HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Mahogany at Mill Lake in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Abbotsford Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 2:37 PM

Hey whatever happened to that proposal for the 25 story building by superstore that they proposed awhile back. Haven't really heard anything about it, or those 4 towers that were proposed by Red Robins. Hopefully Mahogany goes through and quick, with the way Abbotsford is going it's making Surrey look like its got its act together...

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosstheBoss View Post
Hey whatever happened to that proposal for the 25 story building by superstore that they proposed awhile back. Haven't really heard anything about it, or those 4 towers that were proposed by Red Robins. Hopefully Mahogany goes through and quick, with the way Abbotsford is going it's making Surrey look like its got its act together...
AFAIK Emco investments is altering the redevelopment proposal of the land next to Red Robin.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 6:15 AM

Any idea what it will look like or when we will get any info?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 5:39 PM

Hello SSPers,

I work at Quantum Properties and would like to start a discussion regarding Mahogany at Mill Lake.

If you haven’t heard already, we have repurposed the podium base to commercial use. The first three floors will now consist of office/retail space with the residential component beginning on the fourth floor. At the moment, we are currently seeking commercial tenants for Mahogany. Due to Mahogany’s proximity to the Abbotsford Regional Hospital and Cancer Centre, we believe medical & health services would be a suitable commercial use for our location. We would also like to see a café and spa in the building.

This brings me to my point; I’m interested in seeing what potential tenants YOU would like to see in this location. What makes sense to you?

I would like to thank you all for your interest and support for our development. We have been working on Mahogany for quite some time now, and we are very excited to break ground early next year.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QPGroup View Post
Hello SSPers,

I work at Quantum Properties and would like to start a discussion regarding Mahogany at Mill Lake.

If you haven’t heard already, we have repurposed the podium base to commercial use. The first three floors will now consist of office/retail space with the residential component beginning on the fourth floor. At the moment, we are currently seeking commercial tenants for Mahogany. Due to Mahogany’s proximity to the Abbotsford Regional Hospital and Cancer Centre, we believe medical & health services would be a suitable commercial use for our location. We would also like to see a café and spa in the building.

This brings me to my point; I’m interested in seeing what potential tenants YOU would like to see in this location. What makes sense to you?

I would like to thank you all for your interest and support for our development. We have been working on Mahogany for quite some time now, and we are very excited to break ground early next year.

Personally, if I had the choice between living in a building with commercial space catering to the medical field vs. non-medical (Nester's Market, Starbucks, etc), I would opt for the latter. While the convenience of a doctor's office below is nice, I don't want to catch a fever in the lobby.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 4:14 AM

According to Diane Delves' twitter they are finally... FINALLY... doing something on the site.
http://twitpic.com/d77ql2

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 5:27 AM

Hollllyyyyy....finally! I seriously thought this thing was never going to be built.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 5:49 AM

Hoping this makes it further than the Brio. Ill keep photo updates going once construction begins in earnest.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCE View Post
Personally, if I had the choice between living in a building with commercial space catering to the medical field vs. non-medical (Nester's Market, Starbucks, etc), I would opt for the latter. While the convenience of a doctor's office below is nice, I don't want to catch a fever in the lobby.
We understand that could be a concern for many people which is why we have a separate entrance and lobby for the commercial and residential components on the first floor. Customers of the commercial tenants cannot access the residential lobby or elevators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
According to Diane Delves' twitter they are finally... FINALLY... doing something on the site.
http://twitpic.com/d77ql2
Indeed, we estimate completion to be in the Summer of 2015. We're excited to take part in the urbanization of Abbotsford!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2013, 11:02 PM
be nice to the crackheads

^Completion in two years? Wow.

Welcome to the forum, QPGroup.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QPGroup View Post
Hello SSPers,

If you're interested in creating a more urban environment, as you say, medical offices are not the way to go. I haven't seen any good renders of what the retail component would look like but almost 100% of the time the retail section is so bland and lifeless that it will only attract, as you suggested, medical offices and probably an insurance office and maybe a nail salon.

If you want to attract interesting shops and services, you really have to up the ante on the retail section. The Garrison Woods project in Calgary is a good example of new retail providing a village "high street" type feel. Each retail unit has its own unique character, using different colours and materials. It would be nice to see a developer put some effort into at least the street level architecture because this is where you can either create an interesting pedestrian realm, or, as happens most times, you will create a dead zone.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 5:38 AM

It's going to be interesting to see what this thing looks like from around town. It's going to be a landmark considering the lack of any building over 20 floors at present.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
If you're interested in creating a more urban environment, as you say, medical offices are not the way to go. I haven't seen any good renders of what the retail component would look like but almost 100% of the time the retail section is so bland and lifeless that it will only attract, as you suggested, medical offices and probably an insurance office and maybe a nail salon.

If you want to attract interesting shops and services, you really have to up the ante on the retail section. The Garrison Woods project in Calgary is a good example of new retail providing a village "high street" type feel. Each retail unit has its own unique character, using different colours and materials. It would be nice to see a developer put some effort into at least the street level architecture because this is where you can either create an interesting pedestrian realm, or, as happens most times, you will create a dead zone.
While a "high street" style would be nice and it would certainly be a step in the right direction towards the urbanization of the area, we believe medical services are appropriate because of the proximity to the Abbotsford Hospital and Campus of Care. That being said, there will be a licensed bistro with a patio and we are looking for a small independent grocer on the first floor. With the West Oaks and Seven Oaks malls just north of our site, we don't believe it will be able to attract the types of retailers required to create that "high street" atmosphere.

Also, with the High Street mall just off the Mt. Lehman interchange nearing completion, most retailers looking to set up shop in Abbotsford are going to situate in a high traffic area like the new mall as opposed to our quieter location, which is why we are gearing the commercial component to suit our resident's needs and meet the growing demand from the medical centre just one block south of Mahogany.

Quote:
It's going to be interesting to see what this thing looks like from around town. It's going to be a landmark considering the lack of any building over 20 floors at present.
Yes, it will certainly stand out! It just so happens that Mahogany is at the high point of the city centre as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
^Completion in two years? Wow.

Welcome to the forum, QPGroup.
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 7:03 AM

Sigh. Over 5 years since the original announcement, over 4 years since it was approved and many, many months since they cleared the site and nothing as of yet. I'm beginning to have my doubts. This project was supposed to be finished some time ago.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 8:31 AM

Quote:
Sigh. Over 5 years since the original announcement, over 4 years since it was approved and many, many months since they cleared the site and nothing as of yet. I'm beginning to have my doubts. This project was supposed to be finished some time ago.
By the time/if they build this it will be dated. If they do ever more forward with this project I hope they closely examine it and update it.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 4:32 AM

Well they have finally started the project. Excavation has begun.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 7:14 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Well they have finally started the project. Excavation has begun.
No way, I did not think this would ever actually happen. The location is really strange, but it's still cool that Abbotsford is getting a new tallest.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 11:33 PM

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 11:36 PM

From that pic it doesn't even look like they've finished excavating the site let alone poured the foundation. Seems odd to have the crane up so early.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 11:48 PM

Good to see some progress none the less.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley