HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phone View Post
If the CP rail line was to be relocated, what would become of the rail bridge by the weir? What about redevelopment around the Sutherland yards? Might we see McKercher extended north into Forest Grove?
I'd expand on that and ask what would happen to the rail corridor that runs through that area. I'd like to see the city replace the rails with biking/walking paths; essentially just a strip of parkland that runs the length of Saskatoon. It would be a great way for the city to create instant access throughout the city to downtown and the University. Perhaps turn it into a skating path during winter?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 7:48 PM
Unregistered User

That's a great idea! I think a rail trail could only really start on the east side of Warman Road, otherwise there would be the same problem with level crossings (although if it 'jogged' at 22/H, and 25/Idylwyld that might mitigate the problem), but that would be a great way to link City Park/North Park with the University while expanding the active transportation system! An elevated skating path would be fantastic, and the walkway beside the bridge would still facilitate pedestrian/cyclist traffic during the winter.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 7:54 PM
Unregistered User

The idea of the CP right-of-way being converted to LRT had been floated in the past before BRT became the preferred option -- would this be something to reconsider? Presumably LRT trains could be timed to minimize conflict with BRT buses at crossings. There would be room for intermodal stations connecting to BRT at several points along the line, 22/H most closely but also potentially at 25/Idylwyld, 33/Warman, Preston Ave N, and 8 St E.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 8:03 PM
the heat goes on

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 5:57 AM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 7:35 PM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 5:01 PM

^^^ Reading through the website information they mention a connection to an adjoining tower if additional floor space is needed in the future for tenants. I'm assuming this is referring to a future tower on the adjacent at-grade surface parking lot.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandCritter View Post
^^^ Reading through the website information they mention a connection to an adjoining tower if additional floor space is needed in the future for tenants. I'm assuming this is referring to a future tower on the adjacent at-grade surface parking lot.
yes i think someone mentioned that when the first new renderings came out. i wonder if someone has any details, does it say a proposed tower?

btw, i wonder how the WTC is going lol

Last edited by mitchellk12; Mar 9, 2018 at 8:09 PM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 7:11 PM

This was taken from their brochure

Quote:

The architectural design of the future tower sets a new standard for office buildings in this city.

Preliminary plans for the adjacent 20 plus storey tower have already been completed.

Construction of the new tower connecting to the existing building begins when sufficient preleasing is met.

DEVELOPER

Duchuck Holdings Ltd.
Brent Suer, President
bsuer.suerandpollon@shawbiz.ca

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 3:39 PM

Bed, Bath and Beyond

It seems to be taking a long time for the Bed, Bath and Beyond on Preston north to open. Anyone have an idea when it’s suppose to open.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 3:44 PM

Bed, Bath and Beyond

Does anyone know what’s going on with the Bed, Bath and Beyond store on Preston North. It seems to be taking an unusual amount of time to open.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowest View Post
Does anyone know what’s going on with the Bed, Bath and Beyond store on Preston North. It seems to be taking an unusual amount of time to open.
They said opening in March on their Facebook

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
This was taken from their brochure
Also on their website on a different page “A fourth storey will be added which will result in 64,020 of contiguous square footage.”

Sounds like we may be getting a crane over there for the summer. Awesome!! That is 3 guaranteeds cranes (River landing condo, office Tower, river quarry) with the possibility of one more (wtc). DT Saskatoon is going to look super productive this summer. About time! Haha

This is also a very good read on vacancy rates downtown: http://saskedge.ca/saskatoon-office-...-need-to-know/

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
Also on their website on a different page “A fourth storey will be added which will result in 64,020 of contiguous square footage.”

Sounds like we may be getting a crane over there for the summer. Awesome!! That is 3 guaranteeds cranes (River landing condo, office Tower, river quarry) with the possibility of one more (wtc). DT Saskatoon is going to look super productive this summer. About time! Haha

This is also a very good read on vacancy rates downtown: http://saskedge.ca/saskatoon-office-...-need-to-know/
do you think the Meridan Condos on university drive will require a crane also? dont forget about that one. They should be starting pretty quick too i hope.

then maybe the 5 storey NPD condo?

some good things happening in and around the DT area.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 2:56 PM

Who knows maybe even urban capital condo on Broadway

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
Who knows maybe even urban capital condo on Broadway
My understanding is that Urban Capital will not start construction on the Broadway project until No.1 River Landing is complete which means I wouldn't expect any significant activity on the Broadway site before next year at the earliest.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskE30 View Post
My understanding is that Urban Capital will not start construction on the Broadway project until No.1 River Landing is complete which means I wouldn't expect any significant activity on the Broadway site before next year at the earliest.
Makes sense in a way, they just announced it couple months ago so its still the beginning of the planning stages, either way im looking forward to this project when it does happen.

I hope Urban Capital develops more projects in the future. I attended the public transit/growth open house last wednesday and i was pretty impressed on what the plans were for the future. 22nd/Idylwyld/8th and Uni heights are going to look far different within the next 10-20 years. With the projects that urban capital has developed, i hope to see alot of their "different style" projects to be apart of our corridor growth, i think it would add some different character to some of these areas.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 4:48 PM

Urban Capital will also need to rezone that property at the top of the bridge, so expect a brouhaha similar to the Meridian project on University Drive. Area residents are still licking their wounds from that one.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Urban Capital will also need to rezone that property at the top of the bridge, so expect a brouhaha similar to the Meridian project on University Drive. Area residents are still licking their wounds from that one.
Potential geotechnical issues aside, if ever there was a property ripe for development it is that one. The impact to existing homes should be minimal. I think that one of the reasons it has remained vacant for so long its that it requires a substantial building, and there are not many local developers (if any) with deep enough pockets.

I sure hope there is not backlash like there was against the Meridian project, but I fear you may be correct. Many people I know are outraged there is a tall building (RL) going up close to the river.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 7:53 PM

I've heard that the Meridian condo is going to include some really large units. The developers have personally been reaching out to certain wealthy individuals around the city gauging interest on purchasing pent house suites. If they can find enough people interested, I think we'll see a few 2,500 + sqft units

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt_center View Post
Potential geotechnical issues aside, if ever there was a property ripe for development it is that one. The impact to existing homes should be minimal. I think that one of the reasons it has remained vacant for so long its that it requires a substantial building, and there are not many local developers (if any) with deep enough pockets.

I sure hope there is not backlash like there was against the Meridian project, but I fear you may be correct. Many people I know are outraged there is a tall building (RL) going up close to the river.
In the case of the new Urban Capital project the backlash will almost certainly come from the condo owners in the existing buildings clustered around there who think they have an inalienable right to their existing view and that nothing that would change it should ever, ever be allowed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan