HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Vancouver House in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 9:10 PM

i would love to see this tower, Vancouver's Turn and the Burrard Gateway towers all u/c at the same time.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 9:39 PM

Who's picture of the Granville bridge was that? I know it was someone's on here, used in the initial leaked render. If that keeps coming up everywhere, I'd be demanding some credit or royalties.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind View Post
Who's picture of the Granville bridge was that? I know it was someone's on here, used in the initial leaked render. If that keeps coming up everywhere, I'd be demanding some credit or royalties.
You mean the one that was put out by BIG? and then put on here from the city of Vancouver's site?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 11:31 PM

even Jeff Meggs likes this one! (oops, hope that doesn't jinx it in some way)

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusLand View Post
You mean the one that was put out by BIG? and then put on here from the city of Vancouver's site?
Yea, someone pointed out that the background opic, without render, was posted here before. I'm not trying to shit on anyone's parade, infact I think it's kinda cool that such a random pic is getting such publicity (albeit with slight modifications).

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Yea, someone pointed out that the background opic, without render, was posted here before. I'm not trying to shit on anyone's parade, infact I think it's kinda cool that such a random pic is getting such publicity (albeit with slight modifications).
Good illustration of why it's so important that we cite sources on our photos and quotes. It's not just 'us' that use this site as a resource.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Surprisingly this proposal has gathered 0 responses on the Canadian threads...

I find that odd given just how amazing this proposal is in its design and use of unique urban space!

I must say, with Hotel Georgia, 1021 West Hastings, Vancouver's Turn (fingers crossed), Burrard Gateway and now this tower, while Toronto may be building countless 200m+ towers, I feel that our taller stock (140 to 190 meters) is of much higher design quality. Just my opinion...
van just neesd another 10 yrs to go up to 200s, since now it moved itself to the 150s....but it's coming, dont be worried.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 7:41 PM
Website Manager

Quote:
The original photo is on Flickr by a chick named Lisa - http://www.flickr.com/photos/88364173@N00/3421521443/

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 8:42 PM

From the roof of the Wall Centre too! Not many times do we get that view.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 9:23 PM
BANNED

OK if we're gonna finally do something like this...let's do it right for God's sake.
First of all - TALLER

Second - those wedges need to match the tower. They look stupid and unrelated. They look like trendy warehouses.

Third - Let's light up the damned thing.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 5:50 AM
ARTchitecture

Why isn't there a drawing for this one yet?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterprinciple View Post
OK if we're gonna finally do something like this...let's do it right for God's sake.
First of all - TALLER

Second - those wedges need to match the tower. They look stupid and unrelated. They look like trendy warehouses.

Third - Let's light up the damned thing.
Taller buildings aren't always better. I think a tower reaching the height of Shangri-la in the area would look a bit isolated around the Granville bridgehead. Personally I rather think ~200m towers should go in the CBD. Politically you have view cones to worry about.

The wedges look fine because they look fine from the street rendering. You aren't going to see them in the skyline anyways, and at those heights focus should be paid on its urban integration. I think sleek, multi-story glass facade is more impressive than waffle textures from close up. I suppose the tower and the podium can correlate better though.

As for lights, it isn't going to fly with it being a condo with more condos nearby. Lighting the tower up beyond soft lighting is going to elicit tremendous NIMBY opposition, not unlike the feature on 1499 West Pender.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 11:23 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Here is the taller building adivisory committee for this project, I'll let you know when the date is set.

Quote:
Mr. Stefan Behnisch is Principal of Behnisch Architekten in Stuttgart, Germany, and Behnisch Architects in Los Angeles, Boston and Munich. Stefan’s firm has designed some of the world’s most distinctive, ecologically sensitive buildings including: the Institute of Forestry and Nature Research, Netherlands; Norddeutsche Landesbank, Germany; and the Genzyme Center, Massachusetts. He is a recipient of a Good Design
Award in the category of “People”, presented by the Chicago Athenaeum and the European Centre for Architecture Art Design and Urban Studies, in 2007 a Global Award for Sustainable Architecture, in 2004 an Environmental Champion Award, presented by Interiors & Sources Magazine, USA and in 2002 an Award "Trophée Sommet de la Terre et Bâtiment" for Sustainable Architecture, France. He is a BDA, RIBA and AIA member, an NCARB certified architect, and an AIA Honorary Fellow.

Mr. Peter Clewes has a reputation as one of Canada’s most adventurous architects, behind some of the most innovative residential buildings in North America. Peter’s notable projects include the award-winning Terrence Donnelly Centre for Cellular and Biomolecular Research at U of T; the Kaiser Computer Science and Engineering Building at UBC; mixed use development projects in Canada, the US and Europe; and the first ‘green’ student housing in Canada: the Pond Road Residence at York University. He has received awards from the Ontario Association of Architects (OAA), Canadian Architect, the City of Toronto, the Royal Institute of British Architects, Architectural Record and Business Week Magazines, and the OAA. In 2005 Peter was appointed to the Waterfront Design Review Panel for the Toronto Waterfront Revitalization Corporation.

Mr. Walter Francl is a graduate of both the University of British Columbia and Harvard University with Bachelor and Master Degrees in architecture. His early work experience was with Waisman Dewar Grout Carter and with James Cheng Architect, providing a broad exposure to institutional, commercial and residential building typologies. Walter has been in private practice since 1988, and as the sole principal of Walter Francl Architecture Inc., he is the lead designer for all projects in the office including the award winning Creekside Community Centre and SEFC Energy Utility Centre. Walter has also been active within the profession, serving on numerous professional committees including the Vancouver Urban Design Panel and Development
Permit Board, and is a past president of the AIBC. Walter is the Juror for 2011
Canadian Architect Awards, and is currently serving as a member of the City of Surrey’s Advisory Design Panel.

Mr. Mark Ostry has been practicing architecture for over 20 years. He is a graduate of the Technical University of Nova Scotia and received a Bachelor of Environmental Design Studies in 1984 and a Bachelor of Architecture in 1985. Established in 1992, the work of Acton Ostry Architects demonstrates a continuing commitment to the making of architecture that responds thoughtfully to local culture, topography, climate and to lessons learned from buildings inherited from the past. The work spans educational,
community and cultural, religious, residential and mixed-use buildings. The firm has received over 50 civic, provincial and national design awards including: 8 Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia Awards; 4 Canadian Architect Awards of Excellence; a Best in Canada Award; and, a national Outside the Box Award for exceptional, innovative design. His practice is a leader in sustainable design with several public projects having received LEED Gold certification. In 2010, his firm was the first ever to receive multiple awards in the same year from the national Sustainable Architecture
and Building awards program for the redevelopment of the Sauder School of Business at UBC and the mixed-use Alhambra + Garage + Cordage + Grand + Terminus buildings located in historic Gastown. In addition, his practice has received 8 City of Vancouver Heritage Awards and 6 Canadian and American Wood Council Awards, including theprestigious Ron Thom Award. In 2007, the Canadian Wood Council presented ActonOstry Architects with a special Firm Leadership Award in recognition of their innovative use of wood. In addition to the profession, Mark has a strong commitment to community. He has served on the City of Vancouver Urban Design Panel and the City of Vancouver Artist Live / Work Studio Implementation Committee. In 2011, he was appointed to the Squamish Nation Advisory Design Panel. He is a member of the Canada Green Building Council and has served as an advisor to the Canada Council and the City of Vancouver Cultural Planning Department. Mark has served on the Boards of several Vancouver cultural institutions, including The Stanley Theatre Society, Vancouver TheaterSports, and is presently Chair of the Pacific Cinematheque. In 2008, Mark was elected to the College of Fellows of the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 12:54 AM

Clewes can probably help with the glass wedges.

Interesting to note that the higher buildings gateway site includes the corner that Westbank doesn't own.

See last page here:
http://vancouver.ca/ctyclerk/cclerk/...cuments/a1.pdf

Although I doubt that the owner of the corner site would be able to go to 425 ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echowinds View Post
The wedges look fine because they look fine from the street rendering. You aren't going to see them in the skyline anyways, and at those heights focus should be paid on its urban integration. I think sleek, multi-story glass facade is more impressive than waffle textures from close up. I suppose the tower and the podium can correlate better though.
I think the concern is that sleek glass wedges don't have the fine grain that would create a desirable shopping experience.
You'll need awnings for weather protection, then there'll be signage affixed to the buildings. If those aren't considered ahead of time, you'll get boxy signs attached to a glass curtain wall and cheap fabric awnings sheltering cafe tables.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 10:50 PM

An interesting article about this project by Lisa Rochon in the March 10th issue of the Globe & Mail ("Is Vancouver ready for Danish architect Bjarke Ingels? Here’s hoping").

Quote:
"Vancouver, now is the time to bring it. Make this an extra-tall tower worth bothering to build. Allow its architecture to achieve the right kind of height and sense of proportion, even if it means breaking free of sacrosanct view corridors and height restrictions that require buildings to be lopped off, sideswiped or never built at all. Granville Gateway should likely go even higher, for an elegant curve of its torso. It’s by building forgettable architecture and poking shards of insignificance into the sky that you damage the sublime profile of the mountains."
Source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...2364282/page1/

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 11:35 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis_Van View Post

An interesting article about this project by Lisa Rochon in the March 10th issue of the Globe & Mail ("Is Vancouver ready for Danish architect Bjarke Ingels? Here’s hoping").

Source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...2364282/page1/
One day, either out of economic necessity or self-disgust, a New Generation will finally show the door to the small town Old Guard and its coterie of Height Police and Architectural Headmasters.

Last edited by Prometheus; Mar 13, 2012 at 3:27 AM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 2:45 AM
ARTchitecture

Can someone please make a drawing of this for the database? It's too advanced for my skills.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 9:09 PM

first sign

the rezoning sign has gone up on the garage. This is actually encouraging that project might actually truly happen. unlike our never getting started twisting tower of Georgia

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 9:29 PM

You guys really need to look at the developers behind certain projects when assessing their likelihood of coming to fruition.

Westbank is a developer that does what they say they are going to do.

Holborn, not so much.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 9:33 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Bingo
This project is pretty well a sure thing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver