HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jul 31, 2010, 12:43 PM
R2-D2's army of death

I am releasing an album

Hello everybody!

So my experimental rock/psychedelic rock/desert rock band/musical project is releasing an album in the not-too-distant future. Our influences are people like Les Claypool, Josh Homme and Maynard James Keenan. It's a self-released album but we know people with good contacts and good equipment. If you can believe it, I've already managed to generate some low-scale interest here in Ottawa, in Montreal, across the border and even India if you can believe it.

I was wondering if anyone here in Ottawa or on SSP would like to support starving local artists?

For an idea on what we sound like, this is my old band Smoking Frog which is also the band that I and the bassist from my new band (Minimal Effect) hail from. In other words, if you like Smoking Frog, you'll probably like Minimal Effect.

Smoking Frog - Off the Clock
http://www.supload.com/listen?s=FSCqE9

That was the last recording Smoking Frog ever made.

Anyway, if anyone here is interested in an album and in receiving details and progress about the recording and development, feel free to PM me.

Thanks for your time and support.

- JP
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 6:11 PM
R2-D2's army of death

So I take it no one is interested?
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 9:38 PM
Still optimistic

I like your music, but it isn't my genre.
I wish I had the guts to make a band...

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 2:18 AM
Elle est déjà vide!

I'm looking forward to buying a copy

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 3:02 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmer View Post

I like your music, but it isn't my genre.
I wish I had the guts to make a band...

Ah well, not everyone likes it. And go out and make a band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mille Sabords View Post
I'm looking forward to buying a copy
Awesome!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 2:03 PM
Citizen-at-large

Just listened, and I am a fan. Count me in for a copy.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 3:20 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawan View Post

Just listened, and I am a fan. Count me in for a copy.

Just so you know, Smoking Frog is my old band. My new band is Minimal Effect but it's me(the drummer) and the bassist from Smoking Frog so it's in the same vein, but a bit different since we decided to make this musical project more experimental.

I will post one of our newly recorded songs soon enough. They're all in editing right now so I gotta hear back from Jim about when the first songs will be done.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2010, 12:49 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Facebook group is now up

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...48103255206220

It's pretty bare bones right now, but that will change soon enough.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2010, 7:45 PM
R2-D2's army of death

This is the concept art that the wonderful Evan Dahm has done for one of our songs called "The Old Earth".

Evan Dahm is the man behind Rice Boy and Order of Tales. To give you an idea of his stuff, here's one of his sites.

http://www.rice-boy.com/about.php

Also, if you would like to hear some of our songs, please PM me so I can e-mail them to you.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2010, 2:02 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Minimal Effect - Pipes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeQQ3YFPyNQ

Please watch the video and like us, subscribe, comment; anything. Please support young independent artists and please spread the word!

Old Posted Dec 28, 2010, 6:40 PM
R2-D2's army of death

We've uploaded our second video now.

Minimal Effect - An Improvised Letter to Lexi Belle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HwNxgAL_Go

Old Posted Dec 31, 2010, 12:33 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Third youtube video is up on our youtube channel.

Minimal Effect - Up and Down the Stairs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zLSHwlb1mg

Old Posted Jan 11, 2011, 11:55 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Yet another video is up on our youtube page for all three who are interested.

Minimal Effect - Groove of the Ground

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTg7f1WQcAM

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 2:37 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Minimal Effect will be making an appearance at Umi Cafe in Ottawa's Chinatown! If you can make it, we'd greatly appreciate your support!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php...88840637816495

Old Posted Mar 6, 2011, 5:06 PM
R2-D2's army of death

In the last little while, we've made two videos; Breaking Brick With Glass, which is a release off our album, and a random jam video.

Breaking Brick With Glass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmoYq...el_video_title

Our random little jam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1xTJ...el_video_title

Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 1:38 AM
R2-D2's army of death

We recently released an EP titled "Storm". Please let us know what you think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E62Co...el_video_title

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 9:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
We recently released an EP titled "Storm". Please let us know what you think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E62Co...el_video_title
I think it's interesting and it has great potential... you guies are improving and getting tighter. This is not an easy style to perform.

I will probably be able to say that I like it once you and your band will have practiced this song a further hundred hours. Maybe love it after a thousand.

No comments on the sound quality since you make do with what you have but generally speaking, tighter playing combined with more volume (as in the space occupied by the song) will do it wonders.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 12:02 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegypsy View Post
I think it's interesting and it has great potential... you guies are improving and getting tighter. This is not an easy style to perform.

I will probably be able to say that I like it once you and your band will have practiced this song a further hundred hours. Maybe love it after a thousand.

No comments on the sound quality since you make do with what you have but generally speaking, tighter playing combined with more volume (as in the space occupied by the song) will do it wonders.
Thank you for the feedback. It's hard to practice and get tighter when we live in two different cities. Additionally, the bassist likes to improvise a lot, which can make him hard to follow at times.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 6:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
Thank you for the feedback. It's hard to practice and get tighter when we live in two different cities. Additionally, the bassist likes to improvise a lot, which can make him hard to follow at times.
You're welcome.

A friend of mine who is a session drummer never stops beating this little leather disk as we chat and drink beer in his house. His set takes 80% of his living room. He drinks, eats, sleeps drums.

As a solution to your short practice seesions with your colleague, I think that you should both take advantage of the situation and play with other people while in your respective cities. This is a very common thing amongst jazz musicians... Playing with a bunch of different artists will only expand your skill. This reminds me of a video I saw on youtube recently. It shows The Stones and Hendrix backstage before a music festival. Keith Richards - who was regarded at the time as a very respectable guitarist - simply sits next to Hendrix (who is playing) and observes the master.

Maybe in a few years we'll see you at the Blues Festival. They accept submissions by the way, which is rare for a large festival. 20% local talent I believe I read somewhere.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 3:27 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegypsy View Post
You're welcome.

A friend of mine who is a session drummer never stops beating this little leather disk as we chat and drink beer in his house. His set takes 80% of his living room. He drinks, eats, sleeps drums.

As a solution to your short practice seesions with your colleague, I think that you should both take advantage of the situation and play with other people while in your respective cities. This is a very common thing amongst jazz musicians... Playing with a bunch of different artists will only expand your skill. This reminds me of a video I saw on youtube recently. It shows The Stones and Hendrix backstage before a music festival. Keith Richards - who was regarded at the time as a very respectable guitarist - simply sits next to Hendrix (who is playing) and observes the master.

Maybe in a few years we'll see you at the Blues Festival. They accept submissions by the way, which is rare for a large festival. 20% local talent I believe I read somewhere.
I've actually done that a bit. There was a band up in North Bay last year known as "Barbarossa's Crusaders" and was more or less indie-rock with more emphasis on the rock. I auditioned for them and even though I was out of practice, they said I was still the best they'd seen thus far. Unfortunately, I failed my program so I came back to Ottawa for a while then went back to try again. They found a new drummer, but I've stilled jammed with them a few times since we're college friends.

One thing I also like doing that challenges me a bit is playing on different drum sets, that are toned and arranged diffrently. Forces me to adapt quickly and experiment and express myself in different ways.

Maybe you'll see us at Bluesfest, but if my career from college takes off then it's not likely. Although, we've had a standing offer to register and appear at SXSW...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation