HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Apr 15, 2011, 9:37 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotropolis View Post
This development is a condo one with condo fees ... I wonder if it's not a good model, though, Fenwick? We are always behind in housing trends here so it would make sense that a model out of vogue somewhere else is in vogue here.
There are pluses and minuses to freehold. With freehold, each individual is responsible for shingling their own roof, exterior painting, etc. So for such a system to work, you need to have responsible neighbours.

Usually freehold developments would have individual driveways that are on public streets as opposed to private lanes (so it is more like detached homes, but several are joined). With freehold, you actually own your individual lot, as opposed to condo where the land is commonly owned by the condo corporation (I think with a condo you own it, but indirectly - I think legally you own a percentage of the entire land that the condominium sits on, but I am not sure).

I currently have a detached home so I don't have to worry about it being freehold or condo. About 15 years ago I lived in a condo townhouse and the fees were relatively low and there weren't any concerns.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 3:57 AM

Just a quick update on the townhouses (photo by me):

Old Posted Jul 3, 2011, 4:15 AM

They have a "loop" completed though not opened yet. When it opens potential buyers can now go up Gary Martin to Capstone and just circle around the development instead of turning around in some poor blooks driveway. This extension opens up more apartment building, townhouse and single family sites along with two parks. Just a quick shot of the townhouse development on Castlestone Drive;

Old Posted Jul 3, 2011, 12:20 PM

I knew I should have bought stock in the company that makes beige vinyl siding and fake stone veneer.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2011, 1:27 PM
Honored Member

I think that false brick veneer needs to be banned in the HRM. It isn't much better than the fake brick asphalt shingles from a previous era. How many people remember these - http://www.shorpy.com/images/photos/siding.jpg? - this image isn't a great example, but at one time you could buy asphalt shingles that had fake brick patterns (it was before my time but I have seen it on older homes).

Old Posted Jul 3, 2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I think that false brick veneer needs to be banned in the HRM. It isn't much better than the fake brick asphalt shingles from a previous era. How many people remember these - http://www.shorpy.com/images/photos/siding.jpg? - this image isn't a great example, but at one time you could buy asphalt shingles that had fake brick patterns (it was before my time but I have seen it on older homes).

I remember it well. I am unsure whether it was roll stock or strips like roof shingles, but when I was a kid it was quite common. You still see it very rarely.

The one that is new to me but reminds me of the same stuff is the fake stone block. The best example I have found is Chapman Auto Body on Agricola. They redid that place a couple of years ago with something that looks like stone blocks of about 8"x18" or so. It didn't look bad actually. I drove by there today and there has been some damage to the building. The damage reveals that the stuff is simply flat panels with slightly beveled edges that apparently is nailed on. You can imagine how good it looks when it is damaged.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 1:10 AM
we built this city

They only ban height in good ole' HRM.

Why doesn't the ecology action centre get on top of building materials? Vinyl can't be better than wood.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 1:12 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I remember it well. I am unsure whether it was roll stock or strips like roof shingles, but when I was a kid it was quite common. You still see it very rarely.

The one that is new to me but reminds me of the same stuff is the fake stone block. The best example I have found is Chapman Auto Body on Agricola. They redid that place a couple of years ago with something that looks like stone blocks of about 8"x18" or so. It didn't look bad actually. I drove by there today and there has been some damage to the building. The damage reveals that the stuff is simply flat panels with slightly beveled edges that apparently is nailed on. You can imagine how good it looks when it is damaged.
That's the issue... once a piece breaks, its obvious that its all fake.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 8:01 PM

Sub-Area 5 Approved by NWCC

West Bedford is set for expansion once again. On June 23rd (2011) Northwest Community Council APPROVED Case 16775.

This proposal allows for mixed-use development on 115 acres of land between Kearney Lake Road, Kearney Run (watercourse), Highway 102 and Larry Uteck Blvd West. This exerpt is from the planning cases website;

"The applicant has requested to enter in to a development agreement to permit a residential and commercial development on the approximately 115.1 acres (46.5 ha.) site. The proposal is to permit multiple unit dwellings (total of 489 units in 8 proposed buldings) and 202 low density residential units (mix of single unit, semi-detached and townhouse dwellings). The proposal also includes 3.7 acres of neighbourhood commercial uses."

Concept Plan

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 4:31 AM

Dexter's boasting his name again! The land is cleared and the signs are out;

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 4:43 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Is that a replacement for CPA or are they splitting the school up?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 5:03 PM

I am pretty sure it is a replacement for CPA. At least now it is in a much more central location between Hammonds Plains and Bedford.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2011, 4:12 AM

Noise, dust deal allows construction to resume
City lifts stop-work order at site
By PAT LEE Staff Reporter
Sat, Jul 23 - 4:55 AM

Quote:
A stop-work order issued by the City of Halifax at the construction site of a new high school in Bedford was lifted Friday.

Shaune MacKinlay, spokeswoman for the municipality, said the company blasting on the site has taken steps to reduce the noise and dust at the site, on Innovation Drive near the Research in Motion building.

The Chronicle Herlad Article

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 12:57 AM

Just some photos of the townhouses going up on Gary Martin. There are foundations in for two more sets nearby.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 1:57 AM
Honored Member

I like this style. It is a style that I haven't seen in Ontario. There are lots of townhouses being built in the GTA but I haven't seen any like these.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 4:43 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Those are really quite nice looking townhouses, they've got more of modern style finish to them.. although they look similar to the ones on Cloverfield Crt. in Russell Lake West, but the overall layouts/floorplans look like they'd be identical! Nice!

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=...,113.26,,0,1.3

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 6:58 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaliStreaks View Post
Those are really quite nice looking townhouses, they've got more of modern style finish to them.. although they look similar to the ones on Cloverfield Crt. in Russell Lake West, but the overall layouts/floorplans look like they'd be identical! Nice!

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=...,113.26,,0,1.3
I like these Russel Lake ones also - they have a great basement level door entrance in the backyard - http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=...4,,0,4.34&z=17

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 12:26 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I like these Russel Lake ones also - they have a great basement level door entrance in the backyard - http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=...4,,0,4.34&z=17
Yeah this is definitely a HUGE step up from the row-homes along Larry Uteck.
Not so much modern though, as much as they are a nod to 1920s american craftsman style.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 7:37 PM

The new Bedford High School has a blog which can be found here. I don't think it looks as good as Citadel High or Halifax West, but it is quite a big school and will have a nice lot.

Source

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 5:37 AM

Castlestone Drive, Gary Martin Drive townhouses, and the new West Bedford High School respectively;

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs