HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 7:08 PM

The S-E Transitway will have stations at both Billings Bridge and Confederation Heights, while the O-Train by-passes Billings Bridge. If the O-Train schedule is reliable in its timing, then a transfer to it can easily be made by Carleton U. students.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Eade View Post
The S-E Transitway will have stations at both Billings Bridge and Confederation Heights, while the O-Train by-passes Billings Bridge. If the O-Train schedule is reliable in its timing, then a transfer to it can easily be made by Carleton U. students.
Since when did the SE Transitway have a station at Confederation Heights?Heron Station (on the SE Transitway) is NOT Confederation Heights, and you cannot reasonably suggest that people can easily transfer between the two.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
Since when did the SE Transitway have a station at Confederation Heights?Heron Station (on the SE Transitway) is NOT Confederation Heights, and you cannot reasonably suggest that people can easily transfer between the two.
I agree that there is no station at Confederation Heights along the S-E Transitway YET, but that is why I wrote that "The S-E Transitway will have..." in future tense. I believe that the large red dot on the Council approved plan is to be a transfer station between the S-E Transitway, the O-Train's replacement, and the Baseline/Heron/Walkley BRT. If I had to leave one of those lines out, it would be the BRT so the other two could still provide a convenient transfer between rapid transit lines. That way the BRT buses would still go into Billings Bridge for transfers there. There would also be transfers between the BRT and the future O-Train at Heron. This would split the transfer volumes between the three stations.

I might be wrong, though. Do you have contrary information?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 8:48 PM

Any ideas or rumours for the future of the Billings Bridge site? The CDP has been developed since the last post in this thread, which includes plans to redesign the site into more of a mixed-use, pedestrian friendly area. I would hope that the closing of Target speeds up the redevelopment plans as the mall may be without an anchor tenant for the foreseable future.

The recent opening of retail at Lansdowne increases competition somewhat but there is still potential.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 11:23 PM

This is my closest Target so I've been giving this one some thought and come up with some possibilities.

- The Loblaws/Your Independent Grocer there is small and has been pretty much the same size since 1954. This would be possibility for them to get into a bigger location with their own entrance, possibly under the Superstore brand. It would then be easier to find a tenant or tenants for the current Loblaws store.
- Subdivide it into smaller tenants. I could see Winners and Homesense going in here. Dollarama would also work (though that would kill the dollar store at the other end of the mall). As would Giant Tiger. Of course, there can be other smaller tenants as well.
- This would be a great spot for Walmart. Close to Carleton University, a lot of students in the area, on a major bus line. My only qualm, though, is it too close to South Keys and Trainyards?
- The least ideal solution would be to have the federal government take it over for office space. Yes, it would bring people to the mall who would shop on their lunch breaks. But that would kill that end of the mall on evenings and weekends.

Just my two cents.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 6:12 PM
R2-D2's army of death

talk about a necro.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues