HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Feb 22, 2009, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor2Ott View Post
The picture fooled me too, as I thought there would be a full wall behind the staircase:
Wait a minute, if there is no a full wall behind the staircase, why am I talking about the murals.........

I was thinking about this picture.......

Or this one........

Not this one..........

Last edited by 333fun555; Feb 23, 2009 at 3:16 AM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2009, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Not sure if you guys know, but HP will have a metal globe structure outside between the buldings. It is supposed to look somewhat like the Atlas statue outside Rockefeller Centre in NYC:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ellerAtlas.jpg

The HP structure will just be the globe, without the half-naked muscular man. You could see it here:
http://charlesfort.ca/hudson-park/im...xt-large-0.jpg
http://charlesfort.ca/hudson-park-ii...xt-large-1.jpg

I think the Rockefeller Centre is where Mr. Doug Casey got his inspirations from. Doesn't this look like HP??
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Shankbone.jpg

I just hope Tor, we'll get the globe, and the Atlas statue.........

Last edited by 333fun555; Feb 25, 2009 at 4:14 PM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 1:24 AM

Well Hudsn Park I and II seem to be a great topic of conversation but --- there are other beautiful condos going up in our town and I've chatted with folks who check out this forum but don't comment.

How about a word from you?

Move in dates, delays, frustrations, wonderful surprises? why you've chosen your building, how you would like condominium living to be ,advantages, disadvantages re having a house or downsizing from a house or leaving an apartnment, questions for those of us who have been there might answer There are many things we could talk about.

All of those things make us a community. Maybe some day we can even effect changes if we can be vocal and united and reasoned about what we want.. Don't be shy. Let's get to know each other.

Momma T

Last edited by Momma T; Feb 25, 2009 at 4:56 AM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 3:03 PM

I bailed on getting a place. I almost bought in Clairidge plaza but decided against at the last minute and don't regret that. I patiently waited to see what Phase 2 of HP had, and although the units were nice, in my price range I didn't like the idea of facing the Everett.

Mostly though I didn't expect my salary to rise and interest rates to drop the way they did and right now is a perfect opportunity for me to get a place. I'll probably go take another look at central or see what goes on sale in HP 1/2 when everyone moves in...

Last edited by Ottawade; Feb 25, 2009 at 3:34 PM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 5:16 PM

Not sure what your price range is, but there's still some nice south-facing units (Broadway and Vanderbilt) on higher floors in HP2. Everett would not be a factor there.

Personally, I think Central is a scam. It's really in the middle of nowhere. It's situated well south of downtown/centretown and well north of The Glebe. That's why they come up with the name as a marketing strategy, in brainwashing people in thinking it's "central" to everything but in fact to nothing. If it's really in a good location, you wouldn't need to name it so obviously (look at all other condos in true downtown areas: Mondrian, HP, Claridge Plaza, Everett, etc. etc). As an investment in hopes of it being an up-and-coming area, it will be years since I don't see any promising developments in the area that indicates that.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Not sure what your price range is, but there's still some nice south-facing units (Broadway and Vanderbilt) on higher floors in HP2. Everett would not be a factor there.

Personally, I think Central is a scam. It's really in the middle of nowhere. It's situated well south of downtown/centretown and well north of The Glebe. That's why they come up with the name as a marketing strategy, in brainwashing people in thinking it's "central" to everything but in fact to nothing. If it's really in a good location, you wouldn't need to name it so obviously (look at all other condos in true downtown areas: Mondrian, HP, Claridge Plaza, Everett, etc. etc). As an investment in hopes of it being an up-and-coming area, it will be years since I don't see any promising developments in the area that indicates that.

I don't feel sorry for the people from Everett anymore. Look at these balconies, aren't they too close???
This is "CENTRAL", by the way.

Last edited by 333fun555; Feb 25, 2009 at 8:00 PM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 9:16 PM

Quote:
As an investment in hopes of it being an up-and-coming area, it will be years since I don't see any promising developments in the area that indicates that.
There's the Galaxy Camera flagship store proposal (status admittedly unclear) at James and Bank, and right by it someone is planning to build a six story mixed use building, possibly including a theatre, on the site of the James Street Feed company. Barrymores has new owners who are gradually overhauling the building. The city will also be tearing up and rebuilding that stretch of Bank soon. And then there's the Central, of course. It could all come to naught, but that area is percolating.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 9:52 PM

I understand that there are a few residential developments planned. However, they're just that--residential. Barrhaven and Riverside South has many residential units too, but they're way off to the downtown core and shops. Similarly with Central, it's neither walking distance to the core nor to the Glebe, relative to the size of Ottawa (especially with Ottawa winters). Central will never be considered as being a part of the Glebe due to the psychological barrier known as the 417. And unless there will be extensive ubanization going south along Bank St. to Gladstone, Central will not be considered downtown either.

Plus those developments mentioned are in the rumoured/planned/proposed stage. After we weather this economic turmoil, it would be years before any shovels are in the ground, if any.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 12:35 AM

Is there anyone out there that upgraded their granite countertops to another granite that was not being offered by Charlesfort and if so, did they get a credit for the granite that they won't be getting. I'm just curious as none is being offered in my case.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicegirl View Post
Is there anyone out there that upgraded their granite countertops to another granite that was not being offered by Charlesfort and if so, did they get a credit for the granite that they won't be getting. I'm just curious as none is being offered in my case.
I upgraded both my kitchen and bathroom countertops. I went to their granite store in person to check it out. Since it's the same store that Charlesfort deals with, the credit was implicit; I was just charged an amount that took the credit into consideration.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 2:27 AM

Quote:
I understand that there are a few residential developments planned. However, they're just that--residential. Barrhaven and Riverside South has many residential units too, but they're way off to the downtown core and shops. Similarly with Central, it's neither walking distance to the core nor to the Glebe, relative to the size of Ottawa (especially with Ottawa winters). Central will never be considered as being a part of the Glebe due to the psychological barrier known as the 417. And unless there will be extensive ubanization going south along Bank St. to Gladstone, Central will not be considered downtown either.

Plus those developments mentioned are in the rumoured/planned/proposed stage. After we weather this economic turmoil, it would be years before any shovels are in the ground, if any.
It all depends on your frame of reference. If one looks at Ottawa from the perspective of another city, then sure, the Central isn't exactly central in the sense of being downtown. However, Centretown isn't downtown - it's a neighbourhood in its own right, in the same sense that the Glebe and Hintonburg are neighbourhoods. It's located just south of downtown, from Laurier to the 417 and from the canal to Bronson. We've got two community newspapers, a community organization that goes back to the seventies, and a pitbull of a city councillor. As for the area called "downtown," it empties out at 5:30 p.m. You're probably right that the developer was being disingenious, but the Central is technically in the centre of the neighbourhood. The real centre of the neighbourhood, however, is Hartmans at Bank and Somerset. The people moving into Hudson Park, the Mondrian, and the Central will all be spending some time there. That'll make Centretowners of you. Keep your elbows up.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Similarly with Central, it's neither walking distance to the core nor to the Glebe
I definately don't agree with this statement. Central is totally within walking distance of the Glebe as well as the CBD. I'm not sure what your idea of walking distance is, but Central's front doors are 471m from Preoria Ave. (the start of shops in the Glebe) and it's 814m from Laurier Ave. (entrance to the CBD). Ottawa isn't a very big city and I don't find there are any unwalkable locations when your talking about the CBD, Centretown, or the Glebe. Have a look at how far some people walk to work in TO and you'll see that our city has a very livable scale in comparison. That being said, I do agree that the area of Bank South of Somerset is a little grungy (which is why I purchased at Mondrian). Once our economy improves, the proposed projects will go up along Bank and next summer they will be redoing the street and sidewalks from Somerset to the 417, a serious step in the right direction.

Oh ya, and traditionally Centretown was defined as from Gloucester to the 417, but that has been stretched a bit in recent years to include the CBD according to the Centretown Citizens' Community Association.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 3:46 AM

I know technically Central is in Centretown, but psychologically (and personally) I don't consider anything south of Somerset to be downtown/Centretown. Maybe in 10 or 20 years when they clean and develop the place.

Maybe I was speaking relatively. TO being larger, I tend to walk farther just because I have to, than I would in OTT.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 2:17 PM

I'll agree that there isn't necessarily the best retail experience around Central, however you'd have lots of great brunch options, but I completely agree with O-Town in that nothing is really that far of a walk. Living at Elgin and MacLaren myself I find main section of the market, sparks street, the clocktower pub (just across the queensway on bank) and all of "centertown" to be an enjoyable walk on all but the coldest of days.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 2:24 PM

Quote:
I upgraded both my kitchen and bathroom countertops. I went to their granite store in person to check it out. Since it's the same store that Charlesfort deals with, the credit was implicit; I was just charged an amount that took the credit into consideration.

With upgrades and especially when you go outside of their options, you often don't get a proper credit. Seems unfair, but it is quite a hassle for them to have to install a granite from another source especially for your unit so c'est la vie.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawade View Post
I'll agree that there isn't necessarily the best retail experience around Central, however you'd have lots of great brunch options, but I completely agree with O-Town in that nothing is really that far of a walk. Living at Elgin and MacLaren myself I find main section of the market, sparks street, the clocktower pub (just across the queensway on bank) and all of "centertown" to be an enjoyable walk on all but the coldest of days.
What is Central's price/sf, anybody know?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 4:12 PM
R2-D2's army of death

I remember a few times, taking some tourists for a night walk around the market, down the Canal by QEW, up Bank through the Glebe, and then back to the market. Was a nice walk, and they were glad to have seen much of downtown Ottawa.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 5:28 PM
National Capital Region

I used to work for a housing company with places all around Centretown (CCOC) and my impression was that the southern part was still Centretown, and streets like Gilmour, Florence, McLeod and Argyle were definitely a part of it.

CCOC describes a place like Flora between Lyon and Bay as being in the "heart of centretown"

http://www.ccochousing.org/properties/202_flora

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 7:27 PM

changes in details

"Do not take everything verbatim" but with a grain of salt. There are always reasons for change, many we may never know real reason. Some things may be out of the control of the builder...so change is necessary.

All is not black and white in life rather it is, "grey" a little of both is a little more palatable I feel and every negative has a positive side even if we don't see immediately.

Every perspective makes the world go around...anyone else have a different perspective?

Cheers!
Etoile

Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 4:56 AM

[QUOTE=Etoile;
Every perspective makes the world go around...anyone else have a different perspective?

Cheers!
Etoile[/QUOTE]

As I said on the Skyscraper thread, a moderate point of view has some "give" when one considers and you have expressed that in a gentle way. Do you think we could get Chemist to concoct a brew for himself that would allow him to mellow a little?

Come on Chemist, favour us with ONE positive thing about Hudson Park 1 or 2.

Momma T

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion