HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 7:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver View Post
Hello Everyone! I have been reading the Transportation & Infrastructure section for a long time, but I think this is my first post.

I have made a fantasy map of the transit network in the Tri-Cities. I plan on finishing the map and completing all of Greater Vancouver.

Here is a description of the new system and lines:

Skytrain (Thick Lines)
Evergreen Extension (Green)
Extended by one station north up to David Avenue, and three stations east into Port Coquitlam. Port Coquitlam alignment follows Lougheed Highway.
Interesting ideas!
I think I disagree with your alignment of the PoCo. Rather than following Lougheed, I believe the line should enter downtown PoCo. There is more potential for higher densities there, rather than serving the SFH neighbourhoods next to Lougheed.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 3:55 PM

What if we attempt to remove people from the Skytrain? I wonder if a Guildford to Vancouver or Carvolth to Vancouver service via Highway 1 would work. I'm only trying to bring the idea of Sound Transit to Vancouver, where they don't force transfers from bus to LRT.

Theres only 1 spur of the line that goes into the Downtown core and that is the Waterfront to Broadway part.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 1:50 AM

Dark Blue = Expo Line
Yellow = Millennium Line
Green = Evergreen Line
Light Blue = Canada Line
Purple = West Coast Express
Solid Orange = Bus Rapid Transit
Spotted Orange = B-Line buses
Gray = Long Distance Trains

Overview

One great advantage that we have to our Skytrain system is its interlined portions of the network. Currently someone from Burnaby could theoretically hop on the Skytrain from Waterfront and take it all the way to their home in Sperling Lake while the person beside them can take a train all the way to Surrey. Because of the frequency of the trains in our current system, the interlined portions actually lends itself as an efficient 'sorting' system for commuters without (arguably) overcrowding in one station; and at the same time reduce the number of transfers. I am looking to exploit that advantage as well as other advantages that are overlooked in our system.

I don't think that I got the shape right for the Millennium line, so my apologies for the rookie-mistake there .

Expo Line

The Expo line gets extended south to Langley Central. It becomes the backbone of Surrey's transportation like it became the backbone to Vancouver's network. Surrey and Langley will then work together to redesign transit routes to feed into this new spine. As it has been proven with Translink's data, most of Surrey's and Langley's commuters are commuting within Surrey. Therefore this strong spine of rapid transit is warranted; and with it all being elevated, it makes this part of the extension very inexpensive when compared to the rest of my map.

The Expo line also gets extended past Waterfront station as the Hastings underground line. It provides proper rapid transit for those living in these densely populated areas of Vancouver's downtown neighbourhoods. This extension also provides access to SFU at the base of Burnaby mountain, and also serves as a relief line for those commuting to and from downtown and Coquitlam. The terminating station at this end of the line is Burquitlam, and it is interlined so that more trains may service the old Expo line route, as that route will still remain the busiest portion of the transit network.

Notice that Granville station is missing? Don't worry, it is still there but it is renamed as Vancouver City Centre station. And this station will be a transfer point where a commuter can transfer to any Skytrain line in the network so that it is convenient for the average commuter.

Millennium Line

Now let me introduce you to the Goliath known as the Millennium line. This beast solves the 99B-Line over crowding issues, serves partially as a second alternative for people south of Fraser to get to the airport, serves as a relief line to the south, and also shows Richmond and Surrey some love at the same time! With all of these functions and purposes, the Millennium line becomes the heart of the Skytrain network.

When it hits Alma, it's all over-ground and elevated from there as it takes advantage of the less densely populated, and industrial zoned areas to cut costs from being underground.

Evergreen Line

I bet you thought you would never see this guy again? Well you thought wrong!

Rising from the grave, the Evergreen line serves the people of Coquitlam, Port Moody, and Port Coquitlam. But it doesn't stop there; it goes all the way into downtown Vancouver's west end (which needed some loving) and into the heart of North Vancouver. When it hits downtown, its all downhill and underground from there as to not disturb the densely populated neighbourhoods and Stanley Park's natural beauty.

The only transfer station within downtown Vancouver, is the Vancouver City Centre station for the Evergreen line.

Canada Line

Hopefully with longer trains, this line gets a simple extension out to Steveston which will have express buses to the Tsawwassen Ferry terminal (moved from Bridgeport).

Rapid Bus Transit

As you can see in the picture, Surrey really takes advantage of the Bus Rapid transit. I mean, why overspend on LRT when you can move people more efficiently and just as quickly with BRT? Especially if the commute from North to South (or vice versa) doesn't justify a skytrain line, you can build some extra roads and bus shelters to move people comfortably. And because Surrey has the space, it can do this expansion comfortably, and connect the people South of Fraser at an efficient pace.

B-Line

Here we see Burnaby take advantage of its location with a B-Line that links up people in a North-South corridor to four different lines of skytrain.

Vancouver

Vancouver will remain the centre for jobs and tourism in the Lower Mainland. It is best served by transit out of all of the municipalities in the Lower Mainland due to its need to bring everyone together within a timely manner.

The Vancouver City Centre station epitomizes this by making a single station a master transfer point where commuters have access to ALL skytrain lines in one place. This station, in particular, is masterfully engineered to have transfer corridors underground so that there isn't any disturbance to the pace of the city on the street level.

Vancouver ends up being extremely well connected within its municipal boundaries by the Evergreen line, which serves the west end, and by the Millennium line which serves UBC and the other southern neighbourhoods.

Burnaby

Burnaby ends up being a powerful bedroom community... in a good way!

Taking advantage of the ring layout of the original Skytrain design, Burnaby is extremely well serviced by rapid transit. So much so, that Burnaby functions much like a giant rapid transit roundabout; if you want to go to UBC or North Van, you head north; if you want to go to Main Street or Surrey, you head south, etc. This makes Burnaby a very convenient location if you want to travel anywhere in the Lower Mainland. To help exploit this advantage, there is even a B-Line bus that services a North-South Corridor which will open access to 4 different skytrain lines.

Tri-Cities (Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, Port Moody)

Coquitlam is really aiming to be the crossroads of the east in the Lower Mainland. Like all cities in the Lower Mainland, the tri-cities can only piggy-back off of the niches that Vancouver has developed. Afterall you can't change the land but you can change what you specialize in.

This is why the Evergreen line branches off to Lafarge Lake and Port Coquitlam; Port Coquitlam may end up developing its shipping industry more and will need a way to keep commuters off the road. This also opens the idea of extending the Evergreen line into Pitt Meadows.

Surrey

Surrey ends up becoming a behemoth with the second most population in the Lower Mainland and with one of the most hectares of land to work with. It also hosts the second most number of jobs in the Lower Mainland. Surrey will need to connect its neghbourhoods together, which is why the Expo line extension is key to its success.

Surrey Central Station will be redesigned to be a super effective sorting system for commuters. Any UBC students or airport passengers will transfer at Surrey Central to the Millennium line. And then anyone else, who is destined for downtown, will commute on the old Expo line. The Millennium line will also serve as a relief line for the morning and evening commute.

Other than that, there really wouldn't be enough demand to justify a Skytrain extension all the way to White Rock. So instead of building LRT and having someone transfer in South Surrey and then again at Surrey Central, a BRT network is put into play serving the needs of South Surrey and White Rock efficiently.

Also because the North-South connections are weak, the BRT will extend all the way up to Coquitlam Central which will open up commuting options in these secondary job nodes.

Richmond

I imagine that Richmond will remain industrial for the most part but that it will continue to grow westward towards the water. As a strong location for foreign (read: Chinese) investment, the waterfront grows with popularity. And therefore a small extension may be required up the unique neighbourhood of Steveston. And with the Millennium extension all the way to Surrey in the east, Richmond doesn't need a lot of infrastructure to manage itself efficiently.

Birdgeport station will become a major hub, requiring extensive work to be done on the Skytrain station to be able to accommodate airport passengers from Richmond and Surrey, and homebound commuters from UBC.

Abbotsford

Although technically not a part of the municipalities of the Lower Mainland (according to Wikipedia), the development of Abbotsford's airport combined with the increased frequency in cheap local flights to BC continually make it a gateway for Canadian residents who want to visit. Therefore they need alternative transportation options and one of these options will be the West Coast Express which will also serve Abbotsford residents.

My idea isn't perfect and what I was really trying to aim for was an attempt to reduce the number of transfers between skytrain lines while exploiting the advantage of our current Skytrain lines which is their ability to connect commuters to multiple cities on a single line.

Last edited by scryer; Sep 9, 2016 at 2:18 AM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 3:09 AM

Interesting ideas - however...

Richmond was dead set against Skytrain and even managed to get the last section of it single tracked. There's no way they're going to extend the Canada Line, much less have an extension of the Millennium Line from UBC travelling across their hallowed city. Plus north Richmond has a smaller population than south Vancouver.

There isn't demand for Millennium and Evergreen to both be travelling from Lougheed out past VCC-Clark. It's had almost 15 years and it's still not remotely close to Expo Line for ridership.

Sadly between opposition and overlap, I can't see your fantasy plan becoming reality.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 4:15 PM
(daka_x)

^Richmond wasn't "dead set" against SkyTrain or grade-separation at all - while the City may have expressed earlier preferences for an at-grade segment in Richmond, a grade-separated line was found to be the preference in the referendum that was launched by the City. At least that is how I am aware it went.

It's also a little shortsighted to think that just because anyone in power didn't want grade separation and/or an extension then, means the opinions won't change years later.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 6:33 PM

a good plan, yes ....

... I really like the overall plan designed by Scryer. Several years back there was a sort "designfest" on this thread, a lot of the plans now sadly deleted by copyright expiration. Many members, including moderators submitted different but all rather daring and practical plans. This is to be found now still in a rather diffused manner, but often gives an interesting find.
Is it perhaps time to do that again? Submit transit plans, that is. The way Scryer just did. This is a thread worth flicking back through, and then having a whole lot of idea on transit design plans. For a while back, this thread was hoppin'.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 7:52 PM

While I don't like transfers, they're more or less inevitable in larger transit networks, lest we end up with unwieldy nighmares like the M-Line above. So scryer, don't be afraid to come up with new Skytrain/LRT lines.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2016, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post
^Richmond wasn't "dead set" against SkyTrain or grade-separation at all - while the City may have expressed earlier preferences for an at-grade segment in Richmond, a grade-separated line was found to be the preference in the referendum that was launched by the City. At least that is how I am aware it went.

It's also a little shortsighted to think that just because anyone in power didn't want grade separation and/or an extension then, means the opinions won't change years later.
The powers that be were against it. In 25 years TransLink might move from nopity nope to maybe as far as more Skytrain in Richmond. In that time they'd likely move the east - west line up to Marine Dr (higher population) and maybe consider extending the Canada Line if Richmond ponies up the cash to double track and rebuild Brighouse Station.

Far above any of that though would be a line on Hastings out to Kootenay Loop, a gondola up Burnaby Mountain to SFU (the grades are too steep for Skytrain) and then maybe lines on Willingdon, Scott Road and King George. These wouldn't be started until after the UBC and Langley lines.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2016, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
...Several years back there was a sort "designfest" on this thread, a lot of the plans now sadly deleted by copyright expiration. Many members, including moderators submitted different but all rather daring and practical plans. This is to be found now still in a rather diffused manner, but often gives an interesting find.
Here you go, my dream Skytrain system! I created it using ScribbleMaps.

INTERACTIVE MAP!
https://www.scribblemaps.com/maps/vi...Map/DQtRgsZW5g

Old Posted Sep 11, 2016, 5:52 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Not a bad map!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 10:37 PM

Well...looks like Evergreen is in place and operational now.

http://www.news1130.com/2016/12/02/e...opening-today/ News 1130 "Evergreen Extension opening today"

by Simon Druker and Hana Mae Nassar

Posted Dec 2, 2016 7:26 am PST

Last Updated Dec 2, 2016 at 12:23 pm PST

Evidently Fraseropolis blog has indicated that development is starting to occur on the Evergreen Line route: with regards to residential development.

https://fraseropolis.com/2016/10/31/...r-development/ -
Thomas Ian MacLeod, Fraseropolis Blog. pub. October 31, 2016.

Does anyone really think that an extension of the Expo line to Langley Center would NOT invite development of the sort that we've seen in other communities. People buy where they can get to with relative facility and developers see that.

Now to stop Hepner from making the stupidest mistake of her hopefully short tenure as Mayor of Surrey.

Skytrain to Langley Center.

Last edited by The_Animal; Dec 2, 2016 at 10:45 PM. Reason: to be in compliance with linking procedure on forum.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 10:50 PM

SkytrainCar206

I think you have come up with a great map !!
It largely uses what is there, and expands on it, thereby eliminating too much "fantasy," except for perhaps the North Shore Line.
It's not overdone; it's large feasible, and what would be there could always be elaborated and expanded in the future (as it is here in Paris).
Practical and well thought out, IMO. Too bad this could not be a long-term goal for the BC governement.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 10:55 PM

i'd like to see a line between maple ridge and surrey - guildford, via walnut grove

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 5:11 AM

I think that map is really good. One thing I would change though is to make the Hastings line terminate at waterfront. Another would be to connect the Granville line to the Canada line.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 8:41 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Animal View Post
Well...looks like Evergreen is in place and operational now.

http://www.news1130.com/2016/12/02/e...opening-today/ News 1130 "Evergreen Extension opening today"

by Simon Druker and Hana Mae Nassar

Posted Dec 2, 2016 7:26 am PST

Last Updated Dec 2, 2016 at 12:23 pm PST

Evidently Fraseropolis blog has indicated that development is starting to occur on the Evergreen Line route: with regards to residential development.

https://fraseropolis.com/2016/10/31/...r-development/ -
Thomas Ian MacLeod, Fraseropolis Blog. pub. October 31, 2016.

Does anyone really think that an extension of the Expo line to Langley Center would NOT invite development of the sort that we've seen in other communities. People buy where they can get to with relative facility and developers see that.

Now to stop Hepner from making the stupidest mistake of her hopefully short tenure as Mayor of Surrey.

Skytrain to Langley Center.
I visited Langley for the first time this weekend and I was impressed by its size and commercial vibrancy. I also noticed a city bus service there to Surrey Central. I can definitely see the potential real estate development impact that a Skytrain extension could bring to Langley.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 4:45 AM

Long time lurker but a first time poster. I saw a discussion on facebook regarding extending the Canada line to Tsawwassen ferry terminal. This got me thinking of an all day commuter rail system. Not talking about the West Coast Express method of having 4 trains west in the evening and 4 trains east in the evening with some trips of the 701 supplementing it. I'm talking about having trains run every 20-30 minutes during peak hours and 45-60 minutes off-peak. I'll make a map when I can be bothered but a majority of the lines will follow along preexisting skytrain lines but stations would be further apart and lines would go into Ladner/Tsawwassen with a spur to the ferry as well as along the WCE line and into Surrey and Langley and Lions Bay.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 2:55 PM
SkyTrain Nut

I'd still love to see something that does long haul trips out to Chilliwack more than ten times a day.

Image courtesy of Transit Toronto

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
I'd still love to see something that does long haul trips out to Chilliwack more than ten times a day.

Image courtesy of Transit Toronto
That's really more of a geography problem (and a demand problem) than a technology problem

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 12:39 AM
SkyTrain Nut

It drives me nuts. I'd totes move to the valley instead of insisting on greater Vancouver if there was some form of schedule rail service that went both ways more than twice a day.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
It drives me nuts. I'd totes move to the valley instead of insisting on greater Vancouver if there was some form of schedule rail service that went both ways more than twice a day.
I'd like to see reverse commute options too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure