HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsy View Post

This place is just disgusting, stale tasting fish raw or otherwise. That, and they don't bring you half the food you order.
I'd have to agree. They don't allow all you can eat sashimi, either. That sucks. Sashimi's awesome. BC Sushi (Arbutus and Broadway) serves both spicy salmon sashimi and normal salmon sashimi. Good stuff

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 3:38 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
It's nice because they are a relatively "closed" society and aren't transforming in to the West, the Japanese values are still very strong. It is extremely multi-cultural, and unless you've had French food in both Paris and Tokyo, I don't see how you can argue. My point is that, it's all there, it's all as good and in some cases better than it's home Country (BECAUSE of the quality of work that is insisted upon the Japanese, which *very* FEW other countries implore upon their workers). So I don't see where the argument came from, it's all a matter of personal opinion, based on years of extensive travels around the World, anyways.
I've been to France and Japan.

I can attest that the bakeries and pastries in Japan are as good or better than the French ones ( in general ). It was a shock to me the first time I went to Japan, to see how many bakeries and patisseries were there.

It was also a lot cheaper than I expected.

I can't speak for the Italian, as I've not been to Italy.

I have never had a bad meal in Japan. There may have been ones that I didn't prefer, but they were never "bad" meals (if that makes any sense).

This is partly due to, as Yume mentioned, quality being an important quality to the Japanese.

They will use quality ingredients and people will pay extra for them. As a result, the food ( in general ) can be better than the home country ( in general ). Where you may find an Italian restaurant in Italy to be superb, the next one may be so-so. In Japan, I have found that the food is always excellent, and rarely dips down to "pretty good".

In addition, in the price range that's accessible to most of the public, the food quality is excellent too.

I'll be going to Paris again next week, so I'll be able to compare again firsthand.

The Japanese do sometimes "change" foods to suit the Japanese taste. and once you leave the big cities, "foreign" food becomes hard to find.

Japanese Curry isn't like most of the curry we get here from the North/Punjab region. It's closer to Southern Indian Curry, I've been told.

They also add matcha and red bean varieties in their breads and pastries.

I've also found that Japanese taste buds are more sensitive, as they don't each as much "flavor-intense" food as part of their diet. Japanese food relies more on taste subtleties. I don't know if that makes more of them discriminating foodies, but they do take food quality seriously.

This is something anyone can train though... I think it involves not eating ketchup-flavoured potato chips.

As for restaurants NOT to go to...

Sweet Revenge. Nice atmosphere... but overrated. We had a really rude server as well ( also the owner? )

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 3:40 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
I'd have to agree. They don't allow all you can eat sashimi, either. That sucks. Sashimi's awesome. BC Sushi (Arbutus and Broadway) serves both spicy salmon sashimi and normal salmon sashimi. Good stuff
That's the equivalent of all you can eat steak. Sashimi is expensive, and most places have a limit on how much Sashimi you can order.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2009, 11:30 PM

The worst dining experience I've had was at Transcontinental in the old CP station. Not so much the food, as the pathetically inept service. A total embarassment to Vancouver.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2009, 2:07 AM

I second avoiding Chinese and Korean run Japanese restaurants, but Korean-run ones in particular. I don't know if it's just me, but Korean-run ones seem to love using vegetables and rice as filler and skimp on the meat or noodles or seafood, which is something that really bugs me considering how much they charge, and also something really noticeable at the food-court ones. Anyways, I'd say all-you-can-eat isn't bad imo, you just have to be picky on where you go to. For example, sui sha ya in metrotown has got to be the worst I've been to, while Top Gun in New Westminster is probably the best, although a bit expensive.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2009, 3:38 AM

I know yu gys are talking about places that arent good but since your on the topic of sushi....whats a really good All You Can Et sushi place in Van?

I heard about Tomokazu Japanese Restaurant and also Toyama Jap Resto that have All you can eat tht is really good!

http://www.dineouthere.com/restauran...ll-you-can-eat

what do you guys think? ever been to these places??? or other all u can eat that is awesomer? lol

Old Posted Nov 6, 2009, 3:56 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

The thing with sushi is that even good sushi is relatively cheap in Vancouver, you can order ala carte for roughly the same price as all you can eat. If you insist on all you can eat though I'd recommend Shabuysian (sp) the one at Granville and 14th is the better location.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2009, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
The thing with sushi is that even good sushi is relatively cheap in Vancouver, you can order ala carte for roughly the same price as all you can eat. If you insist on all you can eat though I'd recommend Shabuysian (sp) the one at Granville and 14th is the better location.
Shabusen

I wouldn't recommend ordering all you can eat there. While it isn't bad, you can usually eat for the same price off the menu. They give all you can eat people different food, different plates, and present it differently. The quality difference is drastic between all you can eat, and pay as you eat... but the price really isn't more. They are not giving people who order off the menu, the same food as all you can eat.

Even for yakiniku or shabu shabu, the meat quality is far superior.

Not all you can eat:

All you can eat:

Old Posted Nov 6, 2009, 4:10 AM

I dunno, I usually come out of all-you-can-eat ahead of the game in terms of getting my moneys worth, especially when there's a bunch of 20something guys ordering =P If all you want to eat is sushi, then yeah it's probably not worth it. Add the meat and seafood, and your bill starts adding up. Oh and Ninkazu is the most awesome all AYCE place out there, they've got Japanese AYCE AND hotpot on the same menu. It's ~$26 if I remember for dinner, near aberdeen. On that note, I recommend you avoid HKYK hot pot that's also nearby, if I remember they've been shut down a few times for health violations, and the service/food are really meh.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2009, 4:29 AM

haha thanks guys and yah usog...i agree...i loooove sushi and back home in montreal i would go to this amazing AYCE sushi place called Kanda and i totally miss it. I havent been here for long so finding a good sushi place is hard! Oh and yah we 20 somethings a lot. I love AYCE sushi places that have more then just sushi on the menu. Like grilled squid calamari and shrimp tempura..man this is making me hungry.

Where is this Ninkazu place?
Since i live downtown, any reccommendation for good places downtown that is awesome but isnt too expensive?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2009, 5:19 AM

Hmm, where in Downtown do you live? I know the area around Yaletown pretty good, but admittedly, I've only been to like one restaurant on Denman

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 12:55 AM

i live near stadium near T&T ...there is a couple of sushi places but they look like dumps.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining