HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 7:51 AM

^ Thanks for the story. It's kinda about time they did something like this though, seeing as they're the authority. Maybe originally they had seen Emporis and thought the public was already being well served.

Why the link to Blair Kamin's bio page on Wikipedia?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 3:03 PM

1600 N. Ashland looks great, I didn't realize the floorplates would have an interesting shape. Still wish we had a better render of what this looks like. I'd like to know the materials and colors of the staggered solid panels.

I'm also curious what the Wendy's side of the building will look like. Part of it does face an alley, so I image there will be some fenestration.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
1600 N. Ashland looks great, I didn't realize the floorplates would have an interesting shape. Still wish we had a better render of what this looks like. I'd like to know the materials and colors of the staggered solid panels.

I'm also curious what the Wendy's side of the building will look like. Part of it does face an alley, so I image there will be some fenestration.
You know I missed it in the original article, but you would think that whoever wrote that article would have gotten the address right.

1600 N Ashland would be Ashland and North, half a mile North of the site.

It is either 1100 block of N Ashland, or as described else where, 1601 W Division.

SSDD

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 12:53 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post

In the previous plan, the developers were looking to seriously tart up that facade with advertising due to its high visibility from the busy Division corridor.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 6:47 PM
dream fast

1601 W Division model from a developer meeting about a month ago. Design revisions and more glass is projected. The west facing elevator tower is proposed to feature a large art image with a sponsor attached.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 11:08 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
1601 W Division model from a developer meeting about a month ago. Design revisions and more glass is projected. The west facing elevator tower is proposed to feature a large art image with a sponsor attached.
That's some wild tablecloth

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 12:35 AM
TL;DR

My thoughts too... Lol.

I don't think the new facade is actually rippled or wavy. It's a trick of the line weights. I'm guessing that the solid panels will have some thickness to them and stick out several inches from the glass, giving the facade some handsome depth and texture. Or they could do the reverse, and design the glass system to hold the glass panels several inches outboard of the solid panels. This would be an inversion of the typical pattern but no less beautiful.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 2:04 AM

The drawing shows a shallow indentation in the entire facade facing Ashland and Division. In fact you can see the angled shadow line of the parapet, and even a triangular shaped canopy below.

However, the model does not.

The angle might look quite nice. And as you mention the facade could be enriched through projection of the solid panels. I think people are asking for more glass because the drawings and model suggest something that is too heavy and dull....like precast or something. That doesn't have to be the case. The panels could have different tones or textures...possibly a glossy appearance that gives the illusion of glass and adds some color. I'm kind of tired of everything being all glass these days. Buildings need more color and texture IMO The solid panels provide plenty of opportunities.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 2:54 AM
TL;DR

I think the model is the previous iteration of the design.

I agree about the opportunities the solid panels present. Even precast doesn't have to be faux-limestone, nor does it have to look heavy and dead.

I don't know what's in the budget, but zinc would be sweet.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 1:41 AM

Tower crane being assembled at Jones College Prep.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 2:15 AM

That building at Wabash / Roosevelt, emerged from its cocoon:

2012-02-27_08-59-46_460 by montasauraus, on Flickr

Digging around at East-West University:

2012-02-22_17-04-01_579 by montasauraus, on Flickr

Pilsen Dorm:

2012-02-18_14-14-43_794 by montasauraus, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
Agreed, more glass would be better. The staggered metal panels relating to the glass will be a challenge.
I seriously doubt you'll end up seeing the glass and the metal panels staggered at different levels. I don't really even see that in the picture. It seems like the staggered effect is more of an optical illusion than anything.

Even if that was the intent, that's the kind of stuff you only see on institutional or government projects where money is just thrown down a hole because the owner will be the owner for the life of the building. Developers are in the business to make money, period. Once the numbers start rolling in, a staggered facade would be one of the first things to go.

At the end of the day, my bet is that you'll see that building with composite metal panels attached to a metal stud & gypsum board wall, and slab loaded storefront windows with spandrel glass/panels as "trim" at the slab before you see a curtain wall, because it will be the cheapest way to do it.

For everyone's sake we can only hope they choose to at least go with Centria metal panels or maybe Alucabond so they don't oil can the building into oblivion after a few years.

Free Nowhereman...fat girls need lovin' too

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 6:14 AM
TL;DR

Possible Eataly in Chicago!

Quote:
Eataly, New York’s Italian Market, Is Scouting Near Michigan Avenue
Posted Feb 22, 2012 at 03:29 PM
By Penny Pollack, Graham Meyer, and Carly Boers

Five Questions for Joe Bastianich

Among his many business and media pursuits, Bastianich partners with Mario Batali and others on New York’s massive Italian market Eataly.

Dish: Is Eataly coming to Chicago?
Joe Bastianich: We’re actively scouting. Very exciting. We [Bastianich and Eataly CFO Adam Saper] were there last week. We think we have seen a few good options, but nothing confirmed yet.

D: What would be your ideal location?
JB: Somewhere off Michigan Avenue. Not on, but close.

D: What’s the square footage of Eataly in New York?
JB: 50,000. [Ed: The Chicago French Market covers 15,000 square feet.] Maybe Chicago will be a little smaller, but not that much.

D: Once you pin down a Chicago site, how long until an Eataly would open?
JB: ASAP. Probably early next year.
Hopefully they can find some sort of space with character instead of some former HomeGoods or something. I don't know where they can find 50000 SF in a historic building, though.

I haven't been to the one in NY, but the one in Bologna was pretty cool, and I understand the NY store is above and beyond that.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 7:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Possible Eataly in Chicago!
Hopefully they can find some sort of space with character instead of some former HomeGoods or something. I don't know where they can find 50000 SF in a historic building, though.
I don't have that much of a picture of exactly what Eataly is, but did Sullivan Center's basement and 2nd floor end up getting taken? I'm not sure how large either is, but the whole former Carson's floorplates were huge, and having entrance access off of Madison and Wabash (close to Millennium Park) could be great for a food place like this.

Also, I don't know if Macy's basement is doing well or poorly, but just leasing out a huge block from there would put them in a good location and drive traffic into Macy's, if such a creative arrangement were possible.

If street level is necessary, maybe that redevelopment of the Old Navy building could happen sooner rather than later. Also, the Borders space needs a tenant...

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 9:17 AM
TL;DR

Eataly in NY is at Broadway and 23rd. I've been inside the building, but before Eataly opened. It enjoys prime frontage on Madison Square. I guess State Street would be comparable to that type of environment - not super-luxury or tourist-centric but very busy, dense, urban, with a mix of offices and hotels nearby.

Bastianich talks about being off Michigan Avenue, so I assumed he meant the Mag Mile (as most Chicagoans would). As an out-of-towner, though, he might not distinguish among the various stretches of Michigan. So, yeah, Sullivan Center might be a possibility. The L's presence works against the visibility of a Madison/Wabash location, but the impending demolition of the station above will bring a bit more light down.

Unfortunately Sullivan Center is in the Loop, so it's pretty sleepy at night. Plus, Bastianich et al. might have concerns about locating next door to a Target. Eataly's snootiness and pretension is the antithesis of Target.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 2:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
I don't have that much of a picture of exactly what Eataly is, but did Sullivan Center's basement and 2nd floor end up getting taken? I'm not sure how large either is, but the whole former Carson's floorplates were huge, and having entrance access off of Madison and Wabash (close to Millennium Park) could be great for a food place like this.
If I had to wager I'd guess Carson's floors are about 20,000-25,000 SF each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Unfortunately Sullivan Center is in the Loop, so it's pretty sleepy at night. Plus, Bastianich et al. might have concerns about locating next door to a Target. Eataly's snootiness and pretension is the antithesis of Target.
Not sure if it's the antithesis of Target, it's more the antithesis of Wal-Mart. Target is known for selling the same crap, but with a classier image accompanying it.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 3:44 PM

Well, there was the planned LEY food court at Block 37 that fell through, 21k sq ft, if they could be convinced to take it.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 5:54 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

That Greenway garage on Kinzie that Fox and Obel was looking at would be a good location, but only has 16,000 square feet, so that's probably not big enough for what they want to do, unless they can also convert the second floor to retail instead of parking.

And what became of the Bockwinkle's space in the basement of 700 N Michigan?

I don't know what he considerers close to Mich Ave, but the Kingsbury Park area could use a grocery store.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 6:18 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
If I had to wager I'd guess Carson's floors are about 20,000-25,000 SF each.
What's the wager? Each floor of the Sullivan Center is roughly 88,000 sq. ft.: 47,600 sq. ft. on the State Street side, and 40,120 sq. ft. in the Wabash buildings.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 6:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
What's the wager? Each floor of the Sullivan Center is roughly 88,000 sq. ft.: 47,600 sq. ft. on the State Street side, and 40,120 sq. ft. in the Wabash buildings.
You are talking about the entire block, I'm talking about just the Carson Pirie Scott building. The actual Sullivan designed structure(s if you count the expansion and original sections separately) are probably almost exactly 25,000 SF if if the entire state street half of the block is less than 50,000 SF.

Also, it's interesting that that are marketing the entire block as contiguous floor plates. One would assume the floors don't line up perfectly between all of the buildings on the block or was the block designed with floor sharing in mind?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development