HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 7:24 PM

66-story tower, tallest in Austin, could break ground soon

Quote:
The developers behind what would be the tallest tower in Austin said they could break ground on their 66-story skyscraper as early as this fall.

The ambitious mixed-use project at 600 Guadalupe St. would stack two towers on top of one another, surpassing the tallest downtown skyscraper, The Independent, by seven stories. The design of the building at 600 Guadalupe could have as much of an impact on the Austin skyline as The Independent, aka the Jenga tower, and the Frost Bank Tower, developers said.

“The goal is (to create) the nicest building in Austin,” said Seth Johnston, Austin-based senior vice president with Lincoln Property Group, which is partnering with Kairoi Residential (formerly Lynd Development Partners) to build the skyscraper.

While the timeline isn’t finalized, if all goes according to plan, Lincoln and Kairoi expect city planners to approve a site plan this fall, roughly a year after first submitting an initial site plan to the city.

Once the site plan gets the green light and the developers get a demolition permit, the plan is to start knocking down the existing structure, an Extended Stay America hotel, shortly thereafter, said Johnston. That low-rise hotel is at the corner of West Sixth and Guadalupe streets — next to the old downtown post office.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 9:21 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
“The goal is (to create) the nicest building in Austin,” said Seth Johnston, Austin-based senior vice president with Lincoln Property Group, which is partnering with Kairoi Residential (formerly Lynd Development Partners) to build the skyscraper.

I hate this pr talk. Nicest building in Austin, yet there is no personality to it. There is nothing in this tower that will come close to being the "nicest" building in Austin. WTF are these bozos smoking, cuz the stuff I smoke doesn't make me autistic.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
Dare I say that Chicago's canceled Waterview tower moved south?
Indeed.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 11:29 PM
Meh

Some recent new renderings

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 11:31 PM
Meh

This is the quote from the article that kind of blew my mind a little:

Quote:
Plus the tower will have almost an acre of outdoor space floating in the air on various terraces.

“It will be like no other building in downtown in terms outdoor amenity space … (one acre of outdoor access) for downtown Austin is crazy,” he added.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
I hate this pr talk. Nicest building in Austin, yet there is no personality to it. There is nothing in this tower that will come close to being the "nicest" building in Austin. WTF are these bozos smoking, cuz the stuff I smoke doesn't make me autistic.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 5:20 PM

If they can't come up with something better than this, they should abandon the project altogether.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 6:31 PM

Whew... while this is good for Austin... not so good for Houston... we must continue to have the tallest building in the state.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 6:52 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Forumer View Post
Whew... while this is good for Austin... not so good for Houston... we must continue to have the tallest building in the state.
You know, this is probably going to sound crazy, but I always got a kick out of visiting San Antonio and Fort Worth and seeing taller buildings there. It was sort of a treat. Until 2004, San Antonio had 3 taller buildings than us, plus the Tower of the Americas. Fort Worth had 3 up until 2008 when we passed them that year.

I have always wondered what Austin would look like with taller buildings. How one would compare on the skyline to the other buildings and using the heights of ones here to compare them to buildings of similar height in Houston and Dallas. It's crazy that I might not have to use my imagination anymore to find out, and there's some satisfaction in knowing a building here will be on the level of some of the ones in Houston and Dallas. Still, I would like to go to those cities and still have it be a treat - knowing in you're in a bigger city with a bigger and taller skyline. There's just something that appeals to me about that. 5th highest roof in Texas. All the other buildings that will be taller than this one are at least 900 feet tall.

By the way, I have my doubts about the spire height on the Renaissance Tower in Dallas. The old height we've always seen has been 886 feet, but I've always doubted that height. We knew that the roof height was 710 feet before they added the spire later on. The height that I had sort of guessed it to be was about 810 with the spire. You can measure it in Google Earth and get 850 feet, which is probably more accurate.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 3:52 AM

Very nice Austin! Looks a lot like Stanteck in Edmonton Alberta. I'd love to see something like this in Minneapolis!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 4:24 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Is that podium all above ground parking? Just wondering. Also....this project reminds me of another in Edmonton, which contains an office tower with apartments stacked above it. I must doubt if this is a final render since it looks fairly vague in many aspects of the building, but I also must question how this was passed off as a design for the project. It looks like it doesn't attempt to integrate itself with the local urban fabric. Had they included a less overbearing podium maybe with some warm texture like stone or brick, and simplified some of the segments of the tower, this could be more appropriate.

Overall, it's nice to see some density and growth for Austin, but this proposal needs some work.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 5:31 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
Is that podium all above ground parking? Just wondering. Also....this project reminds me of another in Edmonton, which contains an office tower with apartments stacked above it. I must doubt if this is a final render since it looks fairly vague in many aspects of the building, but I also must question how this was passed off as a design for the project. It looks like it doesn't attempt to integrate itself with the local urban fabric. Had they included a less overbearing podium maybe with some warm texture like stone or brick, and simplified some of the segments of the tower, this could be more appropriate.

Overall, it's nice to see some density and growth for Austin, but this proposal needs some work.
Yeah, that podium is all parking and retail. Digging takes forever here because of the limestone bedrock you find at a shallow depth. I can't even dig a 2 foot hole in my backyard without hitting it. Anyway, the developer included a lot of parking since it's what tenants were asking for. I know it's not ideal, but office projects here still love their parking, while residential buildings and hotels have little or even none at all. What also influenced the podium in this building is the Capitol View Corridor that runs through that site. Austin has about 3 dozen sight corridors that protect the view of the Capitol dome from designated places. They're protected by City of Austin and State of Texas law, and are strictly enforced. The silver lining is that it's created some interesting designs. Instead of square buildings, we get ones with angled walls, and it also encourages height since it reduces the allowable height certain blocks can have. It's part of the reason this project ended up being so tall. Without the view corridor, they could have had two towers on the block instead of one taller one.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 6:29 PM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Certainly a doppelganger of Stantec Tower in Edmonton, which only reinforces the stereotype of Alberta being the Texas of Canada and Edmonton being its Austin... Love it! Go Austin!

BTW, anyone have insight into the BIG.DK East Austin District proposal?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Casting some big shadows on the “nicer” buildings behind it (those old mansions). Such a strange thing to have those right next to each other.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 9:47 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Yeah, that podium is all parking and retail. Digging takes forever here because of the limestone bedrock you find at a shallow depth. I can't even dig a 2 foot hole in my backyard without hitting it. Anyway, the developer included a lot of parking since it's what tenants were asking for. I know it's not ideal, but office projects here still love their parking, while residential buildings and hotels have little or even none at all. What also influenced the podium in this building is the Capitol View Corridor that runs through that site. Austin has about 3 dozen sight corridors that protect the view of the Capitol dome from designated places. They're protected by City of Austin and State of Texas law, and are strictly enforced. The silver lining is that it's created some interesting designs. Instead of square buildings, we get ones with angled walls, and it also encourages height since it reduces the allowable height certain blocks can have. It's part of the reason this project ended up being so tall. Without the view corridor, they could have had two towers on the block instead of one taller one.
Ah yes, sightlines. Reminds me of Vancouver then, albeit much less restrictive.

I'm aware of the likings of automobiles in those big Texas cities, partly since I listen to some podcasts from around there haha. Just wish this would have more of an interesting arrangement of materials for the lower levels at least.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 11:01 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Casting some big shadows on the “nicer” buildings behind it (those old mansions). Such a strange thing to have those right next to each other.
That's the Bremond block. It's a collection of historic homes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
Ah yes, sightlines. Reminds me of Vancouver then, albeit much less restrictive.

I'm aware of the likings of automobiles in those big Texas cities, partly since I listen to some podcasts from around there haha. Just wish this would have more of an interesting arrangement of materials for the lower levels at least.
Here's a link to the CVC map that wwmiv on the forum made. You can see the block where this tower is at the northwest corner of West 6th Street & Guadalupe Street. You can see in that map how the corridors have affected the shape and orientation of the buildings.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...589853518&z=15

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 2:53 AM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

There's no visual continuity whatsoever. Naked concrete, exposed/recessed balconies...

And why---for the love of Dusty Rhodes---is there IMHO this inexplicable hang-up in Austin, *Houston and Dallas over building 500'> skyscrapers that have some sort of crown, spire, pinnacle or any other such design element?

*609 Main should be setting a precedent......Again, IMHO.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 9:11 PM
Meh

The site plan was posted to the city's AULCC page, and there's a slight bump in height from 842 feet to 848 feet with a total of 65 floors. The elevations are included.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...ts_PLAN_02.pdf

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 9:26 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post

maybe they mean it'll be really nice on the INSIDE.

us ugly people hear that all the time... "but he's beautiful on the inside" because our outside makes people retch.

well great. now I'm sad.

stupid building.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 4:30 AM
Chairman

At least the silhouette of this tower will look great.

-sb

Last edited by shakman; Jun 29, 2018 at 8:28 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction