HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Willis Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 12:46 AM

^^^I agree, that's why I re-posted eventhorizon5's photograph.

The two floors immediately below the observation deck
should be commanding some of the highest rent in Chicago.

And yet the two floors look like a warehouse of satellite dishes
and discarded boxes. (almost to the point of being a fire hazard)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 24, 2009 at 12:56 AM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 2:36 AM
Chicago carpetbagger

Wow...That storage has one helluva view!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 1:43 PM

If I could just step in here as a makeshift antenna expert...

"digital" and "analog" refers to the data being transmitted. there are variations in how an antenna can be shaped to better account for the differences in how the data is processed on the receiving end, but you can still transmit digital signals with those big sears tower antennas. Why do you think the HD antennas are the exact same shape? The BW of "whip" antennas is huge, so you don't have to worry about the sears antennas being obsoleted. So I guess you don't need to worry about sears' height being increased either. it's meaningless anyway

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
^^^I agree, that's why I re-posted eventhorizon5's photograph.

The two floors immediately below the observation deck
should be commanding some of the highest rent in Chicago.

And yet the two floors look like a warehouse of satellite dishes
and discarded boxes. (almost to the point of being a fire hazard)
If I had to make an educated guess I would say that it's not so much a storage room "warehouse" as you seem to be suggesting, but a floor that's being used for telecommunications transmission. . . it's not only television stations that have equipment on top of tall buildings. . . you probably have everything from radio, television, cellular, GPS and any other variety of microwave to line-of-sight laser transmission equipment mounted up there. . .

. . .

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 6:00 PM

^^^ good point, and I'm sure they can charge a large telecommunications company more money to use the space as a broadcasting point per year than a tenant would pay to live or work there.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 8:10 PM
Future Mayor of Chicago

For those that have been asking the 98th floor is the highest floor used for regular office space. The 99th is a special event floor that can be rented out for private events like wedding receptions or parties and it also doubles as a secondary observation deck in case the 103rd has to be closed for some reason and was used for the first six months of this year when the glass box renovations were going on. The 100th, 101st and 102nd floors are used for telecommunications equipment and storage. The 103rd of course is the Skydeck.

On another note, maybe its my OCD by I wish they would open up that forth glass box in the Skydeck already d*** it! It looks so asymetrical with just the three, two on one side and one on the other. It looked fine in late June and a few times thereafter when I saw all four boxes out. Two boxes on each side with a regular window segment in the window looks just fine, it just looks a little odd right now. What the hell is so special about that fourth box anyways that it is taking so much time to open it? I called the Skydeck in late August and they said then it would be open "very soon". I haven't been up there yet since The Ledge opened and I won't until they open that d*** fourth box!

"Auto-centric suburban sprawl is the devil physically manifesting himself in the built environment."

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 9:14 PM
Chicago Kid

110- mechanical penthouse roof
109 - main roof
104-108 - are internal bracings + trusses/ventilation+louvers etc
103 - observation deck
100-102 - telecommunications equipment + storage
99 - special event floor
98 - last floor of offices

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 9:23 PM

I did not know there was a special event floor, any wedding parties up there?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2009, 9:35 PM

Lights in the sky!!

Anyone notice/know about the bright flood light on the edge of the roof on the North face of the tower, right near the northwest corner?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2009, 11:36 PM

^^^So 100-102 is storage. What a waste.
Seems odd that there isn't room for the dishes/boxes somewhere on 104-108.

Floors 100-102 could be a world renowned restaurant ala 'Windows On The World'.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 30, 2009 at 12:02 AM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2009, 11:55 PM

That said....here's a cool pic that I've never seen before.
(thanks to 'obt' for leading me to this pic)

zeusofhollywood at flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeusofh...7615748797666/

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 2, 2009 at 9:08 PM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2009, 1:33 AM
Chicago Kid

Quote:
^^^So 100-102 is storage. What a waste.
Seems odd that there isn't room for the dishes/boxes somewhere on 104-108.

Floors 100-102 could be a world renowned restaurant ala 'Windows On The World'.
Ya, I don't get why it's used as storage...? The telecom probably generates huge revenue though, more than a restaurant on the floor would.

For now there is the Signature Room on the Hancock.

Thread Derail: What is at the top of AON? Is it offices all the way to the top?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2009, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Since you're all talking transmission and broadcasting.
What the heck goes on in the two floors immediately below the skydeck?

posted by eventhorizon5

Is it normal to have that many satellite dishes INSIDE a building?
Maybe I'm naive, but I would expect them to be on the roof.
Shoot they should have named it the PS (public storage) tower.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2009, 4:48 AM

Quote:
That said....here's a cool pic that I've never seen before.
(thanks to 'obt' for leading me to this pic)

zuesofhollywood at flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeusofh...7615748797666/
Awesome! Amazing to think how much the city was changed when all the giants were built around 1970!

Old Posted Sep 30, 2009, 6:33 AM
Future Mayor of Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexxed82 View Post
Anyone notice/know about the bright flood light on the edge of the roof on the North face of the tower, right near the northwest corner?
I have no clue but I have noticed it the past couple of nights, Its so bright I can see it clearly from my place near Cermak and California.

"Auto-centric suburban sprawl is the devil physically manifesting himself in the built environment."

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 5:41 AM
I'm Back!

Alright, I spent over 6 years in radio so I can answer the question about the floors with the microwave dishes in Willis Tower.

Let's look at this picture of mine for a recent example here taken this past Spring.

The city of Chicago uses some of that space for relays within the cities (metro area) EMA, Public Services, and whatever. Those dishes provide "Line of Sight" to other towers in the area that serve as a repeater station. Essentially, it blankets the area with radio frequencies used by municpalities. Also, some of the dishes act as what's called "STL Antenneas". When a radio station has their broadcast towers off site, as is the case in Chicago, they have to have a way to get the signal from the station to the tower. They utilize a small transmitter at the station that "shoots" the music or talk signal from the "STL Tower" (with a dish identical to the ones on the upper floors of Willis) to the Transmitter on the 100, 101, and 102nd floors of Willis Tower. The transmitters for the radio stations in Chicago are located on these floors. Also located up there are the transmitters for the TV stations that rent space on the roof antenneas of Willis. The radio transmitters are not large at all, but they usually have two or three in case of backup. The TV transmitters on the otherhand are massive. These can easily take up a third of the floor space up there and require quite a bit of cooling as well. Most TV stations kept their "old" analog tv transmitters in case they needed them, so that's even more space.

Now, since I covered the whole transmitter debate here I want to add this as well. All these transmitters and repeaters are maintained by the stations engineers. These guys typically work two or three shifts and have work "stations" or work "shops" near their rented floor space where their transmitters are located. They have to be able to repair and service the systems when they go down so aside from their own personal offices up there, they will have a dedicated "work shop" for work on the antenneas and the transmitters. These floors are only accessible by special security clearance and keys and the roof of Willis Tower is only open to them on Monday's and Tuesday's for security and insurance reasons. This means there is usually ALOT of work going on up there at any given point. I hope this helps explain what these floors are used for.

And yes, a microwave dish and STL dish can work with a payne of glass in front of them. That doesn't affect the signal whatsoever.

The "Building" that is on the roof of Willis Tower is a mechanical house for the elevators and boilers that are on the floors directly below them. Access to that is through a couple of doors or a hatch in the actual roof of the tower (the hatch opens up to the penthouse floor).

FWIW, this is the 99th floor, or the "Backup Skydeck". I have been to both the 99th and the 103rd (and walked out on the "Ledges" too) so I got a taste of both.

Sorry for any spelling mistakes. It's late and i'm dreadfully tired tonight.

Here are a couple of shots from my upcoming thread on Chicago!!!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 12:39 AM

an amazing building

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 2:48 AM
dream fast

^ Great report, Lexy. Nice shots too.^

11-02

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 2:37 PM
I'm Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
^ Great report, Lexy. Nice shots too.^

11-02
Hey thanks alot!! I really appreciate that.

Having some extensive experience in broadcasting does help. LOL!!

In all seriousness, the "goings-on" of those floors have fascinated me since first going up in the tower. I have a few friends that work in radio up in Chicago and they have actually been to the "transmitter floor" of John Hancock Center but work with people who have been to the Willis Tower's "Transmitter Floors" before. That's really where I got most of my info from, plus I have a friend who works in Willis and knows quite a bit about those floors.

It's funny because when they built the tower, the basically finished out those two floors and when they decided to put most of the transmitters in them, they had to go in and "gut" them so to speak. Basically, they had to strip parts of them down to the nuts and bolts so that some transmission systems were easy to access. Kind of funny when you think about it with all the time and labor that went into making them "office ready" and they never were used in that capacity.

Thanks again!

One thing I meant to add to post above is the water tanks in Willis Tower. If anyone has seen the 70's move Towering Inferno, then you know about water tanks in skyscrapers. Well, Willis is no exception to this rule or "movie myth". It does have water tanks at the top and there has to be room for them and the pumps that help keep pressure built going into the tanks and leaving them. This helps regulate pressure throughout the upper floors and allows fire fighting hoses to have pressure, restrooms to function, etc. If, God forbid, something should happen I don't think "blowing the water tanks" would do much to help like they did in the movie though. LOL!!!

FWIW, there was a fire on the 101st floor back on December 6th, 2007. It was inside a transmitter cabinet and really more smoke than it was fire. It was a non issue to say the least. Here is the CBS 2 story about it. http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/fi....2.333875.html

Last edited by Lexy; Nov 3, 2009 at 2:57 PM.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 3:33 AM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexy View Post
the roof of Willis Tower is only open to them on Monday's and Tuesday's for security and insurance reasons.
Are there any restrictions or protective clothing required when working on the roof because of the high RF levels?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture