HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Marine Gateway North Residential in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
Hey no problem. I'll give you a tour of the place if you'd like sometime.

As for the skytrain noise it is somewhat noticeable but I would say the traffic on Marine and Cambie is louder. It all kind of blends into white noise and doesn't really bother me.
Being down on the 9th floor however the skytrain noise, especially the constant automated announcements from the station are intrusive. I would not be surprised if residents on the lower floors start complaining about the level of noise once the weather starts warming up and they have to keep their windows open.
No aircon? I'd figured that would be standard by about now.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 8:21 PM

Nice view, vanman!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 11:46 PM

Congratulations on the new home, Vanman. Thanks for the photos, too.

With regards to the Canada Line station announcements, I find them booming and could easily have their dB level reduced substantially and still be wholly audible.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
Hey no problem. I'll give you a tour of the place if you'd like sometime.

As for the skytrain noise it is somewhat noticeable but I would say the traffic on Marine and Cambie is louder. It all kind of blends into white noise and doesn't really bother me.
Being down on the 9th floor however the skytrain noise, especially the constant automated announcements from the station are intrusive. I would not be surprised if residents on the lower floors start complaining about the level of noise once the weather starts warming up and they have to keep their windows open.
Have they removed that temporary roof they built over the station? If not, it might be a good idea to keep it and glass it over completely to insulate the sound from the station.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 5:45 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

T&T opened today at MDG

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 7:59 AM

The second level retail units finally had some of their units leased. Only recently did three units get consolidated for a "high-end Chinese restaurant" and another unit under conditional offer. Only two units remain now. It would be nice to see some decent mid-range restaurants other than a "high-end Chinese restaurant" on one end of the spectrum and a Subway on the other end of the spectrum.

http://www.collierscanada.com/servic...1c8195f0b667bb

On another note, the pedestrian walkway connecting the ground floor retail high street to the station concourse is now open. In other words, you don't have to walk down a flight of stairs to the bus loop and up another flight of stairs to connect between the two areas.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 8:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezied View Post
The second level retail units finally had some of their units leased. Only recently did three units get consolidated for a "high-end Chinese restaurant" and another unit under conditional offer. Only two units remain now. It would be nice to see some decent mid-range restaurants other than a "high-end Chinese restaurant" on one end of the spectrum and a Subway on the other end of the spectrum.
At least there'll be lots of parking there.

I thought there's a pub going in?
Yeah - here it is - Dublin Crossing Pub - which will have a liquor store.
It's 2 levels, since the pics show a staircase and the 3rd pic below is labelled "upstairs".

http://dublincrossingvancouver.com/

Pics dated November 15th, 2015:

http://dublincrossingvancouver.com/gallery/

Last edited by officedweller; Dec 17, 2015 at 8:27 AM.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
No aircon? I'd figured that would be standard by about now.
Aircon in Vancouver condo developments is still quite rare, even in the higher end developments it's not standard. Unlike here in Toronto where it would be unthinkable to build without it, the climate in SW BC just doesn't necessitate it.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
the climate in SW BC just doesn't necessitate it.
Tell that to London Drugs who does a MONSTER business in fans and portable A/C units during the summer months. Vancouver condos are practically dry saunas in the summertime. I have yet to find one immune to that condition, and as a result would only ever buy one with A/C.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 10:15 PM

Hmm, well I suppose you are in the minority, as buyers just don't seem to place a premium on it. If they did you would see it in more units.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 10:24 PM

In Toronto, where A/C is more common, I think a lot of condos have their own heat pump within the suite (rather than building-wide central A/C) - that reduces the need for ducting and easements and shared connections between units. That would eat up square footage, so I can see why developers wouldn't go that route. It's also noisy.

If you install central A/C, buyers could view that as an added maintenance expense - so it would depend on the market segment the developer is aiming for. In addition, Vancouver's generally low ceiling heights may create challenges for duct placement (to reach living areas) in a lot of projects.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Tell that to London Drugs who does a MONSTER business in fans and portable A/C units during the summer months. Vancouver condos are practically dry saunas in the summertime. I have yet to find one immune to that condition, and as a result would only ever buy one with A/C.
I got a mobile a/c unit for the handful of days/nights that get too hot for me to sleep comfortably. I would rather that than paying for a central a/c unit in a condo, not to mention built in a/c tends to cut into the ceiling height. They are low enough

Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Aircon in Vancouver condo developments is still quite rare, even in the higher end developments it's not standard. Unlike here in Toronto where it would be unthinkable to build without it, the climate in SW BC just doesn't necessitate it.

Unless you buy a new unit in Richmond. Almost all the newer buildings have AC. Must be due to the plane noise.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Yeah I looked at some place in Concord Pacific this summer and they were brutally hot. I'd heard one of the towers on Marinaside was retrofitting with a/c but not sure if that was just a rumour.

Marine Gateway was billed as affordable, so one can't expect it to have all the bells and whistles. There has to be a tradeoff somewhere.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 5:13 AM
BANNED

Why do I get the feeling that you posters are all single with no wife/husband or kids!? Does Vancouver offer affordable accommodations for young families? I'm not so sure that Vancouver is a city to raise kids.

Raising kids in expensive high rise boxes with the potential for noise pollution above/below/besides one's condo/apartment etc. and with little or no open air/play space at home for the family to enjoy is a little too much to endure!

Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliplanner1 View Post
Why do I get the feeling that you posters are all single with no wife/husband or kids!? Does Vancouver offer affordable accommodations for young families? I'm not so sure that Vancouver is a city to raise kids.

Raising kids in expensive high rise boxes with the potential for noise pollution above/below/besides one's condo/apartment etc. and with little or no open air/play space at home for the family to enjoy is a little too much to endure!
What an absurd comment. In most of the world's urban areas (especially in Europe, Asia, and Latin America) apartment living is the norm.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 10:53 AM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
What an absurd comment. In most of the world's urban areas (especially in Europe, Asia, and Latin America) apartment living is the norm.
Now, Now. There is a valid point in there somewhere. Plus, the rest of the world doesn't stack up to what we spoiled western citizens are used to. Plus again, be careful with declaring norms: they are always changing, don't line up well with aspirations and expectations, and are a bit hard to define. Apartment living might be in the majority across the world, but its not as if it defines 80% of residences. There are a lot of shanty towns, but more to the point, there is an immense amount of ground based housing almost everywhere, including "Europe, Asia, and Latin America." I'm not sure apartments are dominant enough to use the word "norm."

Plus again, why are you jumping on the guy?
Plus again, and in the end, who really cares. (just kidding)

Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 5:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
The "norm" Jebby doesn't make such a statement by itself "absurd". Increasing (housing) density (and limiting access to private social spaces) does and can have a "dark side" socially in terms of promoting public health (mental and physical) concerns.

Many scholarly research papers have argued that the (negative) social impacts of high density housing are inconclusive. They however all acknowledge that high density/hish rise housing TENDS to limit easy access to the outdoor receational spaces needed by the young and old for physical health related recreational exercise alongside the interpersonal/mental health benefits of the easier social interaction opportunities that the potentially friendlier environment of lower density housing TENDS to offer.

Last edited by Caliplanner1; Dec 18, 2015 at 5:53 PM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 7:37 PM

TnT is now open

Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 7:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by idunno View Post
TnT is now open
It would be cool to see pictures of shoppers using the mall area of the Marine Gateway project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver