HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 2:54 PM

You can run a LRT the wrong way on Main Street. I have seen it all over Europe. On large one-way streets (and yes they have one-way streets) where they would take the curb lane and make it a streetcar or LRT in the opposite direction.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 6:31 PM

I agree totally. Hamilton's east-west LRT, should it ever become a reality, should have both directions built on Main Street, since Main is wider and could accomodate both tracks. Under these circumstances, the remaining three lanes can remain one-way eastbound, with one lane metered-parking during off-peak weekdays and all weekend. King Street can also remain in its current configuration.

This kind of configuration has been highly successful in European cities.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 7:15 PM
It's Hammer Time

If we go with two tracks for Main St wouldn't lets say the East bound LRT be on the right side next to the sidewalk and the West bound LRT be on the left side next to the sidewalk and have two or three lanes for cars in the middle. Or would it be two LRT lanes on the right side and three or two lanes for cars on the left of the LRT lane?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 8:15 PM
Closed account

I'd suggest both LRT lanes on the north curb where it's one-way. then the trains could run along the sidewalk on the 2-way portion out to Eastgate.
This is done all over the world and could easily be done here.
Plus it's less convenient for transit users to have to walk from King to Main, especially in the Gage/Sherman/Wentworth area where King and Main are pretty far apart.
2-way on Main should be simple and no-brainer.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 8:23 PM
It's Hammer Time

I'd leave Main and certain parts of King one way as it'll require millions more to build new overpass bridges to the 403 for both King and Main, and it's not your typical overpass bridge so probably in the high double or triple millions.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
I'd leave Main and certain parts of King one way as it'll require millions more to build new overpass bridges to the 403 for both King and Main, and it's not your typical overpass bridge so probably in the high double or triple millions.
that would be the province's responsibility though, since Highway 403 is provinically owned, and last time I checked, they are responsible for all construction and maintenance of the structure.

I don't think Hamilton chipped in for the Red Hill/QEW interchange, as it was on MTO domain.

Same could apply on the 403, and i think those bridges are needed to be rehabbed changed in the future anyways.

I would be all for removing the one-way designation on Main & King if I had the option. Slow down traffic, divert truck traffic off it, towards the Linc/Red Hill Expressway.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 9:03 PM
It's Hammer Time

Those bridges are suppose to get repaired next year so it's a little too late. On the Spec they mentioned the Aberdeen overpass bridge is in the worst condition. I always get worried when I drive over that bridge.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 9:13 PM
Pro Urban Degenerate

Instead of modifying the on and off ramps for the 403, large traffic circles could be used to at King and Dundurn as well as Main and Dundurn to appropriately transition traffic between one way and two way. The ramps don't necessary need to be reconfigured to convert to two ways. Just the streets do.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 11:31 PM
Closed account

while i prefer two-way traffic, i don't think it's the be-all and end-all for main street's woes. adding two-way LRT to main and altering the traffic lights so they're not synchronized is probably sufficient.

i like the idea of clustering LRT to the north, though having them on opposite sides of the street provides a decent buffer for pedestrians. there's probably no perfect solution to main st. as long as it's considered a major throughfare.

there might be traffic/safety issues with LRT crossing the 403 bridge against merging traffic. to avoid reconstructing those ramps, etc., LRT could be re-routed up dundurn and along king to paradise. it would probably be cheaper than the alternative. in this map, westbound LRT is red and eastbound is blue.

regardless, any rapid transit in this city must be given priority over cars or it's not worth the investment. i fear that we will never understand that fact in the hammer.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 11:56 PM

I'd like to see the light rail go into Westdale

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 2:04 AM
Closed account

I'm no highway construction expert, but I've walked over Main and King and have convinced myself that the on-off ramps could be adjusted for 2-way traffic very easily.
Here's how:
if you look at your image above you can see where the 403 West ramp onto Main is located. It curves under King and angles itself to allow for free flow onto eastbound Main. All that needs to be done is have the ramp curved to the right (if you're driving on it) so that it joins up exactly perpendicular to Main St. Install stoplights just like the ramps that come off the Linc. Voila.
Same for the other ramps. I realize leaving this ramp configuration still doesn't allow one to come onto King St from the 403 Westbound, but who cares? this whole city is geared around the car. It won't kill people to keep using the Main St ramp. now they can turn left or right on the green light and proceed downtown or into Westdale.
For on-ramps - take the King St on-ramp to East 403 - do the same thing. curve the ramp so it is perpendicular with King. Install stoplights every direction. Now someone can drive out from Westdale, turn left at the lights and get on the 403.
Simple, easy, cheap and allows for 2-way car and LRT traffic in a safe manner.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 9:58 PM

Regarding those ramps, it's simple. put a light where they join the street and allow turns in both directions. They don't have to rebuild entire ramps, just rework the junction with the street. Remember that most off ramps don't become onramps onto the city street, they intersect the city street at a light. Only in hamilton do we have highway off ramps that become city street onramps because we treat our city streets as highways.

As far as LRT routing, i 100% see the value in having it on-street as much as possible -- but crossing the 403 could be an issue. I think it should be routed from mac to the rail trail and across the bridge south of aberdeen. then share the tracks through the hunter tunnel to hunter station. then north form the station to main. it could be done... i know a large stretch of main would not benefit from LRT development but on the other hand, you'd be linking the main transit mode direct through the go/greyhound terminal not to mention the MIP and mcmaster university. it's worth it.

in my opinion the hunter tunnel needs to be addressed no matter what. i am sick of all the can't-do whining. it can be done, just get to it. i've said it a million times, they've build and demolished in much greater scale for highways. god, look at all the work they are doing at the clappisons hill. the only reason the hunter tunnel "can't" be improved is because no one has the balls or foresight to get it done. it's all about will.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminecanary View Post
in my opinion the hunter tunnel needs to be addressed no matter what. i am sick of all the can't-do whining. it can be done, just get to it. i've said it a million times, they've build and demolished in much greater scale for highways. god, look at all the work they are doing at the clappisons hill. the only reason the hunter tunnel "can't" be improved is because no one has the balls or foresight to get it done. it's all about will.
No doubt. With the hwy 6 construction they built a new road complete with an overpass over the railroad (Zellens Rd.) just for the 8 or 10 houses that were cut off from Dundas. York Rd in Dundas will get a full interchange connected to a nearly 1 km long extension of Plains Rd West to Burlington. And they can't expand a few hundred metres of tunnel in Hamilton.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 10:05 PM
Closed account

coalmine...LRT can cross the 403 very easily. You and I both gave the solution - normal on-ramps with stoplights. Add a transit-only signal (which hopefully would be normal along the entire LRT route if public works can stomach the thought of using signals for transit only).
No problem at all crossing a signalized intersection. No different than LRT or BRT crossing Upper James at the Linc.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminecanary View Post
Let's just hope the James North station is not used as a smokescreen while they axe this tunnel project for good.

(from Flar's Downtown Hamilton photos)

Imagine this as the definitive point of arrival for thousands of travellers daily. The TH&B Station should be the pride of Hamilton. It is our most distinctive heritage building, and one of the few that we've taken care of. Unlike the CN station, this building was restored as a train station because of overwhelming public support. The city didn't sell it off to LIUNA or some other enterprise to do with as they pleased because it is the best damned train station we've ever had and that's its rightful place. Let's not say 'Welcome to Hamilton' with an abandoned beer store, for crying out loud.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 1:37 AM

as an outsider in some ways. I personally find the Hunter St. station to be the most attractive building downtown, and I love it. It has so much character, it is soo crazily underused, but I have a feeling that it will turn into a terminal for the HSR in the next few years, as from what I hear, The city currently has a contract in place with the HSR to use Gore Park as it's central terminal, but doesn't want to renew it, and rather would have buses terminate or connect elsewhere.

I hope that the south side of the hunter st. station, where the bus terminals are, is where most HSR buses connect, especially to the GO buses and trains. walking 3 blocks south from Gore Park to the station isn't terrible, but yet, isn't very convenient either.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 2:57 AM
Closed account

it's a beauty and very unique. train stations tend to be neo-classical or richardsonian or even chateau style [windsor station]. i don't think there are any other art deco/moderne examples like the th&b in north america.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
coalmine...LRT can cross the 403 very easily. You and I both gave the solution - normal on-ramps with stoplights. Add a transit-only signal (which hopefully would be normal along the entire LRT route if public works can stomach the thought of using signals for transit only).
No problem at all crossing a signalized intersection. No different than LRT or BRT crossing Upper James at the Linc.
Yeah, but I think that there is greater value in LRT passing through MIP and hunter station than along the stretch of main from 403->james. There can still be stops along this route, the train just won't physically be on the street. There would be a locke st stop closer to the BIA district than a line on main would be... and imagine the student ghetto by the rail trail feeding the LRT line. And students living in the far east parts of that neighbourhood can take LRT to classes. A huge stretch of main will benefit from LRT, I think that rerouting the west leg would not hurt at all.

Word on the street is that the HSR WILL be using hunter as a downtown "terminal". This doesn't necessarily mean all routes will sit and idle there, but most will funnel through it. The space is there and I'm glad they are using it. Maybe that will be one of the catalysts for getting more trains in....

go hunter go!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 12:14 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
I hope that the south side of the hunter st. station, where the bus terminals are, is where most HSR buses connect, especially to the GO buses and trains. walking 3 blocks south from Gore Park to the station isn't terrible, but yet, isn't very convenient either.
There's lots of room back there, but not enough to handle all HSR & GO buses.

There is, however, PLENTY of room along Hunter St bet John & James to house these buses. The north-side of Hunter even has grooves built in (currently used for people picking up commuters to park), but could easily be reformatted to station buses.

I think an LRT could cross the 403 bridges and think it should turn South up James, cross at Hunter infront of TH&B, then North up John back East onto Main.

I am a HUGE fan of the TH&B as a 'terminal', but agree with rth when he says the buses shouldn't 'terminate' at this 'terminal' but rather have it as a stop along it's way and have most buses continue onto King St or even further north, then turn back up to the mountain (kind of like how the 25/26 does once it reaches the Limeridge 'terminal').

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 2:04 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC83 View Post
There's lots of room back there, but not enough to handle all HSR & GO buses.

There is, however, PLENTY of room along Hunter St bet John & James to house these buses. The north-side of Hunter even has grooves built in (currently used for people picking up commuters to park), but could easily be reformatted to station buses.

I think an LRT could cross the 403 bridges and think it should turn South up James, cross at Hunter infront of TH&B, then North up John back East onto Main.

I am a HUGE fan of the TH&B as a 'terminal', but agree with rth when he says the buses shouldn't 'terminate' at this 'terminal' but rather have it as a stop along it's way and have most buses continue onto King St or even further north, then turn back up to the mountain (kind of like how the 25/26 does once it reaches the Limeridge 'terminal').

exactly. it would be insane to stop all mountain buses at Hunter. They should go through to Cannon and some to the harbourfront.
Personally, I'd like to see the LRT come to Main/Hughson and then go up to King and use King over to Queen before heading back to Main.
LRT would be awesome on King. Much more convenient and urban than Hunter.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure