like this will be just around 800' in the end

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 5:33 PM

........I don't follow this thread very much, but didn't this project have two very similar towers? One a little taller than the other.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjk113 View Post
........I don't follow this thread very much, but didn't this project have two very similar towers? One a little taller than the other.
The consensus among the design community and this forum is that the second, taller twin was included in an early presentation as a suggestion or a placeholder. General wisdom assumes that whatever gets planned for its west-bordering neighbor will be different than the tapered design we're seeing under construction. And given unforeseen market conditions, there's no guarantee that it will be taller.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 6:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
The consensus among the design community and this forum is that the second, taller twin was included in an early presentation as a suggestion or a placeholder. General wisdom assumes that whatever gets planned for its west-bordering neighbor will be different than the tapered design we're seeing under construction. And given unforeseen market conditions, there's no guarantee that it will be taller.
there is no guarantee of anything. however, I spent 10 months working on the designs for the second tower when I worked for Vinoly, which was over 2 years ago. at that time, and things could have changed since then, the economics of the second tower dictated that it had to be taller than the first, with a combination of condos and rental units, in order to be profitable. I don't recall the exact numbers now, but there was a maximum number of units that could be built in that neighborhood, and in order for CH to make money they had to max that number out. Given the site constraints, parking requirements, mechanical spaces, etc., the second tower would have to be taller to accommodate that number of units.
But again, this could be different today, that was just as of 2 years ago.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 6:29 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
there is no guarantee of anything. however, I spent 10 months working on the designs for the second tower when I worked for Vinoly, which was over 2 years ago. at that time, and things could have changed since then, the economics of the second tower dictated that it had to be taller than the first, with a combination of condos and rental units, in order to be profitable. I don't recall the exact numbers now, but there was a maximum number of units that could be built in that neighborhood, and in order for CH to make money they had to max that number out. Given the site constraints, parking requirements, mechanical spaces, etc., the second tower would have to be taller to accommodate that number of units.
.......thanks a ton guys !

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 6:38 PM

Hate to say I told you so

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 7:50 PM

^^^ This building is an instant classic and could definitely beat up it's ultraluxury lanky cousin in NYC in a fight. So beefy.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 8:19 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
Right, that's good to hear but there seems to be the general notion that the market is going down due to all the recent projects. In which case they likely wouldn't build anything at all.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive