HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 4:11 AM
New Yorker for life

FORT LEE, N.J. | The Modern | 2 @ 498 FT | 47 FLOORS

This has been kicking around for a while, never got around to a thread for it...

The other half of the development

http://www.tuckerdevelopment.com/

http://www.northjersey.com/news/Two_....html?page=all

Two 47-story residential towers proposed in Fort Lee

February 8, 2012
BY LINH TAT

Quote:
Two 47-story skyscrapers draped in glass would serve as a gateway to the Gold Coast and help to transform land in Fort Lee that has lain fallow for decades into some of the most prime pieces of property in New Jersey, developers and borough officials say.

The twin luxury residential towers, rising 498 feet and overlooking the George Washington Bridge, are part of a proposed 7-acre mixed-use project, dubbed The Center at Fort Lee, that would include a park, a restaurant, a snack kiosk, a museum and a three-screen movie theater featuring some independent films.

Phase 1 — to be built on the east side — is now before the Planning Board for final site plan approval. The borough already gave an informal nod to the project when it agreed to let Fort Lee Redevelopment Associates LLC and the Tucker Development & Acquisition Fund create a complex on the vacant parcel. Phase 2 of the plan by Tucker Development — proposed for the west side — is expected to be reviewed at a later date.

Each tower would contain a fitness center, lounge, game room, spa and other amenities. The units would feature a sleek glass curtain wall for floor-to-ceiling panoramic views.

Although the Fort Lee towers would not be the tallest buildings along the Gold Coast, Demetrakis said that at 47 stories, they would be the tallest structures in Bergen County. Despite that height, the proposed towers measure just 67 feet wide, so no view corridors would be blocked, he said. The tallest existing development in Fort Lee is The Palisades, a 40-story condominium complex on Old Palisades Road, according to borough staff.

http://fortlee.patch.com/articles/re...pproves-towers

Board Approves 47-Story Towers On Long-Vacant Lot
The Fort Lee Planning Board unanimously approved FLRA’s site plan for Redevelopment Area 5 East parcel, but not everyone was sold.

By Erik Wander
March 27, 2012

Quote:
. The plan, which the board approved unanimously, includes two 47-story towers with 902 luxury residential units, a 1.7-acre public park, a restaurant and a small movie theater, among other amenities.

“These buildings are going to be iconic in nature; they’re going to be a statement made that will be very beneficial to the community,” said James Demetrakis, the attorney representing FLRA, of the plan’s primary feature, the two roughly 500-foot towers.

http://newyork.construction.com/yb/n...y_id=178234233

Ground Broken on Mixed-Use Tower Project in Fort Lee, N.J.

10/18/2012
By Linh Tat, The Record

Quote:
A project hailed by its supporters as an "iconic gateway" into Bergen County and one that will redefine New Jersey's skyline broke ground Wednesday, shepherding in a new chapter in the history of a property that has lain dormant for more than 40 years, marred by tales of poor planning and corruption.

Fort Lee Redevelopment Associates LLC -- the developer for one-half of the borough's largest redevelopment effort to date -- took a historic step toward building Bergen County's tallest structures: two 47-story glass-encased luxury residential towers that will soar to 498 feet. The approximately half-million-dollar project will also include a restaurant, 1.75-acre public park, three-screen movie theater, museum and snack kiosk.

"I feel like we've just reached the summit of Mount Everest after a long, hard climb," said Allen Goldman, president of SJP Properties, the managing partner of Fort Lee Redevelopment Associates. He predicted the project, once called The Center at Fort Lee but now renamed The Modern, "will forever change the borough of Fort Lee and the skyline of New Jersey."

The Modern makes up the eastern half of a 16-acre downtown mixed-use project south of the George Washington Bridge. The redevelopment area is bounded by Bruce Reynolds Boulevard, Central Road, Main Street and Lemoine Avenue. The western half, called Hudson Lights, will be developed by Illinois-based Tucker Development Corp., and will feature approximately 175,000 square feet of shops and restaurants, 477 residential units and a 175-room hotel.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 4:14 AM

I think Fort Lee projects should show up in the New York Projects & Construction category, just as Newark and Jersey City.

Oh, and these buildings will be much more prominent than most buildings this tall because it will be on top of the Palisades, which look to me to be about 175 feet up.

Last edited by Duck From NY; Nov 15, 2012 at 5:43 AM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 3:17 PM

Aren't the Palisades like 300 ft.? I know someone at Wired NY made the calculation.

From Manhattan, I think these buildings will basically be viewed as twin 800-foot towers, because of the Palisades.

They're twin 500 ft towers, and then sitting on the Palisades, these will be very prominent towers within the greater Manhattan-area skyline.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 4:04 PM

Should change the title of the thread, since this development is now called "The Modern" according to the article posted.
Maybe could be called "The Modern-Hudson Lights, to include the development in the Western half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

Ground Broken on Mixed-Use Tower Project in Fort Lee, N.J.

10/18/2012
By Linh Tat, The Record
Quote:
"I feel like we've just reached the summit of Mount Everest after a long, hard climb," said Allen Goldman, president of SJP Properties, the managing partner of Fort Lee Redevelopment Associates. He predicted the project, once called The Center at Fort Lee but now renamed The Modern, "will forever change the borough of Fort Lee and the skyline of New Jersey."
Quote:
The Modern makes up the eastern half of a 16-acre downtown mixed-use project south of the George Washington Bridge. The redevelopment area is bounded by Bruce Reynolds Boulevard, Central Road, Main Street and Lemoine Avenue. The western half, called Hudson Lights, will be developed by Illinois-based Tucker Development Corp., and will feature approximately 175,000 square feet of shops and restaurants, 477 residential units and a 175-room hotel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Aren't the Palisades like 300 ft.? I know someone at Wired NY made the calculation.

From Manhattan, I think these buildings will basically be viewed as twin 800-foot towers, because of the Palisades.

They're twin 500 ft towers, and then sitting on the Palisades, these will be very prominent towers within the greater Manhattan-area skyline.
Yes, according to GE, the elevation of the Palisades is 90 meters, or about 300 feet.

These towers would be the tallest buildings in Fort Lee and in the entire Bergen County. They still be the second tallest structures in that county, behind the George Washington Bridge's west tower, (184 meters) but they will be about 55 meters taller than the bridge when added the 90 meters of elevation of the terrain on where the towers stand, so the top of the towers will be some 240 meters above the Hudson.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 4:06 PM

And one thing these towers would have is a spectacular view.

This is the view to Manhattan from one of the apartments buildings nearby
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/27845857

And the view to New Jersey is not bad at all either.
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/5779774

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/461713
[/QUOTE]

By the way, there is also a construction site in the eastern side of this plot, that can be seen in the latest update of GE from march of this year. Does somebody knows what is that?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 4:12 PM

Also, further down Main Street in Fort Lee (past Anderson Ave.), there is another highrise going up.

I don't know the details, but next time I'm in town, I'll see if there's any posted info. Fort Lee will have some major changes in the coming years.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 4:19 PM
Greetings from New Jersey

This is a ticking timebomb that part of the county is overstressed and there no plans for Rail , this project will push that over the edge and then some...they really need to come up with some sort of Rail plan either get in line with other towns for LRT extensions or build a network by themselves....to tie into the LRT Network which will extend up into Bergen county by 2017.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
This is a ticking timebomb that part of the county is overstressed and there no plans for Rail
You're right that Fort Lee needs rail. There will likely be thousands of units of highrise apartments added in the coming years.

At least they're getting light rail next-door, in Palisades Park.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 6:24 PM

They need to extend rail from Jersey City through Hoboken, Edgewater, and into Fort Lee. From my experience, River Road is extremely over-stressed.

But I think this development is so close to the bridge that Bridge Plaza to GWB terminal will absorb most of the commuters--that's a five minute commute into the city with quick turnaround.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 7:43 PM

Quote:
You're right that Fort Lee needs rail. There will likely be thousands of units of highrise apartments added in the coming years.

Good point. North of the Path NJ is underserved by rail and pedestrian crossings to Manhattan. This really needs to be addressed. I'd love to see a new Path tunnel from Secaucus to Weehawken that connects to the light rail and goes to the 7 subway line. I bet Jersey's gold coast will have lots of skyscrapers in 20 years.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
They need to extend rail from Jersey City through Hoboken, Edgewater, and into Fort Lee. From my experience, River Road is extremely over-stressed.

But I think this development is so close to the bridge that Bridge Plaza to GWB terminal will absorb most of the commuters--that's a five minute commute into the city with quick turnaround.
Originally the Hudson Bergen Light Rail was supposed to go up River Road but Edgewater blocked it... The Bus network is beyond over capacity along with the Bridge itself so I don't think adding more buildings is a good idea. But money and corruption are king pins in this state look at Union City , most of those developments were due to backdoor deals. Xanadu is another example whens the madness going to end....our network is collapsing as is , outside of Jersey City or Newark these types of developments should be restricted...

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 3:35 AM

Quote:

That Light Rail line will service a booming corridor & that's where these types of developments should go...like in Englewood which has developments going up everywhere.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 5:12 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

At what point will the entire state of New Jersey be one giant dense housing/highrise city?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 7:40 AM

Quote:

You're probably right, I'm horrible at estimating heights. These buildings will probably be on the other side of the Palisades' crest, so I'm sure it will be less than 300 if you are correct, but certainly over 200.

The present lack of a skyline in the area combined with its proximity to the GW should make this project pack quite a wallop in terms o it's impact on the skyline.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 4:37 AM

This one has been in construction for a while, it is now over 30 stories high.

Some pictures of JohnFlint1985 from SSC and some others from flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFlint1985 View Post
Fort Lee, NJ - as of Sunday
by me

47 fl about 500 ft / 150 m

this building behind the tower is part of the complex is already finished

New Building by GW Bridge por Lydia2222, en Flickr

Fort Lee by the bridge. por autismvox, en Flickr

Some panoramics, not quite new, but good to show the whole area.

DSC00343 por nickvidi, en Flickr

DSC00352 por nickvidi, en Flickr

Another one, you can see the building in the shinning

Sin título por edgar-gonzalez, en Flickr

Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 2:51 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

just one tower going up?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 5:21 PM

For now yes. I think they will begin with the other the next year, once this one is completed or nearly completed.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 9:25 PM

There is a also second large complex about to break ground just to the west.

This second development will be by Tucker Development, and include residential and hotel towers, and a significant retail component.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2013, 2:31 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

i was down here by the lighthouse friday afternoon -
it really stands out!

i think you can stretch this
panorama out a bit if you like:

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 3:59 PM

next page...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive