HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 7:37 PM

Looking through Google Maps, isn't Leitrim (and this proposed development) inside the Greenbelt?

How did these developments come to be if so? I thought it was a big "no-no" to ever build anything in the Greenbelt?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Looking through Google Maps, isn't Leitrim (and this proposed development) inside the Greenbelt?

How did these developments come to be if so? I thought it was a big "no-no" to ever build anything in the Greenbelt?
No, none of these were ever in the Greenbelt. Historically the south edge of the Greenbelt was Leitrim Rd.

When Findlay Creek was developed there was a section of land protected from development because it is a provincially significant wetland (Leitrim Wetland). The NCC now shows the Leitrim Wetland as part of the Greenbelt in their maps although it is owned by the South Nation Conservation, not the NCC.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 2:23 PM

Urbandale is now advertising the new Leitrim development as "Cowan's Grove"

http://urbandaleconstruction.com/com...s/cowans-grove

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 2:27 PM

This old man read that as "Gowan's Cove"

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
This oldster read it is "Yet Another Tacky Faux-Authentic Development Name".

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
I would live in Gowan's Cove.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 8:20 PM
Progressive Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
You're a Strange Animal.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
As would All the Lovers in the World.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRedGold View Post
You're a Strange Animal.
But does he have A Criminal Mind?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post

But does he have A Criminal Mind?

It's all I've ever known.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 4:42 PM

I know this was discussed before somewhere but I am not sure where. A crane was erected over the weekend for the replacement development on Heron Road at Heron Gate. This project is going ahead.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 8:12 PM

If I end up with 80s CanCon earworms, I am not responsible for my actions!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 11:43 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Taxpayers on the hook for an extra $10M to help developers build homes in Kanata
Public has never been explicitly alerted to growing costs of two west-end projects

By Laura Osman , CBC News
Posted: Oct 24, 2017 5:00 AM ET Last Updated: Oct 24, 2017 5:00 AM ET

Taxpayers are on the hook for $10 million more than planned after the cost for two projects to help developers build homes in the city's west end has shot up in the last decade.

The escalating price tags for the Kanata West sewage pumping station and the Carp River restoration — projects shared between the city and local developers — have received little to no public scrutiny, despite overshooting their original budgets by millions.​

In the case of the pumping station, the cost of the project has ballooned from an estimated $15.95 million in 2012 to $61 million in 2017. The city's share of that project is about 10 per cent, and has grown to $6 million from $1.6 million.

When the Carp River restoration project was approved in 2006, the city's share was $1.5 million. Since then the taxpayer contribution has grown to $6.4 million, even as many public benefits have been scaled back.

Both projects are vital if developers hope to continue building homes in the area.

The pumping station will increase the sewage capacity of the area, allowing the system to accommodate more homes. The Carp River restoration will reduce flooding and allow developers to build closer to the river.

In fact, at Tuesday's planning committee, councillors will vote on a rezoning application for a new 945-unit Richcraft subdivision on Maple Grove Road that would not be possible without the pumping station and the river restoration.

And yet, city staff and city council have not alerted the public to the cost increases or design changes in a report to council or committee.

Technically, council did approved the annually expanding costs, but only as part of a 200-page budget.

Each project appears as a single line item in the dense financial document, and in an annual list of infrastructure projects. Staff has not explicitly presented the project increases to committee, where the cost escalations would be more visible to members of the public.

When asked why the public was never alerted to these projects, Stittsville Coun. Shad Qadri said the public was invited to take part in the budget process.

"The budget process was brought to the public's attention, and that's where it was discussed," said Qadri.

Qadri said all Kanata and Stittsville councillors have been kept up to date on the costs of the projects, and he was satisfied with the way staff answered his questions.

Kanata North Coun. Wilkinson said councillors have done their best to keep citizens abreast of the costs and share reports with the public when they can.

Coun. Allan Hubley, of Kanata South, was not available for an interview over a three-day period.

In a 2012 consultant report, the estimated cost of the pump station for Kanata West was $15.95 million. By 2013, the cost rose to $30 million.

Every year, there would be single line item in the city's capital budget dedicated to the pumping station, and every year the cost would grow — a lot.

In 2014 council approved an additional $9 million for the project. The next year council approved another $9 million for the project, and another $7 million the year after that. The project budget has now reached $61 million.

The pump station is under construction directly next to the Carp River on the border between Kanata and Stittsville.

City staff declined an interview request. In an emailed statement, Alain Gonthier, director of infrastructure services, said no geotechnical study had been done to support the initial cost estimates, which later surged to accommodate for poor soil conditions.

Kanata soil is notoriously soft and difficult to build on, especially along the river — a fact that has been well known since amalgamation, said Wilkinson.

Other reasons for the increased cost include changes to city standards and industry best practices.

Building along the Carp River has also been difficult in the past because much of the land is in a floodplain. But all that is supposed to change thanks to the Carp River restoration project.

The project involves narrowing the river, which in turn helps keeps the water moving and prevents sediment from building up. The narrowing also prevents floods and leaves more land for developers to build on.

The restoration project was approved by council in 2006. At the time the project included walking paths, fish habitats and pedestrian bridges.

A group of landowners agreed to pay 70 per cent of the cost while the city paid the remaining 30 per cent. The city's initial contribution was estimated at $1.5 million.

But because the city also happens to own land in the area, it is also paying part of the landowner's costs as well. It's not clear how much that contribution is worth.

The project, which is being led by the landowners, quickly began to rack up costs.

In 2014, the land owners hired a consultant who recommended axing a number of elements from the proposal, including two pedestrian bridges, turning several habitat ponds into wet meadows, using more rock along the river bed and planting less vegetation.

The decision was also made not to raise pedestrian walkways as promised, shaving $3 million off the project, but also making the pathways more likely to flood.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...ment-1.4367641

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 7:24 PM

From https://shadqadri.com/2017/10/27/joh...sehill-avenue/

Quote:
Johnwoods Street Closure for Multi-Use Pathway from Maple Grove to Rosehill Avenue

ON OCTOBER 27, 2017 BY SHADQADRIIN PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT, RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT, WEEKLY COLUMN

Starting on Wednesday, November 15, 2017, Johnwoods Street will be permanently closed to vehicular traffic from Maple Grove Road to Rosehill Avenue and will be rebuilt as a multi-use pathway for pedestrians and cyclists.

This work will add a safe and accessible recreational amenity, more greenspace and direct connections for pedestrians and cyclists in your community. The pathway will also enhance privacy and livability for nearby residents by reducing vehicle traffic noise and headlight glare.

For more information on this project, including history regarding the decision I encourage residents to please review the documents available on my website.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 7:36 PM

So they are taking a suburban street layout, and making it even more suburban?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
So they are taking a suburban street layout, and making it even more suburban?
LOL. The objective is to reduce traffic on the John Woods St. I don't see how this is going to help though, as everyone will detour along Santolina and Rosehill to John Woods St instead. What they really need to do is extend Maple Grove 150m to the Stittsville Main street extension. Stittsville Main is better suited to handle this traffic.

Last edited by roger1818; Oct 30, 2017 at 8:03 PM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
LOL. The objective is to reduce traffic on the John Woods St. I don't see how this is going to help though, as everyone will detour along Santolina and Rosehill to John Woods St instead. What they really need to do is extend Maple Grove 150m to the Stittsville Main street extension. Stittsville Main is better suited to handle this traffic.
The best approach would be to extend Maple Grove to connect to Rothbourne Road and thus to Carp Road. This would not only create a proper through route in northern Stittsville, it could form a very efficient bus route as well. Imagine a route extending from Terry Fox station down Maple Grove to Carp Road, then going south along Westridge. A very straight line (and thus fast) local route whose walk-up catchment would include much of northern and western Stittsville.

Last edited by 1overcosc; Oct 30, 2017 at 8:26 PM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 8:12 PM

That seems like madness. I don't live in the area so these comments are based off me looking at google maps...but... Why are they closing a street with no houses fronting onto it in that section to make it a MUP. If people complained about traffic volumes they are essentially just going to shift them down Santolina Street.

And yes... as you mentioned why don't they extend Maple Grove to Stittsville Main? Seems too easy!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
The best approach would be to extend Maple Grove to connect to Rothbourne Road and thus to Carp Road.
In the long term, I agree. The extension to Stittsville Main is a quick fix though. Stittsville Main is designed to handle the traffic as the long term plan is to extend it to Palladium Drive near the 417 ramp.

Quote:
This would not only create a proper through route in northern Stittsville, it could form a very efficient bus route as well. Imagine a route extending from Terry Fox station down Maple Grove to Carp Road, then going south along Westridge. A very straight line (and thus fast) local route whose walk-up catchment would include much of northern and western Stittsville.
But that would make too much sense. OCTranspo is convinced that the 162 needs to serve the Tanger Mall. I once asked if they could extend the 162 on the west end to loop back to the GRC as not only would that be a good destination for Stittsville residents, but it would also serve Sacred Heart students along Westridge who are just within the 3.2 km busing boundary. The answer I got was there isn't time in the schedule as the priority is serving the Tanger Mall.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 9:11 PM
Progressive Curmudgeon

What is the purpose of a pedestrian/bicycle path that leads to nowhere?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRedGold View Post
What is the purpose of a pedestrian/bicycle path that leads to nowhere?
Its actually a nice N-S cycling corridor...

If you are heading south from Maple Grove Road, you can cross Hazeldean to Victor Street, then you are on a pathway all the way to Abbott Street and the Trans Canada Trail.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs